PDA

View Full Version : Bowman Gray

JinxNC
04-26-2009, 03:57 PM
I guess I will add fuel to the "stadium" debate. Last night had to be the biggest joke of a race I have ever seen in any form of motorsports. Thank god for the cone deal, or there would have been NO passing period. The first 100 laps were nothing but a choo-choo train. PLease get the modifieds out of that hole, and put them somewhere that they can actually RACE.

NC Mudcat
04-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you. I actually hesitated to post, as it usually leads to getting hammered, but I made the trip to BGS last night as well. I always go once a year, to convince myself yet again why I never go twice a year. It was nothing else going on around here, and I should have went to the go-kart race. The mods were terrible. The only excitement was when they restarted double file and Brent Elliott, who restarted third, drove way in over his head to keep second-starting Tim Brown from getting inside, and took himself out along with innocent victim leader Michael Clifton. Brown went on unchallenged to win.

It amazes me that so many fans go to that place every week to see this mess, but I will admit, 17,000 fans disagree with me. The place was packed. It is a shame they don't know just how good modified racing can really be. JMO.

TonyP
04-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Brent said his throttle hung.

TJ1976
04-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I found the modifieds at BGS to be very boring last night. For some reason, BGS knows how to pack the house every week. Wish we could get that kind of crowd or even half of it for the tour races

I wonder if the racing at BGS would be different if the track was widened and banked. Give it the same configuration of Riverside Park

SIModified
04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
I hate to say "I told you so," BUT.....

I TOLD YOU SO. :wave:

"Racing" at Bowman Gray s**ks.

NC Mudcat
04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Brent said his throttle hung.

It would be hard to argue that point, to be honest.

jfp711
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
The place is electric, but the racing is pretty bad, the modifieds should be running where they can put on a good show, still can not believe the tour does not run when the stadium is running, too bad there is not a sanctioning body with a set of nuts to challenge that joint.

Brian Hawks
04-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Ever think maybe 17,000 people show up for OTHERS reasons than Mods?
Maybe that's why a Southern TOUR race doesn't get 1,000 people.

Southern TOUR Racing Currently SUCKS also..
BGS is follow the leader.. People complained so they use double file restarts. It adds some excitement.

You can tell me so.. And tell me I don't know what weekly racing is.. But tell me where you'll see 110 cars at ANY weekly track between 4 divisions. WITH that many fans. If you don't like it.. Go hide at Caraway with the other 150 fans and 4 late models. No biggy. Or wait for a Tour race where they run follow the leader and basically ride around for 120 laps saving these junk tires we run on. Either way... your going to get a boring race.

mrhotrod
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
I usually just lurk. But, I have to say I'm just happy that we have modifieds down here in NC and thankful for the Stadium and the tour. I'd rather watch a bad modified race every now and then; than see a Cup or late model race on their best days.

JinxNC
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
It certainly sounded as though Elliot's throttle was hung. By the time his car got to us (sitting at the entrance of turn one) it was already against the rev limiter. Tough luck for all involved.

The main reason the stadium is always packed is a. affordability, and b. there is always some kinda drama. Its like Proffesional Wrestling on 4 wheels. "So and so bumped so and so out of the way and he is going to get him back next week." Then the following week the guy that got hit goes to get the guy that him back and in the process takes out another guy, all because they are trying to race on a track that would be good for only 1/4 midgets to run on. And so the drama goes on week to week. There is always a story. Even some of the drivers get on the PA after the race and hoop and holler. All they are missing is "Mean Gene" doing the interviews. For anyone who has never seen it, I advise you to go. It is quite hilarious.

If you go to the stadium and pay 10 bucks to see racing, you arer getting screwed. If you go pay 10 bucks to get entertained from the antics of both some of the drivers and some of the fans, you'll be getting a bargain. But even slap-stick comedy gets old aftera while.

Tinkfan
04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I wonder how many stadium "regulars" will skip the race May 9th and head to Franklin County for the ASA Tour race up there?

burtmyers1
04-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Burt said if he had another bad night next week he might go Franklin County

Tinkfan
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I have talked to Jason before and he loves the place. I would expect Jason to be there for sure. But he did have a pretty good run at the stadium this past Saturday night.

jfp711
04-28-2009, 01:02 PM
jinxNC,
Man you hit the nail square on the head, I guess Brian likes entertainment rather than racing, I can't add anything else to that, well said.

monty57mod
04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
jinxNC,
Man you hit the nail square on the head, I guess Brian likes entertainment rather than racing, I can't add anything else to that, well said.

Someone should start a "I don't like Brian" thread and be done with it...

Brian Hawks
04-28-2009, 06:26 PM
More power to ya. I really wish the best to any kind of Modified racing. And if I can attend the race I always do. Hate to miss one. I for one support all local weekly tracks I can. Seems like everyone in the South instead of fixing a problem just complains about it.. Oh well.

corey17
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Just so ya know, I did some interviews after the race, Brent's throttle did indeed stick, Burt had the rear-end fall out, and Jason had the tranny go bad.

Modified racing at the stadium isn't what it used to be for sure. The days of Ralph Brinkley, Satch Worley and Paul Radford going side-by-side are over. To simply put it, the cars have outgrown the track, the last car is just as fast as the first car. After driving on it for 30 years, I guess everybody has figured it out. It is still the best place to watch a race I've ever been, every once in a while you can watch a good mod race, but aside from them, every other division is good, with hard racing. I travel to tracks all up and down the East coast every week, and have yet in my life seen the passion and drive that Bowman Gray and it's fans produce, hands down. Somebody above said that Brian would rather be "entertained" than watch a race. Hate to burst your bubble, but racing IS "entertainment" my friend.

NC Mudcat
04-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Just so ya know, I did some interviews after the race, Brent's throttle did indeed stick, Burt had the rear-end fall out, and Jason had the tranny go bad.

Modified racing at the stadium isn't what it used to be for sure. The days of Ralph Brinkley, Satch Worley and Paul Radford going side-by-side are over. To simply put it, the cars have outgrown the track, the last car is just as fast as the first car. After driving on it for 30 years, I guess everybody has figured it out. It is still the best place to watch a race I've ever been, every once in a while you can watch a good mod race, but aside from them, every other division is good, with hard racing. I travel to tracks all up and down the East coast every week, and have yet in my life seen the passion and drive that Bowman Gray and it's fans produce, hands down. Somebody above said that Brian would rather be "entertained" than watch a race. Hate to burst your bubble, but racing IS "entertainment" my friend.

Good comments. I stand corrected about Brent's throttle, and apologize to the one I offended.

What happened to Jr. Miller on the parade lap?

Indeed, the cars are too good for the track. Back in the day, which for me started in the early 70s, the cars slid all over the place and allowed for passing. That doesn't happen now.

If it's entertainment you seek, then this is the place. Personally, I am entertained by good racing, and it doesn't happen there for me, so I just choose not to go very often. I'll drive 2 hours to Franklin County next Saturday to see 8 mods race before I'll drive 30 minutes to BGS. But again, I can complain all I want, but 17,000 fans disagree with me, so I will say they are doing something right.