PDA

View Full Version : How much gas in the tank?

DerbyN8-128
04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Just wondering, if anyone is willing to share, how much gas you will have in your tank for the race? Bare minimum? 1/4 tank? 1/2 tank?

EnduroFromDE
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Im going to think outloud here with this one so.... I could be wrong...
when I race my 4 cyl stock mustang, shown above(everything "stock":angel:) I got about 4-5 mpg...i see a typical 4 cyl maybe getting ATLEASE 10, (8 for big cars)so if a 100 laps race a grandview at 1/3 mile per lap, your looking at 33 miles, if you complete all 100 laps, so you should be safe with a minimum of 4 gallons to start, BUT you have to throw in time to line up, lenthy reds, IF any, and maybe a polish victory lap, so you can go ahead and throw my equations out the window and fill up your tank...lol... really, even if you throw in 10 gallons at 7 lbs a gallon whats an extra 30 lbs to be on the safe side...
Before when I ran Enduros I put in 5 gallons each time i raced and i didnt have a fuel gauge, never ran out, never overfueld and was running the same car for about 2 yrs. Hope this helps, if not...sorry

DerbyN8-128
04-04-2009, 11:27 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking, so yes, it helps. I also do not have a fuel gauge. I know my car was ALMOST out of gas, and I put 7 gallons in at the pump. I drove the car around a little since then, and it sat around idling while I was working on it and stuff so now I am back to having no idea how much is in it.

W. J.
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Better safe than sorry. I saw an enduro driver, who was 2 laps ahead of the field, lose a race once because he ran out of gas on lap 75 of a 100 lapper (the car had an 18 gal. tank). Don't let that happen to you.

richardpetey
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
On dirt, I don't know but I been told.................;)
You need that rear weight or be out in the cold.................:rolleyes:
So fill that cell up and you won't be loose.............:cool:
You can't go wrong with a little weight in the caboose...........:eek:
UNCLE PETEY................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

DerbyN8-128
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
On dirt, I don't know but I been told.................;)
You need that rear weight or be out in the cold.................:rolleyes:
So fill that cell up and you won't be loose.............:cool:
You can't go wrong with a little weight in the caboose...........:eek:

BUT, does this hold true for FWD cars?

I completely agree with what is being said, and was going to just fill my tank and see what happened in the first race, but figured I'd get some opinions first.

richardpetey
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Correct cross-weight on your FWD...........$500................:angel:
Correct tread and wear pattern on your dirt tires........$400..........:applause:
Full tank of fuel and a properly set-up E-brake in the turns..........PRICELESS................... :cheers:
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

EnduroFromDE
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Let me give this poetic theory, that Petey shows, a try..............:confused:
You just may be emarrass if you run that tank dry..............:*-(
I would show caution with Petey's advice, if I was you..............:disgusted
Or you just may find yourself last after being DQ'ed..............:lol::lol:

Just messing wit you R.P.:angel::angel::angel:
Nate, take all the advice you can from Petey, hes been around in Enduros since the Flemington days, if not before.

http://images5.cafepress.com/nocache/product/16043815v2147483647_350x350_Front.jpg

EnduroFromDE
04-05-2009, 10:21 PM
heres a great vid from an enduro at Nazareth in 1988, counted over a 110...speaking of Petey, kinda looks like him hoping off the truck at the end with the hat and the red bandana...could it be...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk42EY_Nzno

DerbyN8-128
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Works for me...thanks :applause:

richardpetey
04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
That was the last race on the ole' Nazareth 1/2 mile dirt track, over 200 enduro cars started that day with $10,000 going to the winner..............:applause:
It was $100+ to enter and was a real nightmare of a race, they watered the track down everytime the speeds went over 50mph....................:disgusted
Some big names in racing finished in the top 10 in that race, except Tim P. and myself, hehe...................:cool:

DerbyN8-128
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
1988 ay? I was four at the time.

Sac-Man
04-08-2009, 08:52 AM
But what I have learned is I always top off the tank.:cheers: A consideration is if you are using the stock tank or a fuel cell. I am using the stock 12 gallon tank in my Grand Am and if I let it get below ½ a tank it will start sucking air on the turns.:-B The fuel pump is in the tank in a plastic bucket that gets drained in the turns.:confused: Nothing sucks more than to get three quarters through a race and then have your car stumble out of the turns due to a lack of gas…:eek:

DerbyN8-128
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
hmmm that's another really good point.

pv18
04-13-2009, 04:57 PM
You cannot have enough rear weight in a FWD.

richardpetey
04-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Its a Tankless job but somebody gotta fill'em....................:rolleyes:
You'll be Tankfull you did...........................;)
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: