PDA

View Full Version : congrats

Gravel
05-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Kudo's to Tommy for the win. Was wondering when it was going to happen.

RACENUT
05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
can't be much fun for tommy anymore. not to many cars out there and no compitition. you would think by now he would want a challenge and move up a division. looks like he's going to retire as a bb driver, wow.

The Bullfather
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
He's looking to get out of the division it seems, he really been pushing to sell the car this past week. He wants to mix it up, but don't say there is no competition in the Blunderbust, we have a lot of good drivers and some up and coming with guys like Crazy Eddie, Bader Jr., Scottso, Slick Pick, Rommeney is looking real good with 3 top 5 this season, Ray Shannon and his brother Bill J and Grandpa Wegmann can turn on the wick any given night.

I could see Tommy looking into the Super Pro Truck division. He mentioned in victory lane he wants to move up to another class.

RacinRob
05-31-2009, 02:26 PM
First off inning never gets boring....second of all to take away what he has accomplished is ridiculous...personally if a person can win so much it tells me one thing...I have to step my game up try and beat him, and every other driver should see it as that to. Maybe Tommy is selling his car bc all of the cry babies out there, I was one of them myself this week and I regret it. I hope that's not why he's selling it, and I also hope that one of the greatest bb drivers ever atleast gets the oppurtunity to go out on his terms. And if he does retire a bb driver atleast he can get to say he was the best to ever lace up those shoes in the BB. Anyway let's not stray from the original topic, congrats to you tommy, one of many for sure.

Golf Guy
05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
can't be much fun for tommy anymore. not to many cars out there and no compitition. you would think by now he would want a challenge and move up a division. looks like he's going to retire as a bb driver, wow.

Whenever I need a good dose of negatism I know I can come to the Long Island Jam message boards to find it. You race what you can afford, especially in this economy.
Let me pose this question, should Roger Maynor leave the eights because he wins so many, or Chris Turbush the chargers for the same? Unless you are out there driving and spending the mula, let the boys play with the toys they can afford. I personally think Tommy should move up and try his hand at something new to challenge himself. But he, like any driver, has to be smart and do it on their own terms.

Congrats Tommy on career win number 35, some of us still love ya!

leah28racing
05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Seems some people notice what someone does wrong and not the good. Tommy has done plenty good and specially to his fellow drivers.

Congrats Tom!

LIke Tommy said in his victory lane speech, all those names on his car are not just sponsors. Some are friends and some are for their support....not actual sponsors for his tires, his motor or even any damaged done to his car.

Biggest sponsor he has is Blaze fuel oil,, which is himself! So tired of hearing that he has all this sponsor money cause he doesnt. Just like Jim said its what he can do right now.

many more wins to you Tom, dad, and Chris! :cheers::cheers:

W. J.
05-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Rumor is that a Late Model ride may be available, and Tommy should likely be first in line if it does. That would be VERY interesting to watch someone of his talents in a car that good.

No, I won't say which one it is, but I got the word from the current driver last week that it might be available, so I know what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, nice drive last night Tom, very clean, very well driven, and good racing!:)

RACENUT
05-31-2009, 09:54 PM
he's a great driver in the bb, will be interesting to see how he does in a late model.

Dan814
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
yeah but he has to learn how to pass on the outside in any other division

KickItUp
06-02-2009, 11:09 AM
First of all, I have seen the 00 pass to the outside in the BB races quite often. He is one of like maybe 3-4 drivers in that class who will even attempt it.
In other divisions, I can count on one hand drivers who will attempt the outside. I am still amazed over that truck race, the 15 made an awesome move.. The 81 on the OUTSIDE already on a restart, chose to go down to the inside behind the leader to I guess, try to go under him rather than just pass him to the outside on the green. The 15 took advantage and went to the outside and passed them both, ha ha ha ha.. Good for him. That's a racecar driver.
Passing to the outside is not a requirement to move up to another class. Like I said, I have seen the 00 be one of the few drivers who will pass you on the outside. When others see him coming, they become road blocks. So when he goes to the outside to pass, they move up to block, thus leaving the door open, and then he takes advantage and goes under. Doesn't mean he doesn't pass outside.

RacinRob
06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Have to agree, the outside pass is a lost art in our division, the 22 and 00 can do it at will, I try to pass on the outside when I have to...the 15 truck made an awesome move, and is a talented driver but with the narrow tires in the bb it is a little more difficult.

Ka$h25
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
The BB are a different beast. We've seen a lot of the great BB drivers move up to less success. Sure some of the more talented drivers have moved on to success at higher levels - Hayes, McGuire, and Tribuzio to name a few, but I think those guys are the exception, not the rule.

