PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying Helmet

Racin Bran
03-09-2010, 02:48 AM
So wheres a cheap place to get one? Where did you get yours? Saferacer.com? Ebay?

I need something rated snell 2000 or greater (whatever that means. atcually I'm starting to understand what that means)

I want a helmet for go-karting, but I also want it to be able to used for regular racing (enduro) as well. I wanna pay as little as possible. I won't get the cheapest one available if it will kill me, but I don't want to pay any more than I have to.

So if you do enduro racing, you probably have a helmet and if its a good one, you are probably able to remember where you got it. If you can't, then you've probably been wearing a helmet I don't want anyway.

Are motorcycle helmets acceptable? I don't mean those ugly dirt bike helmets. I mean regular motorcycle helmets.

Tracy87BB
03-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Motorcycle helmets may have a DOT rating without a Snell rating.

Here is an interesting article I stumbled across:
http://ezinearticles.com/?DOT-and-Snell-Motorcycle-Helmets:-Understanding-DOT-and-Snell-Ratings&id=224696

When it comes to your helmet, this is one area where I would not recommend skimping. That's not to say you can't find a good helmet at an affordable price...just be careful, because you will often find that you get what you pay for.

Tracy87BB
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Another thing you may want to consider...rules right now require a Snell 2000 rating or better. Snell 2010 rated helmets will be available beginning in October of 2010. It may be a wise idea for you to consider getting something with a Snell 2005 rating; it may cost you more $$$ than a Snell 2000 helmet now, but will save you money when the required rating goes up to the Snell 2005. Remember that you are talking about your brain...

art11758
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Long Island Driveshaft sells safety equipment at cost. Here is a link to his profile on this board:

http://www.racerhub.com/forum/member.php?2047-SuperShafts

Racin Bran
03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
MY brain isnt worth saving. But I know what you mean. I saw some helmets on amazon or something that said SA2005. I guess SA means snell. (thats not how I would spell it). I was planning on getting a 2005 one anyway. I'd still like to not spend anymore than I have to. I don't have much $ so I have to spend it sparingly. More $ on a helmet means less money to spend on other things...like...Taco Bell. :p

Tracy87BB
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
The "SA" refers to special applications (such as racing). This is the type of rating you will need if you are planning to use your helmet for racing.

Snell actually has a wide variety of uses that they certify helmets for - from harness racing to bicycles.

LongIslandJam
03-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Three areas I would focus on:

* Helmet
* Fire suit (preferably more than one layer), including gloves and shoes
* A good seat that fits you (that's the key - fit), includes solid head rests, is properly installed, and features up-to-date belts.

Yes, good safety equipment costs money, but the potential time missed from work because you wanted to save a few dollars far outweighs the initial equipment cost.

Best wishes and have fun!:cheers:

outlawfab
03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
must be snell 2005 for karts

SuperShafts
03-21-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't have much $ so I have to spend it sparingly.

Yeah i used to say that about certain equipment.... except not personal safety, but why by a expensive floor jack when these sissor or screw jacks or ramps do the same thing... then my car which only sits at 3.5" off the floor almost got to it's 3400 lb ride height while i was under it....
I now have more jacks and stands then professional shops....

Instead of taco bell, all my money went into the driveline..... (im hitting that comment too....)

More $ on a helmet means less money to spend on other things...like...Taco Bell. :p

If you want to be competitive in racing and don't have huge funds (as i did) you don't go to taco bell, you don't eat out, you don't go drinking on weekends.... (leave the girls alone......killer money, like having a boat ((another issue)))
You go to work and perfect your skill driving and making whatever it is you have perform better then everyone else's

__________________________________________________ ___

Depending what kart you are driving....a BS helmet, touching someones tires once can end your career talking or walking, let along driving.

Besides spending money at taco bell will make you heavier....not spending money eating will make you lighter, depending on the rules, could give you an advantage adding weight where you need it.

__________________________________________________ ______

N E V E R - E V E R throw your helmet in anger at someone because you got spun or something.....

1. it's fairy
2. a helmet is only designed to be HIT - O N C E (or thrown once)
3. throwing or having a helmet that was hit means you should get a new one..

Racin Bran
03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Well I sent that guy a message a few days ago. Now we play the waiting game. I once waited 48 hours for a bus...

it never came.

SuperShafts
04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I have the same problem... gotta be 5 days now.

Just see www.supershafts.com and use that #

Racin Bran
04-07-2010, 05:03 PM
yeah. I got your message like 2-3 days ago. (I wish this site had an email notification of PM's, unless it already does and I just have it turned off)

Theres not much to look at on that website besides logos (lol). I think I will stop by the store. I'm not in a real hurry right now. :cool:

SuperShafts
04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Look at the sites and see which helmet you are interested in and give me a call...

The site has the links to the manufactures i carry, also has my ph #