PDA

View Full Version : The Wrong Way Is The Right Stuff At Tuesday Test For The TVMRS At Lime Rock Park

ShawnCourchesne
09-29-2009, 10:47 PM
The Wrong Way Is The Right Stuff At Tuesday Test For The True Value Modified Racing Series At Lime Rock Park ( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/)

Howie
09-29-2009, 10:59 PM
There are a bunch of photos from the test Here.

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=1487

Axel
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I know road course are verbotten in most modified circles, but I like the idea. It's unique, a little gimmiky maybe (I mean that in a good way) and get's people outta their comfort zone.

Haveing said that, a bunch of people used to circle tracks could = mayhem on a road course.

But I would check it out to see how it went. Plus Limerock is only 2.5 hrs from NJ.

worm
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
there is a road coarse in nj

Precision Auto
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
there is a road coarse in nj

Wouldn't that be called "The New Jersey Turnpike!" :lol: Sorry Axel...LOL

Axel
09-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't that be called "The New Jersey Turnpike!" Sorry Axel...LOL yeah yeah yeah... what exit are you on? :disgusted :) ;)

there is a road coarse in nj yeah, but they are not practicing TVMRS cars on it! That's also 2.5 hours in "Sweet Home NJ."

catfish
09-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Most of that more resembles a parking lot than a race course,lol

mattphoto
09-30-2009, 08:09 PM
I saw the video of the test on you tube and it was awesome to watch. I really hope that there is a modified race there next season. I would be so excited if there was. Great photos Howie

ModTourMan
09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I know road course are verbotten in most modified circles, but I like the idea...

Nay for me on the road course idea - it's been tried before, but love your use of "verboten"!
The parking-lot gags from everyone are well deserved here in Jersey!

Axel
09-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Russ, die Youtube-Verbindung kann hier gefunden werden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iQkDqKpIs

ModTourMan
10-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Russ, die Youtube-Verbindung kann hier gefunden werden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7iQkDqKpIs

I'll admit that it looks gefunden but it's still a road course.

Goldy
10-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Here’s one from the Goldy archives:

It would appear Modifieds have been trying to go the other way at Lime Rock since the golden age, as evidenced by Ed Flemke Sr. in 1973.

I only have the clipping – so I don’t not have the story behind what I believe was a one time outing on the road course. If any mod historian types – member or lurker (you know who you are), perhaps someone close to this Lime Rock practice back in the day has any background to this picture, I’d love to hear it..

I'll link it since I can't seem to figure out how to embed the photo..

Old School Mod at LRP Photo (http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=135966&size=big&cat=500)

limodmaniac
10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Though I would never deny the modifieds a new race track, I only hope there's a good show somewhere else on the same day because I'd go elsewhere. I say no to the road course.

BigMac
10-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Steve in NC
10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Modifieds are made to do 2 things go fast and turn left. Short-tracks and up to a mile in length are their specialty that produces close side by side racing. That is what modified racing is all about.

We don't need to "experiment" with LRP to find out "if" a modified race will be good on a road course. We only need to look back at the Watkins Glen races or the real old road course races in Daytona years ago to know that a modified racing on a road course is boring and NOT playing into the hand of what makes modifieds exciting to watch. I really have never seen an exciting road course race in any division(my opinion). Passing is done by out braking your opponent going into the turn. You get the inside groove and the guy on the outside has to back off or he will wreck because of the width and design of the track. Faster cars start on the pole and you have a runaway "race". You get 3 secs of excitment and its over until the next guy out-brakes someone else going into some other corner 5 mins later and its over in 3 secs again.

You have only up'd the expenses of the car owners and lowered the excitement for the fans of side by side racing on a shorttrack by going to a road course. There are enough shortracks around the eastern seaboard that need help would do well to race modifieds without going to road courses.

If LRP was located near where i live i would not be attending. The same as I don't attended BGS... because that track goes so far in the opposite direction that its not for modifieds either and I don't believe they put on a good show there. It's more of a WWE atmosphere that creates the so-called 15,000 fans excitement and I don't attend for that reason. I know I'm not in the majority on the BGS subject and I my not be in the majority for road courses but that is my opinion.

1/3 to 3/4 mile tracks with heats and consi's with shorter feature laps and no TV and you will be successful. The fans will pay to see it, big enough purse to draw in the drivers and it will take off. i.e. the Shootout. TV might be a short term fix for the tour... but TV is a double edge sword in the long run. The Cup/Busch/Trucks are living examples of that. You will never see heats/consi's and you will always be held to TV time standards and not what is best for the fans. And the rules will be written for TV racing and not a good old fashion 50 lapper on Saturday night between Cook and Evans.

And we all know it didn't get any better than that! So why is everyone looking in a different direction for success when its been drawn out in front of us for years?

Steve

skbob
10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
how come nobody remembers when the Tour used to run Watkins Glen for a number if years?

ModTourMan
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
how come nobody remembers when the Tour used to run Watkins Glen for a number if years?

I remember...I was not a fan. I believe ESPN showed at least one race live. It was a shame because the TV coverage, while nice, did not showcase this division in my opinion.

Steve in NC
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
We don't need to "experiment" with LRP to find out "if" a modified race will be good on a road course. We only need to look back at the Watkins Glen races or the real old road course races in Daytona years ago to know that a modified racing on a road course is boring and NOT playing into the hand of what makes modifieds exciting to watch.

Steve

we didn't forget!

WhelanModFan
10-20-2009, 01:01 PM
Good video. I'm not a big fan of this either. I've been to Limerock and I don't think it is well suited for mods. I can see very little passing and very many cautions.

I do see that NASCAR is running a Camping World Series race again at Limerock in 2010. If they decide to run a WMT show there I guess they could piggyback it on to this race.

WhelanModFan
10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Road courses are fun for the drivers. As proven by the test session video, the fans would come up short, since they would not be able to see all of the action without running around to different locations in the infield. It might be fun to watch on TV, where they provide many camera shots to follow the action, but if you are at the race, it's, "Here they come, there they go, hey, where's my favorite driver?", not a good way to enjoy the race.
I agree with the opinion of adding another date at another oval track, any track, before a road course race gets added to any touring divisions schedule. J/M/O

That was pretty much how my experience at Limerock went. In order to see ANY of the track you need to be high up on the hill in the middle of the place. Even then your views are limited.

It's a nice place to be. You can pretty much bring anything in that you want. Large family style coolers, charcoal grills etc. in fact the guys next to us were cooking steaks. You can bring a blanket and sprawl it out and make yourself comfortable. But if your looking for a line of sight to see everything, forget it.

Racerjoe
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
The Lime Rock deal for the TVMRS is pretty much beating a dead horse, (wont happen).. Sorry heard from a very reliable sorce.