PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Modifieds

coachjim
05-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Was i reading that right there were 14 modifieds at riverhead.

W. J.
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM
That is exactly correct.

catfish
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Why is that no surprise

watchinurace
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
We practice at riverhead at day race on tour tires, riverhead head offical said that we could race on tour tires, so riverhead would have 14 modifieds that night, we finish 7 at end of race we were DQ'd to 14 place, illegal tires?????? things like this is why riverhead has 13 cars on saturday night, we are done racing at this track. sorry to all OUR fans; we have to race there in aug 1 with nascar tour.(WRITTEN BY CREW CHIEF CAPTAIN 68)
Bushman
Not sure which "head offical" said you could "race" on tour tires or if it was a mis communication or not, however there is and always has been a tire rule at Riverhead Raceway. Every driver in the modified division was instructed on that rule. Sorry you were DQ'ed but I believe the Officials made the right decision. The cars who were there this past week are the same cars that have been supporting Riverhead Raceway for years and have had to abide by the tire rules. If an official made the wrong decision before the race and then corrected it after the race I'd say at least they tried to do the right thing for the majority of the competitors who support Riverhead Raceway on a regular basis.
Good luck where ever you decide to race....

jeffrey
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
can someone tell me what the tire rule is for this coming week at Riverhead so I can have the right set on?I never heard of a track that has had so much tire issues.year after year.what is the rules this year for tires.they should just have an open tire rule.I see some tracks are going that way.maybe we should give it a try.If they try nothing you can say good bye to the mods and late models all in one year.and over what tires.:wave:and ps I dont have a mod.:*-(

Hollywood
05-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Just go grab some takeoffs if you can't afford new tires... Generally they only have 35 laps on them.... Make deals with other teams for the takeoffs..... thats the easy way. seriously... I understand needing to save money in this economy! I bet you can get a set of good tires for a few hundred bucks. JMO

catfish
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
From what the rules were said to be if you do not buy new ones you can't start in the top 15. How does that work with 13 or 14 cars, what do you start in turn 4 when the cars take the green ?

Hollywood
05-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Hmmmmmmm Good point!

hollywoodmic
05-21-2009, 09:43 AM
I was told the 68 could start on those tires but had to go one lap only. I thought that was a nice gesture you pay for pit passes don't buy tires, don't run the track tire and are able to pick up 14th place money to go 1 lap. Then you have the racer in us, lap one big wreck, now if you race you may get a top 5 and collect more money, and still not run the track tire. I think this was a mis-communication, or the competitor mis-heard what he was told. What race track would let you run whatever tires you want, and run against teams that are bound to a tire rule. Let me also add I like Johnny Bush one of the good guys out there.I hope he comes back, I hope he does well on the Tour as well. I just think this sounds a little far fetched for me.

Ka$h25
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Surprised this hasn't been talked about yet. If I don't have all the facts, please be my guest to clear it up. Johnny Bush came to Riverhead and asked if he could use his own tires that I suppose were different than the Riverhead tire. He was told he could and he ran the race. Then after the race a certain driver complained to officials about the tires and Bush was set down. How can you do this to the guy? I'm sure he doesn't care much for the points, but now he just paid his travel costs, entry, etc, etc and your stripping away his payoff for what? I really I hope I have some facts mixed up, otherwise this is a pretty awful situation.

racekitten
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
It's not like he was DQ'd all together. He was given 14th place points & money.

Ka$h25
05-21-2009, 12:34 PM
It's not like he was DQ'd all together. He was given 14th place points & money.

Alright, that's a lot better I guess. Was that agreed upon before the race or did they hit him with that after complaints?

Teds Race Tours
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
The biggest shame here is losing a competitive car that may want to race a few times during the season. Johnny Bush has been racing mods for a long time and is a welcome competitor anytime he pulls in.

KickItUp
05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
This sounds to me like, well, there ya go.. Last year I think it was, the officals begged a LM driver to come out and help make it a larger class. He told them he'd have to run on his old juiced tires as he had NO budget, they said ok. He finishes last and is suspended and fined for juiced tires. And that was the end of that. Don't tell drivers one thing and do another after the fact.

It isn't as easy as it sounds to just buy someone's old set, maybe they are so limited on budget they cannot. One of his guys mentioned these tires were 150 lap old tires ran at Thompson. How in the world can those compare to fresh new Riverhead tires anyhow, which is why he was probably told he can race. And really, he finished 7th due to the very small field and everyone wrecking out. It isn't like he was blowing everyone's door's off. How many finished on the lead lap, 7?

Maybe since Riverhead is one of the only tracks running a tour type modified every week, maybe they and the tour should have the same tire, this way, off tour nights, if drivers want to venture out, they do not have to shell out money to buy the track tire which does them no good anywhere else, and is an added expense in this economy to a team that has to travel. That would solve some issues.

nitros77
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
It's a shame that's all there is to it. all this bs is not gonna get ya anywhere. the big picture for the mods on LI don't look good. think of how many mods are sitting in the garage .next problem is not enough cars to be recognized by Nascar for national points so your basically just beating your heads against the wall.

Hollywood
05-21-2009, 05:39 PM
you know what? The tracks that are thriving are not NASCAR tracks... Open up the engine rule to steel head engines and you'll fill the feild. (They're also cheaper) I agree the track should use tour tires. Believe it or not that may actually save people money because they have new or slightly used tires in the trailer that will work fine for 35-50 laps. And they are off a lot of the time for the tour. Watch the feild grow.

Ka$h25
05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
The biggest shame here is losing a competitive car that may want to race a few times during the season. Johnny Bush has been racing mods for a long time and is a welcome competitor anytime he pulls in.

Well that was my biggest problem with it. A guy from the Mod tour shows up and helps your pretty desperate car count and then gets seemingly screwed around.

Another problem I had with the situation in general, I believe the Bertuccio's were turned away when they had asked about running other tires left over. That was two cars lost that week.

Ellracin17x
05-21-2009, 05:57 PM
and they wonder why they cant fill the field :disgusted

jeffrey
05-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Another problem I had with the situation in general, I believe the Bertuccio's were turned away when they had asked about running other tires left over. That was two cars lost that week.

that is not true at all.they left for different reasons.not over tires.trust me they have enough money to buy tires.and anyway,the mods are a dieing breed right now.nascar has killed them.why you think allot of tracks are dropping the nascar name.and if it wasn't for Thompson or Stafford there would be no tour.Riverhead should of change over to sk or at least started to change over to sk.5 years ago.so enjoy what you have now.because it might not be around much longer.:wave:

The Bullfather
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Do you realize Barbara and Jim are on the committee of Nascar??? Riverhead will not drop the Nascar brand name!

JBonsignore
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
no pete, most people just open mouth and insert foot!

Ka$h25
05-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Ah, sorry I missed the existing discussion, thanks for merging it. I'm curious to know what the real details are. Was he told he could race one lap? I have trouble believing that only because it's not very typical of RR to say, "well, what you want to do is illegal, but we'll let you take last place money anyway."

hollywoodmic
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Again from what I understand John he told them he was just coming to practice, not race. So being that they did pay to get in they gave him a chance to make some money back by taking the green. There is not a racecar driver alive that after all those cars were out would not have tried to race. The only question I do have is, if what I was told about this situation is true, why not black flag him on lap 2 ? Again it's not an easy job trying to make everyone happy, let's hope they can straighten it out.