PDA

View Full Version : Bridge out...

intense1
12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
For anyone who normally uses the St. Johns Road access to the speedway, the creek bridge is closed until further notice. From what I understand, it was built in the 1880s and is slated to be repaired or replaced.
Therefore, ALL vehicles must use the Butler Drive/Old Turnpike Rd. to Mill Mountain Road access, to the speedway.

That bridge was....SHHHHAAAAKKKKYYYY!!! :drool:

Grandstand
12-20-2009, 09:25 PM
But that bridge was the best!!!! Loved watching the boards bounce up and down when you drove over it....

Going to miss the old bridge ....

Geno
12-20-2009, 09:28 PM
A couple of zip ties and bungee cords should get it fixed up! We can even throw some foam into the creek…just in case:)

kyle06
12-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I remember the first time I took my future wife to Sundance (then Evergreen) in 1997. After going over the bridge en route, she made me promise to NEVER take her car over that bridge again...LOL. I'm sure that bridge saw better days, but they must've all been well before 1988!

It's better to go down Mill Mountain Road anyway...always cool to see the track through the trees.

White Lightnin
12-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I remember the first time I took my future wife to Sundance (then Evergreen) in 1997. After going over the bridge en route, she made me promise to NEVER take her car over that bridge again...LOL. I'm sure that bridge saw better days, but they must've all been well before 1988!

It's better to go down Mill Mountain Road anyway...always cool to see the track through the trees.

Kyle, I sent you a PM

jm31
12-21-2009, 07:43 AM
That bidge may have been shaky, but it held up! Five ton combination, right?...:D

Grandstand
12-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Until Chris started racing for Tommy, we always brought the truck and trailer over that bridge... Our friend even brought the enclosed trailer over it.... those were the days!!!!

White Lightnin
12-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I think we all brought a good amount of weight over that bridge throughout the years. I remember it in the early 80's before the newer decking was put on. Real nasty back then.

In 1980, Jim Zacharius was towing his brown #71 Pinto modified over the bridge when the binder let go. The car left the trailer and wound up in the creek at the second bridge. A bunch of guys went down and helped pull it back up on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if he won later in the night with the car.

LM13
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I feel bad for Mark having to go way out of the way every time he goes home from work.

intense1
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
I think we all brought a good amount of weight over that bridge throughout the years. I remember it in the early 80's before the newer decking was put on. Real nasty back then.

In 1980, Jim Zacharius was towing his brown #71 Pinto modified over the bridge when the binder let go. The car left the trailer and wound up in the creek at the second bridge. A bunch of guys went down and helped pull it back up on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if he won later in the night with the car.

Somehow, I knew you would have a bridge story. :)
Happy Holidays...W.L.

Geno
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
:lol: same thing I was thinking! Hey, no worries, we'll cross that bridge when we get there....umm, nevermind, there's a Jersey barrier in the way:rolleyes:

White Lightnin
12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Somehow, I knew you would have a bridge story. :)
Happy Holidays...W.L.

Hey Intense - byte me

But have a nice holiday too :wave:

micro60t
12-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Happy Holiday's to all! See everyone Jan. 2nd. Since I have pictures of everything else, why not!

White Lightnin
12-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Happy Holiday's to all! See everyone Jan. 2nd. Since I have pictures of everything else, why not!

I expected you to have a photo of Zach's #71 in the creek too. :lol:

Tommy65
01-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm behind in my reading and this thread is getting old but I had to laugh when hearing about the 2 ways to get into the speedway. My first trip to Evergreen for opening day 1988 we got lost. We hooked up with Steve Clark somewhere and followed him in the Mill Mountain Road way I guess. We were flying down the road following him and then Steve and his co-pilot started waving their hands frantically out the window signaling us to slow down. Good thing he did as we were coming to the curve right where the track is at the bottom of the hill. (Little did we know) We had no trailer brakes and had already had several close calls during the 3 hour ride up from NJ. We were so glad Steve waved his hands out the window otherwise we would have slammed into him and landed the both of us in the seats at the track. We got the trailer brakes on during the next week and came the bridge way every other time.... We thought the bridge was cool. Too bad it has to be repaired, probably with a newer design.

White Lightnin
01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Stickman,

So what you're saying is that you almost wrecked "MY" trailer :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually it just got another set of brakes 2 years ago - springtime it gets a new deck

Tommy65
01-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes. That's not the only time we almost wrecked your trailer. Once I passed Reynolds a donut from my truck to his while driving on the PA pike and he had his rig sideways enough that I saw the 66 on his car in my mirror. I don't know how he didn't hit me. Warren Alston the flagger was right behind us and man did he give us a tongue lashing about our driving when we got to the track. Also tried to take my badly smashed car home one night backwards on the trailer (The night Charlie Klatt and I made a hole in the backstretch fence). The front wheels of the truck wouldn't stay on the ground. Hard to drive like that... We had to reload the car at McDonalds over by route 80. Not easy work when the front clip is trashed. Lastly, leaving Pocono in 1989 my trailer hitch nearly fell off my van. Secured it with a tie down strap and drove very slowly to Steve Clark's shop and welded it all back on. Your lucky you have that trailer! Take good care of it, it's only got a few of it's 9 lives left...

White Lightnin
01-16-2010, 08:32 PM
You know, I always said that you and Dave were 2 of the smoothest drivers at Evergreen but I meant on the track. You just needed to lay off the turnpike or Dave needed to lay off the donuts.

Ahhh, the famous Klatt/Brown hole in the wall. Not to be confused with the Gallucci hole in the wall. :applause::applause:

We used to call Klatt's car the "Longship". I wouldn't ever want to get hit by it. I remember it being at least 30 feet long and 6,000 pounds. :lol:

Tommy65
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
6,000 pounds huh? I guess he shouldn't have been coming in over the creek bridge according to those weight limit signs in the photo. There I got the thread back on topic...

White Lightnin
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Me thinks we need a sub forum for Evergreen memories :cheers: