PDA

View Full Version : Newsday

Ka$h25
09-06-2009, 02:44 AM
"It's gotten kind of old," said Walkowiak, who has won four races this season. "It's become too easy. I've been winning a lot for a consistent amount of years [nine] and I'm ready to move up."

Despicable. Way to trash your own division. That's all I really have to say on the matter. I sure hope you get your opportunity in a higher division because after those comments I imagine the 'Welcome' mat is awfully worn out.

Those who didn't see the article can find it at.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/7.663092?view=article#commentsForm-663092

W. J.
09-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Wow, an honest statement like that really ticks you off? Maybe more people should think the same way as Tommy, and move on up if they can. The last thing any racing needs is one person who wins more than 50% of the time. It's great that they can do it, but it's kind of boring for the fans of others to know the best they can hope for is second. This is not a knock on anyone, but to go off on Tommy for speaking his mind is wrong. He didn't degrade the BB division, he just told the reporter why he's been trying to sell his car and move up in racing.

Ka$h25
09-06-2009, 11:56 AM
He doesn't win any more than Turbush or Maynor. I don't see them in newsday or anywhere else for that matter talking about how much they win and how bored they are. Frankly, he's had chances in other divisions. And for a guy who talks so actively about trying to sell his car, $10,000? :lol: The man has 38 wins and if you saved payoff from each one you could hardly put a down payment on a $10,000 race car. If a blunderbust car is worth $10,000- there is something seriously wrong with the way the division is run.

And I agree with you W.J as a fan it gets very boring, but you don't like to see the driver come out and say "it's getting old" and "it's becoming too easy" how are his opponents supposed to react to that? Should they go out and make their car worth $10,000 too so they can compete? My problem isn't the that he thought it, it's that he said it.

W. J.
09-06-2009, 12:56 PM
The $10,000 includes spare parts for the car, of which there are many. How much should a Blunderbust be worth? Hard to say, but there are a few out there that would have the same asking price, or close to it, if they were for sale.
As for wins versus rate of return, even Modifieds don't return what they're worth or cost based on the current purse structure. You could win every feature in a year, and not even come close to paying for the car. Same in EVERY other division.
As for Chris Turbush and Roger Maynor, if they choose to stay in their divisions, that's fine also. Their dominance just gives others the incentive to improve their cars/setups/or driving to try and beat those dominant cars. If Tommy Walkowiak successfully sells his complete car to a capable driver, that person will also dominate the division.

LongIslandJam
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Ka$h25,

I don't see anything wrong with Tommy's quote. You're reading way too much into it. If you look at his Blunderbust record, he has made it look easy. I'm glad Tommy's realized it's time to move up. He needs a new challenge and that's the natural progression of local stock car racing - you move to the next level when you conquer everything where you're at now.

Richie25
09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
The $10,000 includes spare parts for the car, of which there are many. How much should a Blunderbust be worth? Hard to say, but there are a few out there that would have the same asking price, or close to it, if they were for sale.
As for wins versus rate of return, even Modifieds don't return what they're worth or cost based on the current purse structure. You could win every feature in a year, and not even come close to paying for the car. Same in EVERY other division.
As for Chris Turbush and Roger Maynor, if they choose to stay in their divisions, that's fine also. Their dominance just gives others the incentive to improve their cars/setups/or driving to try and beat those dominant cars. If Tommy Walkowiak successfully sells his complete car to a capable driver, that person will also dominate the division.

since the division is entry level and since there is nothing spectacular about them. a reasonable price fro them should be 3-5 grand. but 10,000 for a used but proven ENTRY level car????????? yea right. dosn't seem entry level to me if a used blunderbust car is going for $10,000. there are charger cars for sale that are less then his car lol. maby thats why not many new guys are joining the division????

i also dont see in any wrong with what he said, because hes right. he come thru the field every week and does it pretty easily with two races left his point lead is pretty huge. so yes i would agree with tommy its to easy for him.

RPMcGrellis414
09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Yea he's dominated espically beacause he can roll over scales race after race, year after year. And whenever a challenger does pop up he either takes them out or has his back pocket officials handle them. So yea when your the golden boy, can drive below the white line in a illegal car. It sure makes winning easy!:disgusted

chargerthunder
09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
comepetition is heavy now with the 08 and the 22 and 4 are awesome driver? Is the kid in the 19 gonna come back? He won 2 out of the first 4 and then left....he was pretty tough competition....seems likes a classless comment coming from somebody who moved up a division and couldnt cut the mustard once already.....

fisherman
09-06-2009, 08:10 PM
gee all you young guys with all these commentsshould relize 1 thing tommy,s won 38 times over 9 yrs so thats what an average of 4 a year alot of other drivers have wonlike an average 5 or more a year. some have moved up and some have not alot haS TO DO WITH MONEYsome have also returned to were they began.so give him a break.at least he races still.:lol::lol::lol:

chris061
09-07-2009, 12:01 AM
hey jrod... what happened i heard you made that certain somebody run in his trailer again lol. it just wouldnt be riverhead raceway if he wasnt in his trailer hiding and yealling come into my pit stall lol :lol::lol::lol::lol:

jgloor8
09-07-2009, 02:46 AM
hey j-rods's car is a proven winner and is going for a lot cheapier then 10grand..lol for sale by the way

Dave A
09-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Ka$h25,

I don't see anything wrong with Tommy's quote. You're reading way too much into it. If you look at his Blunderbust record, he has made it look easy. I'm glad Tommy's realized it's time to move up. He needs a new challenge and that's the natural progression of local stock car racing - you move to the next level when you conquer everything where you're at now.

Well said!!!!!

rydogg97
09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
why is it that any time there is a thread that is inflamitory it is ka$h that always starts it? opinions are one thing but to start crap is another. as fisherman said it takes money to move up, hes proved he can drive and win. as far as 10gs for the car thats an asking price so unless one wants to purchase car who cares what the price tag is.

BIRDNUT
09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
rumor has it if tommy cant sell the car he wont move up so what does that tell ya $10,000? guess whos going be blunderbust champion in 2010 again

nobandwagonhere
09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I thought he tried once before and said the car was junk? Wait, Tommy Rodgers won a championship in that car.....Idk.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Tommy doesnt like Competition in that class. Anytime theres a threat it becomes a war or a protest. Its been going on for years. He has calmed down on the track compared to years ago...but I do remember back some of the "real" bb drivers used to run and he wasnt the golden boy then...lol. It is what it is, but my only question is, Its easy, and hes bored....but when theres competition hes *****in and moaning!.....Dont make sense to me!
BTW....who saw that 08 JUNK pass him on the outside?....LOL...awesome!

Ka$h25
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
comepetition is heavy now with the 08 and the 22 and 4 are awesome driver? Is the kid in the 19 gonna come back? He won 2 out of the first 4 and then left....he was pretty tough competition....seems likes a classless comment coming from somebody who moved up a division and couldnt cut the mustard once already.....

The kid in the 19 bought a great car and after having some success suddenly it was no longer legal. Not that anything about the car changed, except that it started finishing ahead of the 00. So he removed what they told him to remove, came out, won, and had nothing else to prove.

why is it that any time there is a thread that is inflamitory it is ka$h that always starts it? opinions are one thing but to start crap is another. as fisherman said it takes money to move up, hes proved he can drive and win. as far as 10gs for the car thats an asking price so unless one wants to purchase car who cares what the price tag is.

Who else have I inflamed? And I didn't start crap, I'm replying to an article written. And I understand it takes money, perhaps if he didn't spend so much in a decade of entry level racing he could have moved up. And I don't care if $10K is a dream price, it's what the car is listed at, and it's ridiculous. For $10 you can probably buy the 19 and 08 who are also proven winners. With a guarantee that you won't have to change any questionable parts.

I thought he tried once before and said the car was junk? Wait, Tommy Rodgers won a championship in that car.....Idk.Tommy doesnt like Competition in that class. Anytime theres a threat it becomes a war or a protest. Its been going on for years. He has calmed down on the track compared to years ago...but I do remember back some of the "real" bb drivers used to run and he wasnt the golden boy then...lol. It is what it is, but my only question is, Its easy, and hes bored....but when theres competition hes *****in and moaning!.....Dont make sense to me!
BTW....who saw that 08 JUNK pass him on the outside?....LOL...awesome!

Exactly, I've notice a trend. Chris Busick, Rob Bader, Jarrod Hayes. The three drivers that the 00 has had problems with. Also the best competition he's had the past couple seasons.

Again, my only problem is when you're the best, you let others say you're the best. You don't go around in Newspapers saying you're bored and that winning is too easy.

Golf Guy
09-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Time out.

Listen, to all the Tommy haters, and most of the usual suspects have already chimed in on this thread, WE ALL GET. You don't like him. He is a A-hole, A Sc$m-Bag, a D!ck-head and more. Yes, we understand, his car is not worth 10 grand. You are all better than him. OK, after all the posting over the last few years- WE GET IT. My 3 year old twin boys get it.
Tommy has a cocky, abrasive attitude, like it or leave it- it is what it is.
Can we once look at a class is half full. Newsday, yes Newsday ran an article on Riverhead Raceway and the Bunderbust division. Publicity can not be bought. This is a good thing. We all should hope for more.

And to set the record straight for the 100th time. Tommy ran my Late Model for 1 race at the end of a season because I asked him to. 2 year old race tires, and a motor in need of dire repair. We had the motor completely rebuilt in the off-season before Tommy Rogers raced the car and won a championship- and we also bought a few new tires for it.

Yes Tommy is a friend of mine. See I can find the good in almost the evilest of people. The Glass doesn't have to always be half empty. And I know this is a forum to express opinions, but can SOME people have something positive to say?

W. J.
09-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Golf Guy :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: for getting the facts straight.

Ka$h : if someone started a poll about whether people here think you are stirring things up with your posts, you'd lose, big time. Just look at the most recently closed post. Like Allhialunc says, 'nuf said!

chargerthunder
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Jim, so quick to defend him...how bout being realistic? How bout tommy gives one ounce of credit to somebody other than the 22? All the hard work these top runners put it and they get trashed in a newspaper? Say what you want and say that he didn't mean it...I say your a fool if you try to find posotives in that article. Maybe tommy should be a leader of the division like he should and praise the posotive aspects of it. But why would he do something like that? Maybe he should talk to the maynors or the turbushs or even the park or oxees who lead by example...

Ka$h25
09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Golf Guy :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: for getting the facts straight.

Ka$h : if someone started a poll about whether people here think you are stirring things up with your posts, you'd lose, big time. Just look at the most recently closed post. Like Allhialunc says, 'nuf said!

I just call it how I see it, the good and the bad. You can find plenty of positive posts of mine, it's hardly my fault that the negatives get more attention. Everything Roger Oxee has done for the Late Model division has gotten my thanks, even when I advocated the decision to get rid of the division this off-season. I posted my negative opinions about allowing the 49 legend to race this season, and when he ran well I posted a congratulatory post. If Tommy ever carries his success to a higher division I'll congratulate him as well.

Ka$h25
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Time out.

Listen, to all the Tommy haters, and most of the usual suspects have already chimed in on this thread, WE ALL GET. You don't like him. He is a A-hole, A Sc$m-Bag, a D!ck-head and more. Yes, we understand, his car is not worth 10 grand. You are all better than him. OK, after all the posting over the last few years- WE GET IT. My 3 year old twin boys get it.
Tommy has a cocky, abrasive attitude, like it or leave it- it is what it is.
Can we once look at a class is half full. Newsday, yes Newsday ran an article on Riverhead Raceway and the Bl\underbust division. Publicity can not be bought. This is a good thing. We all should hope for more.

And to set the record straight for the 100th time. Tommy ran my Late Model for 1 race at the end of a season because I asked him to. 2 year old race tires, and a motor in need of dire repair. We had the motor completely rebuilt in the off-season before Tommy Rogers raced the car and won a championship- and we also bought a few new tires for it.

Yes Tommy is a friend of mine. See I can find the good in almost the evilest of people. The Glass doesn't have to always be half empty. And I know this is a forum to express opinions, but can SOME people have something positive to say?

I'm a strong believer in any press is good press. If I'm feature winner, Tom Pickerell, Jarrod Hayes, Rob Bader, DEFENDING CHAMPION Scott Malizewski, or any other driver that calls Tommy a fellow competitor, and I see this guy tell the Media and thousands of its readers that beating me is becoming too easy, I wouldn't be too happy. That article was the joke of the pit area this weekend.

Cocky is fine, arrogance is great. But I think I'd be embarrassed to publicize that I've had continued success for 9 years in Riverhead's formally "Entry-Level" division. No funds to move up, or not enough passion, that's fine. No one can be kicked out of a division. But don't brag about your continued success in a rookies divison.

And it says something about a driver, so actively trying to graduate to a higher division when his primary sponsor owns a late model, lost a driver, and he didn't get an attempt to race it? Your quick to defend him, but not so quick to give him the opportunity?

sround
09-07-2009, 02:47 PM
HAHA...... I'm on Kash's Side! Go0o0o0oo 08!!!! On the outside! No competition in the BB anymore right J-Rod??..... LOL:confused: :applause: :cheers: Can't move up a division if you can't find someone to pay $10,000 for a BB Car. Especially when you can go buy a late model for less then that!

Turbo
09-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I just dont like how the 00 drove the 08 this past week. As for what he said in the papers is showin how he is and maybe motivate the other drivers to get on their "A" games.

Golf Guy
09-07-2009, 03:24 PM
And it says something about a driver, so actively trying to graduate to a higher division when his primary sponsor owns a late model, lost a driver, and he didn't get an attempt to race it? Your quick to defend him, but not so quick to give him the opportunity?

Very good point. But the decision to have Mikey drive the car was mine because I am also a sponsor of Mike's and a friend of his. I wanted to get Mike out of 'moth balls' and I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

greggforce01
09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Kash's posts entertain me, they are blunt, honest and to the point. Keep on posting Kash, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

dynamite
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
jim my thoughts for you are mike chose to not race at rhd because of the way it was run. mike has 2 late models in his stables, and i asked him if i could run his if i bought the tires and he laughed. tom w is a star in the bb class, and here was your chance to help tommy move up to another class that at the time was running only 6 shows, get his feet wet and show his skills. as a friend who drove it as a clunker, his chance to run a most potent late model with a fresh motor and new tires for 6 shows was a great opp. that didnt come about. i think somebody was calling out to you and you were not listening, give him his opp. to show his skills that he showcases week after week. buy mike 4 tires for his car and give tommy his chance for the last 2 shows, and who knows you might have another championship in the future,(ps tommy needs to go to charm school to learn not how to create enemies by his speeches. took me 2 yrs after i moved up to late models, to win the championship, by keeping my mouth shut and useing the skills i learned all those yrs in chargers. dan turbush

fisherman
09-07-2009, 06:36 PM
gee to think if i stayed in the division all thoses years i bet i would have had about 60 t0 100 wins by now. but i chose to move up because it wasn,t that much fun winning almost at will. some people who were around me can tell you that i would let others win just to make it a little fun. money was real bad to move up but i took my lumps in the fig8s and learned. then i fianaly got some real good money from sponcors and started running up front. when i look back maybe i should have stay in a blunderbust. but fig8s were alot of fun so if i could make the same decision today i would still moved to the fig8s some of the guys were very helpful . and they are still some of the ones that get bashed on these boards today. ron:lol::lol::lol:

The Bullfather
09-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Funny, I know Charger cars cheaper then the 19! Asking price in the classifieds is $7,000, $3,000 more you get a car with 38 wins. You complain about $10,000 saying charger and late models sell cheaper, some of them are a lot less then $7,000. Do I think $10,000 for a Blunderbust car is a lot? Yes! Do I think #7,000 grand for a Blunderbust car is a lot? Yes!

I find your statement of entry level racer a bit deeming also, that label has gone to way side years and years ago! An entry level division would be an enduro. Lots of veterans run in the Blunderbust division!

Jim has every right to place who he want in his car, just like Doug Wholey placed you in his ride, Danny. It's the owners choice, he pays the bill....for the most part! I can't fault Jim for picking a proven winner in Mike Mortimer. There is more then how the track is run as too why Mike isn't run his cars!!! Let's leave that alone! Would you as an owner pick Wild Child who was sitting on the sidelines, unactive or would you pick someone who has no experience in a late model but one race?? Jim was faced with a decision, Wild Child races in a regular run division! I would have went with Mighty Mike also!!!

