PDA

View Full Version : IOFS Press Release, 3/31/2009 (A Legend Returns)

charlie74
03-31-2009, 08:08 AM
FENWICK SET TO RETURN IN 2009

Indianapolis, IN - March 30, 2009 - IOFS (International Outlaw Figure 8 Series) officials announced today that veteran Rich Fenwick will be behind the wheel full-time with the newly formed IOFS series. Fewick will make his return at the season opener May 3rd at Kentucky Motor Speedway in Whitesville, KY.

Fenwick, the 1994 National Figure 8 champ, has only competed twice since his retirement in 2001. “The two Outlaw races they had at Anderson last year are what got me excited about getting back in it “insists Fenwick. " I've been wanting to run Anderson with these cars again, so it was perfect timing".

Car owner, Steve Brown, has told Fenwick to run when he wants to. Fenwick stated that he will run the entire IOFS campaign and a few of the bigger events at the Edco Welding Indianapolis Speedrome. “You can’t pass up on an option like that. I might end up doing a couple of races at the Drome, maybe the big ones" explained Fenwick.

Fenwick has stayed involved in the sport since his 2001 retirement. He has been busy building cars for such notable drivers as: Robbie Loving, Rodney Sizemore, Leonard Basham, Charlie Hargraves, and Jeff Hizer. He estimates that he has built around twenty-five cars during this time. Fenwick is quick to point out that he currently has cars competing in Michigan, Florida and Indiana." So far this has been a bad year for me building cars. This is the first year since I've been doing this that I haven’t built anybody a car".

As the new season approaches Fenwick explains he feels great since a surgery two years ago. “I feel like I'm twenty years old again" he states proudly. Fenwick is also excited about the formation of the new IOFS series. “Right now is the time for it to take off. If Charlie (Hargraves) and Dave (Sink) are honest and straight up with everyone, it will work. Now is the time to capitalize on it and make it work. There is really nowhere for us to run these type of cars so the timing may be perfect".

************************************************** ************************************

IN OTHER IOFS NEWS - IOFS and Anderson Speedway officials have confirmed that they have had conversations with representatives of California driver ' Barefoot ' Billy Ziemann's crew. Ziemann has indicated that he will return to the Midwest this fall and plans on competing in the October 10th IOFS season ending event at Anderson Speedway. The event will be the IOFS Championship Night and will be Ziemann's first time to the legendary speedway.

The series has landed a new sponsor for its 2009 ' Hard Charger ' award at each IOFS event this coming season. Authorized AMSOIL dealer, Elmer Schaeffer, has committed as this award sponsor. " We are really excited that Mr. Schaeffer has agreed to sponsor our ' Hard Charger ' award at each race this season" explained Managing Partner, David Sink. " AMSOIL is by far one of the best lubrication products in the industry as well as everyday use. We are honored Mr. Schaeffer has expressed an interest in what we are doing. This should be a great partnership" concluded Sink. Plans currently call for the ' Hard Charger ' recipient to pick up a $100 certificate at each race towards AMSOIL product. Go to: www.lubedealer.com/zoilracing/ for more info on AMSOIL and Elmer Schaeffer.

Series Director, Charlie Hargraves, has indicated that there will be more tires available April 1st. For those planning on competing at the opener May 3rd at Kentucky Motor Speedway, it is advised to pick up tires prior to this event. There will be a limited availability of tires at the track. Tires are $75 each plus tax and available by calling Charlie Hargraves (317) 445-4366 or David Sink (765) 278-8231. Also, the new IOFS hats are available for $15 each and Sink insists they are "real nice". Drivers and fans are encouraged to pick one up as they are limited in quantity.
The IOFS would like to offer our deepest sympathy on the loss of OB of OB's Pub. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family in their time of need. OB was a great supporter of racing and a great man. He will be missed. RIP OB