PDA

View Full Version : 08/01/09 - Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
08-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Fleming Grabs Checkered with Wild Move at Bowman Gray
Fleming comes back from two laps down to win his first ever Tour race.

For 61 years, Modifieds have been flying around the historic quarter-mile of Bowman Gray Stadium – so it’s no surprise that the “Home of the Hot Modifieds” is one of the most prestigious stops for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour.

The tour brings in drivers from all over the east coast who want to pit their skills against the weekly heroes of Bowman Gray Stadium – but in Saturday’s Advance Auto Parts 199, none of them could tame “the Madhouse.”

In a wild roller-coaster ride of a race, Luke Fleming of Mount Airy took the checkered flag. Though Fleming has competed in scattered Modified races at the Stadium, Saturday was Fleming’s first time ever competing in the tour.

The race started off with George Brunnhoelzl III of West Babylon , NY claiming the early lead with Burt Myers of Walnut Cove slipping into second place behind him. As the two raced hard on lap 27, they became entangled. John Smith of Mount Airy took over the lead.

With several cautions bringing out several double-file restarts, Smith had his hands full as he was forced to defend the lead again and again from outside row challenges from Brunnhoelzl.

Meanwhile, Jason Myers of Walnut Cove was making his way up through the pack, eventually riding up to the rear bumper of Luke Fleming. Myers was delivering some nudges to the bumper of Fleming, and a stout tap on lap 79 sent the #13 car of Fleming spinning. Fleming lost two laps as a result of the incident, but regained them both in short time due to the tour’s “Lucky Dog” rule.

After over 100 laps of leading the race, disaster struck for John Smith on lap 144 as his car sputtered to a stop. “I don't know if it was the fuel filter or what,” said Smith. “It’s one of the biggest heartbreaks I’ve ever had. I had the car to beat tonight.”

Brunnhoelzl reclaimed the lead, with Frank Fleming of Mount Airy getting a chance to challenge Brunnhoelzl, although unsuccessfully, from the outside. A few short laps later, another caution gave L.W. Miller of Dushore , PA the opportunity to line up on the outside.

With both cars having limited Stadium experience and both cars giving it all they had to grab the lead, they collided as they exited turn two of the restart. The second row of cars ran straight into the situation – and in a split second, most of the front runners were wadded up into a colossal pileup.

Luke Fleming, who was towards the back of the pack, was one of the few cars able to avoid the wreckage – grabbing the lead in an amazing dash to the inside.

Fleming held off Brunnhoelzl and Gene Pack of Walkertown – the only other competitors on the lead lap after such a caution-filled race. Fleming took the checkered with Brunnhoelzl claiming second.

“Pinch me because I’m not sure if this real,” said Fleming in Victory Lane . It was Fleming’s first win ever behind the wheel of a Modified at a Bowman Gray Stadium. “I’ve been to races with my family all my life, and this is all I know. This is all I’ve ever done, and this win is indescribable.”

Brunnhoelzl had his hands full when an early race incident left him with a slightly damaged wheel – so the northern driver is pleased to even finish the race. “Coming out of here in second, I’m thankful,” said Brunnhoelzl. “I didn’t think the wheel was going to hold on the whole race.”

But Brunnhoelzl is quick to admit that regardless of his wheel situation, Fleming would have been stout competition. “Even if I had a perfect situation car, the 13 would have been in front of us. He had a good enough of a car I wasn’t going to get around him unless I turned him around – and I wasn’t going to turn him around,” said Brunnhoelzl. “Congratulations to him. To win your first tour race out - that’s pretty impressive.”

In the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Kyle Edwards of King claimed the checkered in the 40-lapper on Saturday. Steven Berrier of Germanton finished second, and Gary Ledbetter of Lexington finished in third. The results of the race, however, are still unofficial, pending technical inspection.

Joseph “Bobo” Brown of Winston-Salem grabbed his third win of the season in the 104.1 WTQR Street Stock Series. Trinity residents David Sumner and Allen Henkel finished in second and third.

In the Time Warner Cable Stadium Stock Series, Glenn Hamilton of Winston-Salem took home the win. Johnny Burke of Midway grabbed second, with Jason Keaton of Mocksville rounding out the top three.

NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Advance Auto Parts 199 - 199 Laps

FINISH
Car
Driver
Hometown

Luke Fleming
Mount Airy, NC

George Brunnhoelzl III
West Babylon, NY

Gene Pack
Walkertown, NC