PDA

View Full Version : Flea Market

Tower Man
11-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I have to say the 2009 version of the Riverhead Raceway Flea Market was a bust. Hat's off to Bob Finan for trying.

Don't blame the weather. I remember freezing my butt off years ago in a packed pit area eating Bob O'Rourke's famous chili.

MSK27
11-02-2009, 10:23 AM
It was raining in the AM where I was.I thought the whole thing was cancelled until I spoke with someone at 12:00 who sayed they were at the track.

rrealto
11-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Thats because it was run by Bob O'rourke.

Troyer driver
11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I looked at the River Head Raceway web page on sunday to see if there was in fact a Flea Market but to my suprise (LOL) there was NOTHING.
Another blunder (or Bust) on the part of the people that bring you the best 1 ring circus in town.
P/S if you are looking for a swap meet take a lesson from the pro's www.thompsonspeedway.com (and yes there is info on there web page)
See you there +++

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :p :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fastfrank88
11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I want to thank Bob Finan for resurecting the flea market I made money and I bought some needed items, thanks Bob I'll be there next year.
frank scimeca

The Bullfather
11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Bob did write about on "Eye on Riverhead" http://www.riverheadraceway.com/rreye.html

nos2424
11-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Bob O'Rourke was a Racer's God and many of us were glad to help him with his endeavors. Bob Finan does favors for all of us all of the time. The Flea market is for us and maybe it could be much bigger and better if more of us gave him some help doing this. Think about it for next year.
Shirley Densieski

rrealto
11-03-2009, 07:04 AM
It seemed as if after Bob O'Rourke left us the flea market slowly went down hill.
Didn't seem like much effort was put into it. The end result was low turn out and lack of interest. Sound familiar?
Other areas have success with these markets. As someone else mentioned, look at Thompson.
Maybe a little more than a last minute mention in the Eye was needed. Its a shame.

fastgal
11-03-2009, 03:25 PM
at least a couple folks give credit to bob finan trying to do a posotive thing. he will do anything within his powers to help the racers. good pr, go to bat with sponsers ect. it's good to hear some stuff was sold which is the point of it. what do you want to do to make more people show up? the racers knew about it. maybe put a gun to peoples heads? be for real. they offer us a place to do a meet and if people dont come they have no one to blame but themselves

MSK27
11-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm sure the weather was a factor as it was raining in AM and the weather looked threatning on the weather channel.I looked on the jam and on RR.s website and there was no posting either way.If they sayed it was still on I for one would have been there.Might be a consideration for the future.I hope there will be more swap meets in the future.

Hollywood
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Please don't let this turn into a beating of Bob F. The weather was iffy at best.
When I owned a MOD he was MORE then happy to come over every week and ask what or how he could help us...BOB is a racers racer! He is an all out Great guy, always ready to help. He also went out of his way last weekend to say hello to me and ask what we were up to. I hope he enjoyed the kart racing... Keep up the good work.
JMHO
Harold Wilson
#12 Sr. champ animal/raptor.

Golf Guy
11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Please don't let this turn into a beating of Bob F. The weather was iffy at best.
When I owned a MOD he was MORE then happy to come over every week and ask what or how he could help us...BOB is a racers racer! He is an all out Great guy, always ready to help. He also went out of his way last weekend to say hello to me and ask what we were up to. I hope he enjoyed the kart racing... Keep up the good work.
JMHO
Harold Wilson
#12 Sr. champ animal/raptor.

Oh but don't you know. Most people here only get satisfaction from criticizing everything Riverhead. When it actually comes to trying to make things better you will never hear from them. And I am sure that one day when everything Riverhead ends, they will be the first to come on here and say I told you so.
But I agree with you, Bob Finan is everything a racer could want. Thanks for your efforts Bob; some of us do appreciate it.

RacinRob
11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
So funny, last year everyone was complaining there was no swap meet and this year they have one....damned if you do damn if you don't!

btgoss
11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I have not been visiting this site as much since the end of the season, and to be honest I have never found the track website to be useful.

(Not trying to bash them, but they don't even list ticket prices.)

But, was this event promoted anywhere? I don't recall seeing any mention of it here, but I admit to not checking that much.

I love when people speak in loving nostalgic terms of Big Bob O'Rouke. I remember him being a very opinionated and bossy person. It was his way or the highway. And the show was all the better for it. He was practically a dictator. But since he was very competent, and truly loved racing, it always seemed to work.

Do you honestly think someone like that could come along now? Do you really think that type of behavior would be met with anything but criticism? I hope Tooker does well, and I hope he really runs the show well, but he faces no small challenge.

tstiles
11-04-2009, 10:22 AM
lets Talk about somthing important and huge like !!! Rob we gonna be on tv every week next year bro. im gonna " LAY IT DOWN "out their on TV " Oh shizizzal NUKKAh !".. ITS ON ... WAY TO GO RIVERHEAD FOR PUTTING ME ON TV ALL YEAR NEXT YEAR!! I gotta get me some fios.... Riverhead is going main stream and we are talking about yard sales.... lol... i cant even beleave it.
So funny, last year everyone was complaining there was no swap meet and this year they have one....damned if you do damn if you don't!

catfish
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Dam, as time goes by how peoples opinion change

dynamite
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
to bad it was a last second deal, as i too dont think that everybody in the racing world knew about it. hopefully next year it will be mentioned toward the end of the season at the track, and maybe a flyer on the last night of racing handed out to all that come into the pits. thanks bob for caring, and i think maybe that you should come up with something for the event as the new bob is in the house. thanks dan turbush: (did make some money too)

WEEZER
11-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Was anybody selling Shhizzizall kazzubob at the swap meet, cuz if that pumps you up like the 41 BB I want some!!!! Positive energy rocks!!!!!
F8ck the Haters!!!!!!!

RGeeProductions
11-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Not really sure what the problem is here. This was on Long Island Jam's front page October 12!!!! That's short notice????
http://www.longislandjam.com/news/2009/newsmain/news101209a.htm

fastgal
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
short notice ....... no.. but perhaps short term memory loss

dynamite
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
short term memory in that the track closed in sept and that i really don't think drs and crew members and probably over hallf of didn't know. they don't waste there time on the jam reading junk mail.

btgoss
11-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I think that is the point. The amount of promotion that an off season event needs is far greater then something during the season.

It is a shame Google removed the option for public calendars from their calendar program. This is the type of thing, and Marty Himes various events, that would benefit from a nice public calendar.