PDA

View Full Version : The TRUTH about exhausts..side pipes

DerbyN8-128
06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
NEETS dirt rules state all cars must remain stock

There are VERY FEW stock exhaust systems out there on the track.
Other than rice burning hondas, you do not hear very many loud STOCK cars on the street, so obviously these extremely loud cars on the track are not stock.

As far as I know, there are VERY VERY VERY few cars on the roads these days with side pipes (exiting out the side of the car)

On the track, there are tons of car shooting exhaust out the side

So is it legal to modify the exhaust this way?

:help:

EnduroFromDE
06-19-2009, 08:43 PM
from what im told...no performance mufflers(example:flow master) but a cat and muffler is NOT mandatory...most of these very very very loud cars are cars with no cat or muffler and just some flex pipe or homemade pipe exiting out the side...maybe Joe or Josh can clear this up...

critter
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM
loud pipes save lives lol i hope we dont need mufflers my car will sound like poo

DerbyN8-128
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Well, a pipe with no muffler or cat, exiting out the side of the car is an open exhaust, which will out perform a performance muffler anyways IN MOST CASES.

I just saw a lot of cars running their exhausts this way. On Sunday I will be doing the same now since my cars exhaust fell off in turn 4 last race. I would get piping to make it a stock exhaust again, but since side pipes seem to be allowed, it is a lot cheaper and easier for me.

ThePill
06-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I was told that it is preferred to run it out the side. I figure that means their is less piping and mufflers to fall off the cars and onto the track. In my case its better too because I have lost my exhaust in both races.

richardpetey
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Your right! NEETS rules state that car must conform to make, model and year......................:rolleyes:
But, I've only seen a few Y-pipes used on the V-8/V-6 enduros.........................:angel:
Most peeps cut the Y-pipe right before it v's together, turn them towards the rear of the car..................;)
Just add some straight pipe, couple of cheap mufflers and make the exhaust exit past the driver........................:cool:
I don't think I've ever seen anybody DQ'ed for their exhaust systems.........................:cool:
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

32danfs
06-20-2009, 12:09 AM
except wall factory stocks

richardpetey
06-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey Dan! You know something I don't know?...............:confused:
I was refering to enduro cars but, I guess, there is always a first time for everything...................:rolleyes:
I understand Wall has its little quirks but if you want to get DQ'ed for just showing up try lapdance greedway........................:disgusted
UNCLE PETEY...............:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

EnduroFromDE
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
if you want to get DQ'ed for just showing up try lapdance greedway........................:disgusted

Wait until Mike sees this...this topic will be shut down quicker then you getting DQ'ed there...:lol:

tbirdracer
06-20-2009, 09:38 AM
i run staight pipes past the drivers seat. this is all you need at bdr. i don't see anything in the rules about cats and mufflers having to be on. i know some tracks have rules about noise lvls and you must run some kind of mufflers. some guys run little muffler to give some back pressure. just follow the rules and read them to your understanding. always ask question to tech people before you do it.

spier racing 93
06-20-2009, 09:55 AM
it sucks for the guys with 1996+ cars, obd2 needs atleast the cat and the 2 sensors to run right

DerbyN8-128
06-20-2009, 10:33 AM
just follow the rules and read them to your understanding. always ask question to tech people before you do it.

That is sort of what this is all about...I was originally told stock exhaust with muffler in place. Then at the track I saw a ton of loud cars so asked about the muffler and was told I didn't need it. Exhaust seems to be one of those gray areas in the rules. The rules say everything must be stock, but make no mention of ANY exhaust changes, but obviously SOME are allowed.

tbirdracer
06-20-2009, 11:09 AM
i was just saying to ask tech people if you have questions. i read the rules and saw nothing said about running cats and mufflers. that is all i ment. i have been racing enduros from the 80's( i know i am old. :lol: )and most rules never mention mufflers. i know some run with them and some run without. i guess it up to driver and car( if the computer need sencers).

CJfilms
06-20-2009, 02:12 PM
"Gray Areas"
Definition: The area of the rules to which Uncle Petey builds his cars.
Excuse: You didn't say anything about it!

The truth be told...
Yes, there will always be gray areas in the rules. NEETS has the longest set of enduro rules among all of the other enduro series and I can easily admit there will always be issues unaddresses. Our rules state that all components must be stock for make and model. Stock exhaust is stock comonents. Therefore, replacing the exhaust with headers or such would be considered NOT stock.

As for modifying what is existing....now that is what we are talking about here!

