PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sky, Bright Sunshine and.....

DriveitinDeep
05-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I am home unloading my car. You can't win.

W. J.
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I guess weather radar was wrong once again.....

limodmaniac
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
When I looked at weather.com, it seemed to say that as the day progressed it would get better. I'm not sure what forecast Riverhead was looking at. Waterford and Mahoning both raced last night.

JBonsignore
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
the how many people would be in the stands forecast!

Ka$h25
05-03-2009, 02:04 PM
What's Justin's prize?

RickFigure8
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
The radar was right on the money. I told Benny right after the shower we were having at 12:30 passed it was over. The stuff after that was all going to pass well south of the Island. As was said, how many fans would have shown up.

Turbo
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
how many fans woulda showed up if it was sunny all day? in my opinion it wouldnt have been too much of a difference unless there was one of those bus demos or monster truck shows. Last years opening day there wasnt too many people in the stands. Just hate it that they dont do it for the drivers, especially the ones that come from nassau and queens. Talk about our economy being tough, imagine if i just pulled in the pits from up there then saying that they cancelled it... I would be P.O'ed spending all that money on gas only to be a beautiful day and night after they made the decision. :mad:

jeffrey
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM
only the die hards show up the first couple of weeks anyway.all 50 of us.yes I think they called it to soon.but if they waited and everyone paid to get in and then it rained out.we would all be saying didn't they watch the weather.should of called it sooner.its the first weakend lot of racing to go.so lets give them a brake.they lose just as much as we did if not more.:wave:

RGeeProductions
05-03-2009, 03:55 PM
only the die hards show up the first couple of weeks anyway.all 50 of us.yes I think they called it to soon.but if they waited and everyone paid to get in and then it rained out.we would all be saying didn't they watch the weather.should of called it sooner.its the first weakend lot of racing to go.so lets give them a brake.they lose just as much as we did if not more.:wave:

You mean like they did today??????

jeffrey
05-03-2009, 04:19 PM
You mean like they did today??????
I know nothing about like today.or any other Sundays there.only go on Saturdays.but no matter what they would of done there going to be someone unhappy about any call.hey I'm just as up set about it.it was my birthday.was going to watch my man jr clean house.and its called.it just killed my hole day.but hey its over lets think about this coming Saturday.PS good luck to all drivers in all divisions.

Golf Guy
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I have to agree with Jeffrey. RH is in a no win situation when it comes to bad weather. Hey, the weather forecasters are wrong half the time (or would that be right half the time?). Let's just hope for sunny weather next weekend and for the rest of the season!

RacinRob
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just think its a bunch of garbage that Riverhead Raceway claims they want to please the racers and the fans. Without the racers what would they do? What are the fans gooing to come watch?! Its so ridiculous what happened yesterday with calling the races at noon only to have the sun come out AND stay out allll day with no rain fall till after 11. THAN to put the cherry on top today they let damn near 100 cars come to the track from allllll over the island and they cancel at noon. How bout some decency to cancel at 9 or 10 am. I am not knocking Bob Finan or the Chief Stewards....im sure most of you know who makes the calls. Not ALL of us can afford to tow out to the track two days to be D*cked around and waste our HARD EARNED money. How bout some respect to the people who put the food on your table? Without racecar drivers there will be no fans and without fans there will be no race car drivers. Keep this mess up and we will see how long you will have the support of your locals. Take care of the people that take care of you. :mad::mad::mad:

W. J.
05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Back to the original thought, in the form of song..."Blue skies, smilin' at me, nothin' but blue skies do I see......

Wow, is the pot gettin' stirred!!!

Bobby Pease
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
All in all, its not the worst thing in the world. If this is our only problem of the weekend, then THANK GOD! Cya soon .. :cheers::cheers:

tstiles
05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
i just cant wait till next week.... i want to race

The Bullfather
05-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Early forecast....no joke! Rain! But that can change!

killa54
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
its no ones fault but gods for pissing on our weekend. i waited all winter, one more week wont hurt.

nobandwagonhere
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
I remember back in what...2004 or 2005 when the first 5 weeks were rained out.......it is what it is. Unless you have GOD in your speed-dial, theres really no way around it. :(

Turbo
05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
the point I am trying to make is that they should have at least waited it out. I watched the forecast from from friday up until the time we left for the track and it showed the same clearing for a good portion of the day with 30% chance of rain. So why couldnt we wait until 3 or so? This way at least we TRIED and ATTEMPTED to get it in!! I just hate it that they made the decision so early and never really gave it a real good effort to get the show in.

catfish
05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Turbo, the most important part to the promoters is " paid attendance" and with the weather the "paid attendance" would have been very low. Thus the show was canceled. Most everyone knew that was going to happen with the sun coming out but ultimately the decision is theirs.

hollywoodmic
05-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Could you imagine if everyone one paid to get in, they ran 5 heats races and it rained??? You'd all be crying that the following week you should get in for free, but there is no rain check after 5 events (green flags) so with weather there is no answer. You win some and you loose some.

I have sat through 3 hour rain delays to dry the track get the cars out there and it rain out 20 minutes later. You just never know until it gets there. Sometimes you make the right call and sometimes you don't. They made a mistake, they are human.

I talked to Finan at 11:30 and was watching the weather channel, they had rain head directly at LI around 6:00 - 6:30. I watched it again at 2:00 and it totally changed. It sucks I wanted to get week 1 under our belts too, but weather happens and unless we are racing in a dome there is no way around it.

Just chalk it up to a poor quick decision on their part and move on. Next time they may wait it out for hours to no avail and then we can bi*ch about them keeping us too long just to rain it out.

The Bullfather
05-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh, you mean like Sunday. lol

Golf Guy
05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Steve I couldn't agree more. Maybe they should just come up with a rule that no race will be called until 5pm. So regardless if it is pouring rain or a threat, EVERYONE will have to trailer out to the head or make their own call on the weather. There is no simple answer. Like I wrote in an earlier post, the weathermen can't even get this right, how can we expect perfection from RH then? JMO

Ellracin17x
05-05-2009, 07:15 AM
5pm!! you will be there all night you have to run the heats before the feature soo i dont know if 5 would be a good time maby 3

allhailunc
05-05-2009, 09:32 AM
was beautiful in Vegas:lol:

turn1cowboy
05-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Or maybe we need someone who cares about racing calling the shots!!!

hollywoodmic
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Johnny who are you speaking about the Chief Stewarts or the promoters??

Ka$h25
05-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Johnny who are you speaking about the Chief Stewarts or the promoters??

I say let the cowboys call it. Then no one's leaving till the beer stand closes.

Seriously though, it was a pretty poor decision. The weather was not too bad when they made the call, and anyone with the slightest ability to read radar knew we were gonna have quite of few hours of nice weather. I think it's hard to deny that they were worried about attendance, and drivers have to face that they run a business. I think it would be interesting to see what they would have done if that light rain started 3 heats in. Something tells me they would of tried like hell to reach that 5 race mark.

catfish
05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Your right K$sh but you also need to remember its there sandbox and ultimately they decide how long and when you can play in it.

FERGBIZZ
05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
anyone who goes and sits in the stands this early in the season is basically a regular anyway...and the regulars wouldn't have minded a few puddles here and there or even a wet *** from the bleachers...lets just hope we get tomorrows show in

nobandwagonhere
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
The "FERG"..........has spoken. 'nuff said.:p