PDA

View Full Version : Where does the number go?

Poppop
08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
My car is almost ready for Grandview but I can't find which way the roof number is supposed to viewed from. Is there a rule or is it up for grabs?

DerbyN8-128
08-22-2009, 01:36 PM
whichever way you want...you see them different ways on dirt.

Mine are top towards the driver side (so you can see them correctly from the stands.

Poppop
08-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Nate, that's what I thought I could see from some of the pictures but I wasn't too sure. My old car, 15 years ago had them that way but turned a little so the flagger or announcer could read them better.

critter
08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
thats why i have 00 not hard to mess up lol
:lol:

DerbyN8-128
08-22-2009, 09:29 PM
thats why i have 00 not hard to mess up lol
:lol:

:rolleyes:

richardpetey
08-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Usually, when turning left, the number on the roof of the your racecar faces the infield on a US circle track....................:rolleyes:
Although, nothing is written in stone about the subject......................:-|
I have put roof numbers facing the starboard side on some of my enduro cars to aid my hand scorers, way back before the day of the transponder..................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

crazyfriend
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
:wave: Mrs. Cutri does still hand score at grandview even though they have transponders , better to be cautious n do both then have any issues. :cheers:

CJfilms
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Up or down?

For events at Grandview Speedway, the numbers on the roof should be facing the "grandstands".

For events at Wall Stadium, the numbers should be facing the "infield".

The reason:
At Grandview, the straight parts of the speedway are flat enough for us to view the top of your car from the tower, plus there is too much distance between the tower and the back stretch for us to properly view the numbers...plus the height of the tower...

At Wall, the track is entirely banked, so from the tower, we can barely see the top of the cars. Yet, while the cars are on the back stretch, we have a perfect line of sight to the top of the cars. As I was saying about height, the tower at Wall is set much higher than the cars, so even if the track was banked less, we would still have the higher ground to view the cars during the race.

Although, there is nothing set in stone about number directions, these are the guidelines we use to help us officiate things from above!

Tracy57
08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
So.... I DID have it right last night when I put the numbers on the top of the car.... Now, how do I turn them around for Grandview??? I'm good at a saws-all and Larry is good at welding! :lol:

Critter you better watch it, someone may take your #00 number since it's ok upside down or right side up! You better pre- register for ALL the races NOW!

tbirdracer
08-23-2009, 08:59 PM
i got your answer tracy----- just drive in reverse or run counter-clockwise :-B you can race critter door handle to door handle in reverse :lol::lol::lol:. just playing.

CJfilms
08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
You mean they are permanent? You were supposed to paint a piece of plywood/sheet metal and turn it around each race......geez......

just kidding!!!:applause::applause::applause:

:angel:

Tracy57
08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Nah.... We live in a neighborhood where we can't have "spray painted cars" in our driveway. People who don't know us complain. Have to spend $ to get graphics for the cars so they look more like "real" race cars and not demolition derby cars. "Recreational Vehicles" are ok though...

BIGDADDY64
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
aint neighbors a pain in the a$$ :lol::lol:

critter
08-23-2009, 10:22 PM
well i due belive my 00 is good for the rest of the season and next since i picked it first lol , bigdaddy all your neighbors moved out lol u big redneck lol i love ya big bro

Poppop
08-24-2009, 05:51 AM
OK then I'll have the numbers viewed from the Grandstand on the front strech or the starboard side as Mr. Petey said. I don't even know if this car can get up to speed let alone finish the race. It sat in the weeds for seven years and was broken into and busted up inside pretty bad. Looked like they used a crow bar to rip out the radio and it probably didn't even work! If it works out this year I might get something else for Wall and try a little pavement racing.

CJfilms
08-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Nah....if it works at all, just put it on the pavement!

Seven years, huh? Can't wait to see it back in action!!!:applause:

critter
08-24-2009, 09:23 AM
what kind of ride u have popop ? all ready to go ? see ya at the track :wave:

Poppop
08-24-2009, 09:36 AM
1987 Cavalier RS. Not quite ready to go but very close. You won't get a chance to zoom by me, I got a 4 cyl. and 101" wheelbase.

critter
08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
awww man ,lol well just watch out for derbyn8 he likes to take it to the extreme lol good luck to ya , we have a cavalier 4 the 4cyl race but its not close maybe next race

DerbyN8-128
08-24-2009, 08:18 PM
well just watch out for derbyn8 he likes to take it to the extreme lol

:rolleyes:
for the second time in this thread

lol

Even the exact reason NASCAR runs there numbers the way they do is not set in stone. A fan wrote into NASCAR Now and asked the question of why they face the infield and the answer was "back in the day hand scorers sat in the infield, this way they could see the numbers easier".

The next episode they corrected the answer and said it had MORE to do with being able to see the numbers while the cars were in the banked turns on the OPPOSITE side of the track from the fans...but they ended up saying there were too many different "thought to be correct" reasons for it, and no one really knew the REAL answer.

So slap your numbers on and drive around the track :wave:

critter
08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
just pickin on ya nate buddy

richardpetey
08-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Thats right Nate! At grandview it doesn't matter if you put your car number on the inside of your trunk lid.......................:*-(
Nobody can see it after 20 laps anyway......................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY.......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Poppop
08-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Yo Nate! Which way do the numbers on the bottom have to face lol?

EnduroFromDE
08-25-2009, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=richardpetey;132491Nobody can see it after 20 laps anyway......................:eek:[/QUOTE]

Mine gets covered up by the end of the pace laps for some reason:help:

Poppop
08-26-2009, 03:30 PM
OK. Now that I have the number thing sort of straightened out I need opinions on how best to bolt the doors shut. There are as many ways to do it as there are people doing it so give me some of your best ideas. Tell me about the wrong ways too, I'm sure you must have seen some.

Poppop

critter
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
weld em shut , thats the best way

spier racing 93
08-26-2009, 05:24 PM
i personally like chain...its easier to get into the car to fix things or to add more safety bars...

tbirdracer
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
i welded mine. tried bolting it, came lose and door opened when was hit hard. did the chain thing and i bolted it with chain. still did not like it. i welded and put a rub bar on the side. the door is very safe now. man i agreed with critter.:lol:

richardpetey
08-26-2009, 08:21 PM
After years of trial and error, I have found the best way to secure your enduro door is to weld a couple of tabs on the door skin( I usually gut most of the inner door frame) and bolt those tabs to the rear quarter and the front fender......................:rolleyes:
Next, I drill big 2 1/2" holes through the door and rear quarter and install a rub rail securing it with 2 tubes that slide inside each other(one welded to the cage the other welded to the rub rail), drill a 3/8" hole through the 2 tubes and install a bolt and nut in the drilled hole................;)
The rub rail will prevent the door from opening and it can be removed to repair door damage which can also be opened or removed because its bolted on instead of welded......................:p
UNCLE PETEY....................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

critter
08-26-2009, 08:54 PM
bo and luke style for me lol

CJfilms
08-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Mine gets covered up by the end of the pace laps for some reason:help:

Stay off Josh's bumper!!! LOL!!!!

Poppop, be original.... Have the numbers face the hood :cool:

EnduroFromDE
08-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Stay off Josh's bumper!!! LOL!!!!

I wish I could start on the front row...maybe I can led a few more laps, and stay up front longer...

Poppop
08-27-2009, 05:47 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Joe, I put the numbers on the regular way last night, but I will put them on the bottom if I get the time. Just in case :lol: