PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes 77 monte

deathwishracin1
06-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm hoping someone can help with this. I am finishing a 77 monte carlo for the enduros tomorrow and I have been having nothing but problems with the brakes. When I bought the car they barely worked. Since then I have replaced both wheel cylinders, the brake shoes, all hardware for the shoes, the master cylinder, front calipers and pads. The rear brakes were working before I changed the calipers but as I was bleeding the front brakes a rear line blew. Now that I replaced the line and re-bled the system the rear brakes do not work. There is fluid coming out of all 4 bleeders and there does not seem to be any air in the lines and there are no leaks. The rear brakes are adjusted but when you hit the pedal it only goes down maybe a quarter of the way and stops like it's on the floor and you can still turn the rear wheels by hand. What is my problem now?

jimwhite
06-13-2009, 11:05 PM
you might have to presure bleed the system to re set the porposing valve:cheers:

Gil
06-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I remember that some years you had to use a certain bleeding pattern to bleed Chevy brakes. It was different than the normal pattern. Something like: rr, lf, lr , rf. All I remember is that it took three of us to finally bleed the brakes on some guys Chevy pickup that we towed in due to a blown rear brake line. If I remember correctly my friend looked it up on Alldata or another service he had on his computer at the time.

Goo luck with the job and the race!

:wave:

woot lawrence
06-14-2009, 08:54 AM
try squeezing both front calipers back in an then pump the pedal. do this like 3 or 4 times this should reset the proportion valve and you should be ok

deathwishracin1
06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Ended up just pressing the button on the proportioning valve and it worked fine. Guess the last minute panic of having no brakes the night before the race made me forget to try that lol. Glad that I finally got back out on the track :)

SuperShafts
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
When you lose the rear brakes by way of fluid the prop valve closes to keep the fluid from all being run out and having absolutely no brakes...
Sometimes under a weird situation jumping on the pedal real hard real fast can also set the prop valve off...you should have had the brake light on though...
Since the brake light wasn't on you might want to look into that then you'll know to look at the prop valve right away...

You might want to look into a adjustable PV anyway, world of difference

ex04bb
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
i usually eliminated the proportioning valve,never problems like that,you got lucky that the button actually responded