PDA

View Full Version : Shangri La 2 tire test

cornellsgt12
06-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Shangri La 2 held a tire test today. A couple of cars hard into the wall. The place is going to be fast and dangerous. George really needs to think about foam blocks in the turns. Awesome track. Opening weekend is July 4th and 5th. 500 laps of racing for $25.00. This is going to be a premier facility for years to come.

Modifiedthunder
06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Hoosier had there tire test today at SLII

2 Mods
2 Street stocks
3 Late Models
2 SST's

First is was Joe Beretta hitting hard in the wall in his late model

Also one modified took a hard hit in the wall the driver was Dave Bellis driving the J.R. Swansborough #06 modified something broke in the right front. Dave got out of the car by himself but seemed to be a little shaken up.

Jaws
06-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Heard the one Mod cracked the third turn wall, almost left the track and destroyed the car!

I vote for foam.

uticamike
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
1908[
Destroyed? I don't think so. Jaws you get credit with the first S2 rumor of all time.

Jaws
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
1908[
Destroyed? I don't think so. Jaws you get credit with the first S2 rumor of all time.

Wow, if that is not destroyed, I don't know what is!

I guess you can buff that out!

I got the info from someone at the test, so I did not consider it a rumor.

Your turn, will the place be finished in 8 days?

catfish
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Almost as finished as that modified, thats a complete clip plus, dam near destroyed

Jaws
06-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Almost as finished as that modified, thats a complete clip plus, dam near destroyed

Come on, a little bondo and a new tire, maybe an alignment she will be ready for the consi!!

catfish
06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Now that's funny, although if you adjust the tie rods you may be able to fix with the toe.

Jaws
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
You know I did see Jim Hendrickson pass several cars with only 3 wheels touching the ground at Islip! (True story!)

kinserfan11
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Hoosier Tire Testing Completed, Opener Next At Shangri-La II
by Brock Moore

(Tioga Center, NY) Many drivers, teams and fans came out to watch the Hoosier Tire Testing that awakened the 1/2 Mile Concrete Oval known as Shangri-La II Motor Speedway on Tuesday, June 23rd.

Representatives from all four divisions which will compete each Saturday night in the ASA Late Models, Modifieds, Sportsman Modifieds, and Street Stocks were invited to test the new track and provide feedback to the Hoosier Tire staff on the scene.

Three drivers tested for the ASA Late Models division. The drivers included former TIOGA Motorsports Park champion, Jim Lamoreaux of Sweet Valley, Pennsylvania, Joe Berretta of Exeter, Pennsylvania and Scott Nurmi of Lakeview, New York.

"The track is good and has a lot of momentum." said Berretta following his first session. "A little rough but it will be fast once all the bugs get worked out and some rubber is put down." Berretta returned to the speedway in his #21 ASA Late Model and ran into a little trouble as he scraped the turn 3 wall which ended his afternoon. Scott Nurmi turned some very quick laps in his #20 ASA Late Model. He said the track is sweeping fast and it allows you to get right back on the gas coming out of the corners. Nurmi also commented that Tires shouldn't be an issue.

Jimmy Zacharias of Candor, New York, Dave Bellis in the Swansbrough Racing #06 and Billy Cole III from New Jersey tested for the Mighty Modified division. Zacharias and Cole III put on an exciting show for the fans and passed each other in turn one a couple of times. Dave Bellis on the other hand, took a hard hit into the third turn wall as something broke in his machine. Bellis exited the car under his own power which indicated he was okay.

Lee and Charlie Sharpsteen both of Waverly, New York tested for the Sportsman Modified division. "This place is fun" commented Lee Sharpsteen. "Once there is more grip and you can use the banking, you should be able to get two or three wide racing which will make it more exciting for the fans." Both Sharpsteen's stated that the tires used for the test held up well.

Frank Chapman and Dylan Terry tested for the Street Stock division. Chapman seemed to be the first driver to really put his car to the test on the new concrete surface. Both drivers had a solid afternoon and look to be a factor during the 2009 racing season.

The day was filled with loads of fun as the Track Owner George Swansbrough made the first laps around the speedway in a 2007 Yellow Chevrolet Corvette which will be the official pace car of the speedway. Swansbrough made laps with friends, family and media representatives. "It was a beautiful day and a great turn out." said Track Manager Amy Stilson. "It is great to see the fans come out to watch tire testing and this is just the start to something special."

The Staff at Shangri-La II Motor Speedway will hold open practice on Friday, July 3rd. Pit gates will open at 4:00pm, Grandstand gates at 5:00pm and the action will begin at 6:00pm. On Saturday, July 4, a special five division show will be scheduled, headlined by the ASA Late Models (50 laps) and the Mighty Modifieds (50 laps). The Sportsman Modifieds will feature a 40 lap feature event, while the Street Stocks will do battle for 30 laps. Joining the action on grand opening night will be the Cup Lites Racing Series, with a 50 lap main event scheduled. On Sunday, July 5, the action at Shangri-La II continues with Twin 50's for the ASA Late Models and a 100 lap event for the Mighty Modifieds. The always entertaining Sportsman Modified division will do battle in a 75 lap feature and the Street Stock class will face off in a 50 lap main event. Pit Gates and Registration will open at 9:00am, Grandstands at 10:00am with the action kicking off at 11:00am for both Saturday and Sunday.

For more information, you can view the website at www.shangrila-2.com. Shangri-La II Motor Speedway and the American Speed Association (ASA) - Concrete Kicks Asphalt!

Tire Testing Participants:

ASA Late Models: Jim Lamoreaux (No. 37), Joe Berretta (No. 21) and Scott Nurmi (No. 20).

Mighty Modifieds: Jimmy Zacharias (No. 1), Billy Cole III (No. 0) and Dave Bellis (No. 06).

Sportsman Modifieds: Lee Sharpsteen (No. 1) and Charlie Sharpsteen (No. 2).

Street Stocks: Frank Chapman (No. 89) and Dylan Terry (No. 27).

Amy Stilson

Track Director

Shangri-La II Motor Speedway

Phone: 607-330-2622

Fax: 607-330-3508

Email: info@shangrila-2.com

uticamike
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I guess it depends on your definition. To me destroyed is Vinnie Green's 44 at the Turkey Derby back in the 80's. Past the point of no return. The 06 took a lick to be sure but Troyer clips cars like you do your nails. Looking at Shang 2, the place certainly has the potiential to destroy cars, but I don't think the 06 is.
However on the jig it might turn out that way. I'm thinking about Sege Fedanza's
car being destroyed last year at the Lancaster opener. Looked bad after the crash was worse on the jig. Started over. As for a prediction, I've been wrong about Shang2 before. When faced with the impossible George finds a way to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Betting on the eight days? No way, my money stays in my pocket but I'm still planning on going to watch racing down there on the 4th. You going?:cheers:

uticamike
06-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey everbody, take a ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_XcVLI5oEY

Modifiedthunder
06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Here is some more videos from the tire test

http://www.theracereport.tv/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-pljS1Nzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwJHiNwsq7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_-TH0bBLc

Jaws
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
I was talking to someone, who would really know and was at the test. Trust me there is not much on that car that is reusable.

By the way besides big blocks of foam, one of those machines that shaves the surface to smooth it out might be in order.

Those cars are not yet up to speed and they are just about bouncing!

But I do love the look of that place, what was that race called years ago the Southern Tier 200!! Oh yeah!

kinserfan11
06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Who was the first car on the track other than pace car?:cheers:

LiquidBread
06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Based on the cam shots, this place is going to be scary fast. Even with all the concrete dust, these guys were still making time.

PS. Spin it how you want, that rocket was trash! Glad the driver walked away.

Winston
06-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Is there any plans to put gates over the outside wall openings entering turns 1 & 3? I hope that they are going to gate those, b/c having 2 water barrels protecting 2 blunt wall openings is NOT going to cut it, esp. after seeing video of the Pardo fatal crash. You can't bank the drivers' safety on them "probably" not crashing at that point of the track, how many times have you seen guys rub on the straight and one of them get turned into the wall, right about where those openings are? I'm ALL for the new track, and can't wait to see a race there. Just wish they would finish the place right regarding safety, rather than rushing to make opening day & making changes after something bad has happened. JMO..hope these thoughts get passed on though...

nofenders
06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
winston i was thinking the same thing about openings, not only from carlos's crash but also one that wade cole took at thompson a bunch of years ago on the back stretch, metal gate a must.

uticamike
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Attenion ALL race fans, the tracks not done!!! Could we let them finish it and run
a few races before we start picking the place apart? Geeez.

Jaws
06-25-2009, 09:28 PM
We all want the place to open and prosper but to rush the opening and have the track not be safe is foolish. There is plenty of time to open a great new track, when its ready.

uticamike
06-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Jaws, Yes of course, your statement is a given. I'm sure the management is concernd about safety also. The tire test was needed to give proper lead time
for the manufactorers and the racers alike so that they will be safe on opening day. Just seems to me a number of people are lining up to rip the place by their
tone. You wait and see, first screw up and the know-it-alls will be coming out of the wood work.:disgusted

catfish
06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I did not see people ripping it, just asking questions

witchin8
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Gates will be placed in the openings

nofenders
06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
definatly not ripping it, just as a driver that has lost a few friends , you notice some dangers that are easily overlooked, its great to see someone actually putting something into short track racing.