PDA

View Full Version : Next years car

Poppop
11-12-2009, 05:27 AM
I picked up my new car for next year on Sunday and I have a problem with the Passlock system. Seems the guy lost the spare key and the one that's left doesn't have the part on it that lets the car run. It starts but turns off after about ten seconds or so. Does anybody know an easy way to bypass the system? It's a 98 Cavalier.:confused:

EnduroFromDE
11-12-2009, 08:59 AM
It has nothing to do with the key, its not a coded or VATS key. I had the same problem. Do you have an instrument cluster in it??? you need one in these cars, the Passlock system is built in the Cluster. If you dont have one, put one back in it, and re-program it to the car, turn the key to the on posistion until the light on the cluster turns off and then turn the key back off. turn the key back to the on pos. and keep it there for 10-15 mins until the sucerity lights goes out. Then u should be good...

Poppop
11-12-2009, 09:04 AM
:)Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. Do you have any idea what caused the problem in the first place? I'd hate to have to do that at the track and miss the line up.:lol:"Hold everything, We have to wait for Poppop" :lol:

EnduroFromDE
11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I took mine off to clean it and my dad droped it and broke the clip that holds the wiring harness in so I had to get a new one and when I plugged it in it did the same thing, it started up ran for 3-5 seconds and shut off. You might want to check your fuel pump too, Those cavaliers had an issue with the ground wire burning up, which also happened on my car too...it does the same thing, runs for a few seconds until the fuel runs out...

Poppop
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Mine was in a minor wreck and when the air bags went off, the dash cover broke in half. The owner then tried to take it apart and fix it himself which was a big mistake. It's not a pretty sight.:lol: I plan to get it all working before I start making it into an enduro car.

NJ Chick
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
:)Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try. Do you have any idea what caused the problem in the first place? I'd hate to have to do that at the track and miss the line up.:lol:"Hold everything, We have to wait for Poppop" :lol:

Don't you worry Poppop, we will always wait for you!!! :) (I have to be careful when I write your name, the first try came out Poopop! :lol:)

Erin C
11-12-2009, 03:14 PM
(I have to be careful when I write your name, the first try came out Poopop! :lol:)

HAHAHA!! I can't stop laughing! :lol:

Poppop
11-12-2009, 04:25 PM
:lol:I do that myself some times too.:lol:

richardpetey
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
If I was you Poppop, I'd get a wiring diagram for your make, model, year Cavalier and find the best way to rewire your system around any fail-safes that control your engine management computer...............:rolleyes:
You might also want to install a switch that bypasses the ECM to control your fuel pump relay manually.................;)
UNCLE PETEY....................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Poppop
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I think I pulled out about a pound of hair on the other cars wiring but your right, I should try to bypass everything I realey need. I'll get it working normally first and then do one thing at a time. I got it to run today so now I have a bunch of broken suspension and leaks to fix. You know; the easy stuff.:lol: I havbe all winter to loose the rest of my hair.:cheers: