PDA

View Full Version : New nascar rule

SMK
09-03-2009, 02:31 PM
According to Jayski....NASCAR lowers age limit for some series: NASCAR announced it was implementing a Learner's Permit License for its NASCAR Whelen All-American Series tracks beginning in 2010. The license will lower the age-limit for NASCAR-sanctioned tracks' entry-level division from 16-years-old to 14. The change provides an intermediate step for young drivers looking to make the move from non-NASCAR beginner-level racing series to running at their NASCAR home track. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series is NASCAR's national championship program for its more than 55 sanctioned short tracks across North America. More than 10,000 drivers compete in the series annually.(NASCAR)(9-3-2009)

Does this mean that you can now drive a Blunderbust at 14 years of Age!!!!

W. J.
09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
It most likely means that NASCAR wants to give Miley Cyrus a ride so they can cash in like the rest of the media does.

Jaws
09-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I think the fact that they can and how many will are 2 different things.

Does that mean when my son turns 14 he can get a licence and go in the pits with me?

W. J.
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Probably only if it's a driver's license.

Ka$h25
09-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Are the Blunderbusts even a Nascar division? I was under the impression that the Blunderbusts and Trucks didn't receive NASCAR benefits.

Ka$h25
09-06-2009, 03:04 AM
So for those who weren't there, the Cromarty's discussed this at the meeting this afternoon. The Blunderbust, Charger, and Super Pro Truck divisions will be open to 14/15 year old drivers.

My only argument with the situation is that they're not permitting the 14/15 year olds to enter the figure-8 division. I can't bring myself to find any reason a 14 year old would be permitted to run in a more powerful division like the Chargers, and not the figure-8's. The only explanation I can come up with is that they KNOW a 14/15 year old driver is not mature enough to manage the figure-8 intersection. And if that's the case, they don't belong in ANY race car.

hollywoodmic
09-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Kash are you nuts????? This for an entry level division. The Figure 8's are for a different type of driver. The skill it takes to negotiate the X is second to none. Think of all the drivers that started in the Figure 8's that have gone on to be very good in other divisions, right away. The car control you have to have to run a Figure 8 car is unbeliveable. You'd like a fearless 14 year old just headed to the X every lap??? Let them get some expierence in the Blundersbusts and do the natural progression. They will hurt someone in a Figure 8 car. I know you have a love for the Figure 8's, we'd all like to see more cars coming into the division, but I personally think someone will get hurt. JMHO

Ka$h25
09-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Kash are you nuts????? This for an entry level division. The Figure 8's are for a different type of driver. The skill it takes to negotiate the X is second to none. Think of all the drivers that started in the Figure 8's that have gone on to be very good in other divisions, right away. The car control you have to have to run a Figure 8 car is unbeliveable. You'd like a fearless 14 year old just headed to the X every lap??? Let them get some expierence in the Blundersbusts and do the natural progression. They will hurt someone in a Figure 8 car. I know you have a love for the Figure 8's, we'd all like to see more cars coming into the division, but I personally think someone will get hurt. JMHO

My point was just the opposite. They don't belong in the figure-8's for all the points you mentioned, and I think the same goes for the Chargers. The way it was announced a couple weeks ago, the 14/15 year old drivers would be eligible for Legends, Blunderbusts, and Chargers. I voiced some complaints when they allowed 15 year olds in the legends, but I've come around. I'm fine with the Blunderbusts as well. But I don't think they belong anywhere near a car with the motor:weight of a charger car.

Also, will birth certificates be mandatory for proof of age?

Harvell16
09-14-2009, 11:08 AM
There is a 12 year old running a late model at mountain, and he gets around the track pretty dam good. I think if they are capable of racing then let them.

W. J.
09-14-2009, 12:29 PM
That's a big risk that Nascar apparently isn't willing to take. I'm with them. If that kid ever gets hurt or worse, the bad press for racing will last a week.

Ka$h25
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I know for sure there are a select few who would really benefit from the changes. If Timmy Solomito, Justin Bonsignore, Kevin Orlando etc started a couple years earlier who knows where they'd be. But not everyone is that talented, dedicated and prepared.

We'll just have to sit back and watch.

SuperShafts
09-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't put my son behind the wheel of any of my cars at 14...or 15...

You don't need different cars to gain experience or benefit...

Many of the BEST drivers went right from a go kart to whatever it was they were aiming for

RickFigure8
09-16-2009, 05:15 AM
I think nascar and at the track level they are opening themselves up to what could turn in to a legal mess if one of these kids get severely hurt or killed. I know the parents sign consent but I am willing to bet CPS would be all over the parents for doing that. Bottom line parents are supposed to be responsible for their childs safety and well being while they are a minor. As much as the minors release is legal many people consider auto racing a dangerous sport. I'm sure that's how CPS would see it if someone got hurt.

W. J.
09-16-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm still trying to clarify what this 'learner's permit' gives them in the way of actual race status. If they are to compete in the races with everyone else in the allowed divisions, as opposed to some new rookie or learner division, why isn't it just a license?
Does anyone know for sure what this actually means?

watchinurace
09-16-2009, 08:31 AM
:)This of course is only my opinion for what it's worth.
Racing is a sport just like football, baseball, basketball, wrestling ect.
All sports carry the risk of injury and the possibilty of death.
Life in general carries this same risk.
That being said it is my belief that auto racing is a safe sport.
Our teenage racers are protected with roll bars, seat belts, hans devices and helmuts. The race cars are built to handle a crash. Can our teenagers get hurt racing ..yes they can, however they can also get hurt walking out the door to the bus stop or on the football field or on the gym floor or in a go cart.
Life is a risk!!!
The officials at each individual race track will I am sure, supervise all rookie drivers and the teenage rookie will especially have to make the grade.
I think in just our small group of teenage rookies one can see the potential in these young drivers. These kids all proved they have the potential to become successful racecar drivers. Seat time and parental/adult support is all they need....
As far as the CPS comment that is a stretch I think. CPS has a hard enough time tracking teenagers who are really at risk.
A teenage race car driver usually will have cohesive parents/adults who support their efforts and provide supervision and instruction.
I am in support of the new NASCAR rule and I am sure the seasoned veteran racecar drivers are excited to be able to pass on their knowlege to that rookie teenage driver just starting out. These kids are after all the future to the sport of auto racing....:)

don38
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
No 14 year old kid should be in anyrace car let alone, a modified. Yea some kids can drive good at that age, but can they handle the responsibility that comes with racing with that much horse power. I dont think so.

RickFigure8
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
watchinurace, yes, I agree with you, certain kids really benefit by the early start. My thoughts on CPS are not so much before but after if something terrible did happen. That's usually the way they are. Auto racing is not normal every day activity such as walking to the bus stop. You're a racing person and so am I but the majority of the people out there are just not going to consider driving a racecar the same as competing in school athletic sports, and trust me I'd feel much safer in my racecar than on a football field. My comment was really only if something happened. You can just imagine the headlines if something did happen. Once it becomes common to see younger kids driving it will change.

attituderacing
09-16-2009, 12:02 PM
They are only allowing 14 and 15 year olds in certain classes. No modifieds.

W. J.
09-16-2009, 12:56 PM
They are only allowing 14 and 15 year olds in certain classes. No modifieds.Correct. When it was announced at Riverhead, they said Chargers, BB, Super Pro Trucks, NO Late Models, NO Modifieds.

SuperShafts
09-16-2009, 06:09 PM
You're a racing person and so am I but the majority of the people out there are just not going to consider driving a racecar the same as competing in school athletic sports, . My comment was really only if something happened. You can just imagine the headlines if something did happen. Once it becomes common to see younger kids driving it will change.

There are high schools that have and do participate in the sport of racing...

This i agree with, because to be involved you need to work on the car, maintain particular grades and work as a team.

However i believe they should all be in karts before seeing anything else.

Now here is the other problem i see..... mainly at our home track...

You are putting your kid in a car at RR where many of the competitors can't ever seem to get there act right, and pick on particular drivers because of age and even sex... the majority doesn't even race the car...instead they race the personality...
That is all bad behavior, do you want your young and impressionable kid to pick up? Yeah start them young....be careful where and how

Let them race karts. the cars aren't going to make them any better because they got in one earlier.