PDA

View Full Version : DO your children want to race?

watchinurace
04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
After speaking with Mike Capiello this past Sat, I am wondering how many other racing families have children in the 12-15 year old age group who would be interested in racing either a Legends or Bandolaro car at Riverhead Raceway?
Much to our surprise, as we are new to the INEX Legend Car racing division, we have seen first hand that this young class of drivers is prolific. The field of legend car racers age 12-15 at the tracks our son has competed on down south is amazing. This appears to be the fullest field at each track we have been to.
It is easy to see that these young drivers are the future, and these divisions are affordable and viable. The entertainment and enjoyment is priceless as you watch your child compete in a sport you love.
So I ask now for a show of hands. Would anyone else be interested in allowing and supporting their child race a legend/bandolaro car at Riverhead Raceway?
Bear in mind as you consider this question, the only pay off the driver receives in these young divisions is a trophy and racing experience.
What say you????

voodoocadoo
04-19-2009, 12:23 PM
YES ,My son will be turning 12 and he would ove too

Richie25
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
no matter what you have to be older then 16 to race at riverhead. i dont see why they cant bend this rule with legends drivers as they use a completley difrent licens.

SuperShafts
04-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I would rather a kart 1st, that's me.

Then there is the issue that Richie pointed out..

watchinurace
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I believe the 16 year old age requirement is the promoters prerogative as track owners. It might be possible to change their minds if there is a palpable interest in this young division. I was just wondering how many parents would be interested...

Jaws
04-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I believe it has something to do with having to have a drivers licence? Maybe?

TMAC
04-20-2009, 12:12 PM
My son [12] has asked about it since we stopped racing mx[quad class].But what is the cost for something like a legend car.

EDGEnterprises
04-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Here is a little starter information found from Black's Racing Promotions website... Check it out, gives you some good cost notes and more!!

How much do they cost? This question has depth to it. Initial costs, actual racing costs and savings costs. 600 Racing has put together a racing series with strict rules which pretty much say "keep your tinkering hands off the car." This is a big blessing because it keeps the cost of racing down. The tire rule, the sealed engine rule, the shock rule, the keep your hands off the chassis rule saves everybody in this series big bucks. A low ball figure everyone saves competing in this series is $10,000.00 a year. You do not need to keep up with the latest tricks, parts, and designs. You do not need to have 30 tires of different compounds and sizes. Sure 600 Racing profits from this series. I say god bless them. Racing in any series is not cheap. Racing in the Legends Series is affordable to almost anyone. The money race to keep up with your competitors does not exist. Thank you 600 Racing.

The base cost of all new Legends series cars is $12,995.00 plus the taxes of your State. This can be a healthy $500 to $1000 shock when totaling the bill so keep it in mind. You then will be encouraged to add an external oil cooler and filter plus a Tach and gauges. The external oil cooler is a must, external oil filter a convenience, the Tach is a plus, any other gauges are optional. If you race in N.J. you will need to add a N.J. kit. I recommend you install the NJ Kit wherever you race. Some tracks in the US require mufflers, check with your dealer. If you plan on racing on the road course you need to install the required road course equipment. Expect your total to be $15,000.00.

The dealer delivered the car and it is sitting in you garage. Now you need to make it look like a race car, with a jazzy paint job, decals, and lettering. Do it yourself or call your friends in the biz or expect to pay out another $500.00 to $1000.00. Note: These cars come in different colors at no extra cost. No painting really required.

Wow! You have the car looking sharp and ready to go racing. Hold on there, you need more stuff.

If you are new to racing you will need safety gear; fire suit, gloves, helmet, shoes, neck brace, nomex underwear and sox. You are looking at $800.00 to $1000.00. Fancy stuff, much more. (Note: You must have the proper SFI rated gear and Snell rated racing helmet. No motorcycle or M rated helmets)

Now you need to get it to the track. If you already have a trailer you are in business. If you don't, there are many options. They make units that slide in your pickup bed that will haul the car, inexpensive open trailers to very expensive enclosed trailers. I suggest a 16' enclosed trailer. You are looking at $3000.00 to $5000.00 for a good enclosed trailer. Get a car hauling trailer. They are lower to the ground and the rear door comes down as a loading ramp. You can go crazy spending a lot of money painting and outfitting a trailer. What? You don't even have a truck to pull the trailer! You are on your own here. We know from experience bigger is better. Diesel is better than gas. An F 250 or Dodge 2500 series or equivalent is what you are looking for. Get what you can afford and add the price to your racing cost.

Phew! The wife is starting to get a little ticked off about now, but the race car looks great, the trailer is finally lettered, you look spiffy in your new racing gear, and you are getting a lot of good comments about your new truck from neighbors and friends.

Hey! Lets load up and go racing. Hold it. Not yet. Go back to the bank. You need some specialty tools to set the car up to be competitive. We are not talking about welders, portable generators, air compressors, or normal hand tools here. We are talking scales, caster/camber gauges and a toe in/toe out gauge. Add about $2000.00 for good stuff.

The wife just got back from shopping with a new stopwatch, a racing clip board, and new video camera to record this momentous occasion. There went another $1.000.00.

Your INEX membership cards arrived for you and your wife at a cost of $200.00.

Well that is the big stuff, but you are not done spending yet and you never will be.

NOW you are ready to load up and go racing. But don't only load up the race car, load up your wallet with cash also. When you get to the track your INEX card may get you in but you will still need to buy pit passes to get in the pits. The average cost of pit passes is $15.00 to $25.00 each, depending on the track. If the track doesn't honor the Inex membership you may need to buy a track membership or pit license which is a once and done fee. We have paid as low as $5.00 to as high as $30.00 for these licenses. There may also be a yearly local series membership fee at another $20.00 to $25.00 and a car registration fee of $5.00.

Well, you signed in. paid your fees and you are in the pits. Find a place to park and unload the car. Find the car registration shack and sign the car in. Oh yea, that is where you pay the car registration fee.

Time to go racing. You crashed in the heat race? Take out that wallet loaded with cash and run to the parts truck and buy new parts. Rush back to the car and get it ready for the B main or the feature. Take a moment and a deep breath and look around. Watch all the other racing teams doing the same thing.

WELCOME TO RACING. Glad to have you on board. Come race with us.

You can read more at..... http://www.blacksracing.com/legends/legends.shtml

SuperShafts
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
You don't even have a truck to pull the trailer! You are on your own here. We know from experience bigger is better. Diesel is better than gas.

Did you say a $6k diesel option to pull a itty bitty wittle 16' trailer.....

2008 and newer Diesels don't get that great mpg they used to with the new emmissions laws, so the $6k investment never pays off in mpg like it used to.
So saying to get a 10 mpg diesel without a load at higher fuel prices then gas would be a bad choice....
Sure you can delete the egr and dpf and get some mileage back and to do that you need to drop another $2k or more to be set straight with that (tuner, exhaust mods, egr plates), but then the warranty is void..... $50k and no warranty is something to think about...

So the 1500 Dodge with the killer fixed hemi for 2009 is the answer, and will pull that trailer silly all day long...2500 isn't even needed...

Or You could use a VW to pull that, and make the VW match the legend in paint....

For those thinking about this..... i got a Dodge W350 crew that'll spank some ricers while pulling 12,000 lbs

modprincess8x
04-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Isn't that the point of the go-kart club at Riverhead Raceway (EEKR)? Your children can start racing at age 5 and can continue until they're old enough to get in a car at 16 or stay in the karts and run as long as they want!

The Bullfather
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
:applause:
Go-karts are a great foundation for Long Islanders. For the amount of space on this small Island and number of racers, the younger kids benefit more from the go-karts. The legends are a great division, but we are not dealing with a whole state like North Carolina which is the epicenter of racing. The go-kart drew great numbers this past weekend. I know Chris Young has done a great job so far down south in a legend car and I know he will keep improving on his skills. But if your serious in taking your kid to next level in racing, then most likely you go the extra distance to bring him there! A lot of the kart guys travel to nationals also and other events. But I hate to see overzealous parents push their kids into a legend car, then start them in a smaller division like karts or TQ midgets like NJ. If you believe in your kid and he has the drive and fortitude in himself, go for it! :) I'm not judging anyone on raising their children that's between them and their kids!

watchinurace
04-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Having been involved in racing most of our lives, our opinion is that the Legends division is a great starter division for our son. This in no way takes away from the karting club.
Legend car racing is not just popular in NC but is an International division with competition happening in many states and as far away as Canada and England.
We are all entitled to our opinions as stated above and I was just wondering if there would be an interest in a young division of Legend racers at Riverhead Raceway.
We do plan on running a limited schedule off Long Island unless the promoters of Riverhead Raceway consider what other promoters have done and allow INEX members younger than 16 to compete. I have received a few private messages from other parents interested in this young division and I encourage anyone else with interest to speak with Mike Capiello or call the track and convey your thoughts. This division has one of the largest field of cars down south and I dont believe it would take long to fill a division here. The goal being to bring revenue to the track and experience to our kids here at home...

SuperShafts
04-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Isn't that the point of the go-kart club at Riverhead Raceway (EEKR)? Your children can start racing at age 5 and can continue until they're old enough to get in a car at 16 or stay in the karts and run as long as they want!

Yeah, and or step right into a more advanced division...

EDGEnterprises
04-21-2009, 05:53 PM
It all depends on the money to fund the operation... Major difference in cost from a Go-Kart to a Legends Race Car... The upkeep of each is much different, there are a lot of things for anyone who "wants to make the next step", needs to consider before making that step...

Just my thoughts...

rydogg97
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
had the chance to talk briefly with your son on saturday. i recognized him from pic on jam. he is a great person to talk to. i asked why he wasnt out there and he explained that his age prevents him from racing here. i think that it is ridiculous he can race else where and not at home. he has a good head on his shoulders and will make a good driver. he is fortunate that he has great parents that back him witth his efforts. all the best of luck in the future. and yes i think that the ideas presented would be great to start young people out in racing. im looking into a go kart for my daughter.

watchinurace
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
had the chance to talk briefly with your son on saturday. i recognized him from pic on jam. he is a great person to talk to. i asked why he wasnt out there and he explained that his age prevents him from racing here. i think that it is ridiculous he can race else where and not at home. he has a good head on his shoulders and will make a good driver. he is fortunate that he has great parents that back him witth his efforts. all the best of luck in the future. and yes i think that the ideas presented would be great to start young people out in racing. im looking into a go kart for my daughter.

Thanks for such a great compliment. Our future pride in our son will come from the positive role model we know he has the potential to be. We would love to see him compete this year at Riverhead Raceway and in large part was the reason we surrounded him with winning people down south, so as to gain valuable "seat time" before competing at his home track. We wanted to ensure he had a solid base. For now we will continue to build on that base by travelling to Waterford Speed Bowl on a limited schedule to compete on Wed nights. In March Christopher contacted Waterford Speed Bowl regarding age requirements and Brian Darling sent along a prompt email response welcoming him and spoke of looking forward to having him compete at Waterford Speed Bowl. We will also run Concord and LOWES on a limited basis. Chris will be 16 in Dec. so until then he will continue to learn the mechanics of racing that must take place in the garage, to be successful on the track. Competition at Riverhead Raceway will have to wait till 2010.
We will however, continue to be advocates for this young driver division as it is the future of short track racing. Many race tracks here in the North are (like the Southern tracks) embracing and allowing younger racers to compete in both the bandolaro and legend divisions because they are revenue producing for the promotors, and afforable for the parents. Children racers not only draw race fans, they draw extended family and a target market of teenagers. So who knows maybe the promotors of Riverhead Raceway will change their policy when armed with new information and a possibility of an increase in revenue. Their goal is always to fill seats and put on a show. These kids can do both and in a timely manner.