PDA

View Full Version : Wild Move Takes Clifton to the Win at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
05-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Clifton goes fourth to first in one lap, then holds off repeated challenges.

The Modified 100-lappers at Bowman Gray Stadium are known for being some of the most exciting racing you’ll see anywhere. And on Saturday, the Whelen 100 for the Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series didn’t disappoint.
When the competitors randomly drew for starting position, Dean Ward of Winston-Salem plucked the pole with Brad Robbins of Winston-Salem starting beside him on the outside front row.
As the green flag waved, Ward jumped into the lead while the third place car of Walnut Cove resident Burt Myers challenged Robbins for second. After an extended battle, Myers finally completed the pass. Then it was relatively smooth sailing until the first caution on lap 50.
With the caution came the first Double-File “Choice” Restart. Second place Burt Myers chose the outside lane, putting him door to door with race leader Dean Ward. Third place Randy Butner of Pfafftown chose to stay inside, and fourth place Michael Clifton of Walkertown took a risk and went to the outside row.
“Randy Butner was having trouble. His tires had gone away – I could tell. I figured I could at least fall into third and improve a spot - and maybe on next restart I could get better,” said Clifton.
Clifton’s chance to improve his position came earlier than expected. As Dean Ward and Burt Myers battled side by side for the lead, Ward was able to use the inside groove to clear Myers – but as a result of his effort, Ward got a little loose and slipped slightly to the outside. Clifton passed the ailing car of Randy Butner – and then in one fell swoop, he dashed to the inside to get by both Myers and Ward to claim the lead.
“I went down to the corner, and there they go into the guard rail,” said Clifton. “I went to the inside, and I had to drive it up in the dirt – but I made it stick.”
It was only two laps later that the second caution came out, giving the #1 car of Myers a chance to go outside for the restart. For an entire lap, Myers and Clifton fought side-by-side for the lead. Defending Champion Tim Brown of Cana, Va. was right on the bumper of Clifton – hoping that Myers would be find himself caught on the outside groove, allowing Brown to claim second. Although Myers didn’t get past Clifton, Myers was able to squeeze back into the inside groove in front of Brown.
Another restart gave Myers another shot at the lead – Clifton fought him back. Yet another caution on lap 72 put Clifton and Myers on the front row again. Once again, Clifton defended his lead. Myers, however, lost position after Tim Brown moved up to second.
The final caution came on lap 79, and this time Clifton had to protect his turf against Tim Brown. Not only did Clifton keep the lead, but Myers was able to return the favor and retake second place from Brown.
Clifton went on to claim his first checkered of the 2009 season. Myers took second, Brown third, and Junior Miller of Danbury claimed fourth.
Ironically, Clifton owes part of his success to mechanical problems with his car. “The motor started missing there at the end. I think I have a header gasket leaking,” said Clifton. “I think it helped us a little out of the corner. It didn’t spin the tires quite as bad.”

In the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Steven Berrier of Germanton flew from 11th up to the front to take the checkered in the 20-lap race on Saturday. Defending Champion Ronnie Clifton of Walkertown finished second, with Chad Brooks of Winston-Salem claiming third.

In the 104.1 WTQR Street Stock Series, Tim Vaden of Kernersville brought home the win in the 20-lap race. Billy Gregg of Winston-Salem and David Sumner of Trinity finished in second and third.

Another 20-lap race for the Sportsman cars was on the schedule for Saturday, as well as two 15-lappers for the Time Warner Cable Stadium Stock Series. But Mother Nature had different plans: rain showers caused the cancellation of those final races on Saturday.

Race Results
Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series
Whelen 100 – 100 laps
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 50 Michael Clifton Walkertown, NC
2 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
3 83 Tim Brown Cana, VA
4 69 Junior Miller Danbury, NC
5 28 Mike Adams Winston-Salem, NC
6 5 Randy Butner Pfafftown, NC
7 14 Bobby Hutchens Lexington, NC
8 40 Brad Robbins Winston-Salem, NC
9 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
10 72 Brent Elliott Denton, NC
11 71 Dean Ward Winston-Salem, NC
12 53 Jonathan Brown Kernersville, NC
13 45 Lee Stimpson Lewisville, NC
14 97 Bryan Dauzat Midland,NC
15 51 Stan Welborn Germanton, NC
16 75 Robert Jeffreys Winston-Salem, NC
17 70 Alfred Hill Jonesville, NC
18 31 Gene Pack Walkertown, NC
19 77 Lee Jeffreys High Point, NC

Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series
1st Sportsman – 20 laps
1 79 Steven Berrier Germanton, NC
2 66 Ronnie Clifton Walkertown, NC
3 75 Chad Brooks Winston-Salem, NC
4 50 Barry Edwards Pinnacle, NC
5 5 Kyle Edwards King, NC
6 23 Scott Hall Walkertown, NC
7 18 Kenny Bost Kernersville, NC
8 13 Luke Fleming Mount Airy, NC
9 21 Tommy Neal Walkertown, NC
10 38 Mitch Gales Lexington, NC
11 70 Gary Ledbetter Lexington, NC
12 77 Keith McMichael Belews Creek, NC
13 68 Robbie Brewer Winston-Salem, NC
14 86 Taylor Branch Lewisville, NC
15 02 Derek Stoltz Walkertown, NC
16 44 Daniel Beeson Kernersville, NC
17 30 Mike Evans King, NC
18 72 Bryant Robertson Lexington, NC
19 64 Steve Truell Midway,NC
20 0 Steve Holleman Winston-Salem, NC
21 00 Shaun Cockerham East Bend, NC
22 3 Jeff Garrison Winston-Salem, NC
23 19 Michael Adams Yadkinville, NC
24 12 Brad Smith Winston-Salem, NC

2nd Sportsman – Cancelled Due to Rain

104.1 WTQR Street Stock Series - 20 laps
1 18 Tim Vaden Kernersville, NC
2 99 Billy Gregg Winston-Salem, NC
3 1 David Sumner Trinity, NC
4 14 Randy Larimore Walkertown, NC
5 16 Allen Henkel Trinity, NC
6 27 Matt Cotner Rural Hall, NC
7 12 Doug Wall Pfafftown, NC
8 25 Johnny Arnder Mount Airy, NC
9 15 Jerry Helms Winston-Salem, NC
10 98 Jody Fritts Winston-Salem, NC
11 3 Michael Nichols Trinity, NC
12 2 Willie Wall Winston-Salem, NC
13 11 Richard Reeves Cooleemee, NC
14 21 Justin Taylor King, NC
15 69 Joseph Brown Winston-Salem, NC
16 13 Kevin Gilbert Mocksville, NC
17 06 Leon Hutchens Winston-Salem, NC
18 81 Zack Clifton Walkertown, NC
19 44 Daniel Fishel Greensboro, NC
20 20 Donnie Martin Wallburg, NC

Time Warner Cable Stadium Stock Series
Two 15-lap races scheduled; both races cancelled due to rain.

Legendary Bowman Gray Stadium is NASCAR’s longest running weekly race track. Known as “The Home of the Hot Modifieds,” Bowman Gray continues its 61 year tradition of providing exciting racing action at family friendly prices.

Loren Pinilis