PDA

View Full Version : Another Bristol Test - from Speed 51

MJProcko
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
NASCAR Mod Tour Teams Get Open Test at Bristol Next Monday

WMT / WSMT - 6/1/09

Teams that will be competing in the NASCAR Whelen Modified/Whelen Southern Modified event at Bristol Motor Speedway in August will be able to take part in an open test at that facility next Monday, June 8th. The rain date for the test will be on Tuesday, June 9th.

anyone know which teams will attend?

moddog
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Franklin County is only 30 miles off I-81 on the way to Bristol. All are welcome to race or enjoy on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 PM. Kenny Minter Memorial 125 - ASA Modifieds

mattphoto
06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
NASCAR Mod Tour Teams Get Open Test at Bristol Next Monday

WMT / WSMT - 6/1/09

Teams that will be competing in the NASCAR Whelen Modified/Whelen Southern Modified event at Bristol Motor Speedway in August will be able to take part in an open test at that facility next Monday, June 8th. The rain date for the test will be on Tuesday, June 9th.

anyone know which teams will attend?

I wonder if the 7ny team will attend should be a very interesting test

worm
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
the race is the UNPH PERFECT STORM 150.

gmac19
06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
i heard a lot of the teams are going ..majority of them will show up ..im goin to guess atleast 25-30 cars go

MJProcko
06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Somebody with a camera please go..... :)

Do you have to have a NASCAR license to practice?

stoningtonmodmania
06-03-2009, 08:18 PM
are they going to run restrictor plates

worm
06-03-2009, 08:50 PM
no plates,wide open

the cook
06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I think there will be a cup driver in another modified at the test first time in a mofified

Tinkfan
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I like moddog's idea. A bunch of the mod guys need to come to Franklin County and run on Sunday then head to Bristol on Monday.

I do know the Comfort Inn in Rocky Mount, VA has a special rate for teams who are coming to FCS for the Kenny Minter Memorial 125.

Hammerdown
06-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Is the practice open? Can fans go and watch? I'm in Charlotte, may head up that way.

TJ1976
06-04-2009, 06:48 AM
I'll be heading there myself to help out with the Kuiken's. I'm leaving from Charlotte right after work early Monday morning around 3am. If theres anyone interested in riding up with me, drop me a line. Rumor has it that Geoff and Todd Bodine may run in the Bristol race.

MJProcko
06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Geoff should go back to running a modified instead of looking to find taxi cabs to park and start. C'mon back Geoff, come back and remember what racing was really like. Spencer, take that varmit off the top of your head and get back in a modified yourself. I know you guys won't get rich doing it, come back for the love of the Modifieds - after all that's what the folks in Daytona think people should race the Modifieds for, not to make a living.

Although, being that it is a N/S combined race, will they start 43 cars or will they keep the field down to 32 and save 5k sending a bunch of cars home that spent the money on new hubs etc. to take 2 laps of time trials? If it's not 43 cars then I would like the cup guys to stay out and leave the race for cars from the N/S that struggle to keep the tour afloat. However maybe if Stewart and Busch are in the field they won't cut the race short just so they can tell us who is starting 36th in the #64 start and park truck.

catfish
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Geoff should stick to Bobsleds and selling his car collection. There are enough cars that run everyweek supporting the tours who need to be in the show. Not every washed up old race car driver that thinks he can still drive. Just my opinion.

Howie
06-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Watch for Kasey Kahne to be there in the Troyer House car with Tommy Baldwin as his crew chief. I guess the plan is for Kasey to run the two NHMS races and Bristol in the car.

MJProcko
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Watch for Kasey Kahne to be there in the Troyer House car with Tommy Baldwin as his crew chief. I guess the plan is for Kasey to run the two NHMS races and Bristol in the car.

Interesting one there Howie, there could be up to 5 cuppers in the field. Gee, if there are any more cuppers in the race Speed Channel might be forced to cover the race.

hollywoodmic
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
The cook gave the hint and Howie let the cat out of the bag. Kasey will be in that car with Tommy as his crew chief for both NHMS and the Bristol race. That should be a blast. They put that deal together a couple of weeks ago and I was dying to say something, now it's out, it's going to be fun. Butchie you cooking at NH????