Removing our feline friend will lighten up the car and even give it the chance to breath a little heavier. Calm down Critter, I'm not talking about that kind of heavy breathing! :rolleyes: On the downside, your car is going to sound like the junk the DOT does allow on the streets that you see all the 16 and 18 year old high schoolers driving around believing they have race cars... Louder is not always better....as I stated in a post a while back, if your car is so loud that you cannot hear what is around you, you will never know WHO is racing next to you. There is nothing in our rules whether the cat has to stay or not...

Modifying the exhaust pipes is not allowed nor penalized (unless it is regarding installation of performance parts)...in a certain sense. If you modify your pipes to be side exhausted, rear exhausted...out-the-roof exhausted even!?...it won't matter so long as there are no performance parts being installed in the place of a stock part. The exhaust, be it a side/rear/roof type must terminate behind the driver and cannot allow the driver's compartment to fill up with fumes. The pipes installed/modified should remain stock sized...a pontiac sunbird does not have 4" exhaust pipes...

If we are just talking about bending stock sized pipes to alter the direction of the fumes...no problem...if we are talking about removing the kitty-cat or moving the stock muffler to the side of the car....gray area indeed. If you change out the headers and put on a performance exhaust pipe....now there is a clear cut issue.

If you have any more questions about this, feel free to email either myself or our tech guys!

joe@neetsracing.com
josh@neetsracing.com
rick@neetsracing.com

CJfilms
06-20-2009, 02:14 PM
The rules say everything must be stock, but make no mention of ANY exhaust changes, but obviously SOME are allowed.

Good point Nate........they DID...I may have overwritten it somewhere along the lines of HTML code! The rules used to just state exhaust must exit behind the driver. I will get the rules updated and altered to read the way they should.

richardpetey
06-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I've been racing enduros for a few years and have never seen anyone hassled because he re-engineered his exhaust system.................;)
With the exception of after market headers and manditory track mufflers, as long as the pipes exit behind the drivers area, I'm sure the tech guys will be OK with it.......................:rolleyes:
As for Joes' little comment about the gray areas of the rules, I build my cars to the rules concentrating mainly on the two I's.........................:angel:
My INTERPRETATION and your INTENT..........................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

critter
06-20-2009, 05:10 PM
my goes out the sides , hope its ok , shore does sound good lol :wave:

DerbyN8-128
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I've been racing enduros for a few years and have never seen anyone hassled because he re-engineered his exhuast system.................;)

That's all I needed to hear.

Mine is now a stock sized pipe with no cat converter and has a 90 in it making the exhaust exit out the side PAST the door. So should be good.

Joe, you might want to reconsider the roof exit exhaust comment...some people who come from the derby arena might like the idea of going back to running stacks...

CJfilms
06-20-2009, 09:20 PM
We've seen stacks before...no major issues so long as they don't cause a hassle....

Petey is right, unless there is an illegal part involved, there is not much to hassle you about....but I will tell Joshy to ruffle your feathers about it tomorrow!!! LOL, just kidding!:applause:

critter
06-20-2009, 10:19 PM
now u tell me i can run stacks , oh boy i see some changes comin , ill even put the the little flappers on them

DerbyN8-128
06-20-2009, 10:26 PM
critter, only thing to watch out for would be how you install the stacks...since manifolds/header modification seems to be on the "do not touch" list, might have to watch how you install them.

RICK16RACIN
06-20-2009, 10:35 PM
the exhaust must exit behind the driver , out each side is ok !!! make sure it is stock diameter, ( dont show up with 3 inch diameter exhaust) as far as mufflers ?? well some have them and some dont, i guess its your preference!!!

DerbyN8-128
06-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I put a 90 degree angle on mine to make the exhaust exit out the side. The stock pipe is all press bent piping, but this angle I installed is mandrel bent...if there's any problems, I will simply beat it with a hammer until its a little more restrictive :lol:

RICK16RACIN
06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
it will be fine like that

DerbyN8-128
06-20-2009, 11:08 PM
I've been the slowest 4 cylinder on the track for the first two races...so if anything this MIGHT help me catch up and run with other slow cars :lol::applause::lol::applause::lol:

CJfilms
06-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Don't worry Nate, if this doesn't work we'll let you install a grappling hook on the front.....just aim for the fastest car!:cheers:

DerbyN8-128
06-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Don't worry Nate, if this doesn't work we'll let you install a grappling hook on the front.....just aim for the fastest car!:cheers:

I'm going to print this out in case any of the tech guys give me trouble when I show up with the hook on the front of my car

Joe said I could :lol: