View Full Version : Flash in disguise?

M T Pockets
04-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Stafford 19th Annual TSI Harley Davidson "100"

$4000 to win $1500 for 3rd $1000 for 10th $500 23rd to 31st

:cheers: to the Arute's for a negotiation well done.:disgusted:mad:at our pimp

M T Pockets
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
It's not money!!! I'LL RACE FOR FREE IF STAFFORD DONATES THE BACK GATE TO CHARITY AND NASCAR MATCHES IT!

MT

BigMac
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
What's this all about? Your right in that the Stafford schedule never listed a 150 lap race on May 22nd. Of course, admission prices are about the same. I hope its not true.

LiquidBread
04-27-2009, 10:03 PM
WOW! What a buzz kill after this weekend. I'll contribute one round trip airfare for a tenth place team member to the NWMT banquet if Stafford donates proceeds to charity. When does the other shoe drop?

holleratme
04-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Funny no word about the purse at Stafford Sunday .......... THEN open the Monday Mail. Hummmm mail sent Friday in Fla to get to North east on Monday and no one knows on Sunday. Looks like Smoke and Mirrors :wave:

Jaws
04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Is there a reduced admission, Stafford should only charge about $20.00 for a race that pays $4,000.00 to win. Not the $35.00 or so they usually charge. Even at $20.00 with the crowd they get they will make a killing, How about the back gate, that should be much lower too.

BigMac
04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
$30/$45 Its funny, they have the admission prices posted but not the race distance. i guess we can expect a buzz kill after every race now.

holleratme
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Is there a reduced admission, Stafford should only charge about $20.00 for a race that pays $4,000.00 to win. Not the $35.00 or so they usually charge. Even at $20.00 with the crowd they get they will make a killing, How about the back gate, that should be much lower too.

PURSE SMALLER ......... Tires MORE, Entrance SAME, Motors SAME, Travel MORE,

BEING UPFRONT ABOUT IT ............ NEVER HAPPEN

REMEMBER WE GOT THIS IN A "FLASH":mad:

BUT We can go to the Banquet in Concord NC ???????????? WOW

Axel
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
From this fans perspective, if it aint 150 laps I aint goin--and this is a race I go to every year. I want to get my monies worth, especially if i am spending 8hours getting there and going home.

Contact the speedway and let them know how you feel. http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/AboutTheTrack/ContactUs.htm

MandyB
04-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Wait... What's going on next month? I'm surprised I haven't heard about it yet. And there's nothing listed on the site (as others have mentioned).

They're seriously considering shortening the race to 100 laps? That's bull.

chrome horn
04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I think MT Pockets has the right call. You can't fault stafford for making a smart business move. The powers that be running the tour sending owners and drivers down the river are the ones that need to be emailed

Axel
04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
who makes the ultimate call then on the race format and purse?

Modhauler
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I say the teams give the show nascar pays for!!!

Jaws
04-28-2009, 09:59 PM
From this fans perspective, if it aint 150 laps I aint goin--and this is a race I go to every year. I want to get my monies worth, especially if i am spending 8hours getting there and going home.

Contact the speedway and let them know how you feel. http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/AboutTheTrack/ContactUs.htm

Long message sent. Please everyone do the same.

If the crowd is good and field is good what stops the track from continuing to cut the purse? While keeping the front and back gate so high.

I will report if the track responds to my e-mail.

Jaws
04-28-2009, 10:02 PM
By the way, this is the only tour race without a distance listed.

http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/BoxOffice/2009-SCHEDULES/sched052209.htm

But they do list the admission.

BigMac
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Has there been an official announcement of any kind stating this is all true? Is it on the entry form??

I do know that the front gate is $5 less than the Sizzler for 100 less laps if this is fact. I bet cautions would count too.

uticamike
04-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm loath to ask this but......what do you people think is a better show. 150 laps/yellows count or 100 lap ALL green? I went to the TVMS opener at Monadnock this past weekend and I like their ALL green format. You still get to see
good cars with early problems come back through the field (Dwight Jarvis did it twice) and I didn't feel cheated not seeing pit "strategy". Now I don't know if this
shortend race is all green or not and if it is yellows count than that does suck.
If you need to vote with your feet. There are options.

