PDA

View Full Version : Modified Tours to Get Ten Televised Races on Versus Network

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
WMT / WSMT - 1/13/10

It was announced on Tuesday night's Speed 51 Radio show that ten NASCAR Modified races, split between the Whelen Modified and Southern Modified Tours, will be televised on a tape-delayed basis in 2010. The races will air as one-hour packages on the Versus network and will be produced by the NASCAR Media Group. Events at Lowe's Motor Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Bowman-Gray Stadium and both races at New Hampshire Motor Speedway will be among the races televised.

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 11:56 AM
It's great for Modified Fans, but it sucks for people who have Direct TV, because Direct TV dosen't carry Versus!!

WhelanModFan
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Good to see, thanks for posting this. Any TV exposure for the Mods is good.

Glad my cable company carries Versus.

:cheers:

BigMac
01-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Could they pick worse events? Lowes and Atlanta are a joke at best. Bowman-Gray lacks passing although I guess a case could be made for them. I'd rather see the Bristol race stay on Speed. Actually, I'd like to see all of them on Speed. Modifieds and Speed are a good fit.

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Could they pick worse events? Lowes and Atlanta are a joke at best. Bowman-Gray lacks passing although I guess a case could be made for them. I'd rather see the Bristol race stay on Speed. Actually, I'd like to see all of them on Speed. Modifieds and Speed are a good fit.

If your a true mod fan I don't think anyone should be complaining about what tracks there covering!!! The POINT here is there is gonna be Modifieds on TV. JMO

ModTourMan
01-13-2010, 01:03 PM
That's nice I guess...I'm a bit disappointed at the one hour packages and the track selections. No, I'm VERY disappointed. I expected the New Hampshire and Bristol races and I like Bowman Gray (a REAL bullring race on TV!!!) but Atlanta and Lowes on those little toy 1/4 milers? Hardly a showcase for the Modifieds in my opinion. I've seen the legends cars run these tracks...they will look like exhibition races in my opinion. Yes, it gives the Mods some exposure but will people new to Modified racing say WOW? Hopefully there will be a surprise or two when the rest of the 10 race schedule is released...maybe a Stafford, Thomson, Caraway or So. Boston or the like to REALLY showcase the Modifieds!

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 01:11 PM
That's nice I guess...I'm a bit disappointed at the one hour packages and the track selections. No, I'm VERY disappointed. I expected the New Hampshire and Bristol races and I like Bowman Gray (a REAL bullring race on TV!!!) but Atlanta and Lowes on those little toy 1/4 milers? Hardly a showcase for the Modifieds in my opinion. I've seen the legends cars run these tracks...they will look like exhibition races in my opinion. Yes, it gives the Mods some exposure but will people new to Modified racing say WOW? Hopefully there will be a surprise or two when the rest of the 10 race schedule is released...maybe a Stafford, Thomson, Caraway or So. Boston or the like to REALLY showcase the Modifieds!

I agree when you say Stafford, Thompson, Caraway or So. Boston, trust me, but I am not gonna bite the hand that feeds me.;)

gary243
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
The track selection seems to be based on economics. Except for for Bowman Gray, these are all Cup support races, so the cameras and crews will already be in place.

Jaws
01-13-2010, 02:02 PM
When they anounced 10 my guess was all the north races except Riverhead, Lime Rock and Monadnock, because 2 were 1/4 mile bull rings and the road course was too big and too costly to do.

Man was I wrong.

Bowman Gray I can live with but the 14/15 cars they may get at at Lowes and Atlanta will do the series no good.

but with that said I will be watching all 10.

The Bullfather
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
question is: How will the modifieds transfer from asphalt to concrete with the horsepower, will it grab or will it spin those huge meats??? Also how smooth is the lip between the two on pit road?

Brian Hawks
01-13-2010, 04:19 PM
I swear to god you people are amazing.

Who cares what channel it comes on and what tracks they attend? It's better that what we currently have. It's good for modified racing. Point blank.

Anytime the Mods make it to TV you people whine moan and complain. When people from Speed come to websites like this all they see and that. I know some people on here appreciate it but this thread alone is nothing but negatives.

The madhouse thread is nothing but negatives. If the Southern Tour is ever going to grow they need more cars and more coverage and more pay. It looks to be working out.. but with everyone attitude... the Southern Tour is nothing more than dumb rednecks with boring races.

I'd LOVE to see some POSITIVE posts on this subject... Because it's BETTER for everyone.. It's a good thing.

JED
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
That is good news! Hopefully some new fans will be generated.

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Who cares what channel it comes on and what tracks they attend? It's better that what we currently have. It's good for modified racing. Point blank.

Anytime the Mods make it to TV you people whine moan and complain. When people from Speed come to websites like this all they see and that. I know some people on here appreciate it but this thread alone is nothing but negatives.

The madhouse thread is nothing but negatives. If the Southern Tour is ever going to grow they need more cars and more coverage and more pay. It looks to be working out.. but with everyone attitude... the Southern Tour is nothing more than dumb rednecks with boring races.

I'd LOVE to see some POSITIVE posts on this subject... Because it's BETTER for everyone.. It's a good thing.

The only thing I'm *****ing about is i have DIRECT TV and they don't carry Versus so if you wanna tape the races for me and mail me a copy then you do that and I will be happy.... :applause::applause::applause:

Also I like The South and the North tour and I hope it just keeps growing, also I enjoy Madhouse and I will continue to watch it...

Brian Hawks
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Gonna be hard for me to tape anything for you!! I am trying to get outta DirecTV myself. I love Hockey and they did away with Versus a few months back.. So I feel your pain.

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Gonna be hard for me to tape anything for you!! I am trying to get outta DirecTV myself. I love Hockey and they did away with Versus a few months back.. So I feel your pain.

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::*-(:*-(:*-(:*-(:*-(

RacnJason00
01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not switching cause I also enjoy NHL CENTER ICE on Direct TV, But maybe one of you can tape the races for me and send them to me :cheers::cheers::cheers:

mattphoto
01-13-2010, 06:13 PM
now will the races be shown in it's entirely

GM.
01-13-2010, 06:33 PM
The track selection seems to be based on economics. Except for for Bowman Gray, these are all Cup support races, so the cameras and crews will already be in place.

That's ok. BG will have the TV crew from Madhouse there so they'll just use those cameras!!! haha...

They'll chop the races up so they fit into a 1 hour show. This includes pre-race and post-race interviews. So once you add in commercials to that, you're lucky if you get 33 minutes of race coverage. This 1 hour format is what the Camping World East/West series got last year. I saw a race or two on and they were practically high light shows.

BigMac
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM

There was nothing negative said here about Speed. Everyone was sending emails thanking them last year after their broadcast of Bristol and NH. The same day broadcast was great. I love Speed channel and I'm pretty sure Speed loved the ratings they got last year. I'm sure Versus will have similar results. They will do a great job. The scheduling and broadcasting of races at Lowes and Atlanta is a different story. They have the mods running on the same little 1/4 mile tracks that the mascots chase each other around on. I wouldn't go if I lived across the street and you gave me free tickets. Why tape a race there when there are tried and true tracks up and down the east coast that can truly capture what mods are all about. Seriously, how bad is it going to look on TV if only 13 cars show up at Atlanta? What good is a TV deal if the tour guys don't show up. I think the bottom line is people want whats best for the tours and most feel those venues don't portray what modified racing is all about. I'll take places like Thompson and Caraway over Lowes and Atlanta any day of the week.

Jaws
01-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Brian,

Sorry you feel that way, maybe we are a bit too critical but negative no.

To put the mods in the best light we need the races at NH, Bristol, Stafford, Thompson, Martinsville need to be shown, they are the best races.

In my humble opinion the races at tight cramped Atlanta, Lowes and Bowman Gray are not the best places to showcase our sport! Thats all. If I was not so far from them I would probably attend all 3!!

Bring on Versus, Bring on Speed, bring on ESPN!!! Hell I would watch them on ESPN Deportes!! Senior!

We love the Mods!!!:applause:

Axel
01-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Bring on Versus, Bring on Speed, bring on ESPN!!! Hell I would watch them on ESPN Deportes!! Senior!

I will be watching these races on the Ocho.

LiquidBread
01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
UNCLE! We've all been griping about the lack of commitment and exposure for years, and now that the modifieds are finally getting it, we're b****ing about the type of coverage. Two years ago we would have been dying for a ten race schedule on TV. A thirteen week reality series highlighting the mods .... bring it on! This sport has finally gotten some juice, and an opportunity to bring more fans and sponsors into the fold. The smart folks will leverage what they've been given and make it better. It's a major foot in the door on both fronts. Perfect no, but plenty of opportunities nonetheless. I don't think anyone (including me) is advocating selling out, but let's be a bit realistic here.

burtmyers1
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Yall ever wonder that maybe Nascar knew the races in Charlotte and Atlanta would be small draws and maybe this is an attempt to get more cars? Hell I if was a low budget driver/team I would go now knowing I am going to be TV. Also from the Southern fans point of view who really only have the money for the Stadium and maybe few tour shows now have the chance to see their favorites at a race they wouldn't be able to see otherwise. Looking at things through other points of view may change all the negativity. I mean for God sakes for once you get something you've been wishing years for and you throw your nose up at it. Who cares what track they are racing at or whether the racing isn't its best.........

.........ITS OUR CARS ON TV!!!!!!

chrome horn
01-13-2010, 10:21 PM
I am actually kind of looking forward to seeing the Lowes and Atlanta races. The southern guys are used to running Bowman Gray, and the nice thing is if they beat an bang, there's no walls in the turns. Could be interesting. Brian, I think you need to re-read the posts. They aren't mad that they are on Versus, just mad their cable provider doesn't carry it. Of course we want coverage up here, so we question the motives of Lowes and Atlanta. But I'm sure cost effectiveness plays a big part.

My vote for one of the races up North....."The Mad Dog" or Riverhead.

Does anyone know if the Camping World East still has the TV package with HD Net?

km74nc
01-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes, there is a lot of complaining especially about something that we have been asking about for years. I guess it is just reality, are we glad there are 10 races on TV, yes. Do some of us think the track selection could be better, yes. Either way we will watch with anticipation. As far as Atlanta, Lowes, and the Southern Tour goes, the teams will have to get behind this thing for it to work. There have been other times when big opportunities have come along and they pass it up. Pass it up to many times and it will be gone, for good.

Brian Hawks
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I really don't need to re-read anything. I currently have DirecTV.. so if that's the ONLY grip.. I'm with you 100%. I'm under a contract with them and no longer get Versus, which sucks. But something will be done about it on my end for sure.

What I'm complaining about it we got 10 races on TV this year.. and all I read on here is.. What we need is this...

No, What we need is support and positive posts. I'm so tired of reading posts about the "Madhouse" being bad for the sport. ONE fist fight occurred at Bowman Gray Stadium. Truth be known, it wasn't really over a racing deal either between Brad Robbins and Chris Fleming. ONE time did someone just pile drive someone into the wall in 2009. The show shows both of those incidents in a promo and now all of a sudden, it's demo derby redneck idiots fighting on TV and the worst thing to happen to Mods.

Now, don't tell me I'm not reading this... Because I am. What ya need to do is go Listen to RaceTalkRadio when Matt Dillner and Derek Pernesiglio spoke about this situation.

I don't know how many countless times I've read about Jimmy Blewett or Teddy dumped someone or drove them dirty and watched everyone complain about it. Now it's stupid redneck garbage. That's RACING.. That's ENTERTAINMENT And that's what people want to see.

On a normal night.. Bowman Gray Mods will put you to sleep. Making a 13 week show has to be difficult.. so some crap talking and a true rival story HAS to be there somewhere.. Either way.. I know for a fact 3-4 people who NEVER attend short track events will attend BGS from the company I work for.

Which brings me to my next point, The company I work for is a big sponsor of Bowman Gray Stadium, and is getting some nice free advertisement right now. Which in turn, is going to help my pay check out also.

I think everyone needs to rethink before they post. Madhouse and Versus is GREAT. I don't wanna read.. "Well, this is what they SHOULD do." Because NONE of us have control over that. Take what we can get, hopefully it lands some GREAT sponsors.. and makes for some better racing and bigger purses.

On a side note, I'd like to thank Miller, Myers', Fleming and Brown for their crews and families for allowing time out of their lifes to entertain us and help promote the sport of Modified racing. I think they are all class acts.

Who's_Harry?
01-13-2010, 11:59 PM
Great post Brian! It just would be nice to see NASCAR put some support behind the series. All those Billionaires working at ISC could get some date's and money in the purse. Sure looks like SMI is getting on board.

TJ1976
01-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Im not complaining. I say take what we can get now . Exposure is exposure...no matter what tracks we're at. Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with a couple of the tracks we're at this year but if its on TV...it equals sponsorship $$$ and possible new fans for the series. Maybe this is the shot in the arm the series needs

JMHO

BigMac
01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
That may be what you want to see. I want to see a 100 or 150 lap race with minimal cautions and a great finish. Hoss and TC crossing the line at NHMS in the closest finish ever was a great race. Go watch an old TNN telecast from NHMS. That was must see TV. That beating and banging stuff may be what people want to see at BG but I think folks up north have had enough. Thats why Blewett got thrown out of Stafford for a whole season. Thats why Thompson changed race directors last year. People DON'T want to see it. There may have only been one fight last year but if I'm a non fan watching Madhouse for the first time how do I know that? Perception is reality. More roller-derby than racing IMO. A bunch of drunk fans flipping off Junior and Myers. How is that great family entertainment? How does that help market the mods? And now folks are upset because people are calling them rednecks? If the shoe fits...

KChez
01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
It's seven races more than last year-if the races get good ratings and make money for the channel, hopefully they'd expand coverage in the future. (Why wouldn't they, if it were making them $$?) And this coming on the heels of Madhouse, it's a great chance for people to see the actual racing without the drama. (I heard a rumor that some people don't like reality tv!) Hopefully, the races will be exciting.

Would it be better if some of the tracks were different? Sure, but at least there's more modified racing on tv than last year and the chance to appeal to a bigger audience.

Marco
01-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Maybe this will work for you, too.

I am a huge hockey fan, and I have called the cancellation department at DirecTV three times to complain about the removal of Versus (or every time the Boston Bruins were on).

The first time they gave me a $50 credit.

The second time they gave me a $162 credit to cover the cost of my NHL Center Ice package.

The third time they gave me $20 off per month for six months.

If Versus isn't back before the playoffs I'm done with DirecTV.

On the local cable system where I am Versus is not available on the lower tier packages. Those with any package below about $60 won't get it.

Brian Hawks
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
That may be what you want to see. I want to see a 100 or 150 lap race with minimal cautions and a great finish. Hoss and TC crossing the line at NHMS in the closest finish ever was a great race. Go watch an old TNN telecast from NHMS. That was must see TV. That beating and banging stuff may be what people want to see at BG but I think folks up north have had enough. Thats why Blewett got thrown out of Stafford for a whole season. Thats why Thompson changed race directors last year. People DON'T want to see it. There may have only been one fight last year but if I'm a non fan watching Madhouse for the first time how do I know that? Perception is reality. More roller-derby than racing IMO. A bunch of drunk fans flipping off Junior and Myers. How is that great family entertainment? How does that help market the mods? And now folks are upset because people are calling them rednecks? If the shoe fits...

People don't want to see that correct? I'm not saying turn the guy head first into the wall. But I'm a FIRM believer in if you try to pass a guy, and they throw a block on ya.. move them outta the way. Ya know, How Ted Christopher and Blewett drive. The way Donny Lia drives through the field at NH.

Funny, you just admitted to never being to Bowman Gray Stadium, yet you can form such a bold opinion about the track, fans and drivers after one episode which was 30 minutes long? You never seen a middle finger thrown at ANY Northern race track? HA..

I believe over ONE MILLION people saw Madhouse Sunday night... Quit your negative whine and cry posts. Mods are on TV and going places. Enjoy it, or go watch a boring taxi cab race. (Refer to your "That's what NASCAR has tried to get away from the past 25 years") That's why Sprint Cup Series is boring. You can't bump, argue, get angry or anything. You just ride around till the end.. Boring.. And look how their ratings looked from 2001-NOW.. Dropping.

If you have a negative opinion about these stuff... keep if off these message forums. A lot of people get on here to read, and the more negatives things they read, 2011 you might get left in the dust while another series who appreciates it picks up these kinda deals.

Brian Hawks
01-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe this will work for you, too.

I am a huge hockey fan, and I have called the cancellation department at DirecTV three times to complain about the removal of Versus (or every time the Boston Bruins were on).

The first time they gave me a $50 credit.

The second time they gave me a $162 credit to cover the cost of my NHL Center Ice package.

The third time they gave me $20 off per month for six months.

If Versus isn't back before the playoffs I'm done with DirecTV.

On the local cable system where I am Versus is not available on the lower tier packages. Those with any package below about $60 won't get it.

Thanks for the info. Will do!

RacnJason00
01-14-2010, 11:22 AM
i just told direct tv to stick it and dish network is coming tommorow to install my new dish network system, now i will get versus and the whelen modified tour races on tv :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :wave:

WhelanModFan
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM

It'd be great if the IceBreaker were televised. Don't get me wrong I'd certainly still be there in attendance but I'd enjoy seeing the TV crews from Speed or Versus setting up. Also for people new to Mod racing I think the IceBreaker would be a perfect showcase for the Mods.

Just my $.02 ($.01 after taxes)

cornellsgt12
01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm in the same boat with those that have DirecTV. They will not be getting Versus anytime soon. So now I have to choose between the Yankess (Dish Netwoek doesn't carry the YES network) and the 10 Tour races on Dish Network). I'll probably just be happy watching the weekly shows on NESN featuring the SK's - racing is racing after all.

kja819
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Just have a second dish put up and have one TV for Dish and one for Direct TV. You will now get the best of both. Thinking about that myself I have Direct TV boo no versus but May drop one receiver from Direct and put in one from dish network

RacnJason00
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Im gonna get more chels plus Versus and with Direct TV I was paying 125.00 a month with Duish I am getting more channels, Versus and only paying 50 bucks a month

GM.
01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know if the Camping World East still has the TV package with HD Net?

Camping World East/West lost the HD Net coverage at the end of the 2008 season. Last year certain races were shown tape-delayed on Speed at 3pm on Thursdays (usually the week following the race) and they were chopped into a 1 hour broadcast. And that hour included the pre/post race shows. So once you add in commercials they got about 33-35 minutes of race coverage.

SUfan
01-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Im gonna get more chels plus Versus and with Direct TV I was paying 125.00 a month with Duish I am getting more channels, Versus and only paying 50 bucks a month

Man you got screwed. I get about 80 sports channels on DirecTV, and it doesn't cost anywhere near what you were paying. I'm not giving up those SU Basketball and SU Football (MASN and SNY Networks not available on Dish Network), AHL, FoxSports South televised auto racing or Canucks Hockey games just for ten hours of Modified broadcasting. The NHL Network has better weekly games on than Versus anyways. It shouldn't be hard finding a friend nearby who gets Versus for those few Modified events.

RacnJason00
01-15-2010, 08:54 PM
i didn't get screwed, I get all them games and more for 60 bucks a month and I also have the NHL CENTER ICE and that was on 50 bucks for me for the rest of the season

CynthiaTork
01-16-2010, 06:29 PM
NHL Center Ice was the best investment I ever made

Modman75
01-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Just an FYI... Versus will be back on DirecTV by March. The NHL is getting involved because they want Versus on DirecTV by the playoffs. So, you'll have Versus back in plenty of time for racing season.

Also, has anyone seen an official anouncement about this package?

MJProcko
01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
As a Direct TV guy this is great news!

BOBBY D
01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
A men to that .

11skmod
01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Thank God I was really getting upset and didnt think they would get this resolved

km74nc
01-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Also, has anyone seen an official anouncement about this package?

I was wondering the same thing. Are we getting worked up over nothing? March is just around the corner and if Atlanta is one of the races, it looks like there would be something out by now.

skbob
01-24-2010, 09:32 PM
we don't get Versus on cable in Daytona.
missed the Indy car races last year.
seems like a small step for some people, but a missed giant step for more people.

iamaranger
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
bad news for directTV people...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Versus-Not-optimistic-DirecTV-deal-in-place-b?urn=nhl,218521

"At this time, we are not optimistic that an agreement will be in place with DirecTV in time for the start of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs."

km74nc
02-22-2010, 12:52 AM
I emailed Versus a couple of weeks ago inquiring about the mods and have had no response. Just wondering when we might know something??

SUfan
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
I talked with a NASCAR rep on Friday and still no news on the TV deal is what I was told

km74nc
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I was afraid a bunch of people got worked up over nothing. Atlanta is only two weeks away so I would imagine that the TV situation won't go through unless they use Speed since they will be set-up anyway. I guess we will have to see.