Jeff T
09-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I agree with you 100% Bullfather. He took a driver who was sitting behind the wheel of a tow truck and put him back behind the wheel of a race car. As far as I am concerned, Jim made the correct choice. For years, drivers have and still do have multiple rides at the track while others sit on the side lines hoping to get the opportunity to get back in the game. Jim made the choice to help a top notch driver get back in the drivers seat of his Late Model, while continuing to support a multi-time champion in another division. I see that as a win-win situation for all who are involved here.

RacinRob
09-07-2009, 09:48 PM
pete id rather you not use me as an example in this post...also keep in mind, i have been racing my car for 2 years he has raced his for 10 maybe more i also have only been racing for 3 years total enduros included he has been racing somewhere around 20 years.......poor example and I dont want any part of this....please keep my name out of this mess...i have nothing to do with it........

speed racer
09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Pete brown nosing again as usual......id rather buy the 08 and the 19 who combines have won as many races as the 00 this year.....two cars are better than one....haha i gotta laugh at you man....your bad for your own business....:disgusted:lol::lol:

bulldozer
09-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Pete i think my dads point was mighty mike has a car and isnt racing because of many reasons.He just wanted to see how good wild child was in a championship late model that Tommy Rogers kicked *** in last year thats all.Im sure alot of people wonder how good he can be in the higher divisions.Im sure he will be great but we all wonder if he will have the same success as in the blunderbust.They said the same thing about my dad in the chargers for years.Why dont you move up they all asked it was all to do with money.When he did move up 4th in points the first year and championship the next year.HE runs a hell of a blunderbust and enduro cant take that from him.But if he is having fun and winning races and doesnt have to spend a ton of money then why move up?I think with jrod hayes in the div next year with that car and couple of sponsors i think wild child and the rest of the div will have there hands full because that car is fast. Anyways its his car and if he wants 20,000 then thats ok with me im sure all of are cars are worth 10x what we sell them for. 81

KickItUp
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I know many drivers who CHOOSE and CHOSE to drive BB's as their division of choice.. So to call it a rookie's class or to call it entry level, has got to stop. And if you choose to call it as so, then why in the world is a LATE MODEL driver running it, then bragging when he beats these so called rookies and entry level drivers..

It's a DIVISION, quit labeling it. I see there are some guys CHOOSING to run grand enduro's, ya gonna start labeling those guys if they choose not to want to 'move up'???

Seems every class has someone who wins alot, so what, who cares, get over it. When it's you beating them all, you'll all suddenly change your tunes..

dynamite
09-07-2009, 11:27 PM
pete lets get the facts straight, i didn't have a late model in the garage, and yes i sold the charger and wanted to move up as is what tommy w is saying also. doug wholey decided to take the year off and asked if i wanted the ride for 2006. no experience in them. yea he took a chance on me and what happened?. tom R. no longer is driving, tommy w was saying all along that he is ready to move up, he drove the car once, what a match, thats all i was saying, your right, jim has the right to put anybody he wants in the car. to jeff, i didn't know mike sold his cars, thats what your column seems to say sorry???? mike has a great car and he is a really good dr, mike if your listening, again asking if i can dr your car for the last race, will put tires on and gas, and its time trails?

The Bullfather
09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Rob, I used your car as an example, people can ask whatever price they like, it's there property and they have every right too! May they get what they are asking for? Who knows, maybe someone will value the car the same too.

I see no brown nosing, only person I defended was Jim in his choice in picking a driver for his late model. I would have picked Mighty Mike also to wheel my machine.

As far as guest on my site, There are drivers who don't want to sit in front of the camera, got to remember chemistry is a key in entertainment, some will love it and some might hate it. Can't please the world all the time. My next three weeks are guest who have never done bench racing. There's a lot more to it then you know...time (theirs and mine). So please next time Rocco, come and introduce yourself and I might help you understand that there is no brown nosing and more to it then you might not know, we can talk.:)

Chris I was just responding to your pops on why I would have want the decision Jim went with. It's all good bro!

LongIslandJam
09-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Woah, time out folks. This has gotten into a finger pointing contest rather than what this should be about - some great coverage from the folks at Newsday.

Tommy has the right to express his opinion. Many people claim that today's Sprint Cup drivers are too "vanilla." Well, thankfully at Riverhead we still have personality left in the joint.

Quick summary: Love him or hate him, Tommy's accomplished a lot. Whether you win with a $10,000 blunderbust or a $3,500 one is your choice, but the option is there if you know what you're doing.