Let me pose this question, should Roger Maynor leave the eights because he wins so many, or Chris Turbush the chargers for the same? Unless you are out there driving and spending the mula, let the boys play with the toys they can afford. I personally think Tommy should move up and try his hand at something new to challenge himself. But he, like any driver, has to be smart and do it on their own terms.

First of all, neither Chris or Roger are in "entry level" divisions. Secondly, Turbush has only been in the division since '03. McGuire has ran just as strong for quite a few more years. Not to mention Maynor did run a Late Model for a few years up at mountain I believe.

And lets be honest about mula. When I'm seeing Blunderbust cars up for sale at $6k, $7k, $8k+ I find it hard to believe they're any more affordable than a Figure-8 car. Especially when you factor in the pay-off differences.

chargerthunder
06-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Well since you know it all ka$h, what current blunderbust drivers would be "capable" of moving up and being sucessful.....let's see if you sidestep this question?

Ka$h25
06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Well since you know it all ka$h, what current blunderbust drivers would be "capable" of moving up and being sucessful.....let's see if you sidestep this question?

It's not like there's a formula... a driver gets his shot and either makes the best of it or doesn't. Only time can ever tell. I would of expected Tommy to have a lot more success in the late model ride. Same with Bubba Zwickel and Pickerell.

I'm not sure how I come off as a know-it-all to you. Just sharing my opinion.

I guess to avoid "side-stepping" I have to pick a couple drivers who I think could transition?

Obviously Jarrod Hayes and Eddie Mistretta have already proven themselves in other divisions so that would be too easy. I'd imagine Terry Stiles will get a shot elsewhere, same for Rob Bader.

RACENUT
06-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Out of the blunderbust drivers ,tom pickerell would by far make the best late model driver and figure 8's without out a doubt would be roger maynor.

Ka$h25
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Out of the blunderbust drivers ,tom pickerell would by far make the best late model driver and figure 8's without out a doubt would be roger maynor.

Well they actually did both have Late Model rides at one point. Pickerell's Late Model career was short lived but he did pretty well considering the size of fields back then. Like I said though it's hard to argue that Pickerell would be a better candidate when both Hayes, and Mistretta have wins in higher divisions.

Maynor always ran up at Mountain so I don't know how well he did. I do think he had a good run up at one of the NELMA events.

Ace
06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
In other divisions, I can count on one hand drivers who will attempt the outside. I am still amazed over that truck race, the 15 made an awesome move.. The 81 on the OUTSIDE already on a restart, chose to go down to the inside behind the leader to I guess, try to go under him rather than just pass him to the outside on the green. The 15 took advantage and went to the outside and passed them both, ha ha ha ha.. Good for him. That's a racecar driver.

KickItUp FYI the 81 truck was "tight", not sure if you know what that means. If you had a car and it was tight,guess you'd pass everyone on the OUTSIDE.Stop by our pit and we'll be happy to explain the reason why it was tight,doubt you will though.:wave:

The Bullfather
06-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Keep it down 81, No need to defend yourself, you did a great job with what you had and that truck will only get stronger.

Tom Pickerell also has a couple of modifieds too! I think a # of drivers are capable of stepping up in another division with the right situtation. Why are we discussing that no one blunderbust driver could move up??? That's hog wash, lots of drivers got their feet wet in that division. That division is no longer a stepping stone division either!!! With the Enduros running, the Blunderbust have moved up the card!

bulldozer
06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Well for the right info the 30 took me up to the marbles on the restart so i had no choice but to try to get down and the 15 passed on the outside only when the 30 came down and hooked me across my nose.Not to take anything away from the 15 he drove a hell of a race and deserved to win he had the fastest truck last week.My truck had a bad push we had a chassis rub on the left front tire not letting me turn the truck but thats just racing.Next week is another week.I dont see many cars passing top5 cars on the outside unles there is a restart or they get tangled up.You could of also said i passed the 30 and 89 this week in the chargers on the outside too.Yea only because they got together and one got spun.Thanks for the extra motivation this week kickitup.I was beginning to think everyone liked me.LOL:applause:

catfish
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
A lot depends on the LM car your speaking of. If he gets in a car that struggles for tires and with handling, most anyone may struggle the same way until he gets a good setup under it and or the needed parts for a good set up and a good motor. There have been plenty of LM's that were backmarkers and in the way the same as there have been in the BB class and any other form of racing. What i am saying is a DRIVER ALONE is no guarantee of success.