PDA

View Full Version : Radios

LATEMODEL17
05-12-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure why the other post was stopped, but i thought this was a dicussion forum?i will be making my sat. Night debut to the speedway in 2 weeks, and can't wait. But i do think racing without radios is not only a huge safety issue, but also a cost factor. I have had good fortune avoiding wrecks because of the use of radios, anyone who has driven a latemodel can tell you that your visibility is not great,and i think radios should be allowed,in fact sundance and mahoning are the only 2 tracks out of 15-20 i've raced at that won't allow the use of radios. I ran the nelma races up there and they even rented the radios there,and it was a great time.but i suppose there are very good reasons for not using radios in a car that has poor visibility.

Latemodel11A
05-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I've presented this in the past. The solution is to have scanners in the car with the track frequency set up as the main/override channel, and also have your spotters frequency. This way you have your spotter for when your racing and the track over rides so you also hear everything they say as well. I have done this for the past 2 years and it works perfectly.

LATEMODEL17
05-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

john burns
05-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Intense1 I am not trying to steer any pot, and I agree I thought this was a discussion forum.
We still have the same issues with not using any radio, safety and cost of repairs.. Even this week there were occasions were using a radio would have made the show go faster and cost teams less money from destroyed equipment. I agree lets put the scanner in the radio with the track as the main channel and have the track check it or monitor the teams frqs.

intense1
05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Even this week there were occasions were using a radio would have made the show go faster

First off, I didn't lock the thread...I just said, there will be...no radios allowed.

I disagree with you from the above quote, since on many occasions we had spotters trying to tell their driver that the scorer was incorrect. So rather than being told where they belong via the one way scanner, we had to waste countless laps trying to get a select few cars in line...because the "spotters" thought they were correct.

This past Saturday night, we had a great battle up front amongst three veteran drivers...without radios.
When you put the on track responsibilities back in the hands of the drivers...it makes for a better show.

Again, No radios allowed.

LongIslandJam
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
It's a basic battle of philosophy. Many tracks across the country do not allow radios or mirrors as they feel it puts it back in the drivers' hands. However, you can always pose a counter-argument to that. I've seen both situations work well at the tracks I've been to.

LATEMODEL17
05-12-2009, 09:00 PM
i can see your point to a certain degree, and you are right, it isn't and never was the responsility of the spotter to align the cars, it's the tracks discretion.spotters in my opinion are to keep drivers out of harm,not to try and run the track, the track does just fine on its own.like i said, not trying to argue with anyone, just conversation."let's go racin boys"

j42racer
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
After 30 years of driving I think radios are a good idea for long distance races, but for regular night shows I think we should not use radios. The driver learns to hear or sence when a car is behind or beside them without the use of a radio. I raced track that used radios and the racing is totaly different. The driver is told by the spotter where the others cars are going to pass which lets the drivers block and keep the car behind them. That is the difference between racing and radio racing. I might be an old time racer but radios take racing out of the driver hand. I will agree with which ever way the track decides to go. Just my thought on the subject.... Barry

joe LM 07
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
This is the first time I've posted in here. Not the first time I've read but the first time I've felt the need to reply. As for the radios I'm on board with Barry except for the lond distance thing. I think you're either gonna use them or not. The logic goes both ways. drivers(although I am not not one I know many) do learn to sense or hear a car overtaking them. And for those who say radios save equiptment that hogwash!!!! I bet radios have cost more equiptment than they have saved especially for the driver who relies on them. anyone who has spotted espcially on a 1/3rd mile can tell you that by the time they tell the driver where to go to avoid an accident he has already made his move and is either in it or he is not! the only thing they are good for on a 1/3rd mile is radio racing and making the crew chief feel cool!! If a driver knows the other guy does not have a guy in his ear he is gonna be more careful when entering a corner with just his nose inside a guy or pulling down to the bottom. Stick to your guns Mike you know as well as any that you can't please them all anyway!!!!!!
:cheers:
Cheers Joe 07 late model
P.S. we own a nice set of radios

LATEMODEL17
05-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, if you own a set of radios and feel that they are useless, sell them to me.i would like to have a set for the nelma races at least.

joe LM 07
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
That may be able to be arranged Let me talk to Tommy see if he wants to sell them and for how much. Whats your email?? and real name would be nice to know who I'm talkin to also.;) Not Sure If will want to part with them as we use for the bigger tracks where they do serve crash avoidance purpose. But it doesn't hurt to ask