PDA

View Full Version : Most prestigious modified race

Bobby1717
02-15-2010, 07:41 PM
It was great watching Nascar Now tonight. Bono in his interview mentioned that the Thompson 300 was the most prestigious race for the mods. He said winning the 300 was the most prestigious before the Daytona win. Mike Masaro busted his chops at the end of the interview and said he could not believe he didn' think the Spring Sizzler wasn't the biggest race with the mods. Two plugs for the mods the day after Daytona.....not bad.

So now I want to know what everyone thinks is the biggest race is with the modifieds now or present?

1. Sizzler
2. Thompson 300
3. Other

My choice is the 300. I always looked forward to it even though I did not see many. I have a feeling Pocono may win out with some of you.

limodmaniac
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
To me it always used to be the Pocono Race of Champions.

Then it was winning at Martinsville.

Then the Spring Sizzler. So that gets my vote.

I also used to think it was a big thing if you could win the 4 big September races. Starting Labor Day weekend with Oswego and Stafford, Then the 300, followed by Pocono.

The Sizzler was the first race I ever saw at Stafford, back when Greg Sacks was racing.. He had just destroyed the competition in Florida and everyone was waiting to see what he would do up north.

Just walking around the pits that day I was in awe of all the cars..I think Jimmy Spencer couldn't even qualify for the race.

The memory of Sacks winning what was already then a huge race still makes that race extra special each year. Though now, I think it has lost some of its luster. Now, it's sort of become just another Whelen Tour race.

Maybe if Thompson started the 300 again, it would take on more importance for me.. Something revived that you thought was gone forever.

Honestly in some ways, the biggest race of the year for me now is Seekonk Open.. Good money to win, and usually a wide variety of drivers from different series showing up.. That's what makes the race special.. So you know what I think I'm changing my vote and picking that one! Even though I'm sure all the drivers would think either the Sizzler or 300 would be a bigger race to win.

As far as prestige goes, you have to consider either of the Louden races or Bristol too. I don't think there is a driver out there who wouldn't pick either of those over Stafford or Thompson.

Unless, it's the 5000 to win Riverhead Tour race.

The Bullfather
02-15-2010, 08:12 PM
ROC Pocono and before that Trenton was the king of the hill!!!

ThE sHaDoW
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree with LImodmaniac

GLC050
02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Thompson 300, The toughest race to win hands down..........

RGeeProductions
02-15-2010, 09:07 PM

I am with that also!!!!

oleblue
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
by far the 300 was the best, miss that race so very much. first race i saw with my grandpa back in 1980. sure wish they would bring that race back. big big mistake getting rid of the 300. the highlight of the year when it was around:)

Axel
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
the 300 gets my vote for sure from snowy NJ.

I really miss that race. Your driver and your equipment had to be on top of your game for that one.

Rentawrench
02-15-2010, 10:04 PM
The first few Sizzlers an The RACE They were Before Nascar took them over .

race11car
02-15-2010, 10:08 PM
For me personally nothing can compare to being 16 years old and walking into the pits @ Pocono. Seeing drivers from all over the Eastern Seaboard was amazing. I enjoyed that experience so much I ended up choosing Wilkes University about 45 minutes from there. I would take rides up there all the time just to relive all the great memories..I would definitley put the 300 second though. I'll never forget Jimmy Spencer dumping Jeff Fuller coming out of turn two right by the opening. The #21 car was JUNK...Just as we all have these memories there are 16 yr olds walking into the pits that are creating their own memories. Thats why we really do have the BEST sport and BEST extended families...

MJProcko
02-16-2010, 01:12 AM
The Race of Champions at Pocono, It was where I got to see all the cars that I had only read about in Speedway Scene. Watching Reggie go back to front 3 times in a 50+ car field for the win is probably the greatest performance in a modified ever.

The Thompson 300 and the Cardinal 500 at Martinsville are definately a close second.

The big question is what is the most prestigeous modified race now?

Spring Sizzler?
Loudon?
Bristol?
Martinsville?
N/S SHootout?
Ice Breaker?

catfish
02-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Pocono ROC and now probably the 2 race series at New Hampshire as the stage is really the largest

CynthiaTork
02-16-2010, 10:13 AM
The Sizzler prior to it becoming 'just another tour' race. Make it an open again, and it'll go back to it's glory days.

I still miss Oswego's Bud Mod 200.

But for current races, NHMS has to be tops

Sicklajoie
02-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Pocono ROC

Jaws
02-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Pocono ROC

By a long shot, 55 mods on the gas coming out of turn 4.

Chris
02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Martinsville get my vote!!!

GLC050
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Thompson 300 is a 2 pit stop race, that makes the race team very important in how you finish. Pocono was a GREAT Event but not a great race. My vote for current races is NH. Great event and a good race-but only big money can win, just look at the past winners and there teams.......

burtmyers1
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
For Southerners - Martinsville, North Wilkesboro, Stadium 200(or 400 or 300 depending on the decade)

Up North I would say the 300 or Pocono

Current - New Hampshire, Concord, Bristol, Martinsville

AlkyMadness
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
I remember as a kid, in Buffalo area in the 60's, the two big races was the Race of Champions and the race in Trenton. They always had a Trenton Qualifier at Lancaster and a lot of the big names from down east would come up.

Now that I live in NC, I'm still inclined to say the ROC is prestigious. I think the North/South at Concord would be and Martinsville is always big. Also the Turkey Derby.

I thought the tour stop at Richmond would have taken off, but it wasn't given a chance to grow. I wonder how long the Bristol event will last.

stoningtonmodmania
02-17-2010, 01:50 AM
im gonna hav to say the 300...but the n/s shootout a very close second

jandj
02-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Now that I live in NC, I'm still inclined to say the ROC is prestigious. I think the North/South at Concord would be and Martinsville is always big. Also the Turkey Derby.

I thought the tour stop at Richmond would have taken off, but it wasn't given a chance to grow. I wonder how long the Bristol event will last.

Being from Va. Martinsville and the Shootout get my vote for best Southern events..of course, they don't hold a candle to the old Martinsville Spring/Fall 250 doubleheaders.

Richmond went away mostly because adding the USAC sprints as the Friday night show was a better fit with the Silver Crown/Indy car weekend. It eliminated some of tthe garage/pit pass hassles that exisited because of the different rules between NASCAR and The IRL. I hated to see the Mods go, but it did make for a better weekend for the fans. Shame the whole thing is gone now.

KyleMac45
02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I wanna say Turkey Derby or North South Shootout

Kyle

44YEARWALLMOD
02-18-2010, 01:35 PM
THEIR WILL NEVER BE A MOD RACE LIKE THE ROC AT TRENTON I GET GOOSE BUMPS JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. OVER 75 CARS WITH THE BEST OF THE BEST. YOU WOULD WALK AROUND WITH THE DRIVERS AND THE CARS WE SHOULD OF NEVER LOST THAT TRACK. TO THE OLD TIMERS OUT THEIR WHO WOULD TIE A GOAT TO THEIR CAR SO NO ONE WOULD GET CLOSE NASTY SOB HE WAS. ALSO A PLUG FOR THE EARLY TURKEY DERBYS THEY TO HAD THE BEST OF THE BEST STANDING TO PIT LINE WITH RICHIE, FRED, CHARLIE J AND SNOWING LIKE HELL IF ONLY WE COULD GO BACK IN TIME!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

ModTourMan
02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
ROC at Pocono...especially on the 3/4 mile track!

mikel 3
02-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Why don't we do the Best race you have seen in say the last 15 years.That should be good putting the race to the driver and even inculde the car number for some of us with bad memories.The Thompson 300 was an awesome racesometime but not all of them were.The 2001 300 was awesome Jerry Marquis driving a backup Boehler 34 winning that race was awesome thats for sure.Then you have the 300 broken up into segments not so good.The loudon races back 95 ,96 and 97 Park ,stefanik Reggie Hirshman now those were awesome.You can even include both races from last year in there too.The n/s Shootout early years were really good too.However the past several years with basically no tech run what you brung,Big motors ,traction control, tire soaking and so on,not so good.My favorite the 20001 Thompson 300 hands down.Whats yours,lets see what you come up with.

GLC050
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
2001 NH Hirschman goes from 8th to WIN in 3 Laps, passes TC on the outside to win by three car lengths. Great race.:)

Hilo Man
02-20-2010, 11:38 AM
how about richmond under the lights. I know one team that will never forget that race. their first tour win.

Teds Race Tours
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
To me its not even close. The 1982 Pocono ROC was my 1st ever race off of Long Island and I never missed an ROC at Pocono or Flemington again. The 10 Races I saw at Pocono will be fondly remembered as my 10 favorite races of all time. When I hit lotto......It's Back.

The Thompson 300 was great for other reasons. It had a New England Flair, so you'd have some cars that ran it that wouldn't run the ROC. Would love for Thompson to put on an open Comp 300.

NHMS is by far the best events we have now, but Richmond would be on par if they ran their.

Would also love Stafford to Try Something. Run a 150 Lap Tour Race on Saturday. Run an 80 Lap Open Comp Sizzler on Sunday.

zombo
02-25-2010, 12:07 PM
pocono roc is the most, but with that gone the most prestigious is winning either nhis race.

jayvincent
03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
ROC Pocono and before that Trenton was the king of the hill!!!

I'll second that

MOD JUNKIE
04-17-2010, 02:37 PM
I could be wrong but I think if you asked the drivers most would want a Martinsville win. jmo

grinch
04-18-2010, 07:52 PM
from the early nascar days...it was the martinsville clock that everyone wanted.....
When the first ice breaker races were held they had anything racing in them..cutdowns,coupes,sprints that was a fun race!
the first races on the 3/4 mile track at pocono were breathtaking.........
but the weekly races at tracks like norwood...stafford....thompson....malta....riversi de..all the little small tracks had all a fan could wish for .......the bugsy and freddie show......slater...flemke...dostie...johnny thompson..frito bandito...there were so many names it`s impossible to list them all.......those were the days

Axel
04-19-2010, 08:20 AM
I think that many of the big races have become a little dull. Nothing really special about them anymore. The New Hampshire races always have a lot of intrigue and a big race feel about them. Same with the Iceberaker and Sizzler, but it's the same ol same ol. Martinsville is still cool with the big ole clock.

I think the one race that's differnt, that means alot and that has a lot of prestige in the modified world at least is the North South Shootout.

BChat
04-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Bring back the Riverside 500 - that was prestigious - :wave: