PDA

View Full Version : October 25th, 2009

Teds Race Tours
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, we had 30 WMT Mods Racing, and 13 WSMT Mods. 26 cars at Lee, and about another 27 at Wall. Thats 96 Full Blown Mods(and 96 different drivers) in competition in the same day.I can think of about 10 RIVERHEAD drivers, some upstate drivers, and Southern Mod Drivers also that were not racing anywhere as well. What a great thing it would be to get the majority of the 120+ Mods competing in the same event at the same track at the same time. I'm not talking about a Modified Madness type event where everybody runs separate features. I am talking about my yearly request for someone to have an honest to goodness old School, Race of Champions type event, where anybody and everybody who races a modified has a car in the field. The greatest events I have ever seen were the 1982-1991 ROC's at Pocono. Can we please get an event of this stature back on the schedule for 2010. WHAT A TRULY GREAT MODIFIED EVENT THAT WOULD BE.

Jaws
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, we had 30 WMT Mods Racing, and 13 WSMT Mods. 26 cars at Lee, and about another 27 at Wall. Thats 96 Full Blown Mods(and 96 different drivers) in competition in the same day.I can think of about 10 RIVERHEAD drivers, some upstate drivers, and Southern Mod Drivers also that were not racing anywhere as well. What a great thing it would be to get the majority of the 120+ Mods competing in the same event at the same track at the same time. I'm not talking about a Modified Madness type event where everybody runs separate features. I am talking about my yearly request for someone to have an honest to goodness old School, Race of Champions type event, where anybody and everybody who races a modified has a car in the field. The greatest events I have ever seen were the 1982-1991 ROC's at Pocono. Can we please get an event of this stature back on the schedule for 2010. WHAT A TRULY GREAT MODIFIED EVENT THAT WOULD BE.

The catch is where and when?

Neutral track
Flemington Gone
Nazareth Gone
NH too big
Pocono Gone
Stafford Thompson- Maybe but not because of Nascar
Oswego Has not made it work yet.
Maybe when the 3/4 mile track is finished in a couple of years in NJ?
Southern Teams don't go North and unless its a Nascar event Bristol/Martinsville North teams don't go South

worm
10-26-2009, 04:53 PM
1981-1991 they where the years

The Bullfather
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
wreckfest!

ROC was a different monster at Pocono, they had tons of room to move around, even with the inner track they had room. Todays drivers and the quality of car which are all a like underneath the body, it's a lot tougher to pull it off having that many cars on the track. The cars are more equal which just make for more impatience drivers.

Chris
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Dover ???:confused::confused:

Teds Race Tours
10-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Not sure Dover would be a good spot for such a race. The race I am talking about would be a track where back yard and low budget teams could be competetive with the bigger budget teams. I feel Dover would not accomplish this.

Axel
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
a little too far north, but how abt Seekonk?

Or maybe put Jennerstown Speedway where Flemington is. Or move Concord Motorports Park to Flemington. Or may just reopn the 3/4 miler at Pocono.

Nazareth woulda been a logical location.

KickinAsphalt
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
My Ideas...

Rebuild the inner oval at pocono ...

or (even better)

Knock down a Wal-Mart (or rollercoaster perhaps)
somewheres in the NY/NJ/PA/MD area and build ourselves a nice state of the art 5/8, 3/4 , or 7/8 miler

OK.. Last hope
PRAY that the 3/4 mile tri-oval in Millville NJ does get built and lobby the hell out of it to make for a sweet late season event with starting grids of 50 mods again.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/Hotkeyfann/Misc/NJMPProposedLayout.png

RGeeProductions
10-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Nazareth woulda been a logical location.
Man, I LOVED that place.....

LiquidBread
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
O.s.w.e.g.o.

Axel
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
yeah, it was goofy asphalt track. I honestly never saw a very good race there on asphalt, but it was still cool.

I remberb the dirt and went there as a kid on a few Sunday nites. Early to mid 70's.

Anyway, it would be a good location.

Teds Race Tours
10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah, it was goofy asphalt track. I honestly never saw a very good race there on asphalt, but it was still cool.

I remberb the dirt and went there as a kid on a few Sunday nites. Early to mid 70's.

Anyway, it would be a good location.

http://www.modseriesscene.com/archives/99/jfnaz100.html was one of the best races I've ever seen. Must have been 99 degrees that day.

O.s.w.e.g.o.

THE ROC race is at Oswego now, and can't pull a full field.

BigMac
10-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Seekonk would work for me. You need a smaller track where handling means more than motor($$$). However, we live in a points world. How many of those 120 teams would show up if there were no points on the line. Most of the WMT wouldn't. A few would show with other teams but thats about it. All of these open shows today seem to average about 30 cars. Sadly, I think the days of 100 or so cars are long gone. Even if its a good idea on paper

RGeeProductions
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM

B.I.N.G.O.
The field number is a disgrace for a Race Of Champions race!!!!

Teds Race Tours
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Seekonk would work for me. You need a smaller track where handling means more than motor($$$). However, we live in a points world. How many of those 120 teams would show up if there were no points on the line. Most of the WMT wouldn't. A few would show with other teams but thats about it. All of these open shows today seem to average about 30 cars. Sadly, I think the days of 100 or so cars are long gone. Even if its a good idea on paper

I agree that 100 or so car events MAY be gone for now, but i won't give up on 60-70 car fields. There just aren't as many modifieds running weekly as there were 20 years ago. But, if a race has an attractive purse, BOTH near the top AND the bottom of the payoff sheet, i believe it is still possible for a large scale Race Of Champions type event.

art11758
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Funny this track was mentioned. The only time I was there, was the last time the WMT ran there. Nice n' wide, I saw some "out of towners", and it is relatively easy to get to. And it was deemed "extra". Hmmpfh!
Jennerstown is a nice facility too.
My "big question"... Who would promote such a race? Given the fact that if it paid 2K to start and started 40 plus cars that would be a mighty big purse.
But if the fans came (figure there are 10,000 of us) and paid 10.00 to get in.... and everyone bought a soda....
*sigh* nice dreams

LiquidBread
10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.modseriesscene.com/archives/99/jfnaz100.html was one of the best races I've ever seen. Must have been 99 degrees that day.

Agreed. But is it because of the facility, or is it due to the series' conflicts and purse? It's an historic event and venue that needs to be promoted better IMHO.

Teds Race Tours
10-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Agreed. But is it because of the facility, or is it due to the series' conflicts and purse? It's an historic event and venue that needs to be promoted better IMHO.

Its a fine race, but its not A RACE OF CHAMPIONS. The ROC has been at Oswego since 1996, so there have been 14 of them at Oswego. I believe the 10,000 to win is where it was in 1996. I'm not sure anybody would consider this the must win race of the year that it used to be.

I know there is an interest in this. I remember the monster crowds at Pocono. Those people will come if an event of this kind is run.

uticamike
10-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Ted true enough. This past year the ROC was sad excuse for what this former
great race was. The N/S Shootout might be as close as we'll ever see to match the ROC. No matter what the venue, a super giant purse with guaranteed starting cash and NO conflict with the WMT would be imperative.
Look at this race at Wall last Sunday. A great purse (by 2009 standards) but against the World Series they got only 27 cars and most were NJ "locals".
I only hope to live long enough to see 60 cars in the pits for a big time Modified race again.

Fkraft99
10-29-2009, 12:47 AM
hey ted, take a year or 2 to come up with a format and maybe we can have it at Calverton Motor Speedway. ;)

art11758
10-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I like that thought Freddie :)