PDA

View Full Version : Where to go this weekend III ?

limodmaniac
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I jumped the gun on this one already, but all I know is whatever races come up next weekend it's a near impossiblity that they will be as good as the races I saw this past weekend.

So for me, its probably only going to be Seekonk on Saturday, with a little Slick track competition thrown in before / after the race. Though with Matt Hirschman running at Wall, that race should be a good one.

I'd love to get up to Stafford for the 100 lap SK race but I doubt that will happen this weekend.

Dean9T
06-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Wall Stadium!

gomodsgo
06-08-2009, 02:14 PM
For those that are headed to Seekonk with the TVMRS I came across this on the web site..... more of an FYI so no one brings all this stuff and gets mad when they get turned away.

NOTE:

No Bags (Except 1 Clear Gallon Size Zip Lock)

No Backpacks, No Umbrellas,

No Chairs or Bleacher Seats,

No Cans, No Glass, No Alcohol,

Permitted into Stadium.

We have all new Bleacher Type Seating throughout the Stadium.

Seat Back Rentals are available.

6 Pack Size coolers are allowed.

limodmaniac
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Use to be you could take a folding chair and put them in back of the top row. Do they still let you do that?

RLP
06-08-2009, 04:08 PM
No, not even top row. I went to opener I believe restbacks were $1.50.

limodmaniac
06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Do they at least have back the guy grilling the hamburgers and chicken?

stoningtonmodmania
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Nope. Grill guy gone too. There is tasty little clam cakes now.

Gil
06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Still the best deal of the weekend!

:wave:

RaceVoice
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Clamcakes are gone too. Restbacks are $3.00. $1.50 was an opening day special. 6pack sized coolers are ok. No glass, cans, or alcohol. Food is ok if you can fit it in the cooler. The new rules are a pain, but necessary for reasons other than what you might think. Cannot an will not go into it. Please be understanding and supportive. Thank you for supporting us. We look forward to seeing you all on Saturday. Rain should be gone by Friday night.

CynthiaTork
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Bring back the grill!!!

Good news is, there won't be any Pro-Stocks Saturday night. Guess I'll be home in the same month, as opposed to the DAV.

csg
06-09-2009, 09:25 PM
i gave up on the konk because of the new rules. I probably made 5 or 6 shows last year. I went to the opener and was told i couldnt bring my lawn chair, so I went back to my car and got got my clip on chair and was told I coulnt bring that in, either. Then I was told I could not go out to my car after I entered to make sure I had everything I needed. It started raining, I didnt have anything to cover up with and there really isnt any place to get out of the rain. so, I walked out and decided not to go back.

the Konk was the one place i took my parents to see racesme because they were more comfortable in the chairs, and didnt have to navigate a bunch of stairs My mom called and said she got a new lawn chair for the garden and asked when I was going to take her to the track where you sit in the lawn chairs. I told her they no longer allow them. she said why would they do that and she then mentioned she hasnt been to thompson in awhile. I think she is going to TV thompson show this year.

Its a shame I like the konk's racing, just dont like the new rules. I was told some issues with the demo derby shows lead to the changes which get really crowded. So, it looks like ACT at Waterford for me this weekend with the clip on chair. May not be a better show, may waste more gas and money to get there, but I will be slightly more comfortable, and should it get cold or R, I have the option of going to or sitting out in my car to weather the storm.

Gil
06-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Did I just read that you are not allowed to go to your car once you go in? Kind of sounds like the dumb rule at Riverhead!

:mad:

Bobby1717
06-10-2009, 08:10 AM
So no backpacks, how are you supposed to carry your headset, scanner, book and stuff like that. Or what if you bring little ones to the track and all of things you need for them.

I guess the konk wants you to bring things in like your doing your laundry. Grab a pile of your stuff and throw it down next to you.

Racefreq
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Whatever reason the track can come up with for these rules, Seekonk is the only New England track with these rules.

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind putting these rules in place. I usually make a couple trips to Seekonk a year, but I'm going to re-think that.

limodmaniac
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's what I found

No Bags (Except 1 Clear Gallon Size Zip Lock)

No Backpacks, No Umbrellas,

No Chairs or Bleacher Seats,

No Cans, No Glass, No Alcohol,

Permitted into Stadium.

We have all new Bleacher Type Seating

throughout the Stadium.

Seat Back Rentals are available.

6 Pack Size coolers are allowed.

But in spite of that, the racing is usually great at Seekonk. And the slick track is right down the road. And the weather is looking good.. So Seekonk, here I come.

WhelanModFan
06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
i gave up on the konk because of the new rules. I probably made 5 or 6 shows last year. I went to the opener and was told i couldnt bring my lawn chair, so I went back to my car and got got my clip on chair and was told I coulnt bring that in, either. Then I was told I could not go out to my car after I entered to make sure I had everything I needed. It started raining, I didnt have anything to cover up with and there really isnt any place to get out of the rain. so, I walked out and decided not to go back.

the Konk was the one place i took my parents to see racesme because they were more comfortable in the chairs, and didnt have to navigate a bunch of stairs My mom called and said she got a new lawn chair for the garden and asked when I was going to take her to the track where you sit in the lawn chairs. I told her they no longer allow them. she said why would they do that and she then mentioned she hasnt been to thompson in awhile. I think she is going to TV thompson show this year.

Its a shame I like the konk's racing, just dont like the new rules. I was told some issues with the demo derby shows lead to the changes which get really crowded. So, it looks like ACT at Waterford for me this weekend with the clip on chair. May not be a better show, may waste more gas and money to get there, but I will be slightly more comfortable, and should it get cold or R, I have the option of going to or sitting out in my car to weather the storm.

AMEN TO YOU BUDDY!

He is 100% correct about the situation at Seekonk. The new rules are strict and quite frankly...FREAKIN' STUPID!

Yes, the grills are gone and so are those excellent cheeseburgers. Yes, the excellent chowder and cakes are gone as are the fried shrimp dinners with fries and slaw. Francis Farms has excellent seafood and they had their own stand because the demand was so great. My wife loved the chowder and cakes so she is not too happy about that stand being gone. No, you can't bring in a chairback, gotta a bad back? Cough up $3.00 for a rental or it sucks to be you. The newest rule now is NO CANS. So when they check your cooler, don't have that can of soda (or in my case lemonade) or else you won't be allowed in. Oh yeah, once your in that's it...no re-entry, and they make that clear at the gate.

I won't be surprised to see NO COOLERS next. I'm also going to Waterford for the ACT show plus the SK Mods. For me both tracks are about the same distance from my house so I used to alternate between both. Now I will only go to Waterford and some shows at Thompson. It seems to me that Venditti JR. is alienating people from that track. During these hard economic times the short tracks could be doing very well for themselves by keeping things affordable and having reasonable rules. These economic times could attract people who have never attended races before to start looking at local racing as an affordable family entertainment alternative. But rules like this won't help that any nor will these rules make the veteran fans want to return.

gomodsgo
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah, once your in that's it...no re-entry, and they make that clear at the gate.

What are they going to do with the mods parking in the parking lot. I always would go though the grandstands gates as I like to sit in turns 1&2, but the crowd in 4 and the front made the trek through the parking lot easier. They going to let you in and out if you have a pit pass?

Seems kinda hard to even WANT to go watch the races there. Why would a track make it so UN-fan freindly when everyones "spending" money is thinned out. You would think they would make it easy for a family to come watch the races. strange.

And if all these new rules are in place because of the crowds on the special events (that has nothing to do with the races) then those rules should be inplace for THOSE events and leave us race fans alone.

Gil
06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I left a few messages about not liking the no reentry policy on their phone lines and reminded that I live real close to Waterford. I don't care about seats, chairs or chair backs as it brings back memories of carrying that crap to and from the beach!

Phone and email Seekonk!!!!

:mad:

TJ1976
06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Im going to a graduation party in the early afternoon and possibly heading up to BGS to watch TC race with the regulars up there. Should be interesting. After all, its $1.00 ladies night, so where else can I go and spend $11.00 for myself and Sam to watch some racing

KyleMac45
06-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Wall Stadium for me! Twin 50's for the tour type modifieds! Go "$HOWTIME"

Kyle

mattphoto
06-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Monadnock for me

Howie
06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Since I can't make it back in time to Bowman Gray to watch TC race there Saturday, I'm hoping to see the Cajun Sprint Car Series in Whynot, Mississippi.

Bobby1717
06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Hey Maniac,

When does qualifying / feature start at the Seekonk Grand Prix (Slick Track)?

limodmaniac
06-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Well Seekonk starts at 6, and there's usually plenty of seats at that place so no need to get there much before 6. So I'm guessing the slick track should start around 430. If you think we should start sooner, just let me know. I expect to see you there!

Jaws
06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Since I can't make it back in time to Bowman Gray to watch TC race there Saturday, I'm hoping to see the Cajun Sprint Car Series in Whynot, Mississippi.

Whynot??? Were the hell are you Howie?

Do we need to send a rescue party?

Howie
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Jaws, I'm so far out in the "boonies", even my GPS doesn't know where I am. It's OK though, I know my way home.

BigMac
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
It sounds to me like the situation at Seekonk has a lot to do with
security(Homeland). That may be coming from the state or the city. I'd cut them a little slack if they are getting pressure from above to do this. They do the same at Fenway and the Boston Garden. Its not that big of a deal IMO. All part of the world we live in.

LiquidBread
06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Toledo Speedway Friday night for the ISMA Supers and the USAC boys. The mods have got to add this place to their schedule.

CynthiaTork
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Toledo Speedway is AWESOME

fastbackss
06-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Doing what LiquidBread said, except that it is the AVSS 410 sprints, not USAC. The USAC midgets team up with IMSA Saturday night at Berlin in Michigan.

I agree with his sentiment about the mods at Toledo. Good venue and very racy. Time trials are a hoot for this show, because believe it or not the supermods and sprints run roughly the same times. They have a "competition" to see who is faster - I think the sprints have been faster 2 of the last 3 years. I will say that the sprints are way impressive, because they are sliding all over the place, and the fastest guys will not lift and actually "hook" their left front in the grass to help the car rotate out of 4.

P.S. Despite being pleased to go to this show, I wish that I were at Wall instead.

CynthiaTork
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Difference being AVSS can run special tires for time trials. ISMA cars have to run the tires the qualified on, in the feature.

Gil
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
It sounds to me like the situation at Seekonk has a lot to do with
security(Homeland). That may be coming from the state or the city. I'd cut them a little slack if they are getting pressure from above to do this. They do the same at Fenway and the Boston Garden. Its not that big of a deal IMO. All part of the world we live in.

I've never been to Fenway or the Garden so I have no ideas of their policies. A few years ago I went to a Willie Nelson & Bob Dylan concert at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, CT and they didn't allow you to bring in certain items (I forgot the details). The thing that upset me the most is that they didn't allow smoking or tobacco use on the grounds. A few days later I was still complaining about not being allowed to smoke at a concert and my daughter kindly that Major League Baseball (MLB) banned smoking and tobacco use at all facilities. Around that time she was going to Fenway quite frequently and was happily surprised to find no tobacco use allowed!

I've been to Yankee Stadium, Madison Square Garden and a few other venues in NYC and always took the trains or subways and would never think of bringing more than a light coat or an umbrella.

I've always brought a backpack to Cup races, but never a cooler. I really don't think its worth lugging around a cooler. I would never think of bringing a cooler to a fair or carnival because half the fun is eating the junk food. I find that true when I go to the races.

Sorry for the long rant but the main thing is that Seekonk and NASCAR still allow tobacco use especially cigarette smoking and it is time to look at that real serious problem!!! There is nothing better than seeing someone dressed in a shirt or jacket with the words "NASCAR Official" on it and a cigarette in her/his mouth talking to kids. I know that Seekonk is independent from NASCAR and I pride them on that.

(Gil- Former 2 or 3 packs a day smoker of "Light" cigarettes until my wife found me DEAD on April 8, 2004.)

:wave::wave::wave: