PDA

View Full Version : good place to get tubing

critter
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
wheres agood place near me to get tubing for rollcage ? cant afford alot , but do need it , im in pottstown thanks all :help:

racer11
12-10-2009, 06:03 AM
smileys race car parts in bowmanstown. 610-852-3390

Tracy57
12-10-2009, 07:40 AM
There's a place in Fleetwood (unsure of name- it was called LB metals, I think but name changed recently) that is like a salvage yard and you can get sheet metal, tubing, old machinery, etc. real cheap. It's always going to vary what you find there though like at Harry's but cheap... Just as fun as going into a candy store! :) Larry can be occupied for HOURS there!

We just got tubing from Bloomsburg Metals and they delivered. They MAY deliver to you- can always call them and say to drop some off when they are in the area again.

critter
12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
ok thanks my friends

jimwhite
12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
home depot or lowes has pipe at a cheap price around 16 dollars a 10 ft peice works good for roll cages :cheers:

CJfilms
12-10-2009, 08:06 PM
BEFORE!!!!

Before you go buying random piping that is not going to be sufficient for what you are looking to do, check the new rules out.....I will be posting them up within a week or so now, so just hold off a little longer!!!

We have NEW rules regarding roll cages and their construction, so make sure you abide by these new requirements BEFORE you spend the money on insufficient materials.

If you do go to a home improvement store, make sure the bars are at least 1 3/4" in diameter and have a wall thickness of .90".

Exhaust pipes ARE NOT SAFE to use in roll bar/cage construction. Pipes are to remain hollow....we will be checking for pipes filled for added weight.

AFTER!!!

After you've constructed your roll cage, make sure your welds are clean and correct! Improper welding will not allow the cage to do what it is intended to do...protect you!

I have a few sample photos for proper welding that will be included in the new rules. Cages with bad welds will be judged at the speedway....if a cage is overrun with bad/unsafe welds, we may ask the driver not to participate.

So, go over your work and make sure you tie up any loose ends before you get to the track in 2010.

richardpetey
12-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Although many peeps use black pipe(schedule 40 & 80), it is not recommended for rollcages....................:disgusted
Good rollcage tubing is DOM and will bend upon impact unlike black pipe which can shatter after it is bent........................:rolleyes:
UNCLE PETEY...............:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

mcstockcar
12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Chrome moly is great for rollbars, lighter but more$$$$$.Lots more stronger.
I use DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing like Petey stated, its cheap and strong and easy to bend in the bender than chrome moly. ;)

critter
12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
i have two sources for pipe , just have to get it, bend me some up and weld it in , thx all

Philter39
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I buy my tubing at Hoover steel in Schwenksville ,PA. There prices are better than other places. Hooversteel.com. DO NOT use Koons steel.they steal from you.

Joe you mention 1-3/4 x090 wall the 1-1/2 by .120 wall is also as good.

My pontiac was built with steel from Hoover. Tracey Carmen -Berger tested it with her # 57 and it held up real well.

thats my 39 cents phil

RACERX
12-10-2009, 11:02 PM
please people do not use cheap tubing i took 2 nasty wrecks this year 1 at five mile point and 1 at black rock and if it wasnt for a good cage and and safety equip. i probably would not be here right now. so spend a little more$$$ and buy the better stuff. thanks bill price jr #48

Danger83Ranger
12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
A good place to go is S&W Racecars in Spring City. They have a pre bent kit for my truck (4 point) for $200. All I have to do is trim if necessary and weld. They also provide shipping, it is only 10-15 minutes down rt. 724 from pottstown though. Good guys there, they rebuilt the front end of one of my quarter midgets back in the day when my brother wadded up the front end, did it at a great price and had it done in time to put it back together and hit the track the next week. ask for Randy Crouse.

$200 for a 4 point cage is decent to me, cant put a price on ones safety, but $200 is decent considering what we spend to put a front clip on the modifieds. It's less piping yet cost A LOT more.

Check there website to see if they have a kit for your application, or have a custom one made just for you. http://www.swracecars.com/

here is the 10 point kit for my truck... http://www.swracecars.com/store/10-Point-Roll-Cage-OSCARItem_36=11-3571.aspx

if you cant find what your looking for (website can be tricky) let me know...I will try to find it for you.

Danger83Ranger
12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
hey critter, I looked up a cage for your car...but they dont make a cage for a car named zoom zoom...lol. what make and model is that thing?

Erin C
12-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Is it a Mazda 626?? I could be wrong on the model but it is definitely a Mazda...

Danger83Ranger
12-11-2009, 11:23 AM
didnt find anything for a mazda 626, they do have them for mazda rx7's and r100. even geo metros...lol. but i believe they will sell you the ews tubing for $5 per foot. or was it $8 per foot? let me check

RGeeProductions
12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Please note: the roll cages at this website are for drag cars and NOT made for side impact.....
you should have 3-4 horizontal bars on drivers door for proper protection...not one diagonal

Danger83Ranger
12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Please note: the roll cages at this website are for drag cars and NOT made for side impact.....
you should have 3-4 horizontal bars on drivers door for proper protection...not one diagonal

the door bars are an "option" in place of the diagonal bar, price isnt much more.

critter
12-11-2009, 05:02 PM
they dont make one for my mazda 626 , but dont u worry team dx is makin our own , we have the tools and skills

mcstockcar
12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
A good place to go is S&W Racecars in Spring City. They have a pre bent kit for my truck (4 point) for $200. All I have to do is trim if necessary and weld. They also provide shipping, it is only 10-15 minutes down rt. 724 from pottstown though. Good guys there, they rebuilt the front end of one of my quarter midgets back in the day when my brother wadded up the front end, did it at a great price and had it done in time to put it back together and hit the track the next week. ask for Randy Crouse.

$200 for a 4 point cage is decent to me, cant put a price on ones safety, but $200 is decent considering what we spend to put a front clip on the modifieds. It's less piping yet cost A LOT more.

Check there website to see if they have a kit for your application, or have a custom one made just for you. http://www.swracecars.com/

here is the 10 point kit for my truck... http://www.swracecars.com/store/10-Point-Roll-Cage-OSCARItem_36=11-3571.aspx

if you cant find what your looking for (website can be tricky) let me know...I will try to find it for you.

I buy the kits for paticular applications for the drag cars, the fit really well and require very little trimming.

Maddawg
12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Smiley's Race Car Parts in Lehighton 610-852-3390 also builds Roll cages Custom built and fit for any type of car from enduro's to Modifieds........Really nice work for a fair price :cool:

Tracy57
12-12-2009, 07:54 AM
yes it had a 4 pt roll bar, evidently it didn't have plates on the floor for the roll bar to mount to. The posts sticking thru the floor are a somewhat sobering reminder that how the bar is mounted is equally important. I'm thinking maybe buying a couple sq ft of 10 or 12 gauge plate to go along with the tubing might not be a bad idea.

http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=4624353

WEEZER
12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
There's good tubing at Jack Frost mountain too!!!!!

critter
12-12-2009, 01:23 PM
haha we all know i cant spell , maybe i should have put roll bar tube lol