PDA

View Full Version : Saw my first realy scary street race this weekend

btgoss
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I happened upon a very scary street race this weekend, it was not cool.
I am not talking about two guys going light to light down some empty stretch of road.

This was a full on pro street drag race, burn outs, staging, the works.
(I am not a drag racing fan, but one of the cars did that thing where it looks like the car is being pulled like an arrow, and then he launched.)

It was scary because of the number of people just hanging out on the side of the road (the rather crappy road) and the speed of the cars.
To say it was irresponsible doesn't come close enough.

I am not naive, I know things like this happen, I had just never seen it up close. If a car had lost control on the road (not too hard to imagine, the road is beat), or if someone had come out of a side road.

I don't know if a legal drag strip would stop this kind of thing, but I know not having one is just about the same thing as promoting it.

Is this type of thing picking up? Or has it always been like this and I just never saw it?

RichF
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it's out there. If you can, track down a DVD called "2 Fast 2 Real for Hollywood" done on LI and in NYC. Unbelievable, and they don't really care about the risks...

night gent
08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Years ago when we were young and stupid,now we are just stupid lol, we used to drive out to brooklyn on fountain avenue and it was like englishtown with cars flatbedded in to race. We also used to block off the hutchinson river parkway and drag race on weekends. Not the smartest of things but like they say "youth is wasted on the young".

SuperShafts
08-19-2009, 05:51 PM
This is 1 major reason why LIMA exists.

There has always been street racing.

There might always be some form of street racing.

Fountain was a big cruise night that held low level street racing. The big cars waited till later and met up at the diner and ran 150th st...even there was a few accidents...even fountain had loss of life.

150th st and Nass Exp are another area.

Between the bridges xbay was a very big huge popular spot.

Connecting hwy, the hutch, the bronx, franny lew, greenpoint...and the many now active areas out east...

Remember back in the day street racing made money for the big 3....since they all had a car for specifically playing on the street to make the public want that car. That was more light to light bragging but it escalated..

So over the last 70 years what has the govt and people learned... make laws that don't protect the innocent.
You would have figured after all these years SOMEONE was paying attention to life as it was happening and is now and the history of...

Some street racing will remain due to facilities having to close early or not being open all year...that is low level street racing and usually the deadliest..

The street racing going on now is mostly due specifically to lack of facility...it was very rare to have single digit runs on the street.

Yes the people that attend are stupid as to where they stand to spectate, and the racers take a huge chance in many ways.
There is the risk of hitting a spectator, a risk of a mechanical failure and the car running off into the spectators... a broken axle on a wheels up car will put that car right in your lap... a risk of a deer crossing as there coming and most drivers try to avoid rather then duck and lightly apply the brakes...
The drunk driver coming from behind hitting the crowd and the cars staged or car staged...

See it all happen people, seen friends die, seen people go flying.... seen decapitations, crowds obliterated... Cars unrecognizable after going into trees over 130 mph...

Seen drunks run into the crowd, seen drunks run into the cars...

Drunks are a huge problem too. I won't even get started on that bs.

Some would rather play and risk the street then join and fight for what they want.

unowho243
08-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Most of my friends street race and i admit i have before and it is what it is theres no place for us to race and we dont have money to go to jersey so the streets will have 2 do......... if its a street that is rarely traveled that is ... i do not agree with people flying down congested roads with families on them thats just dumb but give them a dragstrip

btgoss
08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
During the weekend it isn't a busy road, but it is beat to hell from very heavy truck traffic during the week.
I understand not having a place to race, but I was surprised that road was used. But I guess you take what you can get.

We need an Irwindale type facility on the Island. It would offer a solution to a number of problems.

SuperShafts
08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
We have a solution...problem is politicians are lying SB's and cower to other stupidity.

Like i told them....it could be your kid, daughter, son, mother...when it happens next time.....
Then what make another law.... there not working now.