PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Race: 100 laps or 100 green flag laps?

Axel
05-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I did not see anything on Stafford's website about the format. It just says 100 laps. Anyone have the scoop?

BigMac
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I had the same question. I assume cautions count. It looks like they are going to have another nice day. It'll be interesting to see how many fans go.

bud
05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
We'll be at Thunder Road!

Jaws
05-18-2009, 09:58 PM
I will be at Stafford to support the tour!!

limodmaniac
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Unless someone tells me all the modified drivers are staying home, then it's a no brainer... Stafford this Friday. And if the weather is good, then it's off to Oswego. Then back to Thunder Road Sunday. It will only be the 2nd time doing all 3 tours on the same weekend for me. And I can't wait til the weekend is here!

RGeeProductions
05-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Good luck Jim, wish you good weather.....

Jaws
05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Good luck Jim, wish you good weather.....

RGee you at Stafford?

And yes to Jim good luck, the weather is supposed to be good especially further north.

Stafford is supposed to be partly cloudy 81, Oswego sunny and 69, Thunder Road Partly cloudy and 71. Looks great little chance of you know what.

RGeeProductions
05-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Negative Jaws.
Gonna be a busy weekend and going to a Friday night race is tough for me to do....probably hit the Head for awhile Saturday and then back home....nice living about 7 minutes from the track...

MJProcko
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
So do we know if cautions will count or not yet? Will Nascar just tell them when they get there? My guess would be they will count, if not, then why put themselves through the PR nightmare and just keep it 150 laps anyways. As we all know, 100 "green flag laps" gets close to 150 usally. Also TC seemed pretty dissapointed on SLR Monday Night when briefly discussing the reduced purse and reduced laps for Friday Night.
On a humorous note from the show, rumor is that a Nascar bigwig will be in town Friday night to put the tour drivers back in line. Well atleast its communication, kind of like being happy your boss yelled at you so you don't feel like your forgotten. Best of luck to all the teams.

JED
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Richie...

Love your avatar!!!

Might I add also....support your local track!!

RGeeProductions
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
A little birdie whispered in my ear it's 100 laps regardless of yellows or greens....
JED, although I heavily agree with the support your local tracks also, I just felt with the negativity roaming around everywhere, I would go with tour support right now.....

PitGirl35
05-20-2009, 10:39 AM
On a humorous note from the show, rumor is that a Nascar bigwig will be in town Friday night to put the tour drivers back in line.

Why do the Tour drivers need to be put "back in line". Can Nascar not take them voicing their opinion to the public? Just my opinion.

SteveS
05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Like the T-shirt says......."The beatings shall continue until morale improves"

CTC Photos
05-21-2009, 12:12 AM
A little birdie whispered in my ear it's 100 laps regardless of yellows or greens....
JED, although I heavily agree with the support your local tracks also, I just felt with the negativity roaming around everywhere, I would go with tour support right now.....

Ooooooo, another "bargain" for the fans. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they have 38 GREEN flag laps (if in fact they count cation laps) out of the 100.

I understand supporting the "Mods" but c'mon. Nascar WILL NEVER get the message if all the teams and fans continue to support these events.

This of course is JMO and I know it's not popular.

BigMac
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Exactly. If you go on Friday you are supporting reduced purses and reduced race distances. If you really wanted to support the tour you wouldn't go. What happens if 10k fans show up this Friday? All of the purses will be reduced at Stafford from here on out.
It sucks, because it hard to skip a race when they are so far and few between races. I know this is a tough decision for a lot of people.

MJProcko
05-21-2009, 10:50 AM
In business, when something works you try to copy the successful model. In modified racing, the success model would be the Ice Breaker and Spring Sizzler for this season and when you look back to last season add the NH and Martinsville races to them and you see what was successful - Bigger races with longer distances and larger purses. What failed? The Flash races. Seems to me that Stafford needs more "Big Events" like the Spring Sizzler instead of the Flash Events. Otherwise why schedule a flash race on a holiday weekend against a similar race at Thunder Road who get the added bonus of the headlining ACT cars?

