PDA

View Full Version : Shangri-La II Update

Modifiedthunder
05-16-2009, 10:59 AM
From there Web Page:applause:
Re: Schedule

Postby Shangri-La 2 on
You got it! Here goes....

Since the weather has been on our side...we have been working on the drainage system. Drains have been installed all the way around the track on the inside hub as well as in the center of the track. We closed in the hole in turns 3 and 4. We had to haul in hundreds of loads of dirt to fill in and build up turns 3 & 4. After we built that up, we finished the wall all the way around. There is a gap on the back stretch and the front stretch where you will be able to access the infield. Gates are being custom built for those now. The grandstands are being worked on everyday. They are a long and tedious job.

George took a trip to Kentucky this past weekend to pick up the machine that will put down the 60' wide surface. The machine takes about 2 days to put together. It will lay a 60' wide path of concrete at once. Hopefully the concrete for the surface will start Thursday or Friday of this week. Once it's started it will take about 10 days to finish and 5 days to cure. We will schedule tire testing with Hoosier as soon as possible afterwards.

The infield buildings are being built now and the fencing still needs to go up. The scoreboard will be arriving the week of the 24th. Which means, yes we will be opening late, but we are doing as much as we can to open as soon as possible. We have volunteers showing up every weekend and crews working almost 24/7.

There are some other things that need to get done, like putting in the lights and such but we will open as soon as we can and it will continue to be a work in progress as we go.

Words of encouragement are appreciated, especially since there are a lot of tracks closing and no other new tracks being built in today's economy. We want to start racing as much as anybody.

An official announcement about the delay in our schedule will be going out later this week.

Thank you,
Amy Stilson
Track Director
Shangri-La II Motor Speedway
Phone: 607-330-2622
Fax: 607-330-3508
Email: info@shangrila-2.com

Jaws
05-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Looks like they are really burning the midnight oil. I am very excited for the new track but having it so close to Chemung and 5 Mile point is going to hurt one of those tracks.

I hope they all work something out so all 3 not only survive but excel.

Modifiedthunder
05-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Some new photo's looks like this will be great:applause:

http://www.shangrila-2.com/pages/photos.shtml

Axel
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
wow-- looks perfect for the mods. Wide and a little bit of banking.

Teds Race Tours
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I can't wait to be sitting in the seats. Its a great day when a new track opens as opposed to losing one.:cheers:

ModTourMan
05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm looking forward to visiting this track as well. I remember Shangri-La fondly. It's not too bad of a ride from central NJ if I remember correctly.

RGeeProductions
05-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I can't wait to be sitting in the seats. Its a great day when a new track opens as opposed to losing one.:cheers:

I agree with you there Ted. That is unless it causes yet another track or two within the area to close it's doors due to lack of cars...

uticamike
05-21-2009, 10:42 PM
With Shang II , Chemung, Mountain and MVS all running Saturdays I'd be suprised if all can survive in the long run. I'd say Chemung will take the hit.
Richie I'd love to be there when you told George not to open his track because it might close another one. ohhh boy!!:lol:

RGeeProductions
05-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I was answering Ted..
Don't twist my words, never said not to open the track...
I deal with truth and facts, and that statement is true, is it not?
In fact, you even agreed with it, read your answer.
Sorry, I would always support any new track, but to be a trade off to lose another, sorry, just don't make sense to me.
I change that, I mean it is a tough decision to make...

uticamike
05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Not twisting anything. Ted said he'd be there and its a great day when a new track opens. You agreed then said unless.

Unless used as a conjunction means> except under the circumstances.....

Now before this gets crazy between us, I'm sure we both want S2 to succeed
and neither wants another one to close but I don't think all 4 will survive long term that's all my point is. I hope I'm wrong.

RGeeProductions
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Gets crazy??? What you just wrote is pretty much what my very first post meant. Maybe written crappy, but what I meant.

uticamike
05-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Ah.. we agree then. Good night Rich, this was fun.