PDA

View Full Version : Mexican NASCAR wreck....warning graphic.

racing#s
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
It's a shame it happens after a horrible accident,but, you can bet that the concrete divider will either be removed,or better protected almost immediatelly by NASCAR.

R.I.P. to Carlos Pardo.

NASCAR gave the win to the fatally injured driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVP5lHEIcW0

shame....

btgoss
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
This is one of the more brutal crashes I have ever seen, but it does raise a few questions.

Is the track to blame for poor placement and inadequate protection for that wall? It is clearly at a very bad angle for use with the oval course. (perhaps it is required for the various configurations that are used for road racing)

The bigger question. Is the driver who hit him going to be held to any scrutiny? We all agree that some contact is acceptable in racing, specifically oval track racing. But when does dumping someone cross the line? I know his intent was not injure or kill the other driver, but you can't always know the results of your intentions.

I wonder how something like this would play out in America? A highly publicized accident like this would most likely be a game changer for how the business of racing is conducted.

And before anyone thinks that is totally nuts, just think about the MLB. How many times has a pitcher beaned someone, not intending to hurt them, but does, and then we have the talk of criminal action against that player. It has also happened in hockey (perhaps that is an analogy that is closer to racing.)
In hockey, when does a check cross the line?

Regardless of what happens, it is certainly a tragedy for his family.

racing#s
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
My buddy,who speaks/understands spanish said that the announcer mentions that the 2 drivers were getting into each other for quite a while before the final contact was made.It's real hard to tell if one driver came down on the other,or if the other party came up on him...?
But,I had also always wondered myself, when does manslaughter come into play? Certainly,no one means to kill another driver,but at one point when is he responsible for his actions...?

RickFigure8
06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
They swapped positions a number of times before the crash. He was looking to the inside and if the 21 stayed high everyone would have said it was a good move, but the 21 came down and they touched. He didn't turn up into him and he didn't drive him around, they just touched, and that was all it took. In my book this was a racing accident. If people try to call this criminal there's no sense in racing anymore. The wall is the big problem here. Something better has to be done as to where they place that wall and how it's done. Very sad.