Do we know yet if its 100 green flags laps with imaginary cautions or is it 100 laps counting cautions? Rgee alluded to a birdie but I wasn't sure of what he meant.

catfish
05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Bigmac, I understand you idea but what if 100 fans show up, then next year Stafford may decide to hold only 2 races or less. As a friend of mine like to say " BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR YOU JUST MAY GET IT"

Jaws
05-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Exactly. If you go on Friday you are supporting reduced purses and reduced race distances. If you really wanted to support the tour you wouldn't go. What happens if 10k fans show up this Friday? All of the purses will be reduced at Stafford from here on out.
It sucks, because it hard to skip a race when they are so far and few between races. I know this is a tough decision for a lot of people.

As I said before go, don't go I don't care but don't join the parade of "why did the shut down the tour" posters when its gone.

Positives: 1. less wear and tear on the cars.
2. should be more "racing" as they have less laps to get to the front.
3. Race will probably be won on the track not the pits.
4' Less follow me til 25 to go.
5. Hey wasn't the Sizzler originally 80 laps.
6. ITS A MOD RACE!!
7. Its a mod race so I get to see all my friends.
8. Races will be over a little earlier so I will get to go to the pits with my kids.
9 If TC has to go to the back for what ever reason....oh boy that will be a show.
10. At least Stafford has a $5.00 off coupon for this race.

Negatives: NONE its a mod race. (Sorry none today)

Howie
05-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Exactly. If you go on Friday you are supporting reduced purses and reduced race distances. If you really wanted to support the tour you wouldn't go.

:confused::confused: This one stumps me. If the tour's teams are there to race, they are supporting the tour. You should be there to support them if you can, no matter what you think about anything else.

Don't support the races and they will be gone. You can put your money on that. Let the teams, NASCAR and the tracks hammer out the issues. State your opinion, but support the teams. As someone said "If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem".

stoningtonmodmania
05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
if you dont go it wll be YOUR loss. 2nd were thre to support the modifieds not nascar in my world i wish the modifieds would break away from nascar then they could race not worry about nascar rules and maybe have more races

Kevin
05-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Jaws' #5 :applause:
The Sizzler was designed to be an extra distance sprint race. Some of the classic modified races of the past were the 80 lap format.
Click the link and start at the bottom of the page.
http://www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/News/SizzlerRecaps.htm
I would rather see an all out short race than something than a ride around to end race that I would compare to watching a basketball game.
The weather is going to be great, it's Memorial Day weekend, Indy 500. World 600 at Charlotte. (it's not the "Whatever Sposnor 600" at Lowes Speedway to me) and the weekend always started at Stafford.
Besides how can you complain about the ticket prices? Nobody has spent any money to see a tour race for the last 4 weeks so look how much money everyone has saved up to go to this one! :D

chrome horn
05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
I've stood by and followed this thread. The more I think about it, the teams need our support. I understand the views about the tracks, the money, Nascar etc. The bottom line is though, if we don't support the races, there won't be the need for the tracks to bring the tour back. I'd like to think (I'm trying something new) that if WE show the support, the tracks will know that they can afford to have the the usual purse, lengths what have you. Let's wait and see how Friday turns out. Weather looks good. Lets show EVERYBODY that the modifieds are the best division and deserve to be compensated for the great racing they put on. I'd hate to see a poor turnout and prove what has been published, stated and quoted.
See you all at Jack's Track

ModTourMan
05-21-2009, 08:17 PM
To all going to the show Friday night, I wish you a great evening of Modified Tour action. I'd be lying if the reduced laps didn't play a part in my decision to stay here in NJ. It's always been a bit of a challenge for me to travel up for the Friday shows after work anyway so I decided to save this chunk of my limited racing budget for another show with more 'bang for the buck'. There's no protest here...no hidden agenda...no anger...I'm just gonna sit this one out. I'm sure the place will be packed. There's nothing like Modifieds at Stafford under the lights! I'd also be lying if I said I won't feel a few pangs of regret several times tomorrow evening. I'll also miss the ride up with my travelling buddy...always a lot of laughs my friend!
Enjoy the show everyone!

Axel
05-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I have a vicous hip pointer keeping me out of the lineup for tomorrow. That and a few unspoken and hidden agendas.

Hope you all have a great and safe race tomrrow.

Sicklajoie
05-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I've stood by and followed this thread. The more I think about it, the teams need our support. I understand the views about the tracks, the money, Nascar etc. The bottom line is though, if we don't support the races, there won't be the need for the tracks to bring the tour back. I'd like to think (I'm trying something new) that if WE show the support, the tracks will know that they can afford to have the the usual purse, lengths what have you. Let's wait and see how Friday turns out. Weather looks good. Lets show EVERYBODY that the modifieds are the best division and deserve to be compensated for the great racing they put on. I'd hate to see a poor turnout and prove what has been published, stated and quoted.
See you all at Jack's Track
I'll be there, as always. I'm there every week anyways. Season's pit pass.
The only thing I don't see happening is when the tracks make a killing, it never translates to a bigger purse for the racers. Didn't Danbury used to do the purse by a certain % that came through the front gate?

uticamike
05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
I was thinkin'. If your favorite resturant cuts the portion size but still charges the same are you "obligated" to go? What if the True Value Diner up the street
offered a better deal (in you eyes)? Hmmmm......

RGeeProductions
05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
But what if the cut portion food was better quality....just using your own terminology....ONLY ONE RANDOM EXAMPLE
Some of us have been following the WMT longer than the other tours because it has been around the longest....I really feel no mod tour is better than any other...IT'S ALL MODIFIED RACING.....AND WE SHOULD SUPPORT EACH OF THEM...

uticamike
05-21-2009, 11:50 PM
OH, I agree with your bold typing but........is that smaller portion better quailty? I mean I've eaten at the True Value Diner 3 times now and have left
very satified each time. I'm still burping up that nasty Whelen Burger I had last year at the Spencer Slop House. Now if you point out one meal does not make a resturant, I would agree. The Arutes cook up a nice dish for sure but seems
lately some of their customers are less than satisfied. Still...remains my favorite
place to grab some Modified Souffle'.

RGeeProductions
05-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Just Spencer??? That's like eating only the appetizer of WMT!!! LOL
Gotta look at the whole meal....
I love the Roc mods, the Southern mods, the True Value mods....and by no means will I ever give up my love for the WMT....

MJProcko
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Looking at the Nascar PR release the race is scheduled for 100 laps/50 miles. Sounds like the they will be counting cautions.

On the food analogy. If I am charged for $30 for a surf and turf consisting of a 3 lb Maine Lobster and a 12 oz Kobe Beef Steak, I'm going to be quite satisfied and can't wait to come back. But the next time I come back and I order the same meal, I am charged the same price, yet this time I get a 1 1/2 lb Maine Lobster and a 8 oz Kobe beef steak I'm not going to be happy, the quality may be the same but I'm going to be leaving hungry and the restaraunt is not going to be as filled.

Now I consider the modifieds to be steak and lobster but let me put it interms some of you might understand better. you are in the parking lot at the track and you are given a huge portion of pork roll, the next race you get half a portion of pork roll, still the same great taste yet you'll be wanting more pork roll. get it.

night gent
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
The way the economy is going, a 100 lapper is better than nothing. just received my dover tickets for next sunday. I wish the wmt would attempt 100 laps at the monster mile! See you guys at stafford this evening!

mod4r6fan
05-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Unemployment keeping me away from one of my favorite tracks to watch mods I hope a big crowd shows up Wish i was one

kja819
05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Stop with the food.... now I'm hungry....LOL

I'd be there if I still lived up North. I'll be at Britsol, Matrisville, and hopefully the NSS. I agree we (me included) need to support the Mod teams and to a point the tour because that is where they race. I hope Stafford is packed and Mark enjoys his extra nice payday at the tours expense.

Go Doug Go!!!!

Hoping everyone hs a great weekend. Enjoy the racing where ever you go.

Teds Race Tours
05-23-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm fat. I'll eat anything on the chrome horn menu, and be left wanting seconds, no matter how big the lobster, steak, or pork roll was.:cheers: