PDA

View Full Version : So I ask you....

hollywoodmic
09-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Tonight I had the pleasure of spending some time with 5 Time Riverhead Raceway Modified Champion Don Howe and I ask you...... Who are the top 5 LI Modified drivers of our modern time???

1. Charlie Jarzombek
2. Don Howe
3. Mike Ewantisko
4.Wayne Anderson
5. Fred Harbach

Honorable mention to, Bill Park, John Fortin, Chuck Steuer, Tom McCann, Tom Baldwin, JR Bertuccio, Ed Brunnhoelzl Jr., Dan Jivanelli.

These are the guys I grew up watching, I wonder who is in your top 5 ??

W. J.
09-06-2009, 12:30 AM
That's my top 5, too. All great choices, I wouldn't change a thing.

RACENUT
09-06-2009, 12:34 AM
great choice, you cant argue with that top 5. but there ia always someone who wouldnt agree.

Jaws
09-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Tonight I had the pleasure of spending some time with 5 Time Riverhead Raceway Modified Champion Don Howe and I ask you...... Who are the top 5 LI Modified drivers of our modern time???

1. Charlie Jarzombek
2. Don Howe
3. Mike Ewantisko
4.Wayne Anderson
5. Fred Harbach

Honorable mention to, Bill Park, John Fortin, Chuck Steuer, Tom McCann, Tom Baldwin, JR Bertuccio, Ed Brunnhoelzl Jr., Dan Jivanelli.

These are the guys I grew up watching, I wonder who is in your top 5 ??

Perfect top 5!

Teds Race Tours
09-06-2009, 01:10 AM
1. Charlie Jarzombek
2a. Don Howe
2b. Mike Ewanitsko

Head and Shoulders above the rest.

4. Greg Sacks
5. Tom McCann
6. Fred Harbach
7. Wayne Anderson
8. Bill Park
9. George Brunnhoelzl Jr
10. Donny Lia

Like a can of Pringles, I couldn't stop at just 5.

Honorable mentions. Chuckie, J.R., TB, Jivanelli, Joe Kurkowski, Steve Park, EB Jr, Frank Vigs, John Fortin,

Spending time with Don Howe is always a pleasure.

310fig8
09-06-2009, 08:38 AM
If you are saying top 5 Long Island drivers of all time, I can't believe no one has mentioned Jim Hendrickson in the X3 at all, even in honorable mention!!!! And how about Al " The Count Of Monte Cristo" DeAngelo in the Ace Of Spades? Eddie Brunnhoelzl Sr 333 or Bruno Bracky 71.

Fat Albert
09-06-2009, 10:07 AM
If you are saying top 5 Long Island drivers of all time, I can't believe no one has mentioned Jim Hendrickson in the X3 at all, even in honorable mention!!!! And how about Al " The Count Of Monte Cristo" DeAngelo in the Ace Of Spades? Eddie Brunnhoelzl Sr 333 or Bruno Bracky 71.

Absolutely, Bill! If we're talking about the greatest L.I. drivers of all time, then there's no doubt in my mind that Al DeAngelo and Jim Hendrickson belong in the top three along with Jarzombek! As far as who is number one, ...uh...good luck with that one. How about a three way tie.
And no one gave an honorable mention to my favorite childhood hero?
How about one for the great Axel Anderson!!!!

310fig8
09-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I can't believe I left out Axel!!! Great choice there also.

DriveitinDeep
09-06-2009, 10:38 AM
what about Jim Malone, Gary Winters ??? etc. Too many good drivers to fit into a top five. You should list the Top 50 LI drivers of all time so they all get their due

Fat Albert
09-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I could probably name 200 drivers for a top 50 list...LOL!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hollywoodmic
09-07-2009, 07:41 AM
So name them I am 38 years old boys, not old like you guys, lol. That's why I said "these were drivers I grew up watching" don't be insulted or suprised at who is or isn't on my list. Give us a little history lesson, give us yours. That's what the post was about. I love the modifieds and love to see who you think was the best, opinions folks thats why I said "So I ask you...." Give me a top 5 with some honorable mention so we can all comment on it. There is no wrong answer on this one.

art11758
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I seem to see that there are no Artie Tappen references either.... :(
And I would like to add George Wagner to that list too.

Golf Guy
09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
how about a top 5 by decade?

Teds Race Tours
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
what about Jim Malone, Gary Winters ??? etc. Too many good drivers to fit into a top five. You should list the Top 50 LI drivers of all time so they all get their due

Roger. Jim Malone was considered on my list, but I only saw him at the Very End of his career, much like Hendrickson, De Angelo and a bunch of other. Its up to the Fat Alberts of the world to rate those guys as the saw them in their prime. I tried to keep as just drivers that I saw at the top of their game, but like Stephen said, there is no wrong answer on this one.

str8up
09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Best Long Island driver, my vote goes to Eddie Brunnhoelzl Sr. and here are a few facts to back it up.http://www.flyinbryan.com/himes/stories/SteadyEddieBrunnhoelzl.pdf

RGeeProductions
09-09-2009, 12:08 PM
NOTE:
Who are the top 5 LI Modified drivers of our modern time???
I agree there are many, but for 'modern time', Steve hit it on the head...

broz
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
NOTE:
Who are the top 5 LI Modified drivers of our modern time???
I agree there are many, but for 'modern time', Steve hit it on the head...

That being said.......what do we consider "modern" then?

RGeeProductions
09-09-2009, 12:26 PM
geeezus, I would say:

1. Charlie Jarzombek
2. Don Howe
3. Mike Ewantisko
4. Wayne Anderson
5. Fred Harbach

NASCAR defines the "modern era" as 1972 - on....

MSK27
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Hey how about Russ Klar?

310fig8
09-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Great artical on one of the nicest and classiest drivers ever!!!!!! Eddie Brunnhoelzl Sr.

310fig8
09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Russ Klar was a great Midget and Modified driver AKA Don Taylor.

I Miss Manzy
10-06-2009, 03:19 AM

I've read all the posts on this thread and agree with all that have been named. I can't believe no one has mentioned one of my favorites,Mousey Kempster in the 3K! But how could you pick just five?