PDA

View Full Version : Seat mounting for dirt

Poppop
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I need some advice on mounting the seat in my little car. I can't use the stock seat because it has a high back and the shoulder belts won't fit right. My shoulders are about the same width or just a little bit wider than the seat. I have a racing seat but it sits too low so I'll have to install spacers and I thought, why not just mount it to the original sliding base? I didn't see anything specific in the rules about that but I may have missed it. This has had to have come up some time or other so if you can help, I'll appreciate it.

DerbyN8-128
08-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I have seen drivers mount racing seats to the stock seat rails before and it seems to work out good.

My car has a custom made seat bracket that is welded right to the cage.

DEMotorsports
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
The proper way to install the seat is to have it integrated with the roll cage. An impact or bad roll over could separate you from the protective cage if the body/floor is used as the mounting point. "Be one with the cage" as an old wise racer once told me.:D

tbirdracer
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
i will put my two cents in(thats all i have). i used the same mounts as the old seat had. it still move as an electric seat. i do agree that if i had a full cage, i would mount it to the cage. safety is the most important thing. but it is up to you on how you do it. if my car makes it threw the year, i will put a full cage in it and mount the seat to the cage. if you use the old mount, i used a heavy piece of flat metal and welded metal braces from the plate up the back of the seat would sit and bolted it all together. this makes it stronger on the back area. be safe and enjoy. tbird:wave:

CJfilms
08-03-2009, 08:31 PM
Alright guys!

Glad to see everyone giving some helpful tips to our newest Small Car Driver, Kenny....I got a feeling though he may be schooling us all in some time!

See you in a few weeks!

DerbyN8-128
08-03-2009, 11:17 PM
An impact or bad roll over could separate you from the protective cage if the body/floor is used as the mounting point. "Be one with the cage" as an old wise racer once told me.:D

Like my roll over, everything moved around my cage, my seat stayed with it.
If a full cage is being used, you should never mount the seat directly to the floor of the car for the reason mentioned above. The cage isn't (or shouldn't) bend or collapse in any way. The car WILL. So you want to be strapped to the stronger of the two.

Poppop
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all your help guys! I decided to mount it to the cage and stay a little safer. You all gave me the impression that if you had it to do again it would be that way. I checked out your pictures Nate and it looks like it got a little cramped in the car after the rollover. Was it hard to get out of or didn't you have time to notice?

DerbyN8-128
08-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, when I rolled, I only had the main hoop and door bars in the car (along with racing seat mounted to the main hoop/door bars). I did not have the front two bars that make it a "full cage" so yes, the roof did smash down and made it very tight inside the car. Immediately after the roll, I was in too much shock to really think about anything other than "GET OUT OF THE CAR" :lol:. I actually had to climb out the passenger side of the car because my drivers side window had collapsed down enough that I could no longer fit through the window. So yeah, it was a bit hard getting out, and every part of my body hurt so it didn't make it any easier.