PDA

View Full Version : Third Gen Camaros

Speed47
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Question? I'm new to this kind of racing how come 82-92 Camaros aren't allowed in Neets?

Erin C
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Joe,

I don't know if that is a rumor but that is no where in our rule book. If that were the case then we'd be ruling out some of our own cars. If you need assistance with anything you can contact Joe at 267-767-4923 or either one of us through email, joe@neetsracing.com or erinb@neetsracing.com. All our rules are on our website www.neetsracing.com

I hope this helps you out, let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks! :wave:

Lad3der
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
i believe going back a few years we have had one running i belive it was the #20. i know who the driver was and out of respect for him i wont say who it is. that car was legeal to race so i dont know where you found this rule but this is right from our rule page

Big Cars
A "Big Car" is any American or foreign straight 6, V6, or V8 front or rear wheel
drive, minimum 4 passenger car with a minimum 104" wheel base.
1. Mid-size V6 pick-ups will race with the TRUX unless placed with the Big Cars.
2. All "Big Cars" will run according to the rules but MAY have some restrictions
to certain models if they become too competitive.

CJfilms
09-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Joe, feel free to contact me and we can clear up any confusion....

Joe - 267-767-4923 or joe@neetsracing.com

You're certainly welcome to come play with the NEETS family at Grandview or Wall!

jimwhite
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM
i think the wheel base has something to do with it same as a mustang this is for the big car devision:wave:

Erin C
09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
The wheelbase on a 3rd generation camaro should be 108" and our minimum wheelbase rule for the Big Cars is 104"...so that shouldn't be a problem.

Danger83Ranger
09-01-2009, 11:42 AM
a lot of 3rd gen camaros also have the t-tops. they must be removed and covered with sheet metal I believe.

jm31
09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I believe the wheelbase on 3rd Gen Camaro's is 101, not 100% on that...

gutter7
09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
factory specs on a gen 3 camaro Wheelbase, 101.0 in (2565 mm).

Erin C
09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
You are right, I was looking at the wrong information!

We did have someone this year who had a smaller wheel base run with us, but because of the safety concern we ran him with the small cars because he didn't have enough of a roll cage for us to be confident he would stay safe with the big cars. We told him if he put in more bars he could run with the big cars. Its all about safety.

RICK16RACIN
09-01-2009, 02:46 PM
I really dont see a problem with them as long as they are safe with door bars and some added protection!! If I remember we had Nate Correll running one in the begginning of the year in the Spring Fling. (car 12) I will check with Joe but I can say it should be fine!! :wave:

Speed47
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the quick reply;s guys. Your rules do not state specificly that 3rd gen camaros aren't allowed but it says the Wheelbase min is 104". The 82 to 92 Camaros have a wheelbase of 101". I have 2 of these camaros in my garage. I have put a full roll cage in one of the cars. I planned on running it in SVS factory stock class but I don't have the cash for their track tires. I would love to come play on the dirt with you guys.

RICK16RACIN
09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Will you be bringing it to the next grandveiw race ? :applause:

CJfilms
09-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Right you are...we don't specify what you can or cannot bring outside of a two seater car.... The wheelbase rule is in place for safety reasons, plus, we don't want to see a car with too much less than 104" racing with the big cars with little/insuficient protection.

If you are building the car, reinforce it! We have several cars out there that look like beasts when it comes to size and weight! The last thing you would ever want to do is save a little money and risk getting your door crushed in on you... If the wheelbase is in fact as small as everyone is saying here, add a few extra bars. Contact me email/phone for more info as to where we would like to see reinforcements installed.

Thanks and see you soon!

mcstockcar
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Ive seen those camaros fold up in street stock races even with all the bars welded in them. They do make great cars though. The earlyier ones with removable sub frames are easier to fix then of those newer ones with the spot welded sub frames are much harder to repair when they get bent.:(