PDA

View Full Version : Jeffreys, Miller Take Wins at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
05-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Bad luck last week turns into victories on Saturday.

What a difference a week makes at Bowman Gray Stadium.
After last week’s Tucson 200, Lee Jeffreys and Junior Miller left the track with damaged cars, back-of-the-pack finishes, and frustrated attitudes. But on Saturday, they left the track as winners.
Lee Jeffreys of High Point started off his night in the Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series by qualifying on the pole. “I knew the lap felt good, but you never know what anyone else is going to turn,” said Lee Jeffreys. Beside him on the outside-pole was Randy Butner of Pfafftown - making Butner the strongest qualifier at Bowman Gray Stadium with two second-place laps in each of the two qualifying attempts so far.
As the green fell, Jeffreys and Butner battled side-by-side for the entire first lap. Butner, however, was caught on the outside and dropped back. Tim Brown of Cana, Va. moved up to second place behind Jeffreys. Burt Myers of Walnut Cove claimed third.
Although Brown stayed close behind Jeffreys, the #77 car of Lee Jeffreys was able to maintain the lead. Jeffreys encountered a little trouble midway through the race when he caught up to lapped traffic. As he lapped a slower car, Burt Myers rammed Tim Brown in second, who in turn rammed Jeffreys. All three were able to keep control and hold on to their positions.
When the caution came out with one lap to go, Jeffreys once again had to sweat as he held off Brown and Myers for a one-lap shootout on the restart. “When you’ve got those guys behind you – they’ll run you clean but they’ll run you hard too,” said Jeffreys.
Jeffreys took the checkered flag with Brown and Myers coming in second and third behind him.
Junior Miller of Danbury spun in the first race and had some mechanical issues as he collided with another competitor as Miller tried to pass. The first race gave Miller a disappointing 12th place finish, but Lady Luck was kind to Miller.
The “Madhouse Scramble” sent Miller to the head of the pack for the start of the second race. But Michael Clifton of Walkertown was on the outside front row, so victory was far from assured for Miller.
“We ended up hanging on, and we got a good draw,” said Miller. “With Michael on the outside, I didn’t know what was going to happen.”
Miller made sure that Clifton didn’t get a jump on him during the start. Then, Miller held on for the win. “We had a bad first race over here. I dug a hole last week and dug another one tonight, but we got close there at the end and took the win,” said Miller.
Brad Robbins of Winston-Salem finished in second. Michael Clifton came in behind Robbins in third.

Race Results
Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series
1st Modified Race: 25 of 25 laps completed
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 77 Lee Jeffreys High Point, NC
2 83 Tim Brown Cana, VA
3 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
4 5 Randy Butner Pfafftown, NC
5 53 Jonathan Brown Kernersville, NC
6 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
7 72 Brent Elliott Denton, NC
8 70 Alfred Hill Jonesville, NC
9 13 Chris Fleming Mount Airy, NC
10 40 Brad Robbins Winston-Salem, NC
11 31 Gene Pack Walkertown, NC
12 69 Junior Miller Danbury, NC
13 50 Michael Clifton Walkertown, NC
14 12 Mike Norman Lewisville, NC
15 97 Bryan Dauzat Midland,NC

2nd Modified Race: 25 of 25 laps completed
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 69 Junior Miller Danbury, NC
2 40 Brad Robbins Winston-Salem, NC
3 50 Michael Clifton Walkertown, NC
4 70 Alfred Hill Jonesville, NC
5 13 Chris Fleming Mount Airy, NC
6 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
7 5 Randy Butner Pfafftown, NC
8 83 Tim Brown Cana, VA
9 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
10 77 Lee Jeffreys High Point, NC
11 53 Jonathan Brown Kernersville, NC
12 31 Gene Pack Walkertown, NC
13 72 Brent Elliott Denton, NC
14 12 Mike Norman Lewisville, NC
15 97 Bryan Dauzat Midland,NC

Loren Pinilis

worm
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
looks like the 2nd race is the 1st race up side down

worm
05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
wheres all the cars

corey17
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
wheres all the cars

They are at home. For years the only reason drivers ran the stadium was because it was sponsor driven. Sure they love racing in front of 15,000 people themselves, but any driver would rather go to a track where they can "race" at rather than ride around. Now, the drivers own the cars and most are sponsored by their own business or pay out of pocket except a small portion. No neeed to go there and tear your car up for a purse that can't even buy you a set of tires. The biggest crowds and the worst pay, It's starting to come back to haunt them as far as the mods are concerned. I've been saying this was coming for a few years now. Lot's always talked about not coming back, now they are actually following through on it.

JinxNC
05-05-2009, 12:45 PM
You said it Corey. And eventually the people will quit going. Well probably not. A couple of rounds of bumper cars and some monster trucks and they'll keep coming in droves.:rolleyes:

I wasn't there Saturday, nor do I plan on being there in the future, but I think it goes without saying. Two pole sitters, each won. No movement according to the inversion. Looked like a choo choo as usual.

corey17
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, there is good racing there, It's just not made for the mods anymore. Mt buddy Scott Hall started 15th in the second 20 lapper for the Sportsman cars and finished 3rd, they do race. Every division is generally good, except the mods, the mini-stocks are great. They could fix it, maybe sealer around the outside groove like I've suggested for years, but then you wouldn't have the "kock you out of the way" drama they are used to. Well guess what, they don't have that any more. The drivers are smart, in this day and time It's useless to tear up your car or anybody else's to please the masses. They had better do something, and do it quick.

I grew up there, from the ages 4 to 16 I only missed 2 races there. That was my only choice, my parents went every weekend. Now I travel the East coast to different tracks each week. I go back to the stadium and the atmosphere is electric, the smell is something soothing, it brings back memories. Then the races begin and I wonder where all those good times went, Radford and Satch side-by-side lap after lap. Now I watch Tim Brown lead every lap with not one pass made for 197 laps, then they decide to put on a demolition derby for 3 laps.