PDA

View Full Version : North Wilksboro

scott
11-14-2009, 01:21 PM
NASCAR. com has an article about Speedway Associates going to have ASA Late models there next year.
Another combined race with WSMT would be cool and have it televised. Anyone from VS or Speed viewing? The WMT guys don't have much going on in late Aug or begining of Sept. I havn't viewed the Southern schedule yet to see what they have for open dates.

BigMac
11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
There has been some chatter about going there. However, August would be a terrible time to go there. The tour has 3 races in 12 days as it is in Aug. One being in Bristol. Why would they ever want to go all the way back down there a week or two later?

corey17
11-15-2009, 09:45 AM
No ******* sanctioning there, not gonna happen.

Gary66
11-15-2009, 10:48 AM
I'll believe there will be organized, sanctioned racing at Wilkesboro when I see it. Just because two series have 'signed" doesn't mean a thing.
The group behind this are leasing, not buying, and I have a hard time believing anyone who is leasing will spend the money needed to bring the place up to par. I'm not talking about the racing surface or the walls.
I'm talking about the place has no working restrooms and the Wilkes County Health Dept. has long since said the concession stands cannot be used.
I have also seen some ridiculous numbers thrown around by this group on expected attendance. If they think 15,000 people are going to go to Wilkesboro for a USAR Pro Cup race, they are out of touch with reality.
And all the comparisons to what Andy Hillenburg has done with Rockingham need to stop. First of all, Andy had the money (thru what was First Charter Bank at the time) to BUY Rockingham outright.
Second, Andy does not depend on having a big gate for the few races held down there for his overall survival. His driving schools and testing runs all year, anything he makes off the ARCA or other races is just extra.
Until someone actually gives Bruton Smith the 12 million dollars he wants for the property, and has another 2 million to re-build the place, it's never going to be anything but what it is, an old run down race track.
And Corey is right, there will be no Nascar sanctioned races there.
IF there is ever a modified race up there again, it will be a stand alone event.

BigMac
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
No ******* sanctioning there, not gonna happen.

Neither is Limerock. The East Series has beening running Adirondack for many years which is not sanctioned. The sanction isn't a deal breaker.

km74nc
11-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Neither is Limerock. The East Series has beening running Adirondack for many years which is not sanctioned. The sanction isn't a deal breaker.

The East Series has a race scheduled at Gresham Motorsports Park for 2010. It's not a NASCAR sanctioned track. Can't recall a recent NASCAR modified event at a non-sanctioned track.

RGeeProductions
11-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Was Wall NASCAR in 2007?

gmac19
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
wall was nascar up until they closed i am almost 100 percent on this one ..and jim let the nascar name go because it cost way too much