PDA

View Full Version : Dropped...no interest

SuperShafts
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
You might also have noticed that Spectator Drags have been dropped for 2010 as interest in both those events waned over the last few seasons.

Maybe the roll over stuff has no interest, which is understandable, but spec drags had many 1st timers out this year.... I recall being disappointed with many many cancellations of the spec drag schedule last year...

Then the last race of the year...Godforbid....had someone spent so much as 15 seconds on the Riverhead raceway site stating that this saturday only....Spec drags are out 1st instead of 3rd or 4th or 5th like usual..... nope the site says as always...

Saturday
HEAT RACES 4:30 PM
FOLLOWED BY PACE CAR PARADE
AND NATIONAL ANTHEM
FEATURE SHOW STARTS AT APPROXIMATELY 5:00 PM

Myself and 2 of my friends who showed up at 5pm to race....since racing doesn't start till after 5pm pulled up to find out that spec drags preceded e v e r y t h i n g....
So there were 3 more uninterested vehicles having to go home because someone couldn't address there site to say this sat only...

I think you guys fixed it so that slow black s-10 could win.... Amazing how he couldn't come when called out last year and stand me up, but he knew about the time reschedule! ! and no one, no one knows my phone # over there c'mon...... utterly amazing....
I felt bad jeff had to interview em

iamaranger
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
insted we get....drifting......

SuperShafts
11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
No some skid plate crap..... There crazy...no interest! !
I had 2 new vehicles with me, and case in point, lmfao no interest, another friend just called yesterday to make sure i'll let her know when she can come and give the turning thing a try...
That is 3 new vehicles..... no interest....ok

What paper bag was the person hiding in that made this decision....who did they leave this up to, jd from the howard stern show...wth

catfish
11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Before ripping everyone but Obama and the Pope did you call any one and see if there were plans to add them since the season starts in 6 months. It takes prep work I am sure but they are supposed to street driven cars so you should not need all winter!!!!!

art11758
11-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm a little lost here. You have a show that for the most part, is over by 9 or 9:30 pm. You have divisions with low car counts, thus no meaningful heat races. And then you have a no cost to you spectator attraction (save the cost of the trophy) that is entertaining and unique..... that, you leave off the schedule? :confused:
Oh and Catfish..... Wanna run some laps? Y'know, my 190K 90 Merc Grand Marquis to your street car? Just a friendly call out if they reappear on the schedule, no pressure.

rrealto
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
This event did seem to be very popular with the fans in the seats. Wonder who decided this one?
Seems to be a better and more exciting event than watching 3 cars do drifting.
Maybe offering a few bucks to the winners or 1, 2 and 3 would build the interest up, if in fact it was dropping off. Not a lot of money, just a little something.
Is the interest not there or has it been poorly run?

Jaws
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
No cost?? How about insurance? Can't be cheap.

Ka$h25
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
This event did seem to be very popular with the fans in the seats. Wonder who decided this one?
Seems to be a better and more exciting event than watching 3 cars do drifting.
Maybe offering a few bucks to the winners or 1, 2 and 3 would build the interest up, if in fact it was dropping off. Not a lot of money, just a little something.
Is the interest not there or has it been poorly run?

It was losing some luster. But the drifting really is pretty bad, and I think they pay those guys to come. Cut that from the budget and offer some money to the spectator drag winner once or twice a season. If you promote it a little you can probably get a big showing and some good racing.

I do like that they're trying some new things. Skid plate racing seems interesting from what I've seen on youtube. I've already heard from quite a few drivers who are lining up possible skiplate cars. Plus they're driving down costs. You can get good usage out of a cheap junk car between skid plate racing, blindfolded taxicab (if thats coming back) and etc.

cerckl'm racing
11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
I know I liked the spec drags. What exactly IS skid plate racing? I watched the video, but what is done to the cars?

RGeeProductions
11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Better yet, what is it doing to the surface of the track??!?!

W. J.
11-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I know I liked the spec drags. What exactly IS skid plate racing? I watched the video, but what is done to the cars?
Yeah, I found a couple of videos of it, too. They put cut off, curved metal, usually a piece of an old wrap around bumper, on the rear wheels to stop them from turning, but as a spectator mentioned in one of the videos, they tear up the track. Should be very interesting to see if Riverhead has found a way to do this type of racing without that happening. If this is the 'replacement' for spectator drags, it better be good. Something new to do with modified 4 cylinder enduro cars, I guess?

SuperShafts
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Before ripping everyone but Obama and the Pope did you call any one and see if there were plans to add them since the season starts in 6 months. It takes prep work I am sure but they are supposed to street driven cars so you should not need all winter!!!!!

lol before ripping everyone apart...

What did you think i posted this here on a whim? ..... I heard a dopey rumor ?.... I heard something from someone that hasn't a clue ?....

They can't update the tracks time schedule on their site for changing a event, can never ever get the line up right, in order or whats what... causing 3 other cars to not make the race....

But on there site, they said .... """Just one Car Rollover Contest set for this season, but we'll try and make it a biggie. You might also have noticed that Spectator Drags have been dropped for 2010 as interest in both those events waned over the last few seasons."""

