PDA

View Full Version : Want to start racing at RR. Plz help...

Racin Bran
02-15-2010, 01:17 AM
So my name is Andy. I'm 24 years old. I have a ton of experience racing video & computer games (NR2003 and Rfactor). I started doing go-karting (endurance karting) and I've done Skip Barber.

I can't take it anymore. Its time I do some real racing. I NEED to do this.

I don't have a pot to piss in, but I got about $3,000 to burn.

1. I need an enduro car (or truck)

2. What does it take to get a car ready for RR?

3. How do you get a rollcage inside a car? Does it require welding? If so, forget that because I know nothing about welding.

4. Will my $3,000 be enough? Because thats all I got

5. How about transporting a car? Could I just drive an enduro car to the track? If its not legal, would the cops just leave me alone and understand that I don't have money for, nor know nothing about hauling a car on a trailer?

Thank You

racing#s
02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
1. I need an enduro car (or truck) --The JAM classifieds has some 'turn key' cars ready to go....you need to decide which/what division you want to run in.All the divisions are competitive.
2. What does it take to get a car ready for RR? Timewise...it kinda depends if you are doing it alone,or if you have help...If it is done right it can take a hundred hours,or,if you 'throw' together a car,it can be done in 10 hours(with help)--it boils down to whether it's done right,or a quick throw together deal.
3. How do you get a rollcage inside a car? Does it require welding? If so, forget that because I know nothing about welding.
Rollcages aren't a must,but strongly recommended,again,it depends on who you know as far as a cage,you can buy the pipe,(then you need a pipe bender),then it needs to be welded in,or with some model cars,you can buy 'pre-bent' pipe,and then there's the option of buying a car already done,with a cage in it already.There are many options as far as a cage goes,none are cheap.
4. Will my $3,000 be enough? Because thats all I got-you can easily get a car for under $3k.,but your next question is what needs to be figured out
first, (without a way to tow your car to the track,you can't race)...You really need a vehicle with a tow hitch,and a tow bar/tow dolly,or trailer. Or,you will need someone to tow your car for you...(which is a hassle)
5. How about transporting a car? Could I just drive an enduro car to the track? If its not legal, would the cops just leave me alone and understand that I don't have money for, nor know nothing about hauling a car on a trailer? Cops will impound your racecar,they don't care if you don't have money,you will have a few grand in tickets if you get pulled over.
If you're serious about racing,the tow vehicle,and trailer/dolly or tow bar has to be figured out first,UNLESS,you have someone who will be dedicated to
towing your vehicle to the track.
good luck....hope this helps...

killa54
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
dont blow your hole wad. make sure your safe, its the most important thing, but before you spend it all, you wanna know if its the thing for you. also, go to u-haul or budget to rent a dolly/trailer. its very cheap.

DJB74
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
You could also buy a used car and gut it yourself. It's mostly removing glass, seats, the interior and such. But there are a few other things you have to do like cutting a hole in the hood and chaining or bolting the door shut. If you haven't already done so, make sure you look at the rules for each Enduro division which are posted on the Riverhead Raceway web site.

richardpetey
02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Plenty of enduro cars out there for half that money.................:rolleyes:
Get some seat time first, then put the remainder of your bucks into safety and speed....IN THAT ORDER..................:cool:
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

RGeeProductions
02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Honestly, due to your 5th question, I wouldn't get into racing just yet!!!:confused:

intruder400ex
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
why dont you attend the races a few times first if this isnt a bs pulling everyones chain post and the other things you need is lots of time dedication punching bag counter band aids medical ins. common sense and also at times bail money from when someone puts you in the wall and claims it was a race deal!

nobandwagonhere
02-22-2010, 01:15 PM
for 3000 I got the PERFECT car for you! :rolleyes:

A69pizzoo
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey steve i never got arrested from that wreck with you know who.

vsmidge68
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Are you serious? :confused:

Racin Bran
02-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the responses. Its been a while, but I've been thinking about this ever since.

I think my biggest problem is transporting the thing. I don't want to put the horse before the carriage. Or in this case, the car before the trailer. Or something like that.

I know nuthin about hauling cars. So:

1. Do you need a special license to drive a car with a trailer?
2. If so, how much money does it cost and is there a stupid test or something?
3. I don't trust myself to drive a vehicle with a trailer. I'd probably forget I was hauling something and just turn the car as if I had nothing behind me taking out 7 Ferraris and a Bentley.
4. But if thats what I need to do to go racing, I'll do it anyway.
5. Can I get one of those silver things with the ball on the end that trailers attach to (I think) and attach it to my car?
6. Can cars tow cars? (I think I've only seen trucks carry stuff)

I know I seem like I don't know what I'm doing, and I don't, but I will learn and I really wanna do this. I've waited long enough. I wanted to do this last year actually but I was to laz...

I've seen videos on youtube. Thats all the inspiration I need. I need to do this.

And no, I'm not kidding (if you're refering to me). This stuff isn't common sense. No one was born knowing all this. I didn't grow up around people who did this or knew anything about racing. All the people I know hate racing. Theres no way I would know any of these things. I once saw a poster that said an expert in anything was once a beginner. That poster stuck in my head because its true!

racing#s
02-25-2010, 06:35 AM
1. Do you need a special license to drive a car with a trailer? NO SPECIAL LICENSE UNLESS YOU'RE OPERATING A TOW VEHICLE(FLATBED/TOW TRUCK...)THEN I BELIEVE YOU NEED A SPECIAL COMMERCIAL TYPE LICENSE.
2. If so, how much money does it cost and is there a stupid test or something? UNLESS YOU'RE BUYING A TOW TRUCK,OR FLATBED,YOU NEED NO TESTS.
3. I don't trust myself to drive a vehicle with a trailer. I'd probably forget I was hauling something and just turn the car as if I had nothing behind me taking out 7 Ferraris and a Bentley. YOU WILL HAVE TO DISCIPLINE YOURSELF WHEN TOWING,I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE TO GO OVER 65MPH. YOU HAVE TO BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS,IF IT'S RAINING,REDUCE YOUR SPEEDS,IT TAKES MUCH LONGER TO STOP. SOME TRAILERS COMES WITH BRAKES THAT WILL BRAKE WHEN YOUR VEHICLE BRAKES ,SOME DO NOT.
4. But if thats what I need to do to go racing, I'll do it anyway. YOU CAN RENT,AS MENTIONED,BUT WHEN YOU RENT,AFTER YOU ADD UP ALL THE TIMES YOU PAID TO RENT,YOU COULD HAVE PURCHASED YOUR OWN TRAILER,OR TOW DOLLY.
5. Can I get one of those silver things with the ball on the end that trailers attach to (I think) and attach it to my car? I THINK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A TOW DOLLY,(WHERE ONLY THE FRONT WHEELS GO UP ON THE TRAILER),THEY'RE OK,AND CHEAPER,BUT,IF YOU GET AXLE DAMAGE ON YOUR RACE VEHICLE,IT CAN BE A BIG PROBLEM
6. Can cars tow cars? (I think I've only seen trucks carry stuff)
GENERALLY,THE VEHICLE TOWING SHOULD OUT-WEIGH WHAT YOURE TOWING,IT SHOULD
HAVE AT LEAST A 6CYL,BETTER IF ITS AN 8CYL.,IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR'E TOWING. I WOULDN'T TOW A RACECAR AND TRAILER WITH A TOYOTA COROLLA IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Racin Bran
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
1. Doesnt the trailer have to have a license plate that says trailer on the bottom? Thats why I said do you need to get a special license. I'm guessing if you rent, the trailer comes with a license. If you buy, do you need to put a license plate on it? If so, do you take it off the car and put it on the trailer instead.

2. How much do these trailers cost that you put the whole car on and where can one be bought?

3. What is the likelihood that the axle would get damaged with the tow dolly that only half the car goes on? I read in an owners manual that a car with wheels on the ground shouldn't be towed for more than 50 miles. Is that what you're talking about? If thats true, did the book mean 50 miles at a time or 50 miles ever. Meaning that once you tow it 50 miles, you can never tow it again that way.

broz
02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Andy, I would suggest you attend as many races as you can this season at Riverhead. This isn't something you just jump into. Your questions suggest you have little or no experience at all.
Most of your questions could be answered by simple observation at the track.
Get out there and make some friends, I think you'll find many would be to help get you started.

fisherman
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
best bet is to help someone for a year and learn, you have no idea what your gonna need and do. goodluck on your decision

Dave A
02-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Come hang out in the #73 Grand pit! Im kind of new but will help you out anyway i can! Dave:cheers:

racing#s
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Intruder's right...if you'd like,the best thing for you is to observe,
'Team Pitbull' will have 2 Enduro Trucks,and a 4 cyl Enduro car at
the first & 2d practices. Feel free to stop by and hang in the pits,#18 truck,#29 truck,and the only Mercedes Benz in the pits(4 cyl.car). Check out the vehicles,the trailers,..etc.
We will gladly field whatever questions you have...
Further,if you don't want to wait till April, we're frequently working on the racecars saturday mornings at pitbull motors in Freeport, stop in there as well...

intruder400ex
03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
I really need to meet this guy! If hes for real he must be a pissa. If your not comfortable pulling a trailer please dont enter a race at Riverhead. Theres a really fast go kart track in ronkonkoma or even Selden.