PDA

View Full Version : 08/08/09 - Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
08-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Myers Breaks Drought at Bowman Gray
With a new paint scheme, Jason Myers takes first win in three years.

Jason Myers of Walnut Cove owes Saturday’s win at Bowman Gray Stadium to many things: a strong crew, great sponsors, a new Ford motor, and – perhaps in the minds of superstitious racers – a new paint job.

Myers last visited Winner’s Circle in 2006 after winning the Advance Auto Parts 199. “I really don’t want to talk about how long it’s been since my last win,” said Myers.

“When I won the 199, my car was solid black. Then, I painted the gold stripes on my car in 2007 - and I didn’t win in 2007, 2008, and so far in 2009,” said Myers, who showed up to race on Saturday with a new paint scheme. “Now, the first time I’ve been out without those gold stripes, we sat on the pole and won the race.”

When the qualifying session came for the Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series, Myers turned the fastest lap of the night and saw his opportunity. “When I ran the lap, I knew it was pretty good,” said Myers. “I’ve been telling these guys all year that if I can get my car up front I’ll show everybody how fast it is.”

But Myers would have his work cut out for him: starting on the outside front row was points leader and Defending Champion Tim Brown of Cana , VA. When the green dropped, Myers was able to beat Brown into the first turn to secure the lead.

Brown looked for an opening, trying to slip back behind Myers and claim second – but Burt Myers of Walnut Cove stayed right on his younger brother’s bumper, denying Brown second.

Lee Jeffreys from Wallburg moved into third place and delivered some hard taps to the rear bumper of Burt Myers. But the Myers brothers were able to hang on to their positions, finishing first and second. It was Jason Myers’ first victory since 2006.

The “Madhouse Scramble” sent Kevin Powell of Winston-Salem to the pole for the start of the second race, with Gene Pack of Walkertown starting in second. Powell grabbed the lead and stayed strong throughout the race until he claimed the win. It was Powell’s first ever Modified victory at the Stadium, making him the 116th driver to win a feature race at the historic quarter-mile in its 61-year history.

“It’s almost a sigh of relief,” said Powell. “We’ve won in every race car we’ve ever sat in at every track we’ve ever been to - except the illustrious Bowman Gray Stadium.”

“I wanted my name in that record book,” said Powell. “Dad and I would sit down and watch Richard Petty, Bobby Allison – all the greats. All the same guys that are in that book.”

Finishing in second was Gene Pack with Brad Robbins of Winston-Salem taking third.

In the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Kyle Edwards of King grabbed the checkered flag in the first race, with Steven Berrier of Germanton and Tommy Neal of Walkertown finishing in second and third. Scott Hall of Walkertown claimed victory in the second race. Ronnie Clifton of Walkertown took second, and Mitch Gales of Thomasville finished third.

Randy Larimore of Walkertown brought home the win in the 20-lapper for the 104.1 WTQR Street Stock Series. It was Larimore’s first win ever at the Stadium. Billy Gregg of Winston-Salem came in second, with David Joyce of Kernersville taking third.

In the Time Warner Cable Stadium Stock Series, Jimmy Absher of Rural Hall won the first race. Victory in the second race was initially given to Jordan Fleming of Mount Airy , until post-race technical inspection led to Fleming’s disqualification. Instead, K.C. Myers of Lexington was awarded the win – his first win ever at the Stadium.

Farm Bureau Insurance Modified Series1st Modified Race – 25 laps

FINISH
CAR
DRIVER
HOMETOWN

Jason Myers
Walnut Cove, NC

Burt Myers
Walnut Cove, NC

Lee Jeffreys
High Point, NC

Randy Butner