BigMac
06-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I may be in the minority here but I welcome the Cup drivers. This is a huge race for the series. I think we all agree they need to put on a good show. The Cup guys will help put on a better show. They will all be in cars that can challenge for the win. They'll also help sell tickets.
I'd be just fine with 32 starters as well. I honestly don't feel like there are 43 qualified modified drivers that ALSO have the $$$$ to run competively at this race. This is the real deal. I want the best starting field possible for this one.

holleratme
06-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I may be in the minority here but I welcome the Cup drivers. This is a huge race for the series. I think we all agree they need to put on a good show. The Cup guys will help put on a better show. They will all be in cars that can challenge for the win. They'll also help sell tickets.
I'd be just fine with 32 starters as well. I honestly don't feel like there are 43 qualified modified drivers that ALSO have the $$$$ to run competively at this race. This is the real deal. I want the best starting field possible for this one.

That is pretty STRONG. WHY would you want the Cuppies with all the $$$$ to come in and vie for a win and drivers that SUPPORT the series go home because of $$$$, not good to bring strength to the series. Let's see if the Cuppies come to Riverhead to help the series NO They want to go to the BIG show
I'll take competitors like Jake and Wade over Kahne etc any :confused:day

MarKim1
06-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Geoff should stick to Bobsleds and selling his car collection. There are enough cars that run everyweek supporting the tours who need to be in the show. Not every washed up old race car driver that thinks he can still drive. Just my opinion.

Lets get Magic Shoes and Randy LaJoie out too! Catfish, Geoff Bodine doesn't need to drive again to be one of, in not "the" best Mod driver ever! Washed up has been? NOT. One of the best ever, PERIOD. Evidently you missed something along the way.
P.S. I was there when Geoff got pelted with anything available when he beat Ronnie B. at the Konk. And I didn't like him either.
You are entitled to your opinion! I lived it!

MJProcko
06-04-2009, 08:39 PM

between the north, south and a couple interlopers from the TV & Roc tours that will try to make the show you can't come up 43 qualified drivers? I wonder who you would consider "qualified" and who isn't.

kinserfan11
06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I say NO cuppers at Bristol Or NHIS :mad:

BigMac
06-04-2009, 11:14 PM
I guess I'm crazy, but after paying for a plane ticket, rental car,hotel and race tickets, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of cars run around the bottom groove getting lapped every 3 or 4 times around. How is that better than watching TC, Reg, Stefanik and company battle it out with Newman, Smoke, Khane and the Bodines? I want to see the best racing possible. The fact that they have money is overblown. The 7NY and the Troyer car were at New Smyrna and I didn't hear anybody complaining then. I think the fact that there are Cup drivers who want to take part in this (on a Wednesday mind you) says something about how big of an event this could be.

LiquidBread
06-05-2009, 12:52 AM
I guess I'm crazy, but after paying for a plane ticket, rental car,hotel and race tickets, I'm not interested in watching a bunch of cars run around the bottom groove getting lapped every 3 or 4 times around. How is that better than watching TC, Reg, Stefanik and company battle it out with Newman, Smoke, Khane and the Bodines? I want to see the best racing possible. The fact that they have money is overblown. The 7NY and the Troyer car were at New Smyrna and I didn't hear anybody complaining then. I think the fact that there are Cup drivers who want to take part in this (on a Wednesday mind you) says something about how big of an event this could be.

Oh Boy, where do you start with this one ... while I'd love to see this as a big opportunity to give the spot light (and potential pay off) to all the regular teams that support the tour each week (well, actually each month currently), it's a fact that the cuppies are going to bring exposure and press to these races. It's Tommy Baldwin for goodness sake. Can anyone question his roots or credentials? I'm pretty sure he's not doing it for the money.

Anything that will help put the mods back on the map is fine with me. I'd bet if you'd asked any of the teams if they had an issue with putting their stuff up against the supposed best, they'd say 'bring it on!'.

Kinda sucks for the budget operations, but as much as I'm the first to bash NASCAR, this is a game changer. Time to confirm hotel and airlines (or the TBax bus) ...

PS. I'm not sure that Geoff could make the field anymore LOL.

MOD11RACER
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
What Teams are going to the Bristol Test and is anybody on the board going to the test on Monday ?

TJ1976
06-05-2009, 10:57 AM
What Teams are going to the Bristol Test and is anybody on the board going to the test on Monday ?

I am. I'm going to help out with #44 car of Rich Kuiken

Tucknut
06-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Todd will be there testing the UNOH car.

http://www.tucknut.net/temp/2unoh.jpg

corey17
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll be there taking photos and getting interviews all day.

hollywoodmic
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Liquid well put I couldn't agree with you more.

mattphoto
06-05-2009, 10:04 PM

that will be a great combo. Is the car # 96 or 98 ?

Jaws
06-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Oh Boy, where do you start with this one ... while I'd love to see this as a big opportunity to give the spot light (and potential pay off) to all the regular teams that support the tour each week (well, actually each month currently), it's a fact that the cuppies are going to bring exposure and press to these races. It's Tommy Baldwin for goodness sake. Can anyone question his roots or credentials? I'm pretty sure he's not doing it for the money.

Anything that will help put the mods back on the map is fine with me. I'd bet if you'd asked any of the teams if they had an issue with putting their stuff up against the supposed best, they'd say 'bring it on!'.

Kinda sucks for the budget operations, but as much as I'm the first to bash NASCAR, this is a game changer. Time to confirm hotel and airlines (or the TBax bus) ...

PS. I'm not sure that Geoff could make the field anymore LOL.

Wow, as a fan it is great, as a driver it would be great to beat the best, but a car owner who may take home less money because a Ryan Newman may win and took home the most money, kind of sucks.

The regulars do have some protection, Jake and Wade get in some weeks over cars that don't show up every week and I have no problem with that, they are far from the fastest but have supported the tour for a long time.

mikel 3
06-08-2009, 03:40 PM
The press will definately help the tour thats a good thing for sure,This could possibly be the the shot in the arm that the tour needs.Just keep in mind that the purse is pretty much set,just check the entry form for the race.So technically you could sell out Bristol and other than good press and exposue it does nothing to help the car owners and drivers because the purse is really a done deal.The good crowd will help for the next race there thats for sure.The cup guys will help fill the stands hopefully with cups fans so they will see what a great series we really have.The cup fans will see how good our drivers really are.Just look at the stats over the years many have tried and many have failed.The only guy thats even had a decent run in a real tour race, and The basically run what you brung New Symrna race doesn,t count is Ryan Newman.So to the cup stars come on down we"ll show you how its really done real race cars not glorified taxi cabs real racing for a change.For those who think them guys are going to come and kick our butts,fat chance after all no one has done it yet and they won't this time either.

MJProcko
06-08-2009, 04:45 PM
The place could be a sell out, it won't matter, because when you tell Nascar they should add to the purse for the mods that brought the crowd they'll tell you "oh no, those fans where there to see the Whelen, um, er, I mean Camping World Truck Series"...... (oops slip of the Nascar tongue)

yucaipa
06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
We all should get fully decked out in ground pounder tea shirts and caps... Make the mod family noticed.

Steve in NC
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Just a quick rendering of what I have in mind for my T-shirt.

The front will have the top line and the bottom 2 lines on the back!

Steve

Jaws
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Steve

Very nice, can I get one?

Racer1_NC
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Steve

I'll take one!

MOD JUNKIE
06-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I,ll get one also........how about Evans orange ?

modfan7ny
06-09-2009, 10:12 PM
How about if we all get up and walk out at the first caution past halfway in the truck race. Should make quite a show for tv!

Anybody game?

Alan

Jaws
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
If I go, I will be catching a bus home. We have to talk to Ted about leaving early!!!

MJProcko
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I put forth the notion in another post that after the mod race all the mod fans have a meet and greet on the back stretch and watch the trucks from there. I figure it'll be general admission. I'm travelling from Florida so I will watch the truck race.