PDA

View Full Version : Chris Pasteryak becomes the fifth different winner in the 5th Annual Open Wheel Wedne

RaceVoice
07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Jewett City, Ct’s Chris Pasteryak picked up the biggest win in his burgeoning career on Wednesday, July 15 at Seekonk Speedway’s Modified Madness. Chris picked up the lead, passing 7 time NASCAR Modified Champion Mike Stefanik on a lap 85 restart, and held on after a lap 91 restart to pick up the popular victory.

Twenty five of the best modified drivers took the green flag in the 100 lap event, with Matt Hirschman, the defending winner of this event jumping out to the front, and set the pace for the first quarter of the event. Even as he set the pace, he didn’t have any breathing room from the competitors behind. Todd Annarummo ran second for the first several laps, until former Modified Madness champion Kirk Alexander found himself using the outside lane to move into second.

Early favorite Ted Christopher, reigning NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Champion found himself battling mechanical problems, and stalled on the second lap, bringing out the first caution. He would get going again, but retire shortly. Richard Savary was also out of the event early.

As the race turned into the second quarter, a new leader emerged in former Modified Madness winner Kirk Alexander, as he used the outside lane to take over the lead. Once Alexander was out front, it looked like he would be the first driver to win this mid-summer classic twice. Two more cautions came out before the event reached the halfway point, for minor incidents. At the halfway point, Alexander set the pace with Mike Stefanik, Hirschman, Pasteryak and Ryan Preece rounding out the top five. Jon McKennedy, Jimmy Kuhn, Vinnie Annarummo, Bobby Grigas III and Jeff Malave were sixth through tenth.

Speed51.com was on hand, and presented $151.00 to the driver running 5th on lap 51. Ryan Preece was the recipient of the award.

The biggest accident of the event happened at lap 59, when Chuck Hossfeld got loose entering turn three. As he tried to correct his modified, he collected Eric Beers, who backed his Viveiros Insurance mount into the front stretch wall, ending his night. Beers walked away unhurt. Continuing his charge to the front, Mike Stefanik hung on the outside of Alexander for several laps, while Pasteryak and Hirschman made it a four car dog fight at the top of the field. As the leaders crossed to complete lap 71, Pasteryak got a run under Alexander, but when Kirk tried to close the door, a little contact was made, and while Alexander would save it and keep going, Stefanik found himself leading the event with 27 laps remaining. Stefanik was only able to sit out for two laps, as a caution on lap 74 for an Eric Goodale spin bunched the field up once more. During that green flag run, local favorite, six-time Seekonk champion Vinnie Annarummo pulled his machine into the infield with an overheating concern.

With Alexander pitting under this caution, Hirschman lined up aside Stefanik, and took back the lead on lap 75. On the outside, the two continued to duel wheel to wheel for several laps. On lap 80, Stefanik regained the lead. As Hirschman continued to hang on to the outside, Pasteryak slid the Furnace & Duct Chevy under Hirschman and overtook him for second. When Ken Spencer stalled on lap 83, Pasteryak was lined up on the outside of row 1.

As they came down for the green, Stefanik and Pasteryak raced wheel to wheel, with Pasteryak taking over with the sixth lead change of the event. Stefanik had his hands full with McKennedy knocking on his back door for several laps. Stefanik had one more chance at the lead on a lap 91 restart, but after hanging on for a lap on the outside, McKennedy was able to move under and by for second. Jimmy Kuhn sneaked underneath into third. Stefanik held on to finish fourth with Hirschman rounding out the top five. Dave Berghman moved past Andy Suess on the final lap to get back to sixth. Seuss finished seventh, with Ryan Preece, Jeff Malave and Kirk Alexander rounding out the top ten.

“It seems like it’s been a long time, but it was only October when I won here last,” a jubilant winner stated. “I can’t thank John McKenna, Wayne Darling, Furnace & Duct, Nat’s Racing Engines, and everyone who works on this car. I just show up to drive it. I was able to save some for the end if I still needed it.”

In the 25 lap NEMA feature, Randy Cabral continued his dominance at Seekonk, making it three in a row at the track that hosted the first NEMA event in 1953. Cabral started fifth in the 19 car field, but by lap two, he moved past polesitter Chris Leonard and never looked back. Rookie Chris Deritas ran second for much of the event,

After a lap 15 restart, Nokie Fornoro, whose team spent the afternoon and early evening rebuilding the Jarrett owned machine after a practice accident, moved into the second spot, but had nothing for Cabral. Adam Cantor moved into third as Deritas fell to fourth. Russ Stoehr moved into fifth, and overtook Deritas for fourth on lap 18. The two continued to battle for fourth to the checkered, with Stoehr hanging on to fourth.

“The car was starting to get a little loose,” Cabral stated. “Once again, the Bertrand crew gave me the car I needed. We struggled a little earlier tonight, but they busted their butts to give me what I needed.”

The Pro4 Modified were back on the card for the Open Wheel Wednesday, and it was 2007 winner Cory Cleary making it two in a row in this event.

Cleary led the first couple of laps from his outside pole position, but was overtaken by Brian Vincent on lap three. Vincent was only able to hold on for three laps, as Cleary moved back to the front by lap six. The two would run one and two for most of the event. Several cautions slowed the pace, which allowed reigning champion Norm Wrenn to close in the distance.

With ten laps remaining, Wrenn found himself second on the field, and pursued Cleary for the lead. The pair raced nose to tail, with Wrenn trying every trick in the book to try and get by the youngster. As they came across for the checkered, Wrenn took one more look to the inside, but could not find the running room, and had to settle for second. Vincent held on for third, with George Sherman and Robin Berghman rounding out the top five.

“We had a tough day today,” a tired Cleary sighed. “We didn’t finish anything we were in. We had mechanical problems. In the heat we were fortunate enough to keep it running. Norm Wrenn has helped me so much this year and Harry for fixing the engine a couple of weeks ago. I’m just so happy right now.”

Modified Madness 100
1 52 Chris Pasteryak Jewett City, CT 100
2 73 Jon McKennedy Chelmsford, MA 100
3 72 Jimmy Kuhn Jr Bridgewater, MA 100
4 66 Mike Stefanik Coventry, RI 100
5 60 Matt Hirschman Northampton, PA 100
6 82 Dave Berghman Seekonk, MA 100
7 70 Andy Seuss Hempstead, NH 100
8 3 Ryan Preece Berlin, CT 100
9 3J Jeff Malave Manchester, CT 100
10 43 Kirk Alexander West Swanzey, NH 100
11 80 Rowan Pennick Huntingdon Valley, PA 100