PDA

View Full Version : ? on the rear view

critter
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
just wondering why we cant run the rear view mirror ?? i myslef think where goin to see more wrecks with out em , and i also liked to look back and see who was comin so i could move , just a ? :help:

Erin C
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Critter, this was discussed and explained immediately after the rules meeting...I think turning 40 affected you!!! :help::p

I like mirrors too.....for safety reasons.

However, we see it race after race....mirror driving. More people are watching who's behind them rather than what's in front! I would like to see the mirrors stay, but in reality....we have flaggers, lights AND scanners. There should be no reason why cars are not stopping when we throw a red....other than lost brakes.

critter
01-08-2010, 06:09 PM
ok then thanks lol was just wondering thats all

richardpetey
01-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Dumb rule! Rear views help more than they hurt, especially because we can't hear you guys clearly on the scanners....................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

critter
01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
have to agree with petey , and i know it keeps me from gettin run over hehe

DerbyN8-128
01-09-2010, 08:04 AM
What, you guys don't understand the series of beeps we often here over the scanner? :lol::lol::lol::lol::disgusted:disgusted

It is what it is...

A few guys use them improperly...

Everyone else pays.

Philter39
01-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Mirrors are for combing your hair. Not racing phil

mcstockcar
01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
if you got hair....:lol:

richardpetey
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Not to bust on my enduro buddies, Phil....................:rolleyes:
But driving without a mirror ain't no thrill..........................:disgusted
Let the wind keep my doo looking fair.......................;)
I'll use the mirror to keep ya outa my hair...................:cool:
UNCLE PETEY.......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

critter
01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
well since i dont have hair can i keep my mirror lol

Trav90
01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
I think Mirrors on any type of race cars suck! Can you see putting rear view mirrors on late models or Modifieds at Grandview!

richardpetey
01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Not to break your bubble Travis but most LM's and Mods not only have rearview mirrors but side mirrors................:rolleyes:
You sit so low in a pavement LM that you can't see anything, its tough even seeing over the hood................:eek:

critter
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
nascar runs them too , but rules r rules oh well

Danger83Ranger
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
from my understanding is that the mirrors are not allowed anymore because they were used for blocking. where does it state that its illegal to block in racing? its part of racing, always has been, even if its a team mate blocking for another team mate...racing is a team sport plain and simple. but in another sense, this is enduros, not racing, enduros. most people have forgotten that... and the costs of this is getting higher and higher every year. its unbelievable what it costs to run a modified just for 2250 to win, you'll never break even. when enduros come to mind, we think of cheap, in one aspect yes it is cheap. but its supposed to be a junk car race, we are basically required to build a factory stock at this point other than a few small changes. a lot of the rules are for safety, i understand, bit a lot of the drivers on the track are normal people looking for that racing fix. 95% of the drivers are using mirrors to stay OUT of trouble, like we do on the road. not having mirrors is unsafe, it should be REQUIRED. JMO of course

miller78
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
i look it this way its dirt racing there are 3 groves out there the faster cars will find there way around without hitting anyone

Lad3der
01-11-2010, 02:44 AM
critter not picking on you but you said nascar runs the mirrors. they also run with spotters do you want them too? yes mirrors make racing safer and i have 2 on my super pro truck (rear view and a left side spot mirror, as well as a spotter) but i do believe the rule for no mirrors is coming from the point of view that if they break or get dislodged from the car during racing or a roll over/ flip that the glass will be in the track and is then there to cut tires on their regular saturday night program. we are trying to keep the cost down and not make everyone go run out and buy the safety mirrors that lm or mods or even nascar use.

ThePill
01-11-2010, 06:29 AM
If you are slower, hold your line. If the faster cars still hit you then obviously they need a brake check and the officials should consider rough riding penalties.

Danger83Ranger
01-11-2010, 08:06 AM
If you are slower, hold your line. If the faster cars still hit you then obviously they need a brake check and the officials should consider rough riding penalties.

good point

Googles Pisanno
01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I lost my mirror 1/2 way through the Mutha, didn't like not having one, but got used to it not there. I don't block, but it's nice to see what is back there so I can be sure not to make a bonehead move. JMO

CJfilms
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Danger and The Pill have both posted good points here...

Danger noted that there is no rule against blocking. He is right! There is no rule against blocking...the problem is not the blocking and mirror driving, it is the fact that the slower cars are blocking for team mates and friends. Instead of honest racing, we are catching a lot of drivers pushing the passer high or low to upset the or possibly pinch them into a dead car.

Joel noted that the slower cars should hold their line. True! If you know you are not the fastest car out there and probably not even in the top five or possibly top ten....race your race and finish. IF a faster car cannot get around the line you are racing, they need to work on their skills.

Danger also noted something about drivers use the mirrors to stay out of trouble... It will take time, ask Petey, he has had plenty of seat time in just about any car out there! It takes time to understand this, but the race you should be worrying about is in front of you. If there is a faster car coming up on you, they are going to either pass you, spin you or wreck you. In enduros, they will use the excuse that "they rubbed you and rubbin' is racing". Unless it happens enough times for us to catch it/them doing it, we cannot start penalizing drivers for everything everyone else claims...but, when we do catch a blatant dump, we do penalize.

In the case that you mean you can stay out of trouble by watching a car coming up behind you when you stop for a red....the most you will accomplish is lessening the wreck. This is why we say slow the car to a stop, but don't drop anchor!!!! The cars that do drop anchor and stop immediately usually end up getting slammed. If your car gets slammed because you stopped instantly, you can't blame the radios, the mirrors, etc...you stopped too hard. We are going to explain the red flag procedures a little better at the driver's meetings this season as to lighten the troubles we are running into when the red flag comes out.

Another point to discuss, briefly, is drivers sitting in dead cars. Obviously, if your car dies and is facing the right way and you are high/low enough to be out of the groove but still on the track... It is YOUR decision to stay out there!!! We will throw a red flag if you wave your hands to get out. If you stay in the car and take a hit, there is nothing that the mirror will do besides make you tense up before the hit. The best way to take any hit is to remain in a calm state and relax your body. The more tensed up you are, the harder the hit will seem to actually be when you do get jolted. I once took a hit that I saw coming at my door...I tensed up and slammed my arm into the door skin trying to defend myself....DUMB MOVE!!!! The door bars and belts were there to to that. I should have just let the hit happen, my arm would have ended up hitting the door anyways, but without so much force and thrashing.

IF we are to re-instate mirrors, we would do so at a time DURING the season based on racing incidents...

This is another reason why we had the rules meeting...I understand a few people couldn't make it, but we will have another one after this season and tie up any loose ends....if you want your voice heard, this is the time to do so! I won't change rules mid-season unless there is an extreme safety issue.

Tracy57
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Can the ladies have a mirror on the visor to check their makeup when theres a red thrown??? :lol::lol::lol:

critter
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
sorry all didint mean to start anything , i never ran mirrors in the derby cars ,so i should be good , and i do stick to my line right on the bottom lol

tbirdracer
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
in all my years of racing, i have never used a mirror. i always hold my line and let the faster cars move around me. if you watch the video, you will see drivers like tim, chris and many other top driver go around you or slow up until they can. there are a few drivers that will hit you from behind to move you. but seat time and just learning to look a head to see were the car in front of you is going you will do fine. it takes time to learn not to use the mirror but you will learn. well maybe not critter.LOL.

critter
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
very funny ray , but i have raced with out mirrors and i already took it out of the zoom zoom , :wave: as i go by ya :cheers:

mcstockcar
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
"i always hold my line and let the faster cars move around me"
Try telling this to the drivers who have no patience and like to drive thru you or use there car as a intimadation tool to move 2 cars out of the way .:mad: There is at least one that will try to drive between 2 cars and force them out of the way. Ive seen this move several times. A few of you that were victims, know what Im talking about.
A brake check, is some times the only way to tell them "Im not playing that game...GET OFF or go around!":mad: The only drawback is damage to the back of your car sometimes.:( I dont play that way, If i cant pass, I ll wait till the time is right. :wave:

richardpetey
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Satellite navigation, 43 way mirrors, dirt periscope, curb feelers, fender skirts, 360 rub rails, two-way radios, seeing-eye dogs, Apache tracking scouts, ESP training, mine sweepers, accident avoidance system, 43 spotters, klingon force field, USS Enterprise tractor beam or whatever it takes to keep atmospheric pressure in my sneakers......................:eek:

ThePill
01-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Petey, maybe you should try boat racing

CJfilms
01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Petey, maybe you should try boat racing

Come on Joel....you can't float when the tires don't have air in them! LOL!!!