Waned ! ! ! ??? The roll over contest is wasted time.. drop it totally and run the track for racing and do it right... Do IT OR GET OUT! ! !
Waned he says.... waned....of the 2 times (numerous cancellations this year) i made it this year i met atleast 3 new people that never ever tried before....
There were 3 other vehicles that didn't make the last show cause they couldn't take 12.5 seconds to update the sat start time on the site...

Sad, many changes can happen now to put the track into a premier position, lose the bs 28 day discrimination against it...then they pull a JD move....wthh is/was someone thinking... to much alcohol possibly during that decision! ! ! wtff ! !

AND And And adding Skid plate racing.....Wth who is the j/o that had that brain storm.....
I hope to god all you pro racers....
Call the track and tell them, not to wreck the track with that stupidity....

Lets see who would be the 1st distingushed racer to do it! ! !

Anyone that is even remotely curious about some backwoods stupid stunt skid plate bs needs help...what imbecile would sit thru that stupidity.....
What mental patient would want to run there good race car on a pos torn up scraped up whored out track.....

Now me and Don gotta go to seekonk

deathwishracin1
11-21-2009, 04:15 PM
IMHO i think part of the problem that led to the end of the spectator drags was the way the rules were written. They were any registered and insured street legal car which leaves a lot to be left to interpret.

On one hand that does mean modifications are allowed but some people went too far. some people argued the cars that were running street slicks but yes they were d.o.t. approved tires. We all remember the argument about Don running nitrous and beind told to pull it. I personally thought things like that werent necessarily unfair or wrong but I found it rediculous that guys were spending that much for a few laps in their "street car" that was trailered to the track. Whatever it wasn't my money so let them have their fun.

On the other hand there needed to be a line drawn somewhere. There were a few cars, not many but a few, that were just ignoring the rules of it. A car or two here and there running charger car or late model tires, cars towed in with half the lights not working and a dealer plate on the back etc. Again i kept my mouth shut even when I got stuck against them first round but others complained. I think a big part of it came down to the track not wanting to have to babysit a division they make no money off of, but I could be wrong.

I've also heard many fans complaining about the spectator drags being just as boring as the roll overs you all hated were. At least as many as those that like the drags. You can only watch the same 3 cars win so many times before it puts you to sleep.

As for the "last minute schedule change" there are no heat races on saturday enduro shows. Guys that run those shows know to be there because the papers in with your enduro application state you must be there by 4:00 pm and the car in the pits by 4:30 no exceptions. Racing then starts at 4:30, same way it works sundays. I get how someone running just the spectator drag wouldn't know this but thats probably why they didn't update the site.

From what I'm hearing about the skid-plate races they are concerned about the track surface. Last i heard was they are going to use aluminum to make the plates as they shouldn't tear the track up too much. Let's hear them out on things like this and see what they actually plan before we insult every idea they have when all they are trying to do is start a new, very low cost, easy to get into division to bring more people to the track. I for one think it would be a great division and much more entertaining than the rollovers they are replacing.

RGeeProductions
11-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Aluminum?!?!? I do hope you are kidding with that!!! They will last all of maybe 2 laps!!!! that is unless they are 12" thick....

deathwishracin1
11-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I never said it would work, just saying what I've heard.

W. J.
11-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh, I don't know, aluminum diamond plate might last 10-15 laps. I think whatever it is, if it's fairly smooth, it shouldn't be too bad for one time use, but that means making up a lot of skid plates.
I do agree with one thing. Let's give it a chance, and see how it works. It beats 'drifting'.

The Bullfather
11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
The one thing I could see go wrong and I hope it doesn't happen, it that the skid plated catch on to a rut in the track and tears it up big time or even cause harm to car and driver. But we'll see come 2010!!!:)

SuperShafts
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
This should be interesting, but i think you'll miss it totally..

IMHO i think part of the problem that led to the end of the spectator drags was the way the rules were written. They were any registered and insured street legal car which leaves a lot to be left to interpret.

Any registered insured car...... My Jeep went up against a T-rex.... not 1 complaint... it's hp to weight is astronomical compared to my Jeep

I ran up against everyone using race tires, to my 5 yr old or older Eagle Gt's... Not 1 complaint from me.. I encourage you to bring your best...

I could care less the malibu has 500+" of bb motor, and race tires, or that it's lighter...

I could care less the mustangs are easily 1800 lbs less them me..
I could care less who has nitrous...
Nitrous is not illegal either.... so before you dare say it, find it on the law books, it is not there, there is no such illegal use of the gas...There is a law on how much compressed gas in pounds ANY motor vehicle can transport...

That being said...Why would anyone come to a Heads up non handicapped RACE and cry when there outclassed or lose....
So you all know.... My Jeep is outclassed by EVERYTHING, yet i have won...

On one hand that does mean modifications are allowed but some people went too far. some people argued the cars that were running street slicks but yes they were d.o.t. approved tires. We all remember the argument about Don running nitrous and beind told to pull it. I personally thought things like that werent necessarily unfair or wrong but I found it rediculous that guys were spending that much for a few laps in their "street car" that was trailered to the track. Whatever it wasn't my money so let them have their fun.

Let me tell you about 2 of my STREET cars.... and i use them on the street... 1 makes more hp then 1.5 modifieds.... the other makes just a hit over 1 modified
I can't bring them, there street cars, registered and insured, i'll even leave the race tires off and run the front runners and still hammer the fastest spec drag car out there....

