PDA

View Full Version : Mod Tour Without Bob Garbarino Owned Team A Possibility in 2010

ShawnCourchesne
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Whelen Modified Tour Without Bob Garbarino Owned Team A Possibility in 2010 After Departure Of Donny Lia ( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2010/02/modified-tour-garage-without-b.html)

limodmaniac
02-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Man I would hate to go to a Modified race and not see the #4 car there. There are some things you just count on..

Let's see, Matt Hirschman, Tony Hirschman, Doug Coby, Reggie, Burt Myers, Keith Rocco, Ron Yuhas, Zach Sylvester, Ricky Fuller, Andy Suess, Kirk Alexander, I could go on and on...

Here's hoping one of those drivers or someone gets the ride in the number 4 car.

RichKeator
02-10-2010, 05:02 PM
didn't bob say that "no donny no racing" a few years ago???

MXCHAMP04
02-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Of all the drivers, I would contact Rocco, or Alexander. Of those who have rides to see if they would wanna switch, I would contact Preece or Hinckley.

mattphoto
02-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Of all the drivers, I would contact Rocco, or Alexander. Of those who have rides to see if they would wanna switch, I would contact Preece or Hinckley.

Preece already commited to the 3

RacinRob
02-10-2010, 09:14 PM
how bout matt hirschman or timmy solomito? :)

kja819
02-10-2010, 09:39 PM
I guess it will depend on how much $ponser money he would need to get in the car. My choice would be Doug Coby but he has a couple of things going already this year.

LiquidBread
02-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I'll preface this by saying that a.) I've never been a big Lia fan, and b.) Garbarino was quick to show Hoss the door a couple of years ago when Lia lost his Truck gig and became available.

However, you'd think that Lia would have enough class to let the team know way before Speed Weeks, especially given his comments about being done with the mods as of last fall. At least there would be a decent chance to make alternate plans.

Was Lia playing both ends and better-dealed the 4?. Did Garbarino lay down with a dog and get fleas? Maybe on both.

The Mystic Missile has been a long time fixture on the Tour and it just wouldn't seem right without the familiar yellow #4 taking the green. The fact that Garbarino has loyally supported the tour for all these years ought to count for something. I wish him well and hope that he can put something together in time for the Sizzler.

Regarding the Tour's reigning champ, hope you can handle being a perennial back marker.

hollywoodmic
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I love the Lia haters.... but you're entitled to your opinion. All I'll say is look at your quote about Garbarino and the loyalty to the tour for all those years, Quick to show Hoss the door. Perhaps Bob knew something because the proof is in the record without Donny Lia, Bob Garbarino has zero Tour Championships, in all those loyal years on the Tour. I will also say Donny Lia probably never sniffs a championship without Bob Garbarino. They were great together. End of point and they needed eachother to be ultimatley successful. I wish the both of them the best.

Want to win another Championship in the Mystic Missle.........Bobby Santos III would look pretty good in yellow and black.

I for one hope Donny goes on to win more races in the Truck Series. I believe he's one of the only drivers in "recent history" to win in NASCAR's Big Three to come out of the Modifieds. With all due respect to Steve Park, The Bodines, Greg Sacks and Ronnie Bouchard.

RacinRob
02-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I think Donny has done a sensational job in the his short, yet productive time with Garbarino. Donny just like any other driver is entiltled to pursue his career at a higher level. Donny has proven over the [ast two seasons he ran the tour that he is the class of the field, that being said why not try to transfer over his sucess to the camping world truck series? Bad timing? Maybe but who knows when this truck deal came together? Maybe Donny did not want to commit to NOT racing the mod untill he was 100 percent sure of his decision. Whatever the case may be I hope hes sucessful and only Donny knows what went into making this decision.

As for the Chuck Hossfeld deal, I think Chuck is very talented and will be a force on the tour this year, however Chuck has been let go from more than one top notch ride. So maybe there is something going on there? Who knows.

Magicshoes12
02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
i would have dropped hoss too to get back the guy that won me my first championship and look what happened, he won him another lol.....they should give good ole Jerry Marquis a call back!!!! would like to see him back so i can see my dad have his favorite driver back!

plus who knows, Donny is splitting the season with that Jackson Jr. guy so maybe the races that Jackson is in the truck donny will be modified racing that weekend.....just a thought! it could happen!!!

LiquidBread
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Hollywood - I don't know that I'm a Lia hater, it just smells bad waiting so long to tell the 4 team "so-long". Especially when his comments make it seem like Garbarino was Plan B since last fall. It makes it tough putting something together this close to the season.

You are absolutely right regarding the championships. You are also right in pointing out that Garbarino didn't hesitate to bounce Hoss the first chance he had to get Lia back, and would probably do so again if the Truck deal doesn't work out again. I was kind of saying the thing.

I will admit that it's interesting to see the shoe on the other foot for a change. It's usually the owner showing the driver the exit sign.

I too wish them both well. It would just be a shame if the Mystic Missile wasn't on the Tour this year. The 4 team has been a long time loyal supporter, and they belong out there competing.

hollywoodmic
02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Regarding the Tour's reigning champ, hope you can handle being a perennial back marker.

First time at Daytona qualified 21st out of 42 trucks. I say not too bad.

RacinRob
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
First time at Daytona qualified 21st out of 42 trucks. I say not too bad.

Steve I looked up the past stats for this race team and they had some real solid runs last year. I think Donny will be more prepared this time around and shut some people up.

LiquidBread
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Fair enough Hollywood, guess we'll see on Friday. $200 to Maniac's 2010 Riverhead Tour purse that Lia doesn't finish Top 15. Any interest? :cheers:

MJProcko
02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I think if Bob is looking for financial support for the team he'll have to find the driver that brings that.

If he is looking for a young driver to build around I would go with Santos or Rocco. If he has all Troyers then Hirschman.

There are still a few cagy vets out there without a ride to.

Either way there are options, lets hope there is a yellow #4 running around the track this season.

RacinRob
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
after the way keith rocco handled himself this week i wouldnt let him ride my bicycle let alone my race car on the tour.

MXCHAMP04
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
after the way keith rocco handled himself this week i wouldnt let him ride my bicycle let alone my race car on the tour.So what did he do?

LiquidBread
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Other than chucking a 2x6 at Silk while under yellow, stalking cat and mouse after the checkers, throwing hay-makers into the right side window, instigating a dance in victory lane that took mace to break up, and being banned from the track for the rest of the week, not much ... why do you ask?

Axel
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
another thread had some video from Speed51 on the Silk/Rocco confrontation.

catfish
02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
The part I find interesting is if your going to be a man and go after a guy who is still strapped in his car at least be man enough to take off your helmet!!!!

mikel 3
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
The tour just would,t be the same without the 4 team.My first mod race was way back in the mid sixties the v4 with I think Ted Stack driving.Thats a long time to be running thats for sure.It is the defending championship carand not just anyone is going to get the ride.There have been a few drivers mentioned both here and other sites and all could probably get the job done.It costs a lot of money to field a championship team or any team on the tour thats for sure.Talent alone doesn,t get that ride you must bring a check avery BIG BIG check.Talent and money most have the talent but the kind of money it takes doesn,t come that easy.JMHO

11skmod
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Is there a video of the actual incidents on the track?? The racing before the altercation
I wish i had the money to put up and get a ride in The Missile what a opportunity for someone.

MJProcko
02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The part I find interesting is if your going to be a man and go after a guy who is still strapped in his car at least be man enough to take off your helmet!!!!

Not nearly as manly as turning a guy head first into the wall down the backstretch at 120 mph.

RacinRob
02-12-2010, 12:24 PM
The difference between what Silk did and what Rocco did was that Silk suceeded in what Rocco tried to do. Rocco got beat at his own game.

hollywoodmic
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
If Jimmy Blewett was still in the 5 car, helmet or no helmet Rocco would"ve stayed right in his racecar. His crew would've done the same.

To stay on topic, bring Tim Connolly back. His kids must be grown by now. Isn,t that why he retired?? If not give me some BS III

11skmod
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
If Jimmy Blewett was still in the 5 car, helmet or no helmet Rocco would"ve stayed right in his racecar. His crew would've done the same.

To stay on topic, bring Tim Connolly back. His kids must be grown by now. Isn,t that why he retired?? If not give me some BS III

Have to agree BS III would be a great choice has experience and would get the job done Good call

MJProcko
02-12-2010, 05:31 PM
The difference between what Silk did and what Rocco did was that Silk suceeded in what Rocco tried to do. Rocco got beat at his own game.

Would be tough for Rocco to do since he was in front of Silk. All the other divisions not run by Dick Brooks at NSS, you dump the guy you go to the back. Maybe it's time for Brooks to retire if he can't control the mods.

44YEARWALLMOD
02-13-2010, 09:00 AM
HEARD THAT SILK IS NOT LEGAL I DONT KNOW THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER POST AND FROM MY UNCLE DOWN THERE ANYBODY ELSE HEAR ANYTHING? JUST ASKING.

AS FAR AS LIA HE HAS PAID HIS DUES HE HAS WON IN THE TOUR AND IN THE TRUCKS. THERE IS NOT ONE OF US THAT IF SOMETHING COMES ALONG TO BETTER OUR SELFS OR THE LIFES OF OUR FAMILIES WOULD NOT TAKE IT. AS FAR AS THE 4 IT WOULD NOT BE THE SAME ON THE TOUR WITHOUT THEM IT WOULD BE LIKE SEEING OLD BLUE LEAVE BUT THEY ARE A TOP NOTCH TEAM THEY WILL FIND SOMEBODY A SEAT LIKE THIS DOESNT COME AROUND EVERYDAY.
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MIKE E. IS DOING? ONE OF THE BEST I EVER SAW BEHINE THE WHEEL OF A MOD AND ALWAYS HAD A SMILE WHEN YOU SAID HELLO. HOPE ALL IS WELL:cheers:

RGeeProductions
02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
HEARD THAT SILK IS NOT LEGAL I DONT KNOW THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD BY ANOTHER POST AND FROM MY UNCLE DOWN THERE ANYBODY ELSE HEAR ANYTHING? JUST ASKING.

All this has been addressed already in our LIVE updates and also in a story Denise wrote, all on TCH front page....