PDA

View Full Version : Car Counts: Looking Back

Axel
09-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow-- how things have changed. They had 38 qualifying for Loudon this week, but look how it compares to some big races in the past... I know you really cant compare the two-- times are different, but I thought it was a pretty interesting perspective...

From Phil Smith's Looking Back column (which I love incidentally)

Thirty years ago in 1979, the annual Thompson 300 was on tap and drew 146 modifieds. Geoff Bodine in the Richard Armstrong No.1 led four times including the last 96 laps to win the longest event on the schedule for the modifieds. Maynard Troyer finished second and was followed by Leo Cleary who came all the way from a 37th starting spot. John Rosati finished fourth and was followed by George Kent, Gomer Taylor, Wayne Anderson, Bugsy Stevens and Brett Bodine. Rusty Ball won the non-qualifiers race. The event drew 10,500 spectators. Richie Evans who won the night before at Shangri-La was in the hunt at Thompson until losing an engine and ended up 24th.

Twenty-five years ago in 1984, Brian Ross took the lead on lap 192 of the 250 lap Pocono Race of Champions and went on to take the biggest win of his career. Brett Bodine finished second and was followed by Corky Cookman, George Brunnhoelzl, Mike McLaughlin and George Kent. The event drew 109 modifieds and 130 Street Stocks.

Jaws
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
I believe there are several reasons.

1. 20+ tracks featured full blown modified cars in the northeast alone.
2. There was 1 class of modifieds.
3. They were much less exspensive to run.
4. The year end races were special races with big purses.

W. J.
09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Exactly correct on all four points, Jaws.

night gent
09-18-2009, 12:43 PM
I think it's the same with alot of the weekly shows at many short tracks. The car counts seem to be down at quite a few. It's a shame that these guys have to race for such low purses. This economy is hurting sports in general. It is not only competitors but fans as well. I was reading where there are 3 or 4 N.F.L teams that will be blacked out because of non sellouts.

Jaws
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it's the same with alot of the weekly shows at many short tracks. The car counts seem to be down at quite a few. It's a shame that these guys have to race for such low purses. This economy is hurting sports in general. It is not only competitors but fans as well. I was reading where there are 3 or 4 N.F.L teams that will be blacked out because of non sellouts.

Its not the low purses, if you are in this for the money, you are in it for the wrong reason. If you want to make a million dollars in racing start with 2.

I believe the costs of racing is inflated by many things.

Sat night racers spending $50,000.00 for a trailer, all store bought race cars and parts, big dollar motors in Street Stocks and such classes, track tires that elimate competition (driving up cost), 3 days to be at a track like Bristol or Loudon for a 100 lap race. 1 state wirth 3 tracks having 3 sets of rules for the same class. How about teams spending thousands of dollars for traction control or buying soaking fluids for tires for a race that pays $1,200.00. It makes no sense.

Changing rules from year to year, only costs teams money.

I know we pine for the old days but they are gone. Racing is exspensive but even in these tough times there are still a lot of cars at a lot of tracks (not all), we just need to learn better how to keep the counts up, costs down and keep new fans coming out to the local tracks.

night gent
09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Jaws you make alot of good points, I may be wrong but i feel that there is too much of a disparity between dirt and asphalt purses. I dont have exact figures but i've been told by some competitors that the dirt tracks generally pay alot better. Nothing against dirt racing, I usually attend a few races a year at o.c.s and lebanon valley but my preference is asphalt!