PDA

View Full Version : Improving the Southern Tour

TJ1976
04-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Ok guys and gals ..let hear it

Aside from offering the drivers a bigger purse, what other ideas do you guys got to make the Southern Tour more attractive

SIModified
04-20-2009, 01:07 AM
Drop a bomb on the Stadium.

Brian Hawks
04-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Nice quick response that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Is the stadium closing going to help the purse?
Is the stadium closing going to fix the junk tire the Southern Tour currently runs on?
The ONE race where you get over 10,000 people, you want to CLOSE that race?
Closing the stadium is going to help our economy where we can get a better car count.. Wrong.. Sponsors wanna see your car going to Bowman Gray Stadium.

You complain about BGS.. Randy runs his Modified Tour all the way through BGS Season.. pays more... AND let's you take tires. And you cuss him out? Sounds like you just need to take over everything don't ya?

Tinkfan
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Back in the day, plenty of tracks run on Saturday night when the stadium was running. Of course that is back when modifieds were plentiful. A touring series needs to pay more than what the Whelen Southern tour pays. But where do you get it? NASCAR needs to step up and help the Southern Tour with the purse.

The ASA Tour has a better purse but will most likely suffer car count wise when they run against the stadium....and that stinks.

rlizon17
04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
NASCAR seems to be the key to it all. They put a lot of effort into the CW East Series a few years ago and they seemed to gain a lot of popularity or at least media attention. That also forced out the long time supporters of the series. It seems they can make what they want of anything they have their hands on.

As far as the Southern Mods:
1) I think if they increase the purse
No question about this. Without a decent pay day, it does not matter what the division is. Fewer cars show, less interest, fewer fans in the stands.

2) create a non conflicting schedule with the North Tour
I think this would keep TC, Ronnie Silk, maybe Rowan P. & Erick Ruldoph as well as a few others racing for both titles.

3) arrange a tv deal for a handful of the North and South races
Ideally they would televise every race in both tours. Realistically, if they picked 5-7 North races 5-7 South Races, the same # for CW East & West races, as well as a couple broadcast from the most competitive Whelen All American Series Weekly Tracks, it would help with exposure.

4) tire rule and race distance
Make them conducive to a solid balance of hard charging and tire conservation. I think the 100 lap only able to change the RR softer compound tires in the R.o.C. Tour put on a great show. Imagine The Sizzler back to 80 laps. I think 100 laps able to change a single tire would add a lot of strategy, less conservation and more hard racing to each show.

As far as Bowman Gray, it is not for everyone. There is still no reason to ruin a good thing. I am in NY but saw a show at BG and was blown away by the fan support there. Why would you take anything away from the highest attended track that showcases the modifieds? The Southern Tour is what is not working so add to it rather than take away from something that is doing well. I am pretty sure that if individuals were making enough money to justify the expense of racing, the only reason they would not run as many races as they could would be conflict in schedule. Look at the Dirt Modified drivers in NY.

I have a follow up question. If these NASCAR tours were strengthened, what would it do to the True Value, R.o.C. and ASA tours? It seems to me NASCAR has carved off just enough to keep the rest of the modifieds fighting for leftovers, and I am not sure they would want it any other way?

SIModified
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Brian,
Why don't you move up north with Kimberly and go pay your dues for 10 or 15 years and get an education on how things are supposed to be. Either that, or go ask Randy for a job as his PR guy. Because it's clear to me you've never seen what a real modified touring series or a regular NASCAR weekly program looks like.

It's amazing to me that folks like Brian can sit there and accept the way things are and settle for it. Sadly, his mindset is of the majority of folks in the southern modified community.

Randy got cussed out at Rougemont for a bad call. It was supposed to be an ASA Series race, and he refused to step up over Brooksie and correct a bad call. So therefore, in my opinion, Randy had no business even being there.

Secondly, Randy's ASA races are all about Randy, and what Randy wants. Go ask the Hills who walked over to their pit and looked at their tires, then marched down to the #1 pit to let Burt know what the tire situation was. (Don't deny it Randy, because everyone on the 79 team saw you do it.)

Thirdly, the Stadium is the major issue with the tour because they feel they have the right to shut the tour down for four months in the PRIME summer months so they don't lose any cars. Problem is, the guys who run the tour and the stadium have two cars and it would never be an issue to begin with.

There's so much wrong with what's going on down here and nobody with deep enough pockets (or a bomb) to make it right.

Places like Motor Mile want a summer date, but Gray and his people won't let that happen. Gray Garrison has NO BUSINESS meddling in the Tour's schedule or business, but yet he's always around making sure the stadium doesn't get left out. To me, that's pure and total BS.

So as I said previously, until the competitors and NASCAR go against what has been tradition and starts running races in the summer time, the pathetic car counts will continue.

Then you say Randy's races pay more and lets you take tires. If that's the case, then why are so many guys telling me they didn't get paid after they ran an ASA race?? Randy is a victim of his own pride. Instead of pulling in the same direction trying to make the situation better, he's stuck in his own orbit thinking about himself and how HE can save things. Why doesn't Randy try and get Dillion, Franklin County, Tri-County, Hickory and Rougemont on the NASCAR Tour?? Because then, HE wouldn't be in charge and look like the hero "saving us" from NASCAR.

Randy's had his time as a tour director. I wasn't around when the SMART Tour ran, but if it's anything like what that Rougmeont call was, or running 15 laps under caution at Friendship with a 15 year old girl crying on the officials channel because she's afraid the cars are going to run into the track crew truck while they spread speedy dry, or watching a crew member go after Frank Fleming's window net under a red flag, or a fight between crew members in front of the fans on the front stretch pit road after the race.......

I understand Rougemont was a C&C race. I know everybody got paid from that event. So, let's not try and defend Randy based on that....

And for the record Randy....Brian dragged your name into this, I just said we needed to get away from the Stadium to begin with.

Brian Hawks
04-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Charli... I'll tell you once... I'd advise my wife's name to stay outta your mouth...

Moving on.... So because your from the North and watched the Tour for 10-15 years.. Your an expert and can run the Southern Tour. I'm sure NASCAR is taking applications and you need to find something to do.. go apply for the job.

NASCAR AND SMART have made the choice to sit on the sidelines during the BGS Season. Well, to be honest SMART actually had Sunday races.. We ran more in the summer months. So..

And explain to me Charli how you've paid your dues and the Southern Tour just isn't going to work.. It's been NASCAR for the past 20 years.. Bowman Gray is NOT the problem.. That's my point. If your that BLIND I'm sorry.

You cussed Randy out because 2 cars didn't get out of the leaders way. You got NO chance of winning a race if the leader is right behind you. It pretty much costed everyone a chance at seeing Brunnhoelzl, Silk and Matt a great finish. If your car was a lap down then... or 20 laps from then.. it would not have mattered. And Randy let Dick Brooks make the calls. Only thing ASA about that race was the points.

And you think Randy should HELP NASCAR gets these tracks he's gotten? Why don't you bother doing your own research. Hickory could't afford NASCAR. Motor Mile really does not have any interest. And these other tracks are ASA. They support Mods.. Just not NASCAR.

My point is Charli. A crappy purse, a crappy tire, and piss poor way the Southern Tour is ran.. HAS Nothing to do with Bowman Gray Stadium. And just because you don't like Bowman Gray Stadim doesn't mean JACK. It's doing something right, otherwise 15,000 people wouldn't show up weekly and a TV Series wouldn't be based on the track. The #1 Short Track in the USA. So Maybe you should take notes where Ive paid my dues all my life.. They are doing fine while the Tour is struggling.

While you have about 10 complaints about ASA... I could sit here and name about the same number of things that I've seen at a NASCAR Race. But your little name calling try to scare people away from ASA is stupid. I don't need a PR job helping them. I support short track racing no matter what it is. Your the one trying to get the massive PR guy and become something.

My point is to everyone.. Charli talks a very big game on here and trys to rally everyone together. But this is not Bowman Grays fault. Plenty of Friday and Sundays in the summer to run these Mod shows if they don't want to conflict with BGS. And the last time I checked.. Only 3-4 at the MAX compete at BGS on a weekly basis. But again... I'm not worried about the fans. Go ahead and run the Tour ALLLLLLLLLLL Summer long. Who is going to be there to watch it? Your not gonna beat 10 bucks a head at BGS.. The fans will stil be there.

TJ1976
04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Gentlemen,

Lets try to refrain from the personal attacks. Take it outside of here

As far as my suggestions goes

Offering a bigger purse - The amount of money the teams spend for a single race is outrageous(entry fees, food, tires, fuel, and so on), so offering them some more money to compete would be an incentive for more teams to show

Track variety - Having more tracks to race at on the tour would give it more exposure.

Advertisement - NASCAR doesen't do a very good job advertising the modified races. When we went to Martinsville last year we didn't see or hear a single announcement on the radio until AFTER the race was over

Scheduling - I think its very well possible to run races around the Sat night summer schedule. It worked well for many years when tracks like Riverside and Waterford would run on Sat nights and the Tour races would run on Sun or an off day like Thurs or Fri. i just don't know if NASCAR would do on Sundays now since they have a multi-billion dollar contact with the TV networks to show a race on Sun

and to go along with what Brian just said....paying $10 or even $12 to see a tour race is one heck of deal. Do that for all the races along with a combination of everything else and you'll see more people in the stands

SIModified
04-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah...go ahead and run the Tour all summer long and the fans would see some real racing, and not this "crappy" follow the leader dump 'em to win kind of "racing" you seem to love so much.

