PDA

View Full Version : 2009 WSMT season -Thoughts , comments, questions?

TJ1976
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
On the downside - :disgusted

- Low car counts
- Lack of support from NASCAR
- Too long of a summer break

On the upside - :cheers:

- Being part of the inaugural race at Bristol
- Getting to meet some of the people on here in person
- Having the chance to work with the #44 team
- Going to tracks I've never been to before (Bristol, Myrtle Beach, Lanier, Ace)

cme20
10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I think the biggest positive this year was the tracks the tour went to compared to years passed. However, at the same time I bring people who you would never expect to see at a modified race to hopefully gain an interest in the cars, and also to potentially become a contingent or car sponsor and I get the same questions from all of them. I would like to hear some of your opnions.

- How is sponsoring one of these cars going to get me a better Return on investment than spending $20k a year advertising at movie theatres in a concentrated area where I know my demographic?

- I talk to people that spend over $10k a year on sponsoring a front running car at Bowman Gray and see no additional business from it why would I spend money sponsoring a car out at Caraway or tracks outside of my target market?

- I cannot even tell who sponsors other cars if I put my business on a car how is that going to get me anywhere.

mends
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
i think you have to look at sponsorship as part of your total marketing strategy...

there is no one solution to marketing problems... different strategies work for different companies, in different environments, in different seasons, in different locations, etc...

i think motorsports sponsorship should speak to your clientele...

selling curling irons by motorsports marketing may not be an effective tool
whereas, restaurant advertising and tire shops would fit in with the demographic you are advertising too...

motorsports is definitely more fine tuned to your demographic... television, radio, movie theatre ads, etc.... reaches a hugely broad spectrum of ages, interests, etc.

my sponsor is a law firm: they sponsor boxing matches and mma fights...
and they do some tv and a lot of direct marketing... being with me is just a branch of the entertainment industry that they like to advertise to...

if a sponsor is just one of the little sponsors on someone's car, it may not be effective for them because they become lost... but if they spend more money for exclusivity, then i think the extra money spent is worth more

sponsors forget that they can't track "impressions"... the more you see someone's name, subliminally you remember it... so even though they don't see their phones ringing any more because of a sponsorship, doesn't mean that it's not working...