LiquidBread
04-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Long message sent. Please everyone do the same.

If the crowd is good and field is good what stops the track from continuing to cut the purse? While keeping the front and back gate so high.

I will report if the track responds to my e-mail.

Message sent as well. If things stand, I'm voting with my feet as well as my wallet. Guess I'll be mowing the grass and burning steaks that weekend. At least the prime mate won't be annoyed. Whatever your opinion, don't sit on the the sidelines. In the immortal words of Bob Grant; "Let's Be Heard!".

oleblue
04-29-2009, 01:16 AM
the sizzler and fall final have always been 5 dollars more than the may and august tour stops at stafford. i really hope it is still 150 laps. stafford is always packed full for the tour races, so i dont think front gate money is the problem

BigMac
04-29-2009, 07:24 AM
True, but the race has always been 150 laps. Fans are now paying the same admission price as last year for a lesser event. How does Stafford justify charging the same admission price for a lesser event. He's charging the same price to get in but giving the teams less money to race. His haul is still the same.

Pack sand Mr. Arute

Axel
04-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Since it's 1/3 less race, perhaps the ticket price should be 1/3 less too. I know these guys have operating expenses, but is it that much more or are you getting 1/3 less people coming in the gate?

MJProcko
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, let's see, back when the whole flash race idea came about we had folks in the mod community screaming that this is the way for the tour to go, smaller races, smaller purses and everyone would love them. This wasn’t a majority of folks by any means but they were vocal on websites so they must be right….

At the same time I and others said that the flash race would be the end of the WMT, after all what was going to happen when Thompson and Stafford says "why are we paying full price for tour races when we are the ones keeping the tour afloat." They were going to want in too and the tour would be reduced to little races with little purses and you knew that the "reduced" admissions would be a fantasy, after all, you've already established what you'll pay to see a modified race and they know it. You need your fix, even if it is just a small fix, and you'll pay whatever it takes to get that fix.

How well were the flash races attended? Not nearly the crowds for the Sizzler and Icebreaker this season. Why the big difference? Because, these 2 races were major, quality events, big races rich in history and not just some cheap little affair, not just another ho hum race as we barnstorm every little track along the Eastern seaboard. For the tour to be a success again they need quality not quantity.

Axel
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
MJP- I have to disagree on two things:

1. I think alot of people like all green flag format, but I dont think one person agreed about the purse.

2. I was at the flash race at Spencer last year and that place was probably 95% full. (People I talked to said it was the fullest it had been in some time.) Riverhead was the same. I was not at Chemung, but I think it was very cold when that race was run. I dont think the attendance went down at either of the two mentioed places -- if it did, it was not by much. Those places are also smaller (capacity-wise) than Thompson and Stafford.

I do agree with everything else you said.

rlizon17
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
It seems at this point like if Touring Modifieds are going to survive period they need to get away from NASCAR and become their own entity. NASCAR has their hand in the modifieds just enough to disrupt them. NASCAR: "Someone else is going to run a high paying event other than us, let's drop an event on the same weekend so far from that event that none of our drivers can attend. Then drop to 14 races so there are less races." Mike S. mentioned he brought home 180k a few years ago.
If NASCAR wanted this to succeed they would run the Mods twice at: New Hampshire, Concord, Richmond, Martinsville, Bristol during the Cup weekends there. Throw in New Smyrna during Speedweeks, IRP during Indy to supplement the Sizzler Fall Final, Icebreaker, World Series along with mod staple tracks like Waterford, Riverhead, Seekonk, Oswego, DTRP ect. A schedule like this and maybe I believe they care.
Otherwise Give everything Modified to people who care so it can grow or at least sustain. I think until there is one single National Modified Tour/Series with the same rules and ability to promote the cars, it seems things are just going to truck along until it runs out of gas.

Jaws
04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I got a very nice e-mail from Mark Arute and to all that think boycotting the race be prepared for a special SK or Late Model; race next year.

Its a catch 22 if we go to the races with less of a purse there may be more next year if we don't go to protest the races will be dropped altogether!

I for one will probably be there because I enjoy the races too much and do not want to see them disappear.

M T Pockets
04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Just to make it clear, what I stated is right off the entry blank.

A side note : The 1994 entry for this race was "The 4th Annual Connecticut Classic "150"

Total posted 1st place $5,095

Bobby1717
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
$30 admission / 100 laps + caution lap counts = 75 green flag laps, so you pay a little more than 2.00 dollars for each green lap. Something is wrong with this picture.

I would love to see all of the WMT teams make a pack and start the race and on the first lap they all pull into the pits to protest. I would not mind if that happened if I was there just because now I would know that the teams are tired of the Nascar games and they are starting to do something about it.

I would have a hard time believing that if the mods went on there own and left the tour that they would be allowed to step on a Nascar track so what tracks in the Northeast are not Nascar sanctioned?

rlizon17
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Would track owners ever be told by a sanctioning body that they could not run a series and would they all listen? Not sure if there are any cases that anyone knows of.

M T Pockets
04-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Now I'm not saying a boycott is the right thing or any other form of on track protest should be made BUT remember when the price is right in the not too distant future all racing will come to a screaching halt at the Stafford Motor Speedway. You read it on the horn!

LiquidBread
04-29-2009, 11:22 PM
rlizon17 - dead on. Echoing my thoughts for a long time and I wouldn't add a thing to your post.

Bobby1717 - there are at least a dozen tracks in the Northeast that either gave up up on the NASCAR sanction a long time ago, or would probably be willing to risk the pushback . First look at the TVRS and ROC schedules. Then add Thompson and Stafford for at least one annual stop. Then consider tracks like Holland that are currently sometime stops. Many of these venues are historic tracks that we haven't seen in a while. Do the math and suddenly the schedule is full April to October (November if you count Turkey Derby at Wall). I for one think that Erie and Toledo are made for ground pounders. The pitchforks and torches are getting closer to the gate ...

limodmaniac
05-03-2009, 09:43 AM
But if you went to those tracks, would the purse even start to compare with what Stafford is paying in May?

BigMac
05-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I couldn't help but notice that Stafford doesn't have any front page info about the May 22nd race on their webpage. They usually post a story and entry list about 5 minutes after the Sizzler. I thought that was interesting.

I really would like to hear Staffords reasoning behind the $30 admission price. The TVMS and Seekonk Open are 100 green flag lap affairs with an admission price between $17-$20. Stafford will be less than 100 green laps. If you going to cut the race distance and purse you could at least cut your fans a break. I mean, if your going to threaten taking the race away next year if fans don't show on May 22nd then you should be receptive to the notion that this package doesn't making much sense from a fans economic standpoint.

I would love to see Mr. Danko get a Stafford Speedway rep on his radio show on Monday. I'd probably be equally impressed if Stafford agreed to it.

Sicklajoie
05-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I would love to see Mr. Danko get a Stafford Speedway rep on his radio show on Monday. I'd probably be equally impressed if Stafford agreed to it.

LMAO
Good luck with that!!!

Sicklajoie
05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
While I sympathize with the Tour about this whole situation, another thing that needs to be brought up is how bad the regular weekly divisions get screwed when the Tour does show up.
While a good number of the Tour competitors only have to pay $25 to get in the back gate, the weekly division competitors that support the track week in and week out have to pay $45 ($15 more than normal) while racing for the same purse as they normally do. And some of the divisions lose their heat races for time restraints. So more money for less racing.
It should be noted though that Stafford does offer a season's pit pass which is a very good deal, something most other tracks don't have. But during times like these a lot of people don't have the $400 or so it costs to pay for that.

RGeeProductions
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
That's a good point also. I had always thought all regular division purses were increased for Sizzler, Icebreaker, Fall Final and World Series.

Sicklajoie
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
That's a good point also. I had always thought all regular division purses were increased for Sizzler, Icebreaker, Fall Final and World Series.
You would think so, but absolutely not.

M T Pockets
05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
While I sympathize with the Tour about this whole situation, another thing that needs to be brought up is how bad the regular weekly divisions get screwed when the Tour does show up.
While a good number of the Tour competitors only have to pay $25 to get in the back gate, the weekly division competitors that support the track week in and week out have to pay $45 ($15 more than normal) while racing for the same purse as they normally do. And some of the divisions lose their heat races for time restraints. So more money for less racing.
It should be noted though that Stafford does offer a season's pit pass which is a very good deal, something most other tracks don't have. But during times like these a lot of people don't have the $400 or so it costs to pay for that.

Keep the record straight. It's been $30 not $25 plus an $85 inspection fee payable to the race track holding the event.

MT

Sicklajoie
05-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Keep the record straight. It's been $30 not $25 plus an $85 inspection fee payable to the race track holding the event.

MTSorry. It was $25 last time I was involved.

bud
05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
and I'm sure they'll get the same crowd with a big sk event.........lol.
hollow words my friends......... and you know what????? if they are going to sell the track they are going to sell it. Its like powerball.......how many take payments verses one lump sum? Funny the guy that left him the track loved the sport as much as his wallet and I'm sure he'd be proud. Yeah right

MandyB
05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
They have something on the front page of their site today. 100 laps, as already mentioned.

MJProcko
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Funny, the upcoming Truck/WMT race at Bristol is only $30. How can Bristol afford to put on a combined race like that and only charge $30 bucks. The Mod race has a purse of say 95k. The last truck race at Kansas paid 95k for just first and second place alone with 10k just to make the show. A total purse of over 425,000!!!!! 425k/30 = 14,167 paying customers just to make the purse. You only need 3,167 payng customers at $30 to make the WMT purse. I won tickets to the truck race at Homestead twice and no way were there anywhere near 14k fans at either event.

In other words, Nascar can cover purses for the truck races and in the case of Bristol the Mods too, when they want to. At Bristol, be sure to wear your WMT t-shirts so we all know how big the crowd is for the WMT and for the Trucks. They are using the WMT crowd to pump up the attendance for the Trucks.

Maybe Chad can tell us the reasons NAscar can put on a WMT/Truck race with over a 500k purse for 30 bucks and Stafford or Thompson can't put on a WMT race for 40 bucks with a 95k purse?

worm
05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
you did your homework,very true

Jaws
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Funny, the upcoming Truck/WMT race at Bristol is only $30. How can Bristol afford to put on a combined race like that and only charge $30 bucks. The Mod race has a purse of say 95k. The last truck race at Kansas paid 95k for just first and second place alone with 10k just to make the show. A total purse of over 425,000!!!!! 425k/30 = 14,167 paying customers just to make the purse. You only need 3,167 payng customers at $30 to make the WMT purse. I won tickets to the truck race at Homestead twice and no way were there anywhere near 14k fans at either event.

In other words, Nascar can cover purses for the truck races and in the case of Bristol the Mods too, when they want to. At Bristol, be sure to wear your WMT t-shirts so we all know how big the crowd is for the WMT and for the Trucks. They are using the WMT crowd to pump up the attendance for the Trucks.

Maybe Chad can tell us the reasons NAscar can put on a WMT/Truck race with over a 500k purse for 30 bucks and Stafford or Thompson can't put on a WMT race for 40 bucks with a 95k purse?

2 reasons;the WMT truck race has much bigger sponsors, TV and 2 more really big races that weekend to put money into the kitty. Its apples and oranges.

Also as much as you think the mod tour is big in Tenn. the mod fans will not outnumber the truck fans.

My we Mod fans get a big head some times. If we really had that many fans there would be more than 14 races.

As much as I love the mods we do get carried away on how big we "should" be. Sorry I wish for 25 races a year too but unless one of us hits powerball probably not going to happen.

burtmyers1
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Ive only read one decent thing in this entire thread and that would be:

My we Mod fans get a big head some times.

MJ are you serious about comparing a track like Bristol to a weekly track in Connecticut? Think about a little more about that post...........

Just like MSS the whining and the complaining never ends. Yall wonder why Stafford dropped the lap count and the purse but kept the ticket price ever wonder if the economy might have something do with it? Why does it HAVE to be that the Tour is going down hill? Dont say "well look at the past few years blah blah blah" All of yall want a 25 race schedule, Fill me in on how the lower half of the teams that run a 14 race schedule would even consider running a full 25 races scattered from Connecticut to North Carolina to Indiana or Ohio. Really? There was a post earlier that said Tires cost more Gas costs more and so on well guess what more races equal more costs and added travel.

A post earlier said "well looks like Im Mowing the yard on that saturday" and "If it aint 150 laps Im not going" You are part of the problem............

Stop whining just go to the freaking race track whether it be 20 laps or 200 laps Its Modifieds Its what we love They need our support now more than ever Just go to the freaking race track!!!!!

Jaws
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Wow someone agreed with me lol.

MJProcko
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I left it as an open ended question to see if anyone would come up with the answer, Jaws is close.

The truck series has alot more sponsor money, they have a TV package, they have real race sponsors for each race and they have the full support of Nascar behind them. The cost of putting on a truck race is covered by these entities.

If your company wanted to come in and put the money into the WMT that say Craftsman put into the truck series Nascar wouldn't allow it. They would make you sponsor the truck series. Don't scream, I'm not saying replace Whelen, Whelen has their heart in the right place but they get the short end of the stick every time Nascar gives the WMT the shaft. Nascar got Whelen to replace Dodge for the national series, money that could have went to improving the WMT.

In these trying economic times any sponsor who wanted to improve modified racing through Nascar won't be allowed to do so. Nascar needs to keep the big 3 afloat and have no need to waste resources on the WMT since the tour basically pays for itself. i.e. the fans and the race teams foot the bill. You've established that you'll pay the same price for less product and teams will show up for less and less because you love the sport. Nascar will keep pushing that envelope until it no longer profitable to them. When it comes time to pay the cost of the WMT race Nascar gets his cut first and formost, weather it be a flash or sizzler, you pay Don Nascar first. The purse goes down, the tracks and teams lose money, the fans pay more for less but Nascar gets theirs.

Does Bristol, NH, or Martinsville pay the same upfront costs as Stafford and Thompson or do they get that waived as it is covered in the cost of the whole weekend?

As for 25 races... be real. The WMT would be great even at 14 if the races were quality events and not just filler or flashes. Opps I used "flash" again, Nascar says that the term "flash" race doesn't exist anymore, kind of like 0bama replacing the "war on terror" with "Overseas Contingency Operation". Having strong WMT races would even help the smaller series as well.

I never said anything about the modifieds being popular in TN. there are only two things popular in TN, Cup and UT football. Go into almost any neighborhood and you'll see white houses with orange trim, orange checkerboard garage doors and a Dale Jr. flag all over the place. The majority of the fans at the Bristol race on Wednseday Night will be fans of neither the trucks or the WMT but people who were given tickets or got them as part of a package. But if want to count how many traveled to see specifically the trucks or the WMT I'll take that bet.

Do I think the WMT would be better without Nascar, maybe, but it would definately be the best with Nascar's help. Nascar just needs to get on board.

Axel
05-05-2009, 03:03 PM
A post earlier said "If it aint 150 laps Im not going" You are part of the problem............

You are insinuating that I will sit at home and do nothing. (I will prob go to New Egypt the nite after.) I said I was not going to Stafford. I wont be sold a plate of poop (OK, maybe 2/3 of a plate of poop) for the same price. Maybe I am lucky or spoiled that I live within 4 hours of a many race tracks, but I will not be at Stafford that day. And I dont think I am taking the tour or Stafford for granted by making this decision.

We dont have to just sit there and take it. That's all. Historically, I've almost always been on the side of the promiters and track owners, but this time I think Stafford is wrong--wrong for the fan and for the drivers and owners too. JMO

holleratme
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM

MJ are you serious about comparing a track like Bristol to a weekly track in Connecticut? Think about a little more about that post...........

Just like MSS the whining and the complaining never ends. Yall wonder why Stafford dropped the lap count and the purse but kept the ticket price ever wonder if the economy might have something do with it? Why does it HAVE to be that the Tour is going down hill? Dont say "well look at the past few years blah blah blah" All of yall want a 25 race schedule, Fill me in on how the lower half of the teams that run a 14 race schedule would even consider running a full 25 races scattered from Connecticut to North Carolina to Indiana or Ohio. Really? There was a post earlier that said Tires cost more Gas costs more and so on well guess what more races equal more costs and added travel.

A post earlier said "well looks like Im Mowing the yard on that saturday" and "If it aint 150 laps Im not going" You are part of the problem............

Stop whining just go to the freaking race track whether it be 20 laps or 200 laps Its Modifieds Its what we love They need our support now more than ever Just go to the freaking race track!!!!!

Right go for a worse product ....... Good
If it was not for TC and Kuiken any race out of Davidson/Randolph County Looks Like a TVMS Heat Race. Start in your backyard getting people to go to the track

limodmaniac
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
It sucks for the drivers that there is a smaller payout, but I'm not missing a Whelen Modified race, unless they all decide to stay home.

wmass01013
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM

That is easy to say if you NEVER GO TO STAFFORD OR THOMPSON, these tracks have had GREAT crowds almost every tour race, yes sometimes the weather will hold size down but normally even racing on a thursday or Friday night packs the place. And if Stafford has been hurt by weather for the last few years for the MAY race, then change the damm date to ANOTHER WEEKEND, the WMT has 5 races in 4 MONTHS from APRIL thr JULY!
And lowering the purse and distance but KEEPING the same TICKET PRICES IS PURE GREED, so anybody that says they are mowing the lawn or going to another track, so be it. I dont think the ARUTE'S OR HOENIG'S are in danger of bankruptcy anytime sooon.

BigMac
05-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Do cautions count in this race? I have heard they do and I have heard they don't.

Sicklajoie
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Do cautions count in this race? I have heard they do and I have heard they don't.
If they don't then it'll be almost like nothing ever changed except the 30% purse reduction.
Sweet

MJProcko
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Bad news, I was just looking at the youtube videos of the Stafford Spring Sizzler. Stafford is going to go bankrupt without major changes, yes that's right, kaput, history, joining shuttered shrines such as Riverside Park, Plainvile Stadium and Danbury.

Why? Well just look at the video, they don't have enough grandstands to hold any more race fans...... :D

limodmaniac
05-06-2009, 04:14 PM
just got a 5 dollar off coupon out of Area Auto Racing News for the race at Stafford!!!

Also, noticed some dirt races paying 15, 000 to win a 30 lap feature, and another one paying 10,000 to win. How come we can't get that in the modifieds??

Goldy
05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Liquid – I’m with ya..

MJProcko – love that avatar..

A 5$ off coupon – now there’s a positive.. be nice if the teams could catch a break as well, I think they are the ones that need it the most..

So I‘ve thought about it – and as much as I want to take in this race – I think I’ll stay put – vote no on this one because while I support the tour, it’s drivers and owners – I can’t support greedy moves by yet another of the tracks that were made by the very division they are now screwing. Yes, its NASCAR’s mandates that allow this – can’t blame Stafford for following suit and making a good business decision – ehhh, okay – but where on earth is the loyalty? Stafford knows what they are doing hurts this tour and honestly I expect more from them – just like I do Thompson. These 2 tracks are the cornerstone for northeast modified racing and it’s a shame what is happening. I know, I should be thicker than that – it’s all a business right?

But hey - when someone does something I don’t like – I don’t support it, period. By attending, I tell Stafford I’m okay with what they are doing – and I am not. Let Arute live off his Friday night SK program – see if that helps his bottom line.

I’m at the point – as blasphemous as it sounds – that if the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour blew up tomorrow – I wouldn’t shed a tear, sure it would suck - but owners and drivers would eventually filter their way into SK’s or the other touring options (ROC/TVMRS) – and I’d still be able to take in a Modified show somewhere – with quality fields of cars and drivers. I’m tired of the problems the sanctioning body has created, tired of tour teams getting pooped on and feed crap – bottom line is – my Modified racing doesn’t have to be called NASCAR for me to be interested. These owners can’t continue to show up and loose money at every single race.

Mark pulls the plug on this show next year? So be it. He’s already tugging on the chord pretty hard and this fan says no thank you to these changes.

bud
05-06-2009, 04:27 PM
wow I wonder why that is.........must be the property taxes are lower on a dirt track..........lol

MJProcko
05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
MJProcko – love that avatar..

Thanks Goldy, I'm thinking t-shirts!

Sicklajoie
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
just got a 5 dollar off coupon out of Area Auto Racing News for the race at Stafford!!!

Also, noticed some dirt races paying 15, 000 to win a 30 lap feature, and another one paying 10,000 to win. How come we can't get that in the modifieds??
I don't know if it's the case now, but a lot of dirt races used to have Dolly Parton purses...

uticamike
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
SMS has been for a long time my favorite speedway to see Mods. I don't know the Arute's and the last thing I am is a shill for them but.......... from the grass is always greener department consider THIS Modified fan living in Central NY. In my
"backyard" I have (2) WMT races to choose from in 09'. Spencer is a 155? lapper
(2 x 25 lap heats) 105 caution counts feature + 35 lap weekly (sst type) mods
street stocks (20 lap) = your dare stocks+ 20 lap Super Six (8 car yawn fest)+
the new 4cyl division...zzzzzzzzz for 28.00 US

and....
Chemung WMT 170 (2 x 25) lap heats? + 120 lap cautions count feature + T.Qs.
Laps? not posted + 30 lap Lengends + WMT autograph session for 28.00US

Last years Spencer race was joke and a half (worst WMT I've ever seen) (yellow fever). I didn't make the Chemung show (more yellow fever reported)

Now life is about choices and I will likely attend the Spencer show again on the belief that it can't be worse that 08'+ RaceNY tailgate party was fun.

Chemung= NFW

All that aside if I could only attend 1 of the 3, SMS would win hands down.
(i don't care about the drive)
Wish I lived closer to the TVMS.

LiquidBread
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM

First, I take issue with the "MSS whining" quote.

Here's the problem with your elbows-on-the-table "please Sir, can I have more?" soap box. We're very close to a tipping point with the Tour, and it's been a long time coming.

A core group of dedicated owners and fans have been supporting this for a lot of years in spite of the heavy handed bureaucracy, 1980's purses, reduced schedules, lack of tracks, goofy formats, tire contracts but no TV contracts, pit road shoe rules, and the like. How long can teams keep taking it in the shorts, and how long can fans be asked to support it?

I for one don't have a lot of discretionary cash, and stare at a 9 hour commute to Stafford. Teams like the Hills pull out of NC to make races, and even the NE teams haven't come close to covering expenses for years. Thank goodness these folks have been willing to keep doing it, but at some point you have to say 'Uncle'. Note the team consolidations and the first class drivers without NWMT rides for 2009.

The business model is toast and NASCAR continues to bleed it dry. I think we're about out of blood. If I make this race, I'm signaling the suits in Daytona that I'm okay with this, and I'm not. Better that we dump NASCAR and throw our lot in with an improved ROC or TVMRS sanction. Go ahead and drink the Kool Aid my friend, but when the Southern Tour starts racing for $500 to win and draws (12) SK types .....

PS. Hey Sick, LMAO over the Dolly Parton comment!

Jaws
05-06-2009, 11:03 PM
SMS has been for a long time my favorite speedway to see Mods. I don't know the Arute's and the last thing I am is a shill for them but.......... from the grass is always greener department consider THIS Modified fan living in Central NY. In my
"backyard" I have (2) WMT races to choose from in 09'. Spencer is a 155? lapper
(2 x 25 lap heats) 105 caution counts feature + 35 lap weekly (sst type) mods
street stocks (20 lap) = your dare stocks+ 20 lap Super Six (8 car yawn fest)+
the new 4cyl division...zzzzzzzzz for 28.00 US

and....
Chemung WMT 170 (2 x 25) lap heats? + 120 lap cautions count feature + T.Qs.
Laps? not posted + 30 lap Lengends + WMT autograph session for 28.00US

Last years Spencer race was joke and a half (worst WMT I've ever seen) (yellow fever). I didn't make the Chemung show (more yellow fever reported)

Now life is about choices and I will likely attend the Spencer show again on the belief that it can't be worse that 08'+ RaceNY tailgate party was fun.

Chemung= NFW

All that aside if I could only attend 1 of the 3, SMS would win hands down.
(i don't care about the drive)
Wish I lived closer to the TVMS.

I feel your pain, I only have 1 race close to home at Riverhead, usually not too bad a race but they give almost all the other divisions the night off and they charge $30.00+ $ not sure.

I too would drive to races at Stafford over the local race. The show of SK's Late Models SK lights and whatever they throw at you all have 24+ cars per race. A true full nigh of racing.

Spencer should be better this year, last year they tried a treatment on the track that back fired.

And yes the tailgate party was great!