It is a Heads up non handicapped race.... Anyone can bring ANYTHING then want...

Why are you even looking at what a person spends on there street car, or how they got it there...
Truth be told, trailering ANY car being used in a RACE is smart...
Why. ANYTHING can happen in any race and YOU AIN'T driving it home...
Who cares it got trailered there...
I can find you street cars that have more money into them then 3 modifieds, so in your eyes, because that particular car owner spent that much he shouldn't race....

Wait!! better yet, i shouldn't have the opportunity of embarrassing a porsche gt, or bugatti, or a pagani because there all 100 times the price of my Jeep... Even more then all 3 of my cars....but i'll jump at the chance... just like i always have....

On the other hand there needed to be a line drawn somewhere. There were a few cars, not many but a few, that were just ignoring the rules of it. A car or two here and there running charger car or late model tires, cars towed in with half the lights not working and a dealer plate on the back etc. Again i kept my mouth shut even when I got stuck against them first round but others complained. I think a big part of it came down to the track not wanting to have to babysit a division they make no money off of, but I could be wrong.

They make no money off of?.... i know many people that come to just see the SD's..
The only person that might be cheating in your definition is slaugerties...no plates on that car and non dot tires... so what...make your car better.
Hey he beat me, so what, he barely beat a 4300 lb jeep that is all locked up..had to keep me pinched down to do it too....next time he gets the inside and i get to embarrass him with a outside win...with his left turn set up only car.....

My Jeep is for me me ME to enjoy, and it happens to work at the track...it is not set up to make turns, front and rear tight LS's and a locked transfer case is not the set up for handling in corners...In fact she ran the last 2 races with severely chipped / broken spiders.... how do you think those spiders got broken....racing on a oval
__________________________________________________ __
Non street dot tires

If they were running legitimate race tires then give them a higher price to get in.... That's all...... I bring my Jeep street ready, i pay i forget what was it $35 or $40, you come with legitimate race tires, you pay $70 or $80
AND even with that being said.....
Everyone running RACE tires i hammered, i hammered EVERY race tire running car with a Jeep set up for drag racing.... going straight....

My only regret was not getting Don before this happened...

As for the "last minute schedule change" there are no heat races on saturday enduro shows. Guys that run those shows know to be there because the papers in with your enduro application state you must be there by 4:00 pm and the car in the pits by 4:30 no exceptions. Racing then starts at 4:30, same way it works sundays. I get how someone running just the spectator drag wouldn't know this but thats probably why they didn't update the site.

From what I'm hearing about the skid-plate races they are concerned about the track surface. Last i heard was they are going to use aluminum to make the plates as they shouldn't tear the track up too much.

I don't run enduros, so no one gave me the top secret enduro drivers only special start time letter.. Sorry there is no excuse for not taking 11.5 seconds to update the site, not everyone knows that bs, 3 of us didn't as did another 20+ that paid to see it and wanted there money back....

Skid plate racing is retarded..... sorry im not apologizing nor taking it back, only a retard would find a car with steel in place of it's wheels entertaining.... It's insulting to the other divisions that such a stupid field would ever be on the track!!!!! I would keep my car home before racing on a scared up track...
I wish someone would use there pee heads and atleast make them use hd ind casters instead of skid plates....that is the single most stupid retarded thing i have ever heard of doing..... you want that backwoods dumb ass straw hanging out of your mouth image, you are going to get it this year.....

__________________________________________________ ______

I've also heard many fans complaining about the spectator drags being just as boring as the roll overs you all hated were. At least as many as those that like the drags. You can only watch the same 3 cars win so many times before it puts you to sleep.

Spec drags are not even close to the same as the roll overs.... the roll overs are a waste of time... almost as bad as the skid plate idea..

Spec drags this year had several different winners, as they did last year...
And they are never ever the same race everyweek... So saying there the same old same old is really silly, your not gonna watch Nascar anymore. JJ won the last 3 champs.... won the last race, missed the week earlier, but got the 2 before that...
Drag racing, John force has the FC champ more then anyone, stop watching because he may win it again, every race in between is different...

That is a piss poor argument... I never faced the same cars everytime i came... But the pro stock field is always the same....so don't watch it, that is the single most insanely worst excuse i ever heard for a argument EVER... The same 43 cars start in Nascar, the Same 20 cars start F-1....c'mon that is silly...

Never complained racing against motorcycles..... Never complained once... neither should anyone else unless the car is a legitimate race car...

SuperShafts
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
You know what, there is a new town board in town, many things can be changed..... instead of cramming a pile OS into 28 days they could get that lifted and RACE for real.... instead they remove actual racing for stupidity! !

Now im complaining...

I would rather watch the 4c Super mini mods then some retard skid plate racing.

I question myself lately if this is a race track or side show? wth?

Who is the mental patient that would like to take the credit for the skid plate idea?

W. J.
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
So I guess you don't like skid plate racing? Only saw it on YouTube, looks interesting in that it's different, but I'll reserve a final opinion after actually seeing it.
I agree, with a 'new' town board, maybe something can be done to expand available race dates. That would be nice.
Spec drags have been dropped before, and yet they came back. Let's wait and see what happens. I agree, it got out of hand with the 'special' set ups people were running, ruined the spirit of racing "Street Cars", ie, "Get your car from the parking lot that you drove here and join us to race it". Maybe Spectator drags should be divided into 2 types of cars, Registered Street, and "Schlaugies Type Specials", unregistered and trailered to the track. J/M/O

SuperShafts
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Skid plate racing should be run at gershow, right to the pile! !

Who wants to watch cars with a piece of steel where the rear tires should be so they slide into the corners....
c'mon, that is retarded, almost as bad as blind folded racing....oh there gonna hit and crash and slam off eachother and the wall too....awesome can't wait to see it....
Can't wait to see the track surface even more wrecked, you know how bad that surface is already...it's terrible now! it doesn't need any more negative help...

I agree, it got out of hand with the 'special' set ups people were running, ruined the spirit of racing "Street Cars", ie, "Get your car from the parking lot that you drove here and join us to race it"

I am running against all those cars with the tires and whatever else they got..... Anyone ever hear me say what do you have under the hood?
Anyone ever hear me question what was?
Anyone ever hear me say oh man you got race tires you're cheating?

Anyone hear me complain about anything? other then not having a damned clue as to what time they expect a class to be on the track....c'mon man that is pretty elementary right there...

Maybe Spectator drags should be divided into 2 types of cars, Registered Street, and "Schlaugies Type Specials", unregistered and trailered to the track. J/M/O

You pull in you have absolutely non dot tires you pay more then anyone else, and there is your handicapp.... double fee for non dot tires, triple fee for unregistered...

Who cares what schlaugies does or brings....some people can't drive and have no clue...

Now every single vehicle i own is modified WJ, so i gotta run race cars? Both my trucks are modified, my jeep, my cars...Everything... I like driving my vehicles everyday the way I build them, detroit never gets it right...if i bought a Viper GTS tomorrow it wouldn't be good enough...

The idea is fun, bring your car from the parking lot, just remember the other car might be mine in the parking lot, and i don't enjoy driving stock what detroit thinks people want.....

I came out there to get the best, and the best was Don, so if you can't beat em, don't try then, but crying about it is really so unsportsmen like....

You want handicapps, join the NHRA and get started in E.T. bracket racing....when you don't win there cry and see what happens...

How many pro drivers never won a race..... that's what happens, but someone gotta be 10 thru whatever

Too much pandering out here to bs, oh she got, he got, you got, i got, they did.....holy christ...go get your own then.... I'll bet you $100 it doesn't make a bit of difference for you....

deathwishracin1
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Supershafts...

Apparently you missed the point of what i wrote. I specifically stated that I wasnt the one spending the money on the parts so many people were running, including yourself, so I didn't care what they were running.
Yes it was a heads up, non- handicapped division. yes that means run what you brung. As i also stated in my post, yes, I was one of those outclassed cars that always got its a** handed to it. I also never complained about an unfair advantage.

I agree that you and everybody else should be able to spend as much money on their car as they want. Hell I had a 1st gen eclipse at 15 lbs of boost i wanted to run. Too bad the engine blew before the season started. Was that stock? Obviously not.

I never said Don should have pulled the nitrous. I remember talking to him when he put it in the season before. All i said was we remember that arguement about if it should be allowed or not. I think he should have been able to run it. Again, I agree with you.

I also never had a problem with the big block malibu or any other car. As was stated it was run what you brung. i ran a stock car and lost every time for years and never complained once. I thought it was rediculous for me to spend my money on my car to race it at riverhead to win a plastic trophy. If someone else thinks it's worth it then good for them. I never once said it was wrong.

My point was that there were other competitors complaining. Not everybody thinks like me and you in case you haven't noticed. Maybe, just maybe, someone at the track got sick of the whining from those people about what they felt was an unfair advantage. As with any division, you will find someone that just wants to complain. Unfortunately complaining does more harm than good in most cases.

The only things that shouldnt have been allowed IMO was non d.o.t. tires non-registered cars, and anything else that would make the car not street legal. Those were the only rules, so it doesnt make sense to say ok lets ignore them. How many d.o.t. racing tires are out there? How hard is it to register a car? Whatever though, they ran and even though I didn't agree with them being out there, I kept my mouth shut.

Just because the last round wasn't always the same exact two cars against each other doesn't mean the winners werent repetitive. The majority of the time one of the same three or four cars ended up in the last round and won. Some people do get bored of that. Apparently you don't.

I never said the rollovers and spectator drags were the same. Again different people have differernt opinions. There were people out there that felt that the spectator drags were boring. Just as you felt the rollovers were boring and pointless. Is that a better way of putting it?

Ok you don't like skidplate racing. We get it. You would rather see them start another true race car division when they can't fill most of the fields they have. Did it ever occur to you that not everybody has the time or money to build an actual race car? I know plenty of people that want to race but don't have the money to build a car. Somtething truly entry level like skid plate cars will probably bring the track more cars than another saturday division. I don't see any other division at riverhead that you can spend $200 and be competitive. It't dirt cheap to do and you can build the car in a day. What setting up is there to do? Strip the car? While you might not like it there are plenty of people that will.And that brings more money to the track to help keep it open. I thought that was something we all wanted. And I'm not saying this cuz I plan on running that division. I've got my hands more than full rebuilding my enduro car and setting up demo cars while working two jobs.

SuperShafts
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Supershafts...

Apparently you missed the point of what i wrote. .

No I thought I said at the very end that the pandering to the whining complaining crowd needs to be put to rest, and simply answered with the rule is, if there non dot then add the additional charge.... If there not registered\inspected toss em, it's that simple...

Problem is the pandering at the track to ALL the stupid nonsense!!
I spent a lot of time educating people on the bs of the old town board! Now there all gone, and all the right people are in, there shouldn't be a problem removing that discriminating use of time bs rule against the track.... I did my part, they gotta make the 1st move now.

If skid plate racing is needed to keep the track open? Let it die!! I don't want to race on a scraped up scared pos track!

Nothing is cheaper then spec drags if you want entry level racing!!! Nothing! Other then solo and et and tt stuff.

I can't believe YOU as a racer would want that bs wrecking the track!

cerckl'm racing
11-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Spectator skid-plate racing, anyone?

W. J.
11-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Only on the right rear tire?

Ka$h25
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
I think I found my Mississippi.

SuperShafts
11-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Spectator skid-plate racing, anyone?

You can do that and call HBO to come document it too, bring your straw! and suspenders!

W. J.
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
You can do that and call HBO to come document it too, bring your straw! and suspenders!Y'all forgot about them pitchforks!!!

cerckl'm racing
11-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Should be interesting watching the skid-plate-mobiles trying to get up the ramp onto the track...

W. J.
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Hey, I had an idea. What if they embed emery chips on the skid plates? It would grind the track smoother!!

SuperShafts
11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Should be interesting watching the skid-plate-mobiles trying to get up the ramp onto the track...

They usually run them on dirt tracks, the pavement tracks that use them usually have a big infield and there not on the track...

Why not just start something new instead of following some other dumbasses idea...

We could have 4C Super Mini Mods, but no they go for stupidity skid plate racing.....

Why not have enduro racing WITH ! ! ! NO TIRES AT ALL ! ! ! !

That'll be even cheaper to get into since you don't need tires...

A69pizzoo
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
holy crap who cares about spec drag.. build an enduro car.

deathwishracin1
11-24-2009, 12:19 AM
If skid plate racing is needed to keep the track open? Let it die!! I don't want to race on a scraped up scared pos track!

Nothing is cheaper then spec drags if you want entry level racing!!! Nothing! Other then solo and et and tt stuff.

I can't believe YOU as a racer would want that bs wrecking the track!

If they can find a way to do it that won't destroy the track like aluminum or, as you said, casters I'm all for it. If they plan on using steel or something that will destroy the track then i don't want the division. I just think everybody should give it a chance and at least hear the idea fully before trying to kill it.

RGeeProductions
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
holy crap who cares about spec drag.. build an enduro car.

Now that's funny!!!!
Honestly, from this thread it seems there really are many that care for the spec drags either way, a few who like them and only one who is obsessed with it.
As someone said above, it is to each their own.....Get a group of 20 people and give 5 different events the track runs and pick your favorite and I bet each one of the 5 would be picked out of the 20 people....probably even out of 10 people....
I really think the spec drags would be better then skid plate racing and can't see why they couldn't keep them and fit them in occasionally.....looks like those who run have fun and to me would be less $$$ for preparation....anyone with any car can race on the track without prep if they wanted to....
I am quite concerned about what these skid plates will do to the racing surface....then again it may smooth the track!!!!

nobandwagonhere
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Back in the day it was "run what ya brung"....but it wasnt one-on-one...it was a "Spectator drag Enduro"....I for one love spect. drags.....but Id LOVE to see how some of the guys that build cars just for SD's would have lasted back in the day..lol....they need to bring that back.:wave:......just sayin.

hollywoodmic
11-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I can tell you this much, if look at the Late Models and the Chargers, they had the schedule reduced. Now they are getting more shows. If you go to the promoters and you can prove that there is interest (drivers)YOU WILL GET the spectator drags back, in some capacity. To come on here and bash them for dropping it, isn't going to help your cause they won't even consider getting it back. So instead of you "having to go to Seekonk" you could of spent all this energy trying to build it and showed them there is a demand for it right here in your own back yard.

P.S I love the spectator drags, and that bad ass Jeep

Golf Guy
11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Like the old saying goes
"you can catch more bee's with honey than vinegar."

SuperShafts
11-24-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not obsessed with SD's, I was helping to get more involvement...
I did want to get Don last year, but it never played out!!

I'll never build a enduro car, there is no love or even want for that, I asked about a grand, got some kinda answer and lost interest right there...
I have 3 cars now I can race, 2 at a road course or drag strip, 1 primarily drag...

As for talking to the track about it, I'm only interested in helping them remove the 28 day discrimination clause, which can be done this coming Jan, though no one seems to want to say they can act on it....
As for the SD's if they want to lose a good draw...talk on the street, talk and interest on boards, well then that means less washing the Jeep I have to do! !

I would rather they leave the SD's and add the 4C super mini mods...
Instead rather then work out of there own backyard they look to backwoods stupidity......I have enough fighting to do, and I watch the actions of all..

I watched drifting get multiple shows, I watched a local guy! hard working nice guy tryin to make a new race division, just like legends, get screwed!!!

W. J.
11-24-2009, 09:19 PM
The 4c Mods get my vote, they are great race cars. Maybe a 'home' at Riverhead would help them increase their car counts. It would be great to see them get an actual race there. Build or buy one of those, I bet you'd love it.

As far as Spec Drags, I agree with Hollywoodmic, contact the promoters with actual numbers to let them know the interest and maybe they'll bring them back. It sure worked for the Late Models when they were about to be completely dropped.

Also, let them know that you think the 28 race day restriction could be lifted, they might be interested in hearing your thoughts on that. It's great idea, benefiting all of us. I know you are passionate about this, but don't go in like a bull in a china shop, and you may get somewhere.

SuperShafts
11-25-2009, 08:55 AM
WJ you have a direct # for someone that can deal with that? I'm gonna try Steve if he answers his phone... I tried the other 2 numbers and well I am, never mind

btgoss
11-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Isn't all of this talk about saving the Spectator Drags is just a waste of space... when we really should be talking about combining the Late Models and Chargers and dropping the Figure Eights to once a month.... on a Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

The Bullfather
11-26-2009, 09:01 AM
okay who threw the beaten horse into the stirred pot???:lol:

Golf Guy
11-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Isn't all of this talk about saving the Spectator Drags is just a waste of space... when we really should be talking about combining the Late Models and Chargers and dropping the Figure Eights to once a month.... on a Sunday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

And aren't you just the light of sunshine on a conversation...

catfish
11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Amazing how every winter he seems to come on here and start the same crap.

btgoss
11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Come on catfish, I was here in the summer as well.

At least someone got my joke.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Watching Brian's Song is just sad, but it's better then anything on Speed.

catfish
11-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Never said you weren't BT, just that every offseason you flog the crap out of a subject that most everyone but you realizes will not happen anytime soon.

art11758
11-27-2009, 04:39 PM
If you get an ear in the office, add me to the list of interested sd competitors.
I finally got a lively bullet in my heap.

SuperShafts
11-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Well.....i tried, im not wastin time with that horse...doesn't take 3 days to give someone an answer or even just call to clarify...

btgoss
11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I think you are seeing an increase in the number of shows for the Late Models and Chargers as a way of padding the show. I seem to recall hearing of more then a few nights that ended very early due to a low car count. Adding these shows back pads the show out. So it makes sense.

Earlier in this thread Jaws mentioned the insurance cost as a possible reason that the Spectator Drags are being dropped. This also makes sense. How can you pass along that cost? How many people come in the back gate to support a typical SD? Do you have to buy a license to run? Where is that money going to come from to insure that division? The insurance costs the same, it is hard to pass that along to the SD drivers, but a new division, that needs more people to support it. That might make sense.

Adding the 4C Supers might look like a better add. Those cars are very nice, and wouldn't wreck the track like the skid plates will, but aren't there only like 4 or 5 of those cars? (That is a joke.)

If the insurance was the reason that the track dropped the SDs what is that going to mean for other low buck divisions?

W. J.
11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Well.....i tried, im not wastin time with that horse...doesn't take 3 days to give someone an answer or even just call to clarify...
I assume that refers to your question to me. Sorry, I have been busy with other things the last few days. The only number I have is the one everyone else knows, the tracks regular phone number, 842 - RACE for the Copiague office. It will get you to Bob Finan. He may be able to redirect you from there to Barbara and Jim.

SuperShafts
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
No not you WJ, that was dealing with them directly.

There are 12 4C SM's now

Jaws
12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
No not you WJ, that was dealing with them directly.

There are 12 4C SM's now

Super shafts, they may hae 12 cars but never get that many at the track. Its a cool little division, but its been around for several years and can never get into double digits.

If the skid plates do any damage to the track, they will not be back.

As for the spectator drags I can take them or leave them. I did try it once about 20 years ago, I think I lost by 1/2 a track...lol

SuperShafts
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Super shafts, they may hae 12 cars but never get that many at the track. Its a cool little division, but its been around for several years and can never get into double digits.

If the skid plates do any damage to the track, they will not be back.

As for the spectator drags I can take them or leave them. I did try it once about 20 years ago, I think I lost by 1/2 a track...lol

They never gave them a chance to get the cars to the track for a event, and when they did, the date was canceled among other issues and no other date was reset...

The only thing the 4c's do is run practice here and there... How could you say they can't get all the cars there... they only allow them practice time, would you practice at a track that is nothing like you compete at...?
Im not bringing my road car to practice at riverhead, why would i waste my time with that at a track i never ever run competitively at....even if i could practice the fig8, why? same with the guy's owning a 4c...some of them come out there to gain interest in them..
Though i find it sad the home track doesn't get involved with it's own backyard...

History lesson on new racing divisions....

Legends weren't a instant success, was some time before they hit it off big (mostly thanks to Humpy Wheeler).
Just like EVERY new division, except for KOS in drag racing that started off huge and then dwindled as it changed to yet another pro street style class..
Stock car racing started in 1909, nascar wasn't huge for YEARS and YEARS later, decades later... Takes time...

But you don't find it odd that a track is looking to waste time with skid plates when they have mini super mods to run? ? ?

You guy's like racing or J/O projects? ? skid plate racing is a J/O project....

Spec drags are much better, not my #1, would rather be barreling into a 20 mph turn from a 180mph or making a 150+ mph pass.....not whatever speed im making in SD's, but the action there is dragging heads up against a unknown hp capable vehicle, where the bet or chance is unknown...
Where the unsuspecting vehicle can upset the other....
Where a Jeep can spank a all time winner, or be within feet 1st time out....
There is the excitement, the thrill.....the friendly $5 or $1 bet in the stands, or the $200 bet between rivals....

skid plates belong on Off-road trucks, if you want i'll show you some nice one's i make for competitive off-road trucks... not to be stuck on the back of some front wheel drive hoopty....

Hoopty racing now!!! at riverhead raceway. Don't try 4c's, bring in the hoopties

Ka$h25
12-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Do you understand that to the common family walking into Riverhead Raceway, racing is racing, they don't see a difference in divisions like LMs/Chargers, Grands/Blunderbusts, Tour mods/SK mods. They're the target audience, not us. On any given night we get 4+ divisions of "real racing" sometimes a little "side show bs" is good. Skid plate racing is something different that the common man will enjoy watching. If it sucks, or if it damages the track, they'll can it. The spectator drags were fun but it wore off. They'll be back some day.

You've been on here calling the skid plate racing stupid, insulting everyone who might be interested in them. It just as much of a "real race" as the Spec Drags were, and just as much of a "sideshow" as Spec Drags were.

It's all about the fans.

W. J.
12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Uh-oh, Ka$h25 used the 'forbidden' words! (Spec Drags):-|:-|:-|

catfish
12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
He may have used the forbidden words but he hit the nail directly on the head!!!

RGeeProductions
12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Uh-oh, Ka$h25 used the 'forbidden' words! (Spec Drags):-|:-|:-|

HUH? That was the other thread WJ....

concordcharlie
12-14-2009, 11:06 AM
i seen it i enjoyed it and it new to the fan fan love it try it before you knock it:applause::applause::applause:

W. J.
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
HUH? That was the other thread WJ....Oh, I figured it was ANY thread.....

cerckl'm racing
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Bring back the motorcycle demo!

Just kidding.....

Skid plate racing looks...amusing. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Where's the Spec. Drag petition? I'll sign...

W. J.
12-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Bring back the motorcycle demo!

Just kidding.....

Skid plate racing looks...amusing. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Where's the Spec. Drag petition? I'll sign...ANYTHING would be better than drifting!

SuperShafts
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Do you understand that to the common family walking into Riverhead Raceway, racing is racing, they don't see a difference in divisions like LMs/Chargers, Grands/Blunderbusts, Tour mods/SK mods. They're the target audience, not us. On any given night we get 4+ divisions of "real racing" sometimes a little "side show bs" is good. Skid plate racing is something different that the common man will enjoy watching. If it sucks, or if it damages the track, they'll can it. The spectator drags were fun but it wore off. They'll be back some day.

You've been on here calling the skid plate racing stupid, insulting everyone who might be interested in them. It just as much of a "real race" as the Spec Drags were, and just as much of a "sideshow" as Spec Drags were.

It's all about the fans.

I understand racing as racing is, a contest of speed....

To expand on racing some more... Truthfully, A contest of speed between machine and man, to grow and experience and to make better the 2 involved... Not to do stupid things to machine and go backwards...

Sorry that i see racing for what it is and not a side show....

Spec drags were are a contest of speed/skill between 2 vehicles in a heads up style race... That anyone could try there hand at, on any given opportunity, of which can make people that otherwise WILL not ever try there hand at racing, have the simplest way to possibly get involved... Maybe become the next competitor out there in another division...

Sorry that some felt their outclassed, thats what happens in any heads up division

__________________________________________________ _____

If the track did something to promote a NEW RACING division such as mini super mods...
Kill the spec drags for it, im fine with something that is with racing, and continuing with it....

skid plates are not for racing.. skid plates aren't going to bring or get anyone involved with racing, involved with stupidity....yes

skid plates are for the under belly of off-road trucks and rally cars to protect there drivelines from being struck by objects...

skid plates do not belong purposely on the back of the car in place of the wheels...

I said it once until communism got there, i'll say it again...

it's not racing and it is stupid. Might as well let the enduro cars continue running on flats too while there at it, and every other division, it'll make everything interesting...

They have enough divisions to run REAL racing every week and keep everyone happy...

You know what many of you criticize drifting, lmao and this dragging the back of a car from skid plates installed in place of the wheel , a purposely built machine technically to have no rear control and slide... other then being totally dopey is ok....
If this went on at Gershow after hours, fine, that's where it belongs..

Hey kash, it was you that said ... "But the drifting really is pretty bad"

Kinda hypocritical, don't you think kash...

Now you got slow, pretty bad and the ability to damage the track drifting on skid plates.....

Awesome, we could have watched super mini mods, but a real bright bulb picked something stupid! ! ! Im gonna bet there was alky involved....

The Bullfather
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
4c Super Mods, did have a date but rain canceled their event. They were told that they would make up the date at a later time! Mike Renn does a great job with them, but you keep bringing them up, when they are a touring division, they visit many tracks and have a touring championship. I don't think your helping them, only hurting them by bringing them up in each post as an example. Once again, they are not looking to have a full class at Riverhead Raceway, they were working from one date and the track was going to see if they wanted to add another date or two! The division has racers from different states, not just Long Island. Mike calls the track to practice and they allow him, he doesn't hammer the track and make bad statements towards the track. He brought a sponsor for the one race they were suppose to have, the track liked the idea, because Mike and crew brought the sponsor to the table!

Spec drags has been dropped before and brought back again at later date, writing on this message board is not helping your cause! Maybe you should tune down your approach and let the winter ride along into the spring time and see what happens!!!

SuperShafts
12-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Pete! I went thru everything you left many details out of.... canceled, money paid, no reschedule.
See the post, it is in this thread.

Pete, i don't see hammering or bad statements, truth, sometimes the truth is a killer...
Sorry, nothing i can do for you with that, i haven't said anything that is untrue.

The Bullfather
12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Just cause the date hasn't be announced doesn't mean it won't happen!!!! It's Dec still!!!

broz
12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Hopefully this thread will be dropped soon for lack of interest.....:disgusted

The Bullfather
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
Please do so! :lol:

SuperShafts
12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Just cause the date hasn't be announced doesn't mean it won't happen!!!! It's Dec still!!!

c'mon Pete do you know everything?

SuperShafts
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Hopefully this thread will be dropped soon for lack of interest.....:disgusted

Yep 2,400 views sure is lack of interest....

Don't worry the communist police will be here soon to kill it....

W. J.
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Don't know why you waste your time on this Marty... now you're getting advice from 'experts', lol.

Bye-bye thread!!!!! :lol:

SuperShafts
12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
All I was hoping for WJ was something done for racing, if they kill the sd's fine, do it for some form of racing! ! Not something that should and does take place in junk yards after hours..

If there short for events, I'm sure some PT drivers would like more time, F8 would too, along with others I'm sure...
As a racer I raced all weekend when we had our facilities and even when we lost the RC in BH, I still didn't race 30 minutes twice a month! !

I do not see how any race fan would want to watch drifting without rear wheels.
Then the risk to the track..

The same people that don't know they have a flat and gotta see the black flag umpteen times before pulling off, are gonna be the same people in a hoopty with steel on the back getting ripped off in accident and becoming a plow on the racing surface....

Riiiight I can hear it already, no they won't. Lol. Ok

fisherman
12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
hey marty call the speedway office and talk to bf maybe they,ll give a sd date for next year but tell you all be hear 1 hr in advance and have like 20 sd,s or no show:cheers:

SuperShafts
12-15-2009, 06:36 PM
hey marty call the speedway office and talk to bf maybe they,ll give a sd date for next year but tell you all be hear 1 hr in advance and have like 20 sd,s or no show:cheers:

I have called and e-mailed RR on more serious issues then this in the past few weeks......

Not a soul has replied by phone or e-mail....

Really makes me question many many things....

The Bullfather
12-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Ever think it is the approach? After hammering them online before in the past, why would they want to talk? They have moved on from the S.D., for the time being, as they have in the past!

The drifting crowd had a lot of people at the last event that they brought with them. Drifting may not be your cup of tea, doesn't mean there isn't a following and doesn't bring people in the gate! The group of guys were nothing but nice in the pits before and after they went out on the track.

W. J.
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Drifting, intermission, same thing to a lot of us. Never said they aren't nice people, and they look like they are enjoying what they do, but many fans in the stands found it less interesting than you might think. It's a niche participation "event", can't even be called racing, since they don't really race each other. Maybe go back to Thursday nights, like when they first started.

RGeeProductions
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
My opinion, I can't see why they couldn't run both skid-plate and spec drags...mix them up through the season....and as Peter said, anything can change...look at the Late Model division this year...

SuperShafts
12-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Hammering them online....

I have contacted there offices for a much more serious issue then SD's, like i said, i could really care less about the sd thing over the other issue....

Seems to me no one cares over there....

No one in over weeks and weeks can even say we rather not try....not even e-mail back, if they can't respond by phone...

When did i hammer them ? picking apart a choice to replace a true start in racing because no one else took the time too...
They should have done this themselves....

Funny i don't remember people screaming for drifting....i believe i even have on tape people screaming over SD excitement...many many times..screaming, standing up...not sitting like they don't care...

I criticized, i haven't hammered... Pete are you seriously saying that you have seen me hammer them here....

If i hammered them, rgee eyes would fall out, and he'd have a heart attack trying to remove the comments before anyone else seen them....

allhailunc
12-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Hammering them online....

I have contacted there offices for a much more serious issue then SD's, like i said, i could really care less about the sd thing over the other issue....

Seems to me no one cares over there....

No one in over weeks and weeks can even say we rather not try....not even e-mail back, if they can't respond by phone...

When did i hammer them ? picking apart a choice to replace a true start in racing because no one else took the time too...
They should have done this themselves....

Funny i don't remember people screaming for drifting....i believe i even have on tape people screaming over SD excitement...many many times..screaming, standing up...not sitting like they don't care...

I criticized, i haven't hammered... Pete are you seriously saying that you have seen me hammer them here....

If i hammered them, rgee eyes would fall out, and he'd have a heart attack trying to remove the comments before anyone else seen them....

looks like he allready did:lol:

A69pizzoo
12-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Can somebody lock this tread already. enough on the spec drags.

LongIslandJam
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I agree, I think we've discussed every angle there is to this and I don't think there's much progress to be made.

Let's take a break for the holidays.

Happy Holidays!:cheers: