PDA

View Full Version : Bring it back...

Ka$h25
08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
After reading RJ's thread about the heat races, I got thinking to some of the old things I remember from Riverhead when I was a kid. (Probably not all too long ago for some of ya's)

The old PA outside of the general admittance gate repeating Bob Finan's "Welcome to Barbara and Jim Cromarty's..." We used to get there so early I probably heard that thing re run a thousand times waiting for the gates to open.

The pace car show during the national anthem where they would go through the intersection and actually give a little entertainment. For that matter maybe even some guess appearances to sing the National Anthem live. I'm sure you could get the Riverhead HS to bring down a chorus or something.

The Red and White striped walls.

Oh, and sub 12-second modified lap times. :lol:

Ka$h25
08-10-2009, 12:58 AM
And how could I forget, "Hot dogs, hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries... cold sodas!"

W. J.
08-10-2009, 08:26 AM
The red and white striped walls went away when R.J.Reynolds left racing. They provided the paint and insisted on the color scheme to promote Winston. Remember, all of the buildings were also red and white.

modprincess8x
08-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Hmmmm....maybe we can bring back the concept of the officials following the rules that they create!

allhailunc
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm....maybe we can bring back the concept of the officials following the rules that they create!

yo may be asking for "too" much with that one:lol:

Wheel Racing
08-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Remember that "Respect" isn't earned, it is taped to a wall and then falls off during a meeting.......lol that sure was a sign of things to come

RickFigure8
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Kerry you're probably not even old enough to remember that, I'm not even sure I am, lol

debbie33
08-12-2009, 05:22 AM
You have to give respect to get respect and there is one of the Stewards that doesn't see it that way. His power trip of being a Chief Steward has ruined that place. Other things to bring back ... the car counts, more than 3 divisions on some nights, consistancy with calls. Now I don't go to the track every Saturday anymore due to running the tour but it is a sad sight at Riverhead when I do go and the pits are half full each week.
The biggest thing to bring back to Riverhead is the racing I mean the real side by side racing not the follow the leader stuff we have now.

CuriousGeorge
08-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I miss the guy pushing a shopping cart full of "hot" pretzels around the track for sale.

Tommyj16
08-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I remember when guys who were rookies would race & maybe win heat races and gain so much seat time rather than 2 warm ups and feature where the best exp. guys would blow right by you in the feature. And the fig-8's ran heats on the oval w/ a consi

bulldozer
08-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Cold beer peanuts,With the cigarette hanging out of his mouth lol

Turbo
08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
oh man , the PA at the entrance drove me crazy! "We hope you enjoy your stay.......No cans or bottles are allowed into the raceway...." LOL :lol:

allhailunc
08-13-2009, 02:27 AM
I miss the guy pushing a shopping cart full of "hot" pretzels around the track for sale.

Teddy was a character:lol:

RGeeProductions
08-13-2009, 06:02 AM
oh man , the PA at the entrance drove me crazy! "We hope you enjoy your stay.......No cans or bottles are allowed into the raceway...." LOL :lol:

With the Mr Frosty theme running in the background!!!!

hollywoodmic
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
OK kids what Finan's message used to say was " Welcome to Riverhead Raceway. We hope you enjoy todays racing program. Remember no cans or bottles are permitted into the Raceway" then it would start all over again and again and again.

Tracy87BB
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Didn't it also say something about bringing everything in with you because you would not be permitted to leave and then re-enter the raceway?

RacinRob
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes it did tracy...what I remember vividly as a kid was the picture stand...begging mom and dad to get a dollar to buy a picture of my favorite drivers. They had a lot of the drivers and it was I think one dollar for a picture...I could be wrong on the price though.

hollywoodmic
08-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Tracy you are 100% correct. It was the last sentence. " Please bring all your belongins upon entering the Raceway because once you enter you will not be permitted to re-enter the Raceway"

Ka$h25
08-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Tracy you are 100% correct. It was the last sentence. " Please bring all your belongins upon entering the Raceway because once you enter you will not be permitted to re-enter the Raceway"

Speaking of things to bring back... :cheers: