PDA

View Full Version : Next year

CheckerWon
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
According to the Riverhead Raceway site and no oyther than
Bob Finan..... All divisions WILL!!!! be racing at Riverhead next season , who raced this year.... GREAT NEWS !!!!!!

The Bullfather
09-02-2009, 06:56 PM
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause:

smiley27414
09-03-2009, 07:46 AM
would be nice to see more grand enduros races on saturday nights and add some more legend shows

FERGBIZZ
09-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Would be nice to see some more FULL nights of racing....no night where 3 divisions have off!!!:mad:

Ka$h25
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Would be nice to see some more FULL nights of racing....no night where 3 divisions have off!!!:mad:

Yeah, nothing was worse than the nights where Chargers and Trucks were both off. A night of BB, Modifieds, Fig8s and the other crap just isn't enough. One of Chargers/Trucks/Late Models need to be on the schedule each night.

Golf Guy
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
It would be nice for this, how about this, no more of that- ENOUGH of the complaining. How about a thumbs up for early notice on ALL divisions racing next year. I am tired of the *****in and moaning that goes on around here, let's start looking at the glass half full folks.

FERGBIZZ
09-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Just tired of going to the racetrack to see racing and instead seeing drifting demonstrations among other things...and those long intermissions between the 430 start and the 6pm features. Of course its a great thing that all divisions are on for next year....now give them an adequate amount of races

btgoss
09-05-2009, 08:01 AM
The track should be praised for making any announcement about next year early.

Forums are for voicing concerns, you can see that as complaining if you would like, but people who care are going think differently and should voice those opinions.

While it is great that all of the car owners and drivers have a head start on next year, I think the track should have made some changes. Just like you may have to trim some branches from a tree to keep the core strong, there should have been some changes to the tracks divisions.

Clearly there are several divisions are that do not have strong car/truck counts (strangely not the Modifieds). Also, as has been noted here, the cost of some of these divisions has gotten out of hand. It would have been great for the track to meet with the owners/drivers and worked out some plan to address that problem. Choosing to do nothing, however early, may not be the best choice long term.

Ka$h25
09-05-2009, 08:48 AM
The track should be praised for making any announcement about next year early.

Forums are for voicing concerns, you can see that as complaining if you would like, but people who care are going think differently and should voice those opinions.

While it is great that all of the car owners and drivers have a head start on next year, I think the track should have made some changes. Just like you may have to trim some branches from a tree to keep the core strong, there should have been some changes to the tracks divisions.

Clearly there are several divisions are that do not have strong car/truck counts (strangely not the Modifieds). Also, as has been noted here, the cost of some of these divisions has gotten out of hand. It would have been great for the track to meet with the owners/drivers and worked out some plan to address that problem. Choosing to do nothing, however early, may not be the best choice long term.

Any suggestions? It's hard to make changes without costing current drivers money. Do you turn your back on the drivers who remained loyal in tough times to try and attract the drivers who quit for financial reasons?

The only other thing you could do is tire limits which they tried this season. As a matter of fact from what I gather Charger/Truck tire sales are probably down anyway. I don't know that anyone besides Modified teams are putting on 4 tires every week.

nobandwagonhere
09-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Just tired of going to the racetrack to see racing and instead seeing drifting demonstrations among other things...and those long intermissions between the 430 start and the 6pm features. Of course its a great thing that all divisions are on for next year....now give them an adequate amount of races

"adequate".....WAY TO GO WITH THE $1000 WORD FERG!:lol::cheers::wave:

night gent
09-05-2009, 09:40 PM
"stop Complaining".............. There are those of us who are "race fans" not fans of stunts and gimmicks. I realize that the Cromarty's are trying to provide family entertainment but you can put on a good show of racing and still satisfy the kids. Some of the best show's that I have attended this season with my younger son, turned 8 in august, have been races only and he has enjoyed them just fine thank you, for instance the 100 lap 10,000$ dollar to win night at seekonk , the garden state classic at wall, the150 lap sk event at stafford, and the true value night at Thompson It's all about the racing!

btgoss
09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Ka$h25 I have plenty of suggestions, none of them very popular around here (like run SK-Type Modifieds in place of Tour-Type Modifieds).

If by some strange twist of fate I was in control of the track today I would want to meet with the driver and owners, along with car/engine builders and a team of veterans from all areas; and try to map out a where the track should go in the next five years.

We have so much talent here on the island, I would want to use that to create a plan that places the track in a healthy spot for continued growth in five years.

What do I think that would be? This is where the trouble comes in. I would want 4 weekly divisions. That could have enough cars to run each week with heats and consi's. Modifieds at the top (running SK rules), a Grand Enduro/Bomber car at the bottom. The middle is harder to see, that is where the experts would come in. When taking in factors like cost and availability into consideration, what should those two other divisions be?

For example, can a front running Charger be built for less the half the price of a front running SK Modified. If the answer is no, then you have to think long and hard about that division. Each division should be a step up from the previous, and it would be fair to say it should cost twice as much to enter.

It makes things easier for the fans to have these clearly identifiable differences and allow drivers to mature properly in slower divisions.

I would always want to keep the Figure Eights, but they need to step back. I saw a Figure Eight race in Florida a few years ago, Freddy Tuski was in it actually, and the cars had been more like our Blunderbusts, and it was a great race/show. Maybe that would be the way to go?

The big thing I think when things are bad like this you have to make bold moves. Just allowing the track to stagnate and become some form of glorified run what-ya-brung type of club track is not going to be good in the long run. I don't think. But look, it has worked for years. So I could be totally wrong.

310fig8
09-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I agee almost fully. Division 1 Modifieds Division 2 cut the rules down the middle with the Chargers and the Late Models and combine them. Division 3Re-rule the Figure 8 division to a safety minded not speed minded car the way it was with the cars being closer to the Grand Enduro cars. Division 4 the Blunderbust / Grand Enduro combination with the rules down the middle there also. There you have the fast racing for the Modified fans, The intermediate class, the entry level class and a class for the thrill seekers. I somehow would would keep the trucks in there also as they do put on quite a good show. Pits open at 3:30 Practice from 4 to 6. Qualifying heats and consis to follow with the Mods to run 35 lap main, Charger/Late Model 25 lap main, Trucks 25 lap main Blunderbust 20 lap main and the Figure 8s with a 20 lap main. Do it so that the Modifieds run every week and alternate 1 of the other 4 divisions off so you run 4 divisions a week. Each of the other divisions would end up with about 3 weeks off per season. With this you could still sprinkle in the Monster Trucks, Saturday Enduros, Demos, Legends, Midgets, fireworks or what ever. This is just my opinion and may be just a starting point that I am sure can be refined into a smooth running track. Long Live Riverhead !!!!!

nflobster
09-06-2009, 06:13 PM
a new chassis for a sk and a good motor costs as much as a tour type so no money saved. and to add to that the conn tracks no longer have unified rules which lock you to their track. maybe blunderbusts should be a crate motor class to keep costs in check. make the chargers go back to stock body so the average fan sees a difference between the latemodels and let the modern latemodels come to riverhead (offset chassis and rack cars) which compete in the northeast; and if a certain type of latemodel or prostock has a huge advantage ,rack type or straight rail then add weight to help even out.................. just a couple thoughts.

just ask larry's or billy the kid what they get for a all out sk motor.... just be sitting down

allhailunc
09-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I agee almost fully. Division 1 Modifieds Division 2 cut the rules down the middle with the Chargers and the Late Models and combine them. Division 3Re-rule the Figure 8 division to a safety minded not speed minded car the way it was with the cars being closer to the Grand Enduro cars. Division 4 the Blunderbust / Grand Enduro combination with the rules down the middle there also. There you have the fast racing for the Modified fans, The intermediate class, the entry level class and a class for the thrill seekers. I somehow would would keep the trucks in there also as they do put on quite a good show. Pits open at 3:30 Practice from 4 to 6. Qualifying heats and consis to follow with the Mods to run 35 lap main, Charger/Late Model 25 lap main, Trucks 25 lap main Blunderbust 20 lap main and the Figure 8s with a 20 lap main. Do it so that the Modifieds run every week and alternate 1 of the other 4 divisions off so you run 4 divisions a week. Each of the other divisions would end up with about 3 weeks off per season. With this you could still sprinkle in the Monster Trucks, Saturday Enduros, Demos, Legends, Midgets, fireworks or what ever. This is just my opinion and may be just a starting point that I am sure can be refined into a smooth running track. Long Live Riverhead !!!!!

just like they did at Flemington-and everyone knows where that track wound up

W. J.
09-07-2009, 07:49 AM
just like they did at Flemington-and everyone knows where that track wound upFlemington went the way it did because the fans abandoned the place after it was paved, not because they did a little experimenting with their divisions. They got enough money for that place to be able to rebuild up the road on some farm if they wanted to, but there was no point. I guess the majority of race fans in that area like Dirt racing or the highest levels of Nascar, with no in between.

DriveitinDeep
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
what started out as a happy post was just turned to crap. Didn't take you guys very long

Turbo
09-07-2009, 11:02 AM
how about not taking this reply as a complaint, but a "suggestion". Please more nights with more divisions. :) Great news that we are back next year!!!

Jaws
09-07-2009, 08:49 PM
what started out as a happy post was just turned to crap. Didn't take you guys very long

Roger you sound surprised. If the race paid $10,000.00 to win people would complain the check was too big in victory lane!!

btgoss
09-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't think this thread has turned to crap. That wasn't fair. People are finally talking about seeing the track make some changes, there is nothing wrong with that.

It is all just a thought experiment anyway, we don't own the track. We don't have any real say in what is run there.

I think the drivers and car owners should have some say. I think the track should meet with them and try to build towards a more successful future for racing on Long Island. But that isn't happening, clearly the owners of the track think things are just fine the way they are, so "hold the course."

Does anyone really think things are fine the way they are?

W.J. is correct about Flemington. It wasn't the cars they were racing that had been the problem. They never had a problem having a full field and then some for almost all of their divisions. It was the general feeling of the people in the area. They wanted a dirt track. They didn't want an asphalt track. Special events always had a full house, but the weekly show was just never very well attended. It was really a shame, but the same thing happened in Volusia in Florida, except they woke up and built a new dirt track behind the asphalt track. Today I don't think there are any real races on the asphalt track.

I mean would you go to Riverhead if it came back next year as a dirt track? ok, maybe twice, just to make sure they aren't joking. But after that, would you suddenly become a dirt fan? I mean those cars just don't look natural.

Jaws
09-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I don't think this thread has turned to crap. That wasn't fair. People are finally talking about seeing the track make some changes, there is nothing wrong with that.

It is all just a thought experiment anyway, we don't own the track. We don't have any real say in what is run there.

I think the drivers and car owners should have some say. I think the track should meet with them and try to build towards a more successful future for racing on Long Island. But that isn't happening, clearly the owners of the track think things are just fine the way they are, so "hold the course."

Does anyone really think things are fine the way they are?

W.J. is correct about Flemington. It wasn't the cars they were racing that had been the problem. They never had a problem having a full field and then some for almost all of their divisions. It was the general feeling of the people in the area. They wanted a dirt track. They didn't want an asphalt track. Special events always had a full house, but the weekly show was just never very well attended. It was really a shame, but the same thing happened in Volusia in Florida, except they woke up and built a new dirt track behind the asphalt track. Today I don't think there are any real races on the asphalt track.

I mean would you go to Riverhead if it came back next year as a dirt track? ok, maybe twice, just to make sure they aren't joking. But after that, would you suddenly become a dirt fan? I mean those cars just don't look natural.

Actually the entire Flemington crowd probably moved over to New Egypt when it went dirt.

W. J.
09-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I mean would you go to Riverhead if it came back next year as a dirt track? ok, maybe twice, just to make sure they aren't joking. But after that, would you suddenly become a dirt fan? I mean those cars just don't look natural.I'd be there every week, watching Chcuk Steuer race (Chuck loves Dirt races). They may not look natural, but they are FAST!!!

RGeeProductions
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Your dang right I would still go to Riverhead....Dirt Modifieds are sprint cars with bodies...them boys would rip with Riverheads turns...

Ka$h25
09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
It would be nice for this, how about this, no more of that- ENOUGH of the complaining. How about a thumbs up for early notice on ALL divisions racing next year. I am tired of the *****in and moaning that goes on around here, let's start looking at the glass half full folks.

How many things discussed on this Forum have been put into action just this season? Added late model shows, SPT time trials, a Charger show, maybe it's a coincidence but lately it actually seems like the fans are being heard- WHY STOP?

We're loyal patrons, no one is saying things need to change or we're gone. Just that some things might be more enjoyable if they were different. Of course we'll never be happy and we'll always be asking for more. I'm sure the powers at be have succumbed to that. It's about picking and choosing what they can change to benefit the fans without hurting their business and I think it probably helps to know what the fans want.

Fat Albert
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
WOW! You guys are really starting to make sense...I like it!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unowho243
09-08-2009, 06:38 PM
awesome news guys!

Richie25
09-08-2009, 09:38 PM
i know for a fact chuck steuer would be still racing riverhead if it became dirt, i hear he is wanting to run a big block mod on the dirt.

but i agree with roger, since there is no heat races any more there is a ton of time to add more divisions for a full night of racing. :) maby just 1 or to off a night.

SuperShafts
09-09-2009, 07:19 PM
If by some strange twist of fate I was in control of the track today I would want to meet with the driver and owners, along with car/engine builders and a team of veterans from all areas; and try to map out a where the track should go in the next five years.

So you would skip right over only having 28 days of operation a year....

So you meet with the drivers and they want more seat time, they want track rental days...
All of which you need to say... "oh im sorry no"

I would be more worried about changing the discrimination so you can advance with the times...and charge more money to make things better..and make real improvements to the stands and in the pits and support area.

As for adding more racing....guess what would follow when you lose the big issue of how do i use my 28 days to make EVERYONE happy and not just 1 particular type of fan....

art11758
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Roger you sound surprised. If the race paid $10,000.00 to win people would complain the check was too big in victory lane!!

Open to correction but doesn't the 'head still pay cash? I never got a check at the pay window.
And to keep with the topic(s) dirt is awesome. And I'm glad that riverhead will be back with all of its divisions next year.
Now if we could work on getting the town board to remove the limitations regarding operating days (with some give backs no doubt) we could get mid week summertime tour dates again...... That's what I'm talkin' about :D

W. J.
09-10-2009, 09:12 AM
No to Summertime midweek races of any kind. Try driving East from Mid-Nassau on LIE at 4-5PM, then you'll agree.

Jeff T
09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Get the town board to cooperate with Riverhead Raceway?? Your kidding, right? You are talking about the same bunch of idiots who chose a "Snow Cone" over a race track at Calverton. If it were up to them, racing would not exist in their backyard. The only reason it still does is because of a pre-exisiting agreement between the Cromarty's and the town of Riverhead which dates back about 20 years. I'd love to race into October like we did way back when, but unfortunately, those days are long gone.

art11758
09-10-2009, 09:16 AM
No to Summertime midweek races of any kind. Try driving East from Mid-Nassau on LIE at 4-5PM, then you'll agree.

Hey I can have hopes and dreams can't I?? It was a pain for me too since I worked in New Jersey when the mid week races were in vogue.

art11758
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Get the town board to cooperate with Riverhead Raceway?? Your kidding, right? You are talking about the same bunch of idiots who chose a "Snow Cone" over a race track at Calverton. If it were up to them, racing would not exist in their backyard. The only reason it still does is because of a pre-exisiting agreement between the Cromarty's and the town of Riverhead which dates back about 20 years. I'd love to race into October like we did way back when, but unfortunately, those days are long gone.

Well the head "jester" is up for re-election. If you have some time, I'm sure his opponent would welcome some campaign help. ( I know I'm going to do my part) Two other members of the multi million dollar in the red board are up too. I cannot imagine a sane person voting back in that "team". The sno cone folks are out of cash from what I hear, so that should implode all on it's own. I smell a opportunity. :)

SuperShafts
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM

This entire post, right here, above..... Is why we lose everything and never gain...

Read that again and then think about why you have 28 days...

Definitely not because of the town board...

Most definitely because no one fought the town board....

Look at the tone of that post.... "long gone" you quit...

I had a riverhead town supervisor offering me anything...... Then the day the motorsports Community was to come and show themselves...

You were all no where to be seen.... and YOU got a snow cone....and about 60 of us that did show up suffered because the rest QUIT.

quitters get nothing.... So far we have a capable and good man looking for the TS seat, and 2 other good candidates to replace the other corrupt imbeciles..

So lets see what everyone is made of this year....98% of the motorsports community can't even join there organization... Lazy, wait for someone else.. that attitude gets nothing...

RGeeProductions
09-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I had a riverhead town supervisor offering me anything...... Then the day the motorsports Community was to come and show themselves...

You were all no where to be seen.... and YOU got a snow cone....and about 60 of us that did show up suffered because the rest QUIT.

So, you are blaming the ones who didn't show for getting snow mountain??
Seems more that the supervisor lied to you (supervisor offering me anything = typical political ploy), as 60 showing up for this matter at a board meeting is a decent number for Riverhead. You lost because you never had it to begin with. YOU were duped by the supervisor, not those who didn't show!!

Jeff T
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank you, RGee. The only other comment that I can add to that is "Those who believe a fool, are themselves one".

SuperShafts
09-11-2009, 06:59 PM
So, you are blaming the ones who didn't show for getting snow mountain??
Seems more that the supervisor lied to you (supervisor offering me anything = typical political ploy), as 60 showing up for this matter at a board meeting is a decent number for Riverhead. You lost because you never had it to begin with. YOU were duped by the supervisor, not those who didn't show!!

When a town sup goes out of his way to make a deal so there aren't thousands of pissed off voters making waves in front of cameras and news reporters.....Yes we most definitely did have them listening, when they scheduled a 2nd vote based on that outcome... Definitely because of the fear of losing voters..

We lost because you can only tell town boards "yes all those signed letters are from real people" "yes they are willing to come out and protest and vote against you"

Then when put on the spot and they do not do it.... and they see 60, they really start to question the 10,000 letters...
See this is why petitions aren't the end all answer, they need to see real bodies there taking up space...
How many times the RHT sup call you to deal rgee...

Remember what i told you 2 years ago rgee...voting for cardinale will be worse then having anyone else... on more then just the motorsports level... remember i said you will be 10 mil in the hole with cardinale....
Guess what? your almost there...

When some of you learn how the numbers thing works, you will see positive changes, RR has 28 days of operation because all of RHT came out and *****ed? i highly doubt it...from my involvement i see the majority have no issue with the track....but fact is a few *****ed and the rest didn't do anything..so the majority there that made any effort got 28 days...

I hear lots of talk out of the motorsports community...what i see to back up those wild claims of "i'll be there" and "i'll do whatever" is just like a politicians promise...

So yes i do put the fault on the communities lack of involvement as to why WE have a failed wasting time deal of a ski mountain..

btgoss
09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't want any thread to become negative, and it is very hard to disagree with someone in a forum post and not sound like you are being a jerk or worse. But I am going to give it a try.

There is much to respond too as well, but I want to mention some points, and hope we can keep it rolling in a positive way.

SuperShafts I think you may have missed the main focus of my point. I was talking about working within the guidelines that have been established by the town, and changing the rules over time so that you are left with 4 very strong divisions of racing. I really feel that should be goal number 1. Foster the development of 4 solid divisions and that should see a return of larger crowds.
Larger crowds means more people in the stands, and more of a tangible benefit to the community.

I do not think there are enough people who would come out to the protest, who live in Riverhead, to make any sort of political action stick. (I have no numbers to back this up, this is just my feeling, I very well may be wrong.)

What I think the track should do, and by this I mean the actual track owners, drivers, and die hard fans, is more community based projects for the town of Riverhead. The recent dog walk received a very good amount of positive coverage. Perhaps more things like this need to be organized. Perhaps a weekly food and clothing drive, a monthly blood drive. Perhaps we could organize groups to assist some of the Seniors in the community with whatever help they might need. These are the types of things that we should be organizing. Getting a bunch of people to show up with loud cars, or trucks with giant sandwich boards are not going to get the job done. You have to go out into the town and show those people that the race track, and those that support it are worth supporting in return.

Imagine if we had business cards printed that said "I am here because of Riverhead Raceway. Local racers support you, please support them." (or something similar.) Then you hand them out to be people and ask them to leave a card with the tip after eating in a Riverhead restaurant, or patronizing a local business. That would speak volumes to the locals. That is how you get real support.

But you are correct in saying that it is very hard to get people organized and keep them motivated. But I think doing that from a positive place is more likely. But these are just my thoughts, I will be the first to admit to not showing up, regardless of the reasons, my inaction may one day help lead the end of racing on Long Island.

SuperShafts
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
The motorsports community does many positive actions already btgoss.. In fact there are 2 more upcoming events along with the ever happening weekly events, 1 is taking place at RR.

The cards would be a clear and definitive way of showing a particular area of interest. Maybe the track could lend itself more as the centerpiece for fund raisers, that is up to them though and i do know that there are many many fund raisers and 90% of them are either done by the motorsports community or the motorsports community is USED for it... I have never ever seen a ski show....weekly or yearly.. I never seen any other show on this island to raise money for someone or something that wasn't using the motorsports community

I understood your post btgoss, but what 4 divisions should have full reign and who gets left out...
mods, lm, chgr, blb....or md, lm, blb, trucks... or md, lm, truck, legs.. The track doesn't have enough time to get everything in now in it's time frame...and here this weekend might be another weather issue.

There are more people in RHT that support motorsports then the combined total of votes for both candidates that ran for office last term.
In fact the area breeding bigotry (calv civic) has more support and want for motorsports then there little snide remark nose up convicted fellon leading group.

The gold star mothers, a group, very small, made a ridiculous call about disgrace to calv cemetery to the anti american bishop...who then weighed down on some scared spineless individuals on the town board.
So 2 small groups got what they wanted because the majority didn't show themselves and then when they had the second chance failed to vote...
However those 2 groups have a past record that shows they vote as they speak....my organization does not, there better known for *****ing about it, carrying on about it, but not getting it done....

Sad that the single largest group on long island doesn't have or get what it wants.