PDA

View Full Version : The Bug Passes Test

Walt
07-11-2009, 06:49 PM
For Immediate Release

July 11, 2009 - Baiting Hollow, NY

Rick Jarzombek has toiled for over three years to bring back the very first racecar that he and his brother Charlie ever built, raced and won with. “The Bug”, as it is affectionately known, stormed out of the Jarzombek Farms race shop a little after 1 PM this afternoon. No animals were harmed in this test.

The Hilborn injected Modified screamed to life today. It rolls on period and size-correct M&H Racemaster tires mounted on Halibrand magnesium wheels. Experiencing this was a thrill of sight, sounds and especially smells as this car runs on methanol.

Queried about the session Rick responded, “The car really makes the grade. Fortunately this was not a violation of NASCAR’s testing policy, although, if they’d like to have me submit to a random substance and alcohol screening, I’ll only be okay until about 4 PM.” No one from the sanctioning body was available for comment.

The first public viewing of this legendary racecar will be at the Long Island Antique Power Association Summer Show. This will be next Saturday and Sunday between 10 AM and 5 PM at the Hallockville Museum and Farm on Sound Avenue in Aquebogue. Admission for adults is just five dollars and children under 12 are admitted free.

The Bug will be displayed alongside another car of yore. Ed Partridge restored, Ernie Wilsberg’s original #5, ’82 Troyer Modified right down to the Holmes & Bahre paint job. Eddie has graciously allowed us to bring this car to Hallockville for the LIAPA show.

Jarzombek said, “It has really been great to see people’s reaction to this car. I can’t wait for people to see it next week. Maybe we’ll even sneak it down to Riverhead and take a couple laps before the race.” That would be too cool.

Precision Auto
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Walt: Thanks for sharing this story. The first driver I remember, when I first came into racing, was Charlie J.......

If you could post some pictures, that would be awesome.

Thanks again........Linda and Norm Case :cheers:

Walt
07-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Linda,
I've got hundreds of pictures of most of the restoration. Rick asked that I not publish any of them until the car has seen its debut. I look forward to passing them along.

JED
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Cool!
Please do Walt!!

Walt
07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Here's a peek. Rick was happy after the test.

Walt
07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Hello everyone! My understanding is that the Model A Modified known as "The Bug" will do some pace laps at this Saturday night's 77-Lap Memorial race. Rick Jarzombek has slaved for over three years to make this as perfect as possible. It is stunningly beautiful and incredibly period authentic.

Its debut will be at the LIAPA show at Hallockville on Sound Ave. in Aquebogue earlier in the day. It will also be on display at the LIAPA show on Sunday. There are no hot laps for this racecar on tap.

There is also a possibility that Harold Seaman's Jarzombek #1 Right-Hand-Drive Coupe could be there as well. Rick was working on that Saturday. If I find out any more details about the Coupe, I will pass them along.

I'm sorry if the information has been a little vague at times. Some of ambiguity has to do with the personal wishes of the parties involved. I will try to keep everyone up-to-speed here and on the Jam.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the track!

RGeeProductions
07-15-2009, 08:06 PM
And on that note, last year my cousin Bill sent me some family photos taken in 1963. In the photos are my cousins: Kevin O'kula, Billy, Stanley [Butchie], Peter and George.

1963 Jarzombek's Front Yard, NY (http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=1430)

modscene
07-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Those are GREAT photos, Richie! :applause:

Howie
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
The car on the track at Waterford in 1963 - http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1409

LiquidBread
07-15-2009, 09:44 PM
When you see the young boys in the pictures that RGee posted it really reminds me of how small those cars really were (no not the model wise guys!). When compared to today's touring mod, they always seem big and bulky, but they really weren't. Congrats and thanks to all involved for restoring history.

RGeeProductions
07-15-2009, 10:09 PM
The model picture was probably made by my cousin Peter (http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=123435), who actually ran the #4, olive green modified at Riverhead and Islip in later years. I remember a few guys built modified models and very detailed. At my cousin's house he had a 4x8 table painted like a track then whomever had a model stood by the table and held their car. They actually raced the models like this, running around the table, LOL. If you could reach out and put your model ahead of someone, they stopped and re aligned. I only remember doing this myself once as I was a few years younger then those racing so I wasn't ALLOWED, but do remember watching. It was so cool back then. Guys would even ram cars and plastic flying all over....man great memories

Fat Albert
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
And it was "The Bug" that started off this great Modified thread...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174989

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walt
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Hello all! Just wanted to post an update. Harold Seaman's Jarzombek Right-Hand-Drive Coupe WILL be at the LIAPA show AND The 77-Lap Memorial Race at Riverhead Raceway Saturday Night!

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Axel
07-16-2009, 07:15 PM
And it was "The Bug" that started off this great Modified thread...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174989

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and what a thread that is! ***** I just hosed up abt 4 hours looking thru that thread! Great work sir!

Axel
07-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I burned another 2 hours on this thread last nite and this morning. I actually bookmarked the thread since it has so much cool stuff. This thread is a must for anyone who is interested in the olden days and history of racing.
This thread is unbelievable -- it's 120 something pages long, chock full of great stories, history and tons of photos. This is cool timing for me since I am re-reading Steady Eddie (Coastal 181) and I am currently reading about his early days at Plainville and the beginning of the Eastern Bandit years. I learned a whole lot about jalopy, modified, midget, sprint and super modified racers in the 40’s – 60’s. Here is what I’ve learned:
• In those days the car seemed to be almost as much of the show as the drivers and racing.
• There was a whole lot of innovation and trial/error involved in racing back then. The guys who built these cars were geniuses!
• There is a pants-load of money in racing now – the backyard racer is no more.

Lastly, I thought jalopy, modified, and super modifieds were an east coast thing, but there are tons of pictures from the Midwest, southwest and west coast. Looks like the modifieds really only stuck largely on the east coast tho – the same for sprinters in the Midwest.

Jaws
07-17-2009, 09:14 AM
I was so excited about the antique cars( And that is a stretch as that old coupe of Charlies still can really get around the track) I almost forgot there will be a 77 lap Mod race too!

And yes Axel you can get lost in that web site for days.

RGeeProductions
07-19-2009, 12:19 AM
A few Bug shots...additional pictures can be found on Long Island Jam....