PDA

View Full Version : Hanbury Motorsports August Newsletter

RGeeProductions
07-30-2009, 10:54 PM
The month of July was not a kind one to Tony Hanbury and the Hanbury Motorsports team. The end result saw Tony changing his entire focus of racing from chasing points and championships to spending more time with his family and the racing career of his daughter Cloie.

Tony for the remainder of the racing season will be racing in selected races when his schedule permits and when his equipment is 100% ready to go.

“ I have spoken to all of my great sponsors and they support my decision at this time “ said Tony.

JULY REVIEW

3rd – Spencer 3rd & 19th.

Double features were on tap with the first one being the postponed feature from two weeks ago. In that feature Tony raced conservatively and ended up with a third.

“ I was happy with the finish as I knew I had a double point feature to run later in the night “ said Tony.

All of the promise of a good evening and season went down the tubes in the second feature as Tony blew his good motor ending up 19th. It was a double whammy as with double points on the line any chances of winning the championship are now gone. Also with money tight Tony has to make some serious decisions on where he’ll be racing for the remainder of the year.

“ It was disappointing to say the least losing our good motor. It looks as if we’ll be sitting home on Friday nights or racing our Modified in a RoC show unless something changes tonight will be our last show at Spencer “ said Tony.

4th – Chemung 3rd & 3rd.

Double features on tap for the second night in a row. The first feature, a 75 lap Championship event that was rained out from the Sunday before saw Tony running his dad’s car. As usual it seems this year contact found Tony having to pit and work his way back from the tail.

“ The car was good but when you have to race from the rear twice and the try to avoid guys trying to wall you all the time, it is frustrating “ said Tony.

The second feature saw Tony end up third,

“ I’m more frustrated after this feature because of the lack of tech inspection at the track. The winner of this feature has a rent a motor built by the owner and promoter of the track. It is not inspected by any of the track tech inspectors and I know my motor is legal and right at the limit. I get pulled going down the straights; it tells me something is fishy with that motor. It looks like we’ll have to change tracks we we’ll race for the rest of the year “ said Tony.

10TH – Wyoming County 15th accident.

Tony made a return to the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour on this night where he was the champion of this Tour in 2004.

Tony looked good all evening long as in the heat race he came from deep in the field to finish in a redraw position.

Tony lined up in sixth to start the feature and got into the top five where he contended for the win all race long. Tony led the race from lap 63 to 67 when the grip on his car started to go away due to worn out tires. Tony was going to try and hang on but bobbled exiting turn four and the result was a hard trip into the outside concrete homestretch wall.

“ I didn’t think by pitting on lap 67 in a 75 lap race for tires was a good move, I guess I was wrong “ said a very disappointed Tony afterwards. “ I really didn’t abuse my tires all race long and the car felt good and just after Matt Hirschman got past me for the lead it was like I was racing on ice. I’m ok and the car is beat up a little bit, but at least there is no frame damage and we have a month to repair it and get it ready for Chemung. “

25th – Shangri – La II 3rd.

Tony raced the Dean Rypkema owned B Modified on this night and he hot lapped this car the previous day at the track.

“ We were really happy how good the car went “ said Tony. “ We were the fastest car by far that was in attendance and I think we set a new track record in the heat. But we made some changes for the feature and they were not the right ones. But it was our first time at the track and concrete reacts differently than asphalt does. That is something we’ll have to get use to for future races there. “

Tony continued on, “ The track is hard to pass on right now, but as soon as the outside groove gets worked in I think the racing will be really good. Overall I enjoyed racing here and looking forward to my next race at Shangri – La II in two weeks. “

2009 STATS
22 starts
6 wins
16 top 5’s
17 top 10’s
12th ( 2 )
14th ( 1 )
15th ( 1 )
19th ( 1 )
20th ( 1 )

2009 SPONSORS
Sponsorship support comes from Tri – County Refrigeration, Buckley’s Automotive, John’s Fine Foods, Gail Clark Race Engines, Raytech Security, Woody’s Refinishing, Dom’s Custom Paint and Auto Body Center, Blue Collar Café, Owego Sanitation, ZTTH Graphic Concepts, Kolba Construction, Xtreme Coolers, Harris Diner, Scott Smith and Son, Mister Koffee Service, Fastech Race Car Bodies, Hanbury Sanitation, Talcott Well Drilling, and SIModified.com.

JR’S MOTORSPORTS MEDIA