Do you honestly think the Riggs team, the Myers, Browns, Brunnhoelzl's, Flemings, Hutchens and everyone else would waste their time showing up at the stadium when they could be racing at a place they could actually have a decent race at??

That's my whole point....you can't race at the Stadium, but yet because of the Stadium, you can't race anywhere else when they're running.....

Brian Hawks
04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Charli, seems to me instead of PR you might wanna go get some sponsorship for a modified. They want their name on a stadium car around here.

Brown/Myers (ONLY BURT) and Bobby ran full-time last year that also ran full-time on the tour. Add Gene Pack to the mix this year IF he completes the entire tour. The only two up front cars here at Brown and Myers that would have to make the choice of which to run full-time. Jason didn't run full-time last year.

You blame Bowman Gray Stadium and tell me to learn how to run a tour. This isn't BGS fault. NASCAR agreed to this. And knows they can't compete with Bowman Gray so they don't even try.

Speaking of making a choice. You'll come out for the better at BGS. Money you spend to money you win.

Point is... You can point your finger at BGS. But that doesn't help we run Caraway 7 times. We run on a junk tire. We don't pit. We have a purse that is LESS than the SK purse at Wall on a regular night for a 100 lap race. HELLO. There is little to NO advertisement about the Tour. Hell, Ace had a commercial for the race that was rained out talking about the SMART Modified Tour.

You can belittle me all you like Charli. But Gray Garrison is much smarter at what he does than your trying to be on here. The Mods are running "Cone Races" on just about every night this summer. Only one night did tons of damage come outta this. And they make a TV Series about it.. Most of the time you don't see a dump and run for the win... but it's a FLAT 1/4 Mile and it does happen.

Oh.. And go ask Tim Brown where he makes money racing.. It sure isn't getting that nice point fund the Tour has. Make a point that's valid and I'll agree. But just making a simple remark blaming it on something successful and has been successful for over 50 years is stupid.

monty57mod
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Drop a bomb on the Stadium.

Looks like you've been playing those simulation games too long......

SIModified
04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Ha! I wish it was that easy.....

NC Mudcat
04-21-2009, 07:16 AM
BGS.....I hate that place. But it is not what is ruining a Southern tour, IMO. In fact, shut down BGS and you shut down Southern mods altogether, not help a tour. Without BGS, most southern mod teams close up shop, not look for alternatives.

Add money to the purse. When LMSC are running for twice the money at Caraway, something is extermely wrong. Look at the crowds: twice as many for the mods, with half the purse. Why do you think Russell wants so many races?

Tires. Back in the day when the race was made interesting by the question of who would change tires and who would not, it was great racing. Now, not so much.

Advertising: I live 20 minutes from Caraway, 45 minutes from Ace and 1 hour from Martinsville, and the advertising is virtually non-existent. However, I am not sure it would help. The race fans get their info from the WWW, and the other folks that would hear it on the radio or see it in the paper probably aren't going anyway.

i don't have many suggestions, but honestly, I have just about stopped going to the Southern tour races; just not enough cars and excitement anymore. But that's just me. But don't tell me the tour can't work: if PASS can draw 42 super late model cars to Hickory for the Easter Bunny 150, there is no reason someone can't make a go of the mod tour. I'm up for one Sunday evening race per month. And let's get back to the 3 race weekend they used to run for July 4th for the southern tour. JMO.

worm
04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
has no problem getting cars and good pay out.

jfp711
04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
The first thing would be the obvious bigger purses, NASCAR needs to run the southern shows like the northern races, Give the teams some damn tires, give em some $$ run during the summer months, Does anybody on this board thinks it makes any sense to sit idle during the summer ???? There are some pretty neat tracks the tour could run and put on a great show, again giving em at least 2 tires. 14 modifieds at lanier for $2000.00 to win = a joke.

The cost to run a southern mod is the same as a northern mod so why run for a smaller purse, same type of chassis, brakes, wheels, engines....ect.
Just my 2 cents worth

BOBBY D
04-22-2009, 10:35 AM
At least .give them 2 tires. So they can . Put on a good show .

For the race fans to enjoy.that is the only way.to make .

The race competive .so the fans .will come back.and see what modified racing . Is all about.

monty57mod
04-22-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm up for one Sunday evening race per month. And let's get back to the 3 race weekend they used to run for July 4th for the southern tour. JMO. Yea, I miss those Caraway-Concord-TriCounty weekends. Some of the best races of the year.

Tinkfan
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I was reading on Phil Smith's Looking Back last week where they raced Metrolina on Friday, Hickory on Saturday and Caraway on Sunday back in 1974